Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2018 1:28:19 PM EDT
I put this on several years ago, and went to take it off and it isn’t budging. I know I used Rockset. Any ideas? Heat? I was using an adjustable wrench, so I will get right sized wrench

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:36:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I put this on several years ago, and went to take it off and it isn’t budging. I know I used Rockset. Any ideas? Heat? I was using an adjustable wrench, so I will get right sized wrench

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/324355/AB0E11CC-7D43-4A45-A64E-7B86D2FAED51_jpeg-763850.JPG
View Quote
Boiling water.  Keep it in there for a good long while.  Then simple torque.

Boiling water is key though.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:40:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Boiling water.  Keep it in there for a good long while.  Then simple torque.

Boiling water is key though.
View Quote
Any detrimental effects on the barrel doing that?
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:41:17 PM EDT
[#3]
The barrel should be supported in a vise before you attempt to remove the muzzle device.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:41:56 PM EDT
[#4]
No detrimental effects.

Boiling water is the correct procedure.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:47:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The barrel should be supported in a vise before you attempt to remove the muzzle device.
View Quote
It is
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:52:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I've heard some people say hitting the brake with a hammer prior to soaking helps too, supposedly it causes the dried rocksett to fracture and weaken.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:02:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Only weakness of rocksett is water over 160 F. Just dissolves it, no harm to the bbl.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:06:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Only weakness of rocksett is water over 160 F. Just dissolves it, no harm to the bbl.
View Quote
Will do, thanks guys.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 4:15:15 PM EDT
[#9]
The wrench flats on those particular flash hiders are small and easily damaged if the brake is tight. This type of tool will help if you continue to have issues after following the above advice.

Note: I’m a machinist and make my own tools, so I don’t know if the first, less expensive option below fits your muzzle device.

https://www.thordsencustoms.com/3-pronged-flash-hider-wrench/

https://www.advanced-armament.com/BLACKOUT-Flash-Hider-Tool_p_477.html
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I just use the AAC flash hinder tool and torque to break the Rocksett.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:55:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It is
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is
Not according to your picture.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:05:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Not according to your picture.
View Quote
It is. I have full workbench
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:48:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Are you directly clamped to the barrel? Using something like the Geissele reaction rod or BEV block can cause you to spin the barrel in the extension or sheer the pin. The 3 prong flash hider tool is a godsend, I soaked one, put the tool on the end of a hammer drill, off in 2 seconds.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 4:21:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Get the flashhider tool.  I have the AAC flashhiders on mine for can mounts, and experienced the same issue as you on my MK18 barrel.  The flats are no bueno for torque, and I needed it because of the clearance on this rail, anyhow.  I soaked it, clamped the barrel, and was still a tight mutha.

The tool is great gear.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 5:28:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Water boils (sea level) at 212 F.  Shoot 20 rounds through your AR15 pretty fast (not a mag dump, just a nice pace) and the barrel temps out near the muzzle will be around 280F.  Maybe  a bit more.

212 F won't hurt it a bit.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 9:39:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Water boils (sea level) at 212 F.  Shoot 20 rounds through your AR15 pretty fast (not a mag dump, just a nice pace) and the barrel temps out near the muzzle will be around 280F.  Maybe  a bit more.

212 F won't hurt it a bit.
View Quote
It's not the heat it's the water that dissolves rockset.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:52:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Are you directly clamped to the barrel? Using something like the Geissele reaction rod or BEV block can cause you to spin the barrel in the extension or sheer the pin. The 3 prong flash hider tool is a godsend, I soaked one, put the tool on the end of a hammer drill, off in 2 seconds.
View Quote
It is a MUR upper and I can’t find the vise block that I used when I put this one together. I ordered the Midwest reaction rod. This gives me the excuse I needed. I am sure the reaction rod in combination with boiling water will work. I don’t want to get the AAC tool. 22mm wrench will work
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:14:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It is a MUR upper and I can’t find the vise block that I used when I put this one together. I ordered the Midwest reaction rod. This gives me the excuse I needed. I am sure the reaction rod in combination with boiling water will work. I don’t want to get the AAC tool. 22mm wrench will work
View Quote
The Midwest Industries URR is a great tool, but using it to remove a potentially stuck muzzle device could pop the barrel loose from the barrel extension.

Barrel blocks are the best tool for muzzle device work.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:30:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The Midwest Industries URR is a great tool, but using it to remove a potentially stuck muzzle device could pop the barrel loose from the barrel extension.

Barrel blocks are the best tool for muzzle device work.
View Quote
If it gives me a hard time, I will let off
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:34:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've heard some people say hitting the brake with a hammer prior to soaking helps too, supposedly it causes the dried rocksett to fracture and weaken.
View Quote
I smack mine on the end with a rubber mallet and then take them off. Haven't had to soak one yet.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:36:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I just went through this with a Surefire muzzle brake.  First, I did not have a barrel block for my vise, and used a reaction rod.  I do NOT recommend this - I'm buying a good block before I do this again.  Nothing bad happened, but I could have used more force if I wasn't afraid of shearing the alignment pin or damaging the upper receiver or loosening the barrel extension.

Second, time is your friend.  Be patient.  Boiling water did not work after four attempts.  I read on another forum to simply soak it for 24 - 48 hours, and it worked.  Still stuck after 24 hours.  Popped loose after 48.

I'm using less Rocksett from now on when I install these things .
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:49:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 1:04:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Those will probably work. These are my favorite. > Link.

You will likely have to remove your handguards to make space for the barrel blocks.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 1:19:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's not the heat it's the water that dissolves rockset.
View Quote
I know, I thought the OP asked if hot water would hurt the barrel.  I just wanted him to realize shooting it gets it far hotter than boiling water ever could.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 1:25:46 PM EDT
[#25]
You'll just round off the flats with a wrench, get the three prong tool.  Just my experience
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 1:30:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 1:39:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Those look fine!  I have the NO MAR sets for barrels, and receivers
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 1:54:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Took a while to scrape of and clean off all the old Rockset. Threads are fine and all is good. Thanks for the boiling water tip
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 1:56:55 PM EDT
[#29]
And you somehow got it off, it's a miracle.

I'm still unclear on if you have the MI URR, or if you've only just ordered it? You must have it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 2:01:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

And you somehow got it off, it's a miracle.

I'm still unclear on if you have the MI URR, or if you've only just ordered it? You must have it.
View Quote
I ordered it. I made a barrel block out of scrap wood and drilled it out to 5/8. Then put friction tape in the channel
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 2:08:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I just went through this with a Surefire muzzle brake.  First, I did not have a barrel block for my vise, and used a reaction rod.  I do NOT recommend this - I'm buying a good block before I do this again.  Nothing bad happened, but I could have used more force if I wasn't afraid of shearing the alignment pin or damaging the upper receiver or loosening the barrel extension.

Second, time is your friend.  Be patient.  Boiling water did not work after four attempts.  I read on another forum to simply soak it for 24 - 48 hours, and it worked.  Still stuck after 24 hours.  Popped loose after 48.

I'm using less Rocksett from now on when I install these things .
View Quote
The only danger with a reaction rod is loosening the barrel extension from the barrel.

Think about how the RR interfaces with the barrel.  There is no torque placed on the upper or index pin.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 4:36:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 3:38:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Took a while to scrape of and clean off all the old Rockset. Threads are fine and all is good. Thanks for the boiling water tip
View Quote
Probably going to use a tad less Rocksett next time, eh?  
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:13:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Learn from my lesson? How dare you. Yeah, just one drop from here on out.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:38:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How I use it, screw md on until only a couple of threads are showing then drop 1 dropplet and finish install.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

How I use it, screw md on until only a couple of threads are showing then drop 1 dropplet and finish install.
View Quote
That’s what I did for new Sig Mount. I was able to salvage AAC Mount and that is on different rifle now. Shims were saved too
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:55:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It is
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is
The barrel and barrel only, close to the muzzle, not the upper receiver.  I see you made a wood barrel block.  Good solution.  I just wrap a piece of scrap leather around the barrel just behind the muzzle and clamp it hard in the bench vise.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:59:20 AM EDT
[#38]
I tell you something that works really good with a vise, conveyor belt pieces.

This shit is damn near indestructible and I got about 15 feet of it for nothing out of the company's trash.
Makes great bumpers for jack stands, floor jacks, or vise blocks.
Want a rubber base for some piece of equipment, liquid nail it on and it will take years to wear at all.
Used some as an air damn under the front of a SCCA '71 'vette and it lasted forever despite curbs and road crowns.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:43:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Honestly letting the muzzle soak in cold water overnight usually does the trick. I’m sure boiling water would loosen it up quicker. Use the right tools and for Gods sake, don’t use a Reaction Rod.

Get a barrel vise! The Viper Bench Rest barrel vise is $75 well spent!
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:31:20 AM EDT
[#40]
My favorite can. Crazy quiet. My Ti can likes to stick on the MD. I had to reinstall it after cleaning the threads properly.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top