Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2020 10:50:07 PM EDT
I had the page saved in a tab, refreshing it once or twice a day, for over a month.  Suddenly today it changed from out of stock to in stock.

In for one.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:14:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone know what QR mount will work with this to mount on a flattop upper?
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 12:54:49 PM EDT
[#2]
How much better in quality is the brownells colt clone vs. the cheap chinese colt clones that are out there?  Will both retain zero the same.?  Similar durability, etc?
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 3:45:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

The mount and actually the scope itself looks just like the Berska scope I have.  It has built in mount.  You unscrew the base by that lever looking piece of metal on the bottom.  Then put the scope on the top with the attached screw into the AR handle hole and screw the base on to the screw with the lever-screw until the end of the lever-screw gets tight enough to keep on.  The tension on that lever keeps the scope mounted.  That lever-screw keeps zero ok, though after a dozen or so rounds, it starts to unscrew a little:  you will see it turn off the handle after a while.  You can bend the lever-screw so it stays tighter and there is a dimple with matching hole in it, but I haven't needed to bend it to get the dimple to set into the hole .  I've not tried putting locktite on it yet (haven't needed to), but that would help some.

If it's the same scope as the Berska, it seems to keep zero pretty well as long as you keep the lever-screw from wandering.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:36:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The mount and actually the scope itself looks just like the Berska scope I have.  It has built in mount.  You unscrew the base by that lever looking piece of metal on the bottom.  Then put the scope on the top with the attached screw into the AR handle hole and screw the base on to the screw with the lever-screw until the end of the lever-screw gets tight enough to keep on.  The tension on that lever keeps the scope mounted.  That lever-screw keeps zero ok, though after a dozen or so rounds, it starts to unscrew a little:  you will see it turn off the handle after a while.  You can bend the lever-screw so it stays tighter and there is a dimple with matching hole in it, but I haven't needed to bend it to get the dimple to set into the hole .  I've not tried putting locktite on it yet (haven't needed to), but that would help some.

If it's the same scope as the Berska, it seems to keep zero pretty well as long as you keep the lever-screw from wandering.
View Quote

I have used this type of scope for years in a carry handle upper and you are correct. I am trying to find a mount to adapt it into a flat top upper with no carry handle.   Right into the rail itself.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 10:07:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How much better in quality is the brownells colt clone vs. the cheap chinese colt clones that are out there?  Will both retain zero the same.?  Similar durability, etc?
View Quote

My understanding from stalking this subforum, it is significantly better than the barska or the Chinese scopes.  Brownells contracted with the original Japanese company that made the Colts, and had them restart the production.  I've heard better glass than the originals.  The search function here is pretty weak so I can't find the threads that discuss.

I had hoped some of the SMEs in here would chime in.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:56:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Shouldn't any Trijicon mount work?

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:22:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, the detachable carry handle is a QD mount that you can mount on top of a flattop.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:33:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can't answer your question how much better is it than cheap Chinese Colt clones since I've never owned a chicom one. This is a quality scope made by the original company (Japan) who made the Colts. Enough said. Mine holds zero from range outing to outing. Have never taken it off my 604 clone than remounted to check zero if that's what you meant. It's a quality scope that I'm happy with (bought mine 10/2019). Two minor complaints: The word Retro in large letters on top of scope. And the optic lines are thick and not as fine as I would of expected. No big deal on either. Somewhere in archives is extensive write up on this scope and mount.

https://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/scopes/rifle-scopes/4x21mm-duplex-bdc-turret-matte-black-sku080001373-124965-228476.aspx
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:50:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had the Berska and the actual original Colt brand. The Brownells one is better than the Colt and Berska brands. The Colt one has blurry crosshair but otherwise great. From what I understand Brownells found the original Japanese manufacturer for the Colt scopes and they used the same template except they used better glass. Not sure if they seal the scope with gas but it is very clear and the crosshair crisp. The Berska worked well as you said, but the Retro scope is a lot better in quality and craftsman in comparison.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 6:28:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Just ordered one myself for my retro
It will complete my A-Team
IMG_3948 by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 6:37:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I had the Berska and the actual original Colt brand. The Brownells one is better than the Colt and Berska brands. The Colt one has blurry crosshair but otherwise great. From what I understand Brownells found the original Japanese manufacturer for the Colt scopes and they used the same template except they used better glass. Not sure if they seal the scope with gas but it is very clear and the crosshair crisp. The Berska worked well as you said, but the Retro scope is a lot better in quality and craftsman in comparison.
View Quote

The crosshair on my original Colt scope is very clear; did you adjust the focus ring properly?
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 7:34:48 PM EDT
[#12]
In for one with $20 off coupon
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 7:10:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Mine arrived today- nine days from ordering to my door.  Not great but not too bad.

Heavy little sucker.  Seems very well made and solid.  Trying to decide if I should put it on my retro A1 or my cop turn-in A2.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:24:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I back ordered one in April, it shipped today.

Has anyone removed the giant RETRO without marring the finish?
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 5:38:40 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Good question...  I was wondering the same.  I wish that Brownell wouldn’t have used their “Retro” logo on this scope.

Small print UNDER the scope would have been a better location.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:28:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Good question...  I was wondering the same.  I wish that Brownell wouldn’t have used their “Retro” logo on this scope.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

My understanding is it was supposed to look kinda-sorta like the Colt logo, which they cannot use for obvious reasons.  

If someone had access to a custom decal printer, it would be an easy affair to print the Colt logo in white on black, then we could just apply the decal over the Retro.  I'm on the lookout at work but haven't seen any.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 7:43:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Just got mine in and mounted

IMG_4107 by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr

IMG_4106 by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr

IMG_4105 by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr

IMG_4104 by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr

IMG_4103 by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:13:55 PM EDT
[#18]
What's everyone doing for lens covers?
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:14:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

My understanding is it was supposed to look kinda-sorta like the Colt logo, which they cannot use for obvious reasons.  

If someone had access to a custom decal printer, it would be an easy affair to print the Colt logo in white on black, then we could just apply the decal over the Retro.  I'm on the lookout at work but haven't seen any.
View Quote

Genius!
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 7:41:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Mine is on the way too.

Prob cover the logo with black electrical tape, no biggie.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 2:41:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Mine is on the way too.

View Quote

To each his own but personally the logo doesn't bother me. I just want it to work.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 8:12:24 PM EDT
[#22]
You know, your right. In person it's not that bad.

Quoted:

To each his own but personally the logo doesn't bother me. I just want it to work.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/1/2020 8:24:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Mine is on the way too.

View Quote

Try hockey tape, it's not as messy.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 9:52:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just got mine in and mounted
View Quote
Can you please tell me about that sling?
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 1:39:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Got mine a week or two ago and mounted to my "bronze" XM16E1 clone.  Good documentation/directions, nice glass, superior to the originals.  By all accounts also made in Japan at LOW (Light Optical Works), the renamed successor to Hakko, who made the original Colt 3x and 4x optics.

Really does appear identical to the original, down to the fonts, just...better.  

"Retro" mark?  That's where the red labelmaker rack number is supposed to go!

Edit:  I'll try to get some pics up this afternoon.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 6:52:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Can you please tell me about that sling?
View Quote

Looks like an M1 sling? That's what I have on both my SP1 and M1A.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 11:46:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Looks like an M1 sling? That's what I have on both my SP1 and M1A.
View Quote

Yup. M1 cotton sling. I've got one on my XM177 clone, my 603 clone has the nylon seatbelt version.

I've got a Retro scope as well. Logo doesn't bother me because the rifle that wears it isn't retro, just "retro-styled".

It's a very nice scope, and IMHO worth the price.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 2:44:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Do any of you find it necessary to use a cheek riser with this scope? Which one do you use? Maybe the old Colt "Delta" cheek riser might be the closest to correct...anyone know how is that attached to the stock?

This is a great looking retro scope...but IMHO the "Retro" logo was a bad choice by Brownells---it looks tacky, and a retro-looking piece doesn't need to label itself as such. A cool dude doesn't wear a t-shirt that says "I'm a cool dude." But no big deal---a small piece of black electrical tape should solve the problem.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 5:30:01 PM EDT
[#29]
I picked one up from EE to throw on my Dissy, and I find it easy to just adjust my cheek weld to swap between irons and optic.

I really don't mind the branding on top. It's out of the way and fits the product line. Seems like a goofy point to knock the product on.

Link Posted: 8/31/2020 10:26:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What's everyone doing for lens covers?
View Quote

I put Butler Creeks on the front & rear.  I have the “bikini” on my real a Colt, but I don’t like it.  I keep it for collection reasons, along with the box.  Same on my Colt scope.

I don’t remember the numbers, but it was a measure & buy the closest fit.

As an aside, I thought ARFcom is “ALET!” When did the Queen’s English become fashionable?

Maybe only GD uses ALET?

Link Posted: 9/8/2020 11:10:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Had a Colt 3x that I bought cheap from Colt because I had bought an SP1 from them in about 83 .

It never worked out , it would shift from time to time , there were no clicks on the turrets and each division seemed to move the poi about 6 inches .

I messed with it for some months , forget about it rezeroing when you put it back on , maybe 5 to 7 inches side to side .
It just was not a good mount , plus it needed a cheek piece .
I'm just saying
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 3:16:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Is there a method for attaching the scope?

I have it snugged down with the tightening lever pointing forward, but it's not tight enough to keep it from moving.  Trying to get it tighter by rotating the lever more and I can't get it full aft, so 'tight enough' has the lever sticking out the side.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 2:22:29 PM EDT
[#33]
For those interested, I stumbled across a legit colt [with all of the original items] on ebay this morning:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Colt-carry-handle-scope-3X20/254737115891
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 8:13:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
For those interested, I stumbled across a legit colt [with all of the original items] on ebay this morning:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Colt-carry-handle-scope-3X20/254737115891
View Quote

Wow, already sold for $565 shipped
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top