BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 5:51:08 PM EDT
[#1]
@j3_
Ok, so the JP A-10 spring is made to fit right in a Mil Spec Carbine Length Buffer Tube without any modifications required.  So mine is installed in an LMT Mil Spec Carbine Length Receiver Extension.  I just removed the Buffer Retainer in my LMT Lower to make it easier to remove and clean the JP Spring in the future.  It does come with a 2.5'' or so Nylon Spacer so that, in theory I could install this JP Spring in any sized Receiver Extension;  Carbine Length AR-10, Carbine Length AR-15, or Rifle Length A2 Style Receiver Extensions will all accept this particular JP SCS pack.  The only Buffer Tube it will not work with would be a Pistol Length Receiver Extension, but, I believe they have a SCS for those as well.

I believe the reason That JP Enterprises made this is due to the ever increasing market for shorter OAL Rifles.  One could also use a JP SCS10 and build an AR-10 with an AR-15 Buffer Tube, install a 13.7 P/W Barrel and end up with a Large Frame AR sporting an OAL of just 32 1/4".  I might just.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 6:02:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm curious why this would offer different results than a standard configuration with a tuned gas block. In my mind, increasing the weight and resistance of the buffer would counter an overgassed system, but a gas system that is correctly tuned should offer similar results, or better, because the reciprocating mass is smaller, right?

Isn't it typical in 3gun, etc for shooters to use reduced mass BCGs, buffers, etc and then tune for the conditions and ammo to have the least amount of mass in the system but have it timed correctly in order to offer the least possible felt recoil and flattest-shooting configuration?

Obviously tuning for conditions and a specific ammo is tedious, especially for a go-to rifle, but if I understand it correctly, the underlying principle of tuning the gas system to work without increasing the weight of the system being preferable to other remedies would apply to an SBR with a standard bcg as well. What am I missing?
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
An important variable that hasn’t been mentioned is ammunition.

What are you using?
View Quote
@Tim_in_CO

*EDITED
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 6:20:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
An important variable that hasn’t been mentioned is ammunition.

What are you using?
View Quote
@Tim_in_CO

Valid point made, luckily, I actually keep a log of the first 1000 rounds of a new gun and a perminate log of any LR Firearm, I have found this information of value in the case any malfunctions require troubleshooting and or adjustments are made, so I can actually tell you exactly what I have fired with this particular LMT Build   Unfortunately some of you will be disappointed as I have no information on any Steel Cased ammunition.  Sorry.

Aguila, 62 GR FMJ-  560 rounds
Frontier 5.56, 62 GR FMJ-   280 rounds
Black Hills MK262, 77 OTM- 50 rounds  *Firearm is zeroed with MK262
Federal Lake City M855a1, 62GR EPR - 30 rounds
Federal XM193, 55GR FMJ- 56 rounds
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 7:24:05 PM EDT
[#5]
@Daggertt
Well, depending on Gasport Length, it may or may not make much of a difference.  One thing I do know for certain is this-  adjustable gas blocks burn out a lot faster than many people might think.  The extremely high temperatures mixed with extremely high gas pressure creates a very corrosive environment for almost all alloys and just blows the adjustment screw tip away within a few hundred shots.  INMO adjustable gas blocks are not consistent and reliable methods of obtaining increased dwell times and decreased felt recoil.  Longer Gasport Lengths I think are considerably better options than an Adjustable Gas Block to increase dwell time, and I believe this JP SCS 10H2 or AR-10 Buffer Tubes w/ AR-10 Springs are  better ways of decreasing felt recoil because you are adding length you are not just changing buffer weights.  You are changing the characteristics of Your Buffer Spring.  The JP is much smoother, much quieter and the spring is tuned to create the characteristics you are chasing with a adjustable GB

I feel changes like Mid Length Barrels and JP SCS's become permanent fixtures of your firearms characteristics whereas an adjustable GB is simply a wear part. And, one that needs regular attending to, but can also go unnoticed to the shooter because the issue arises at such slow rates you will always perceive them as the same as the last time you shot the gun.  Sort of in the way a Grandparent who sees Your Toddler for the first time in three months can't believe "how they have grown".  Also, Items offered like the LMT Enhanced Carrier which just dumps excess pressure at such high rates immediately upon the Piston/Bolt Rings passing the Carrier Gas Vents can really improve the reliability and felt recoil in you AR Platforms more reliably than adjustable GB's.

I use one adjustable GB on a LW Build and I have to turn the screw a bit almost every other time I shoot it.  I surmise it will last about a year before I will have to replace it. Think about it, Your Port radius erodes by 10% from .047.  WHAT IS THAT IN INCREASED VOLUME OF GAS? Seriously, I need help on this one, I'd like to know.  I have a hard time with area of a circle in fractions...LOL
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 8:12:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm curious why this would offer different results than a standard configuration with a tuned gas block. In my mind, increasing the weight and resistance of the buffer would counter an overgassed system, but a gas system that is correctly tuned should offer similar results, or better, because the reciprocating mass is smaller, right?

Isn't it typical in 3gun, etc for shooters to use reduced mass BCGs, buffers, etc and then tune for the conditions and ammo to have the least amount of mass in the system but have it timed correctly in order to offer the least possible felt recoil and flattest-shooting configuration?

Obviously tuning for conditions and a specific ammo is tedious, especially for a go-to rifle, but if I understand it correctly, the underlying principle of tuning the gas system to work without increasing the weight of the system being preferable to other remedies would apply to an SBR with a standard bcg as well. What am I missing?
View Quote
@Daggertt
I should also note, adding mass does add perceived felt recoil in a standard Buffer System for sure.  But, somehow, in  this obviously heavier JP SCS, the only difference I perceive is a massive decrease in felt recoil and muzzle rise.

I do own a tricked out Competition Gun- LW V-Seven running Ti BCG, aluminum buffer weights, very aggressive MB and a Ti adjustable gas block, it runs great with a few ammo types of the same weight now that it is tuned correctly,  The GB Burns out and needs tending to often.  It was the flattest shooting firearm I owned, maybe even ever fired, until I shot this 10-5 LMT with this JP SCS 10H2???I only decided to post about this setup after I had four different gun buddies shoot it and saw the same jaw dropping reactions as I had.  I think 2 of them even said "man, this thing shoots nicer than Your V-Seven, which as stated above is a competition gun I would never consider betting my life on after it got dirty.  If I hit 1000 rounds with no malfunctions, I will mount a D-Bal and M600DF on this LMT and it will be what I'm grabbing on my way out the door.  I may even consider a high end lightweight 1-4 LPVO for it with a very simple reticle.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 10:14:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
.If you are familiar to the SBR, rapid target acquisition game, you will probably know that most short Barrels ARE OVERGASSED.  SO TO ANSWER @TaylorWSO , NO, My Factory LMT MLC Complete(one of the best modern rifles on the market) isn't particularly overgassed when compared to anything else a Military would purchase, pretty much all 10-3 and 10-5 and 11-5 barrels are overgassed, and are usually ported around .070. For example, the URG-i is ported at .076 where as my 14-5 V7 Barrel is ported at .050+-
View Quote
1. not all SBRs are over gassed, most newer run a adj gas block or loner gas systems to take care of the problem, not deal with the symptoms

BTW LMTs have had a long history of being undergassed and then they opened up the ports to make them overgassed because of the complaints. Used to be a sticky about the 10" guns in the SBR forum a long time ago.
2. If you put in a heavy buffer/longer cycle time and it runs with "less recoil" it was over gassed.
3. your "flatter shooting" is called "faster follow up" Sounds like a holdover form a video game verbiage like the "rapid target acquisition game"
4. If you put a can on there it will be over gassed again. (get a gas block)
5. I'm glad you found a fix for your rifle
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 6:25:20 PM EDT
[#8]
*EDIT
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Taylor WSO:
1. not all SBRs are over gassed, most newer run a adj gas block or loner gas systems to take care of the problem, not deal with the symptoms

BTW LMTs have had a long history of being undergassed and then they opened up the ports to make them overgassed because of the complaints. Used to be a sticky about the 10" guns in the SBR forum a long time ago.
2. If you put in a heavy buffer/longer cycle time and it runs with "less recoil" it was over gassed.
3. your "flatter shooting" is called "faster follow up" Sounds like a holdover form a video game verbiage like the "rapid target acquisition game"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Taylor WSO:
Quoted:
.If you are familiar to the SBR, rapid target acquisition game, you will probably know that most short Barrels ARE OVERGASSED.  SO TO ANSWER @TaylorWSO , NO, My Factory LMT MLC Complete(one of the best modern rifles on the market) isn't particularly overgassed when compared to anything else a Military would purchase, pretty much all 10-3 and 10-5 and 11-5 barrels are overgassed, and are usually ported around .070. For example, the URG-i is ported at .076 where as my 14-5 V7 Barrel is ported at .050+-

@)Taylor WSO
Ignoring all points but 5- That, and now 2 other high end factory built guns.  Just ran it in My KAC 14-5 Mod 2 E3 URX4, LOVED IT
2) I believe I refer flat shooting to mean my reticle is on target instantly for follow up shots because, flat shooting bullet trajectories don't really matter to me at all,  I hit 1000 yard targets whether my Dope is 20 mils or 75. BOOM
3) Troll
4) Under gassed is spelled with two words
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 5:24:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Clone Incorrect(w/ Intent) Federal HRT- Running at 560 rounds, no failures, on a JP Enterprises AR-10 H2 Captured Buffer System in a Colt FBI Contract, Green, CARBINE LENGTH Receiver Extension, SPECS BELOW. I wanted to post this to show a completely different platform running with, so far, a 100% success rate.  Its not 100% done, still waiting for 1) SBR Stamp, 2) TAPS, 3) UNITY 1.93 Mount for the T2, 4) KAC USMC Rear & DD Fixed Front BUIS, 5) SF Warcomp, 6)SF SOCOM 2 RS

Anyway, the JP AR-10 SCS made a very pleasant addition to this build when compared to itself in standard configuration running an H2 Buffer and LMT Carbine Length Spring.

Optics and Illumination
Aimpoint T2 UNITY 1.93 mount on order, current mount is Scalarworks 1/3
SF M600 w/ LaRue LT272 and soon to be replaced CLOUD Defense Mounted Pressure Switch
Steiner D-BaL I2, TAPS on order
Upper-Unmarked???Colt Receiver, V-Seven FA
Colt 11-5 SOCOM Barrel w/ taper pinned shaved FSGB & V-Seven Extended A2 Comp
Geissele REBCG
Geissele MK4 10" Federal Green
Geissele Government CH, Federal Green
Magpul Wedge and M Lok Rail Covers
Lower-Geissele Super Duty Receiver
Colt Receiver Extension, Federal Green- Mil Spec Carbine Length
Buffer System- JP Enterprises AR-10 H2 SCS- Yes, the JP AR-10 Captured Buffer Systems work very well on ALL of My Mil Spec Short Barreled and very much over gassed(per mil spec) AR-15's so far.  Really calms them down a lot.
Geissele Ultra Duty LPK w/ Dog Leg Selector Levers
Geissele SSA-E
Furniture- BCM Mod 3 PG, SBa3 PB in ODG
Okay Inds. Surefeed E2 Mags, I"ve become a big fan of these Mags in the past few months
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 5:42:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Clone Incorrect(w/ Intent) Federal HRT- Running at 560 rounds, no failures, on a JP Enterprises AR-10 H2 Captured Buffer System in a Colt FBI Contract, Green, CARBINE LENGTH Receiver Extension, SPECS BELOW. I wanted to post this to show a completely different platform running with, so far, a 100% success rate.  Its not 100% done, still waiting for 1) SBR Stamp, 2) TAPS, 3) UNITY 1.93 Mount for the T2, 4) KAC USMC Rear & DD Fixed Front BUIS, 5) SF Warcomp, 6)SF SOCOM 2 RS
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/484978/20200210_145757-1271301.jpghttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/484978/20200210_150045-1271300.jpg
Optics and Illumination
Aimpoint T2 UNITY 1.93 mount on order, current mount is Scalarworks 1/3
SF M600 w/ LaRue LT272 and soon to be replaced CLOUD Defense Mounted Pressure Switch
Steiner D-BaL I2, TAPS on order
Upper-Unmarked???Colt Receiver, V-Seven FA
Colt 11-5 SOCOM Barrel w/ taper pinned shaved FSGB & V-Seven Extended A2 Comp
Geissele REBCG
Geissele MK4 10" Federal Green
Geissele Government CH, Federal Green
Magpul Wedge and M Lok Rail Covers
Lower-Geissele Super Duty Receiver
Colt Receiver Extension, Federal Green- Mil Spec Carbine Length
Buffer System- JP Enterprises AR-10 H2 SCS- Yes, the JP AR-10 Captured Buffer Systems work very well on ALL of My Mil Spec Short Barreled and very much over gassed(per mil spec) AR-15's so far.  Really calms them down a lot.
Geissele Ultra Duty LPK w/ Dog Leg Selector Levers
Geissele SSA-E
Furniture- BCM Mod 3 PG, SBa3 PB in ODG
Okay Inds. Surefeed E2 Mags, I"ve become a big fan of these Mags in the past few months
View Quote
I was unaware Unity Tactical made a 1.93" mount. I thought they only offered the 2.26" FAST mount for Aimpoint micros.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 6:04:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was unaware Unity Tactical made a 1.93" mount. I thought they only offered the 2.26" FAST mount for Aimpoint micros.
View Quote
Well @Daggett, you may well be correct.  I had assumed UNITY's FAST Mount was the "Standard 1.93 height" which One usually sees marketed for NV Steups.  Either way, yes, that's the one I bought.  In Black of course.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 6:09:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Well @Daggett, you may well be correct.  I had assumed UNITY's FAST Mount was the "Standard 1.93 height" which One usually sees marketed for NV Steups.  Either way, yes, that's the one I bought.  In Black of course.
View Quote
I have a couple of them. I like them. And one of the benefits of them being higher than 1.93 is that you can use BUIS underneath (through) the mount, where a 1.93 blocks standard AR-height sights. Also, the 2.26" lines it up with the flip to center Unity magnifier mount, which I find very appealing.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 6:27:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have a couple of them. I like them. And one of the benefits of them being higher than 1.93 is that you can use BUIS underneath (through) the mount, where a 1.93 blocks standard AR-height sights. Also, the 2.26" lines it up with the flip to center Unity magnifier mount, which I find very appealing.
View Quote
Yes, I may aun a 6x magnifier on this.  I have a couple setups in 3x, I think it would be cool to have the 6x mounted on a WILCOX Dovetail mount...I have an MP5 with another aimpoint T2 on a Scalarworks 1/3 co/wit. mount.  That mount allows perfect see through use of the very good HK Irons.  I could see that as being of great value in the UNITY FAST mount.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 6:51:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yes, I may aun a 6x magnifier on this.  I have a couple setups in 3x, I think it would be cool to have the 6x mounted on a WILCOX Dovetail mount...I have an MP5 with another aimpoint T2 on a Scalarworks 1/3 co/wit. mount.  That mount allows perfect see through use of the very good HK Irons.  I could see that as being of great value in the UNITY FAST mount.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The beauty of the Unity magnifier mount is that it doesn't hang off the side of the gun. It stows in the center line of the rifle, below the red dot. Then flips up for use. I've tried using magnifiers in the past and always ended up leaving them off because I hated having the magnifier off to the side snagging on stuff and throwing off the balance of the gun.

Fun fact, the 1.93 scalarworks also allows the use of HK diopter sights underneath on an AR (but obscures standard height sights).
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 9:13:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
When did "flat shooting" change from describing bullet trajectory to perceived recoil?
View Quote
At least a decade ago.  Context distinguishes between the two.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 9:20:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm intrigued.

Would this work on a 16"?

I know you are focusing on sbr/pistol lengths, but if it would work on a 16" mid-gas (and not screw up reliability) it could be a good upgrade.

I'm all about reducing lag time between shots caused by muzzle movement.
View Quote
I use a standard weight AR15 SCS on an 18" and 20" rifles.  Both with rifle gas, adjustable gas blocks, and muzzle brakes/compensators.  I can watch my bullets hit steel.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 11:55:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I use a standard weight AR15 SCS on an 18" and 20" rifles.  Both with rifle gas, adjustable gas blocks, and muzzle brakes/compensators.  I can watch my bullets hit steel.
View Quote
@Vespid_Wasp
The 2) AR-10 JP SCS's are the first and only SCS's I have ever owned.  I was wondering how the AR-15 configuration would run in my SPR.  I am about to have a Can for it and the rifle length Buffer I have now is crazy loud, especially since I started shooting with 3M-Peltor's.  I imagine the Buffer noise will be more noticeable when Suppressed.

Have you tried Your 18" Suppressed with a JP SCS installed?  

If so, did You need to change Buffer Weights or Springs?

Also, what Buffer weight are you using in Your current AR-15 JP SCS's.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 3:12:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Have you tried Your 18" Suppressed with a JP SCS installed?  

If so, did You need to change Buffer Weights or Springs?

Also, what Buffer weight are you using in Your current AR-15 JP SCS's.
View Quote
My 18" and 20" rifles are both fitted with brakes that are no suppressor mounts.  I have not tried the SCS on either of my suppressed guns.  (16" mid gas and 11.5" carbine).  When I get a chance to get to the range, I will swap it into them and see how it goes.

My SCS is setup with all steel weights, no tungsten.  So it is the lightest configuration that they offer.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 3:36:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm intrigued.

Would this work on a 16"?

I know you are focusing on sbr/pistol lengths, but if it would work on a 16" mid-gas (and not screw up reliability) it could be a good upgrade.

I'm all about reducing lag time between shots caused by muzzle movement.
View Quote
@fla556guy

This is definitely NOT an apples to apple comparison because in addition to all the JP LMOS components, SCS and adjustable gas block, I am using a muzzle brake.   This is on an 18" barrel with rifle length gas.

But as for lag time between shots, here is a video of me shooting something of a 'hoser stage' a bunch of close paper.  Sorry about the vertical video.  :(

At 9 seconds I triple tap the paper because my reticle was still floating it's way towards the target when I broke my first shot.

Rifle doesn't move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMYTdsc3FUQ

And in this video you can see me spotting my own hits and moving to the next target before the ROs even have called hits on longer range steel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP8m0h7R2jA

My experience with adjustable gas blocks has been good but I wouldn't suggest that they will have an indefinite life span.

The next time I disassemble a rifle for some reason I will take some pics of the adjustment screw.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 5:23:00 PM EDT
[#21]
@fla556guy do you know your gasport diameter?  I could probably give you a good idea of what setup would be best if you can figure that out.

I do not have any 16" rifles anymore but, I have ran my AR-10H2 JP SCS on 2) 14-5 Mid Length Rifles(One is a Daniel Defense CHF URG-i, one is a LW Contour CHF Daniel Defense) and a KAC Intermediate Length 14-5, they all ran without any failures with one exception, the(LW Contour Daniel Defense Setup) has a Titanium BCG and it did not run well with that Ti BCG.  I replaced it with a Toolcraft BCG and it ran 100%.

I was only testing the JP SCS and have since put all rifles back to original configuration.  I will however, be purchasing at least one more SCS to try in my SPR if anything to eliminate Buffer noise.  It has a very resonante obnoxious twang that nearly makes the rifle unpleasant to shoot.  I would love to get rid of that twang.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 5:53:07 PM EDT
[#22]
@Vespid_Wasp
So, I was building a LW 14-5 Rifle last year, had to have a LW Build...  Ended up with a mostly V-Seven Rifle(I think everything but the barrel and AGB is V-7) Setup is-  Ti BCG, V-Seven FURION MB, DD LW 14-5 Mid Barrel, Mil Spec Spring w/ 1.7oz Buffer,Master of Arms ABG.  I am running the Master of Arms AGB to make it function properly only because I don't think there is any other way to make such a rifle function without an AGB.

When I built this Rifle I was able to have several conversations with Joel, the Owner of V-Seven and previous long time Manager of Noveske's Barrel Shop.  He took quite a lot of time to have several lengthy conversations with me and taught me a lot about AR's. Things like Gas Dwelltime, Buffer Dwelltime, Bolt Dwelltime, Port Size's, Port Lengths, How to Avoid Bolt Bounce etc, awesome Guy, I recommend V-Seven highly...

In the case of the above mentioned build, Joel did agreed that I would need to utilize an AGB if I wanted a LW Buffer, but he expressed the fact that they are not a good answer to any kind of Duty Weapon and are simply a wear part.  He said they were going to make Their own to sell but upon testing found them to wear out by 20-50% within a couple hundred rounds.  In my case, I am running a Ti AGB which is going to wear about as fast as possible(not a good thing, but this is a LW Rifle which I tune often and built for the sake of building LW).  I am sure you are aware, Ti is extremely corrosive under the pressure and heat.  Pressure and Heat being the downfall of the ADG, If One could find adjustment screws made of Stellite or Inconel, that might be a very good upgrade that could make them much more dependable for long term consistency in pressure regulation.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 8:07:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

In the case of the above mentioned build, Joel did agreed that I would need to utilize an AGB if I wanted a LW Buffer, but he expressed the fact that they are not a good answer to any kind of Duty Weapon and are simply a wear part.  He said they were going to make Their own to sell but upon testing found them to wear out by 20-50% within a couple hundred rounds.  
View Quote
I can only speak to my experience with JP steel gas blocks.  And I don't know what they are making their adjustment screws out of.  But I have many thousands of rounds through one rifle, well over 7k.  Probably about 2k out of another.  Neither gas block has changed significantly   Occasionally I will put a few drops of kroil on the adjustment screws, let it soak, and then run them in and back out the next day.  On occasion I have done this while re-tuning with different ammo or for a cold weather match, and they have not eroded enough to where I have been forced to choke them down more to accomplish the same level of restriction.

If I get a chance soon I will pull the gas block from my highest round count upper and take a look at the restriction screw.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 10:45:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I can only speak to my experience with JP steel gas blocks.  And I don't know what they are making their adjustment screws out of.  But I have many thousands of rounds through one rifle, well over 7k.  Probably about 2k out of another.  Neither gas block has changed significantly   Occasionally I will put a few drops of kroil on the adjustment screws, let it soak, and then run them in and back out the next day.  On occasion I have done this while re-tuning with different ammo or for a cold weather match, and they have not eroded enough to where I have been forced to choke them down more to accomplish the same level of restriction.

If I get a chance soon I will pull the gas block from my highest round count upper and take a look at the restriction screw.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the case of the above mentioned build, Joel did agreed that I would need to utilize an AGB if I wanted a LW Buffer, but he expressed the fact that they are not a good answer to any kind of Duty Weapon and are simply a wear part.  He said they were going to make Their own to sell but upon testing found them to wear out by 20-50% within a couple hundred rounds.  

@Vespid_Wasp
That would be good to see.

I can tell You,  on my MoA AGB, the adjustment screw was so damaged by 6 or 700 rounds I could hardly move it.  I learned not to leave it in one place without backing it in and out every 2-300 rounds. This was not due to carbon locking either(soaking in Carbon Remover made no difference in stiffness), it was due to corrosive damage at either the adjustment screw threads or the Adjustment Screw Tap...Again, Ti is not the best material for an AGB.  Far too corrosive at high temps.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 7:22:38 PM EDT
[#25]
A MAJOR EDIT IS REQUIRED TO RECTIFY THE ERRORS IN MY POST.  PLEASE READ THE STATEMENT BELOW.

ALTHOUGH THE BELOW DESCRIBED SETUP DID FUNCTION IN MY LMT 10-5, IT IS POSSIBLE FOR THE JP SCS GUIDE ROD TO IMPACT YOUR FIRING PIN AT THE BACK END OF YOU BUFFER CYCLE (when buffer is in the rearward most position of the recoil cycle).  Although this DID NOT occur when installed in my 10-5 LMT, I have designed a spacer modification which prevents this.  I also believe One could purchase an H2 AR-15 JP SCS and simply change the spring for nearly the same results as I am experiencing.
 I am only able to gain 1/8" of buffer stroke over the AR-15 version to safely utilize the AR-10 JP SCS as I decided to install said Nylon Buffer/ Spacer as the Guide Rod did contact the anvil surface of My Firing Pin when installed "out of the box".  I figured this out by simply pulin the CH to the rear most possible position and the Guide Rod touched the Firing Pin.  I DO NOT BELIEVE THIS EVER OCCURED DURING NORMAL FIRING PROCEDURES, BUT IT CAN.  I am sure either, once the spring wears in, or an over powered round was fired through My 10-5 LMT, the Guide Rod would make contact with the Firing Pin.  As a consequence of already owning the AR-10 SCS, I designed a Buffer to prevent this from occurring which is placed in on top of the existing OEM AR-10 Nylon Buffer.  This, as stated above, only allows for a 1/8'' increase in stroke.  Worth it?  IDK?  I will be purchasing an AR-15 H2 JP SCS and installing the AR-10 Spring and will let You all know.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:16:05 AM EDT
[#26]
In to see if the H2 buffer assembly with the AR10 spring would work.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:49:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
In to see if the H2 buffer assembly with the AR10 spring would work.
View Quote
@YaBoyKGTho - I believe you meant to say "interested".  I am going to do just exactly that.  Install an AR10 Spring in the AR15 JP SCS H2.  I will post results
Not sure I fully understand Your question and or statement but, it did work in My LMT MRP in 10-5 5.56.  The issue is that the A-10 version would allow the Carrier to strike either the firing pin or lower receiver / receiver extension.  I have a buffer that I made to negate the issue but am unsure if One couldn't just buy the AR-15 SCS and change to a stiffer spring. At this point, I am only gaining 1/8" recoil length over a Carbine Length Buffer and Spring.

It does feel incredible to shoot, however, I have never shot any other AR with any JP SCS installed other than this 10-5 LMT with the JP SCS10H2.  Therefore, I can't really say its any better than an H2 AR-15 JP SCS would be when modified to a stiffer spring.  I have one on order and will keep this thread up to date as my research into the matter come to fruition.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:05:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Lol. Op's writing style and dynamic formatting make me envision Craig from Parks and Rec. Very expressive.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:25:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Lol. Op's writing style and dynamic formatting make me envision Craig from Parks and Rec. Very expressive.
View Quote
Makes me think of new toy syndrome.

Though, suff like this is fun to experiment with, as long as it's properly vetted and reported.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:19:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Though, suff like this is fun to experiment with, as long as it's properly vetted and reported.
View Quote
@HHenderson
I wouldn't exactly call this "NEW TOY SYNDROME",  I have been at this game for quite some time.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
@HHenderson
I wouldn't exactly call this "NEW TOY SYNDROME",  I have been at this game for quite some time.  
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/484978/20200222_131835-1286696.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@HHenderson
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/484978/20200222_131835-1286696.jpg
Meant the part, not the platform.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:27:44 AM EDT
[#32]
FWIW
Tubb .308 length flatwire action spring will fit into carbine receiver extension
I run one with a H3 buffer in one of my 11.5's
ETA: I only run 5.56 ammo
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 7:35:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
FWIW
Tubb .308 length flatwire action spring will fit into carbine receiver extension
I run one with a H3 buffer in one of my 11.5's
ETA: I only run 5.56 ammo
View Quote
@Tejas1836
Good to know.  Interestingly enough,My latest Build is an Colt/ Gessele Federal HRT Clone with 11.5 Colt SOCOM Barrel.  I had bought an AR10 JP SCS for it, but after running into the above mentioned issues, I decided to send it back and just get the AR-15 JP SCS in H2.  I plan to change purchase the JP Spring Pack and try them until I get the best results.

That being said, and in relation to your post, I was running an H3 Buffer with a Geissele SB42.  The gun shot pretty well, but did have a bit of muzzle rise.  I tried a combination of Buffers and Springs (H2 & H3 Buffers, Geissele SB42 and LMT Carbine Mil Spec).  To my suprise, the LMT Mil Spec Spring with the H2 Buffer produced by far the best results in regards to muzzle control and sight picture recovery.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:37:24 AM EDT
[#34]
All my Colt 11.5 HRT's shoot great with H2 and Tubb carbine spring
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 4:32:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Nice, Would You say the cyclic rate is increased or decreased by the Tubb Spring?
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 4:45:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Meant the part, not the platform.
View Quote
Got ye, so yeah, I suppose You were 100% correct.

I thought I had "the answer", and, in a since I still think I'm on to something.  I do see a future in Buffer System modification other than just adding or subtracting weight.  Being as I just bought my first JP SCS,  maybe I just missed the boat, so I see a future in it for myself.  I guess My main goal in all of this is a to slow Cyclic Rate and Felt Recoil without an AGB.  I know the 5.56 does not have any real recoil, I own Magnum Bolt Guns... But for the purpose of maintaining Sight Picture while shooting offhand quickly, I see a benefit in making my 5.56 Shorties as smooth as possible.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 3:43:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Nice, Would You say the cyclic rate is increased or decreased by the Tubb Spring?
View Quote
When I am shooting full auto the Tubb definitely slows down the cyclic rate and is quieter compared to the OEM spring
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 8:09:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

When I am shooting full auto the Tubb definitely slows down the cyclic rate and is quieter compared to the OEM spring
View Quote
GTK, are You Class3 or NFA Lowers???  I am just approaching the FFL game Myself.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 9:37:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
GTK, are You Class3 or NFA Lowers???  I am just approaching the FFL game Myself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a RDIAS that I bought in 1990

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 8:10:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
When did "flat shooting" change from describing bullet trajectory to perceived recoil?
View Quote
Sometime in the last two or three weeks. It's bizarre.

The term muzzle rise more aptly describes the concept than flat shooting and doesn't have an alternate, more widely-acceppted meaning.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:41:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I have a RDIAS that I bought in 1990

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote
Lucky Man.  I wish I was in this game in the 90's.....
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top