Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2022 12:47:59 PM EDT
What are ya'lls thoughts on ammo storage? I've been looking at the MTM - ACR 718 box. Made in the USA and seems to be able to store a good amount of boxed ammo. I have a mixed bag of 556/223, 9mm, .270, 380, 6.5 Creedmore and some 12 ga.  Is there something else I should be looking at?
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 12:53:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Any old USGI metal ammo can.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 12:56:04 PM EDT
[#2]
"Fat 50" .50 ammo cans.

I bought them at gun shows.  Online prices are insane.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 1:11:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I usually store mine in 30 cal metal cans if they're loose packed.
Some in 50 cal cans but they get pretty heavy if you're transporting often.
Ammocanman on ebay for free shipping.
Ammo can man!
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 1:11:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"Fat 50" .50 ammo cans.

I bought them at gun shows.  Online prices are insane.
View Quote

Honestly, this size is about as much as I'd like to carry if full. Ammo gets heavy FAST!
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 1:14:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Amazon has the MTM 50 caliber ammo can for $9.49 plus shipping.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 1:24:58 PM EDT
[#6]
USGI SAW boxes with a bag of dessicant inside and because Im OCD a humidity indicator card taped to the inside top.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 1:51:27 PM EDT
[#7]
.50 cal cans with painters tape labels on them so I don't have to guess what is in them. Some folks like to add a date so they use them FIFO
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 1:54:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Amazon has the MTM 50 caliber ammo can for $9.49 plus shipping.
View Quote
They are not durable.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 2:16:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 2:30:47 PM EDT
[#10]
.50cal ammo cans. Metal. Boolits be heavy mon !
Much easier to move around than anything bigger.
I have the plastic ammo can stackers. The triple kind. Nice neat stack of ammo cans.
Sharpie the info on top. Next..?
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 7:48:23 PM EDT
[#11]
M2A2 fat 50 ammo can

The M2A2 has a redesigned latch so the rubber seal around the top of the can doesn't get overly squished and deformed, leading to leaks.
Target Sports has brand new ammo cans, same manufacturer as the military uses for a decent price.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 9:18:26 PM EDT
[#12]
US GI metal ammo cans. Accept no substitutes.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 3:15:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Either loose in .30 cal metal cans, stored on shelves in factory packaging, or loaded in magazines and organized with open front storage bins.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 3:22:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I like metal ammo cans.  Preferably USGI surplus but I've gotten useable chinese copies too.  I generally print labels for the front so I know what caliber is in them.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:17:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Packed loose. Label on outside,lot number/info torn off packaging thrown inside.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 9:37:08 AM EDT
[#16]
As stated many times already, surplus USGI metal ammo cans. It is what they were designed to do!
I use USGI surplus metal ammo cans. No china copies, they are not as sturdy and usually do not seal as well.
I have 30 cal, 50 cal, fat 50's, 40mm and 20mm cans.
The 40mm and 20mm can get a little heavy. I use them for shotgun shells, but also rifle (308) and a couple with 22lr.
I have a few of the MTM "ammo crate"  I got on sale on amazon with shotguns shells in them. The size I got fits 250 rounds of 12ga in factory boxes perfectly. Mine are mainly my reloads and some factory birdshot. The handles make them a little easier to carry.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 5:46:33 AM EDT
[#17]
I use the BIG format tan MTM ammo crates for all my storage needs of gear and boxed ammo. They make a thin, medium and deep version. Stick to the medium version only. The deep is only good for 8lb jugs of powder. My thin one is used for misc eye pro/goggles and is basically too thin for anything else.

Loose ammo, loaded mags, ammo on stripper clips, etc. go with new or repainted USGI metal .50 cal ammo cans. The bigger metal ammo cans like 20mm are too heavy when full. The .30 cal ammo cans are too small IMO and screw up your ammo fort symmetry. have about 15+ metal 50s, a couple 30s and one 20mm and about 30 of the MTM big crates but I am an ammo hoarding newb.

All plastic ammo cans I ever used or seen suck IMO. I use one for small AR parts storage with divider bins inside.

I prefer new or fully repaitrd metal 50s because the surplus green used ones often stink to high hell and I can never get them to stop stinking.

Use magnetic labels on the metal cans and a stickers from a label maker on the lid lip of the MTM ammo crates.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 5:51:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What are ya'lls thoughts on ammo storage? I've been looking at the MTM - ACR 718 box. Made in the USA and seems to be able to store a good amount of boxed ammo. I have a mixed bag of 556/223, 9mm, .270, 380, 6.5 Creedmore and some 12 ga.  Is there something else I should be looking at?
View Quote

Stay away from plastic. And in case you’re a FED, I don’t have any except 30/30.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#19]
50cal USGI ammo cans if you can find some in good condition.  I also have some 40mm cans but they get heavy as hell fully loaded so I use them for long term storage.

I did pick up some of the MTM ACR4-18 "crates" recently, they are perfect for the boxes of shotgun shells I stock up on for dove hunting.  I know not as durable as metal cans, but I like the size and shape of these plus how they are more stable stacked.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 10:41:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Can someone explain why storing in plastic is a bad idea?
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 12:30:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 12:45:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 1:21:21 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't own any surplus ammo cans, all of mine are either from harbor freight or tractor supply back when they would go on sale for like $7, I like them a lot and have a lot of faith in them. I bought a bunch.

Usgi might be better, but so far these things have been super solid.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 8:21:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Ultimately, plastic is no where near as durable a USGI steel ammo can.

More specifically, not all plastic is well produced.  I have seen 5gal buckets flat out fail , splitting, the bottom failing, the handles being cheaply attached .. etc.

Plastic quality is always an unknown for me... will that MTM container last for decades, without busting out when I need it ?

My point is... plastic might be fine for a little time, but overall, a USGI steel can will last a lifetime.

I have some USGI cans that are 3 decades old, and they are still working as designed.

And plastic really isn't "airtight" , I know for a fact moisture can escape... and if it can escape , it can get in. I especially avoid Chinesium buckets / Plastic containers... those things are designed just to last long enough to transport overseas.

Most of us have used plastic for ammo storage , at one time or another, but in the long run... a USGI steel ammo can fulfilled my long term storage "needs" better then any plastic container.

Most of us say to use USGI cans, because they last a long danged time. And are the right size for bulk storage.  I have never had a decent quality USGI can fail at the handle, or the closure mechanism.

Hope that helps kinda answer your question.

View Quote

Excellent. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 11:12:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Thank you all for your insight with this.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 10:36:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Surplus cans is the correct answer.  Was stacking them in a closet in front of wife's filing cabinet. Now I've discovered those cans fit perfectly inside of an old heavy ass metal filing cabinet from the 70s. Now to find her a new cabinet...
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 5:31:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I just got a 50 caliber can for pistol ammo. That SOB is about as much as  I care to carry!

ETA paid $20 + tax,  brand new knockoff .
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 7:15:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Surplus ammo cans on heavy duty steel framed shelf units.

Husky steel shelf unit

Link Posted: 9/2/2022 10:59:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Part of the issue here is , how much do you actually have in you "stash". Metal US ammo cans have gotten expensive. Can't beat them for long term storage. Paint on these is better than any other. I use acetone to the yellow writing off the sides and top with little if any green coming off on the rag. Like others I have been geeking them for 30 Plus years at shows back when they were $5. Who knew they would be expensive one day. Like strippers for 5.56. I have a couple of the Plastic cans you mention in colors for different ammunition calibers that has been cycled thru the fire arm, and they work fine for that. Plastic can be easily deformed which can break the seal which allows moisture to get in or even water if it is flooded. I have dropped a GI can in the water and it was good. Touch up the paint on US cans if you get them and need repair. I have gotten some grade ones that looked new. Toss of the dice on line and selection is not always good at the shows. Check out cleanammocans.com, they have some decent cans if you just need a few. Other places have foreign made new cans which aren't too bad but don't know how they will hold up to abuse and longevity. Enjoy and keep it in good cans. I have some from early 50's looks New.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 11:51:47 AM EDT
[#30]
I store most of mine in a safe. I call it my ammo safe.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#31]
I store all mine in various ammo cans. Then ammo cans are secured in one (or more) of these.

Additional physical security, a bit of protection if my roof gets ripped off by a hurricane and it rains inside my house, and if loaded to capacity, will keep my foundation from getting blown away by said hurricane. Ammo cans fit in the 2048 surprisingly well.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 12:55:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

.50 cal cans a desiccant. If you can score some 30mm cans that would be even better.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 11:01:39 AM EDT
[#33]
So do ya'll store your ammo in the box in the can or container or do you just dump them out in the can and store them loose?
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 2:08:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So do ya'll store your ammo in the box in the can or container or do you just dump them out in the can and store them loose?
View Quote

I'm lazy so I usually keep ammo in its factory box or cardboard case. If I do use ammo cans, I toss them in loose and tear off a piece of the packing to show type/brand of ammo and lot number. However, I don't store match ammo loose.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 8:32:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I always keep the ammo in the factory boxes inside the ammo cans. Makes it easy to grab a box if that is all you need. Also, several cans I have more than one brand in it (but all the same caliber). So I want to keep the brands/loadings separate.
The only cans that have loose ammo in them was ammo that came as loose packed ammo (I have some xm193 and xm855 that came loose/bulk)
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 9:00:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Surplus military cans is what I use, combination of 40mm, 50 cal and 30 cal sizes. Found Sportsman’s Guide and Midway have run good deals in the past. Haven’t bought in a while though.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 10:40:44 PM EDT
[#37]
I like the 40mm cans because they stack nicely. The lids come all the way off with a buckle on each end. They also have a hoop handle on each end for carrying. I use one can for each caliber. Each can gets a label from www.weaponstickers.com to signify the contents.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 10:58:44 PM EDT
[#38]
I heard the US military stores their ammo in cardboard or plastic boxes.

Not.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 11:02:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 11:22:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Lots of 50 cal and 30 cal ammo cans.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 11:27:50 PM EDT
[#41]
On stripper clips in bandoleers, a 50 cal. ammo can will hold 840 rounds this way.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 5:29:26 AM EDT
[#42]
I like regular 50 cans for loose ammo and boxes...Make sure they are clean, have good conditioned seals, and they will be good forever...

I like fat 50's for holding 28 loaded Pmags...Which is 840 rounds...
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 1:00:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Many years ago, I would buy USGI ammo cans from surplus stores as they were relatively cheap. As the prices increased, I turned to buying them straight for uncle sugar in multiple pallet loads. This lowered the prices, but then I realized that the cans had the tops removed, the cans were stacked on pallets with the open end out & steel banded together. The lids were thrown into the middle of the boxes that was formed by the military's way of stacking & another pallet was thrown on top before the steel banding was added.

The pallets are usually stored outside in the weather allowing the lids to start rusting as they held water if upside down. These pallets would then stay outside until they were put up for auction which could be a month or a year or more. The ammo cans being milspec, could handle the abuse, but you had to inspect the pallets before bidding or risk buying rusty junk.

After cleaning, spraying the rubber lids with silicone spray, reassembling the lids on the can, the cans could be stored for future use or have ammo put straight into them. Marking the cans with a label maker is the best method for my usage as you always know what you have. Adding desiccant to the contents assures a dry storage for ammo for years. The cans then can be stacked wherever you have a solid floor to hold however many you might need.

There is no better method to store ammo than the original way the military does.
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#44]
USGI ammo cans. Get every size you can cheap. Then a smaller can for the range or class. 40MM and mortar cans get heavy when filled.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 5:08:11 PM EDT
[#45]
I bought a bunch of the MTM ACR8P72 on sale with free shipping and a code from Brownells  a while back. I’m happy with them for neatening up my storage and the are a good size for non-ammo stuff also. Heavily packed, I wouldn’t stack them more than about 4 high, since they are polymer. I keep the heaviest ones like 45 ACP on the bottom. They are not as robust as metal ammo cans, and I don’t have much faith in the seals, but I feel like they are pretty damn good for organization and stable enough when reasonably stacked that I’m not worried about one of my kids getting crushed.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 8:16:22 PM EDT
[#46]
50 cal ammo cans are the best. Anything bigger can get to heavy to move and .30 cal cans don't stack tall as well as .50's
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 4:58:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Started out using the MTM cans. Then I realized how they where garbage with a cheap latching mechanisms and a not waterproof seal even though they have a rubber gasket. I know use only the military ammo cans that produce an actual waterproof seal and they latch tightly. Will never go back to any other way especially with the investment I have in ammo.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top