[#2]
Nah, FF RAS.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:50:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nah, FF RAS.
View Quote

Great for clones, and if you need to hang a buncha stuff off your gun, but there are much lighter/comfier options out there these days.

I love the two I have, and may end up building a mini recce with a mid but yeah....far better options.

That said, are we allowed to advertise monetized blogs without repercussion?  I've got my own but keep it out of the site here since i'm not a paid advertiser.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:15:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:34:02 AM EDT
[#5]
It's hard to beat from a value standpoint.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:34:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
the links go to Brownells, so it's the circle of life
View Quote

Those links go to brownells?

Also, no, the alg loses on all three points. Also the most important point, looks.

https://www.unbrandedar.com/ForendRails-s/180.htm

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Unbranded-AR-handguard-unboxing-and-review-/12-748763/
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:42:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Also, no, the alg loses on all three points. Also the most important point, looks.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Unbranded-AR-handguard-unboxing-and-review-/12-748763/
View Quote

The unbranded stuff is great but it doesn't come in purple.    

(tongue in cheek of course, those rails are solid and krylon solves most of the world's problems)
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:46:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:53:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I've got a couple ALGs. The Shim-O-Rama mounting method is dumb. The barrel nut wrench you have to buy and can't put a torque wrench on is dumb. No one should be using barrel nuts that have to be timed with shims in this day and age. The rails aren't particularly cheap after you buy the wrench and rail sections, if you need  them. Those things aside, they are sturdy and well made. They also mate up perfectly with Silencerco's ASR mounts if you like a continuous look, and the grey is a great color.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:54:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I agree. I've built hundreds of AR's over the years, and owned dozens. I could have any rail on the market on my go-to gun, and it wears an EMR V2. I usually carry an AR just forward of the receiver, and I like it not having a big block there that houses the attachment hardware like most rails.

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:55:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yuk, bottom pincher rails.

and I honestly prefer the round profile, even on top.  When I say i WANT to touch the ALG V0-E, I mean it.  It belongs in my hand, like a perky boobie
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yuk, bottom pincher rails.

and I honestly prefer the round profile, even on top.  When I say i WANT to touch the ALG V0-E, I mean it.  It belongs in my hand, like a perky boobie

I'm glad you're happy with your long thick purple veiny looking... rails? Enjoy timing nuts?

Oh, and it's wedge lock with pinch backup by the way.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:12:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've got a couple ALGs. The Shim-O-Rama mounting method is dumb. The barrel nut wrench you have to buy and can't put a torque wrench on is dumb. No one should be using barrel nuts that have to be timed with shims in this day and age. The rails aren't particularly cheap after you buy the wrench and rail sections, if you need  them. Those things aside, they are sturdy and well made. They also mate up perfectly with Silencerco's ASR mounts if you like a continuous look, and the grey is a great color.
View Quote

The shim method negates the need for a torque wrench.  I've never had much issue with it; takes about 5 minutes max to find the right setup and do it.

I also never had to buy a wrench; they used to include them with the rails.  Then people like me ended up with half a dozen.  (i've since given most of mine away to friends so they didn't have to spend the extra fiver)
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:18:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 1:22:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Not a fan of ALG I bought several of their rails that use the proprietary rail pieces, ordered rail pieces with the rail and never recieved them.

Long story short out of stock for months. Sold the rails.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 1:38:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Started to replace the ones without picatinny on the top as the gas tube is right below the lowered top portion and burn the f*ck out of your hand if you c clamp grip them at the rear. They are fine with the top rail or blowback PCC but otherwise no-go for me.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:11:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Geissele Mk8 master race honestly...sold about 4 ALG rails because they are so small that they burn the crap out of my hand unless I cover them with rail covers...I've replaced them all with Mk8 rails and I'm never looking back.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:15:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I don’t think they are the best but their V2 is in my top 5 for simplicity, looks, never having to worry about coming off and color (their DLC or whatever color code that is).

Their timing method is super easy.  

I think bottom pinch rails are dumb, outdated and look cheap but that’s just my opinion.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:26:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don’t think they are the best but their V2 is in my top 5 for simplicity, looks, never having to worry about coming off and color (their DLC or whatever color code that is).

Their timing method is super easy.  

I think bottom pinch rails are dumb, outdated and look cheap but that’s just my opinion.
View Quote

Lol, pinch is dumb, outdated and cheap, but shim timing is not?

Luckily there's a superior in every way plus one option that's wedge lock with pinch backup available for less than half the price linked above?
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:38:02 PM EDT
[#19]
They have a nice no BS handguard for $40

I'm liking my MI Combat Rail though
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:49:49 PM EDT
[#20]
The V0-E is hard to beat for the price.

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:53:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I prefer Centurion Arms RAIL’s but the ALG stuff is good
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 6:51:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Luckily there's a superior in every way plus one option that's wedge lock with pinch backup available for less than half the price linked above?
View Quote

Like I said, an opinion much like yours.

Maybe they should use that supperior pinch method on suppressor muzzle devices.....
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 7:00:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I like ALG handguards.

Like the URX 4 better, though.  “The rail is the barrel nut” master race.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 7:07:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Maybe they should use that supperior pinch method on suppressor muzzle devices.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe if some people understood the difference between wedge and pinch...
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 7:16:01 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm embarrassed to admit it but I really like the utg pro handguards. Sold mounting and they feel great.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe if they did......

We should take this to GD so we can discuss further with more colorful commentary.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 7:32:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

This all day.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Looks small and cheap
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 7:40:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Maybe if they did......

We should take this to GD so we can discuss further with more colorful commentary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe if they did......

I'm no moderator, you do whatever you want as far as I'm concerned.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 7:41:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Looks small and cheap
View Quote

This is why they don’t disburse heat well.  Looks like the actual shooters say the rails get too hot.  Nothing wrong with bench shooting but I’m just sayin.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:08:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe if they did......

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Best-handguard-barrel-nut-attachment-method-/5-2331105/
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:31:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:47:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

The alg is basically a variation of the BAR style barrel nut, so yeah old tech.

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:53:52 PM EDT
[#34]
I like my ALG V2 well enough.  It is a quility piece, but I am personally not as big a fan of their (or most any) timed and shimmed barrel nut system.  It works, but not without its own issues lining up the top rails, as well as clearance issues with the upper receiver if the shims don't get you into the right zone.  For mine the thinnest shims were the only combination that put the barrel nut in the proper pre torque zone.  When I torqued down the barrel nut it actually bound up against the receiver before fully tightening the barrel, reaching the proper torque mark, or timing properly with the gas tube.  I actually had to file a bit off the rear face of the barrel nut for clearance in order to fit it properly.  Not blaming ALG.  They can't account for all possible variations, though I do wonder why they made the barrel nut needlessly long in that area.  The shims provide a limited number of options and just seemed to complicate what should have been a simple process.  I prefer my Diamondhead VRS-T and STNGR rails which didn't require modification to work, but to each their own.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:00:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm embarrassed to admit it but I really like the utg pro handguards. Sold mounting and they feel great.
View Quote

Don't be. The UTG Pro M-Loks are great budget rails. They come with an excellent QD mount, a long and a short rail piece, and a good finish.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:42:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Don't be. The UTG Pro M-Loks are great budget rails. They come with an excellent QD mount, a long and a short rail piece, and a good finish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im a huge fan of them. Seems like they have been trying to get away from china. A lot of their non pro line is made in Taiwan, and the quality is pretty nice for the money. Specially if you want good budget sights or a metal variation of an afg/vfg/handstop that wont break the bank.

UTG Pro stuff is well made, and believe it or not; prices on their rails have gone up.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 12:05:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Im a huge fan of them. Seems like they have been trying to get away from china. A lot of their non pro line is made in Taiwan, and the quality is pretty nice for the money. Specially if you want good budget sights or a metal variation of an afg/vfg/handstop that wont break the bank.

UTG Pro stuff is well made, and believe it or not; prices on their rails have gone up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

UTG Pro is all U.S. made. I really like the QD sockets.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 12:30:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I found that heat can be an issue on the VO-e, especially a long one under several mag rapid fire.  paracord works well

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/5205/DC88298E-9471-458A-AE73-87D49771A441-980782.jpg
View Quote

I’ve got the gen 1 SHTF wrap on my V2.

SHTF Wrap
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 4:05:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

All of this. By the time you buy an Mlok mount to put your sling where it makes sense, the wrench, and the extra time to install, I think there are better options.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 4:36:54 AM EDT
[#40]
ALG is a good option but not nearly close to best in any circumstance.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 5:13:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This all day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This all day.

YUP, Centurion Arms is top notch, BCM are good also, honestly the 75% off Wilson Combat T.R.I.M rails feel very good in the hand are super secure - only draw back is their proprietary rail
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 6:16:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Never met an extruded rail that I liked.

With so many other options out there for a reasonable price I don't get the allure of the ALG rails.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:11:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:13:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:28:18 AM EDT
[#45]
I really like the ALG rails also, but I don’t think they’re the best. Probably 1 in 5 of the ~40+ rifles I’ve installed them on the shim kits haven’t lined up quite right, which can be pretty frustrating. As others have said also, heat can be a concern.

My favorite rails are BCM KMR/KMR-A/MCMR/QRF.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:44:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Recently I installed an ALG on a Doublestar upper (thanks, Nick and Doug at DS!) that lined up with the black shim. First time that's happened after a half dozen or so uppers I've put ALG rails on.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Throw out the word "Best" and you're in for all sorts of trouble.  

I think it's a very good hand guard and fits a need in the market.  There are certainly far worse choices out there.  With some of the recent blow out prices, they were hard to say no to.

I have a 15" VO-E on a 18" rifle.  Love it.  Fits the hand well.  Rock solid.  Reasonable weight.  It can get very hot near the gas block, but that's all the way up at the end.  Paracord wrap has done a fine job handling the heat and the sling adapter in front of that reminds me I don't need to get my hand out any further.

Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:59:13 PM EDT
[#48]
I like my ALG rails but I don’t know about them being the best. Of the ALG offerings, I think the V3X is the best. I have a V0E that I haven’t really bonded with.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 2:14:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Have a 10" V3X waiting for an 11.5 build. I was wondering though, is there any leeway for top alignment of the rail with the upper 1913 rail once the barrel nut is indexed? Or is the top aligment fully dictated by barrel nut position.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 3:02:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Have a 10" V3X waiting for an 11.5 build. I was wondering though, is there any leeway for top alignment of the rail with the upper 1913 rail once the barrel nut is indexed? Or is the top aligment fully dictated by barrel nut position.
View Quote

Once the bbl nut is properly indexed and torqued so that the gas tube aligns with one of the cuts, the rails should line up. There is a few thou of play in the screw holes though, so you can very finely align the upper to the rail before you torque them down. I usually bridge a scope mount there just to make sure it's perfectly aligned before tightening the screws.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top