User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/22/2018 4:10:28 PM EDT
So is it legal to own a A2 style upper receiver that is marked FK

Do not own it yet, but can if it is not some sort of Contraband or something like that..

Only marking I see is the FK right in front of the sight on the right side.. I read some older posts that said it was a NO, NO..Just want to be sure here.  Is it actually GI issued?

The FK is in line, not offset..

Thanks

EDIT

Was doing some reading on another reference site. This is likely a Bushmaster upper receiver with the FK markings. Thought maybe it was a FN made one for Military use..Guess not.  Thanks Again.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 5:07:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 5:12:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 8:26:33 PM EDT
[#3]
So who exactly is FNMI Kaiser Aluminum? Thanks for putting up with my ignorance.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So who exactly is FNMI Kaiser Aluminum? Thanks for putting up with my ignorance.
View Quote
Could well be (or have been) these guys - supplying FN.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 10:56:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 11:06:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Fabrique Nationale Manufacturing, Inc. other wise referred to a "FN"

Kaiser Aluminum is the forge that provided FN with the upper forgings.

What would be illegal about it?
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 11:44:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 5:42:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok, sounds good. Bought it for 40.00. Maybe not a great price for its condition, but all we can really afford. Will be here Monday. Or so the Post Office says it will be.

Here is a pic of it.
https://imgur.com/a/XtWtSd9

Also would this Delton 20 inch barrel work right with our FK upper receiver? Delton may be not be a top notch barrel. But we have to keep this project in line with a budget.
https://www.del-ton.com/Del_Ton_Inc_Barrels_p/bl1027.htm

We have FA and dust cover off a Bubba receiver. He thought he would turn a A2 Receiver into a flat top by cutting the carry handle off. And screwing a rail to the top.

I am sure we will have other questions also as we go..If anyone is willing to help out.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 6:30:00 PM EDT
[#9]
That upper is worth $40 all day long. You did good. Yes, that barrel will work just fine. Good luck on your build.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 6:52:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 6:54:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 6:54:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks we appreciate the reply. Just so you do not think I am nuts saying "we" all the time and I have multiple personalitys or something,LOL. "We" are me and my Son building this.

So on to another question. Picked these Handguards up at the local Gun Show today. They may be somewhat early ones as they appear to have aluminum heat shields. Unsure, was just told that.

Will they fit the barrel from Delton also? Hope so.
https://imgur.com/a/kAah9jD
https://imgur.com/nqzWntw

What is a BTDT clone build?  Thanks
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 7:48:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We have FA and dust cover off a Bubba receiver. He thought he would turn a A2 Receiver into a flat top by cutting the carry handle off. And screwing a rail to the top.

I am sure we will have other questions also as we go..If anyone is willing to help out.
View Quote
Don't knock Bubba.  There was a time before A4 uppers were available.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 8:17:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

[snip]

What is a BTDT clone build?  Thanks
View Quote
BTDT = "Been There, Done That" also known as, 'your rifle has seen stuff' (it's been used, abused, operated with etc.).
It's a good thing and it has its specific look that some (me included) appreciate.

PS love the fact that you're building with your son; as a father myself, I can't wait to start doing it as well (son is 10, I am waiting a little longer with guns)
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 8:52:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 10:04:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Lone Star handguards. Cool stuff. They were early aftermarket replacements for triangle handguards. They should fit any rifle.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 1:30:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I am going to put a wanted add here in the EE. But was looking at the RR or UTG A2 stock kit from Joebobs. Which if either would you prefer. Remember this is a budget rifle.

So try not be too hard on us for considering those. LOL

Hopefully we can find a used alternative here of something better at near the RR and UTG pricing.. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 2:03:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 2:25:40 PM EDT
[#19]
That upper is easily worth more than double what you paid.

Do they have more?
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 2:55:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I doubt he has anymore. Bought it from a fella over on the CMP forum. He had a guy that wanted him to exchange it to flat top for him, so he did not want the A2 one anymore. So it is ours now..

We had a offer of a Bushmaster A2 stock. Have not seen a pic or even if it is complete yet. But if complete and decent. Maybe it is worth 75.00 shipped?  Thanks
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 3:26:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 10:18:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks, if we do not get any responses other than the Armalite one, which I have not heard from him about pics yet. Or get any other responses from our EE add. We are just going to order the RR one from Joebobs tomorrow. It should be fine. Need a couple other small things from there anyway.

I like Joebobs. Good people there. And they are right next door,well a couple hundred miles south anyway.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 7:46:09 PM EDT
[#23]
We got the FK upper receiver today. Installed the dust cover, FA, from the cut receiver in it. Looks really good so far.. We will not be using the Bushmaster Carbine Barrel of course. We will be using the delta ring assembly from it though. The A2 sight base is junk. Someone cut the bayo lug off even.

Which leads me to a question. How do you remove the sight post out of the FSB? Or can it even be removed. We probably need it for the new barrel. As it may not come with it.

Ordered a rifle gas tube, RR A2 stock and A2 flashhider from Joebobs today. Will post a pic of our progress when the stock gets here in a couple days.

Is the Bushmaster 1/9 chromed lined barrel worth listing here on the EE you think? Or just junk? It has a nice bore. Probably a Ban era barrel as it has no threads for a Flash Hider. The A2 hacked receiver can get listed with the barrel also.  Maybe someone could build a beater or AR22 with the stuff?

When he saves a little money, we can buy the Delton A2 barrel assembly. We may end up using the BM barrel, Carbine Hand Guards for the time being. Hate to assemble it though and take it back apart.  We do have a Carbine length gas tube to mount the barrel if we decide to temporarily..

We will not need the current stock assembly anymore either. Nothing special. Just lower end stuff I believe.

Thanks
https://imgur.com/a/uqwduzL
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 8:36:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 8:55:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Yeah we figured out how it removes, another thing we need to order,

But I suppose we should have one either way.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 12:12:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:  Which leads me to a question. How do you remove the sight post out of the FSB? Or can it even be removed. We probably need it for the new barrel. As it may not come with it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Is the Bushmaster 1/9 chromed lined barrel worth listing here on the EE you think? Or just junk? It has a nice bore. Probably a Ban era barrel as it has no threads for a Flash Hider. The A2 hacked receiver can get listed with the barrel also.  Maybe someone could build a beater or AR22 with the stuff?

https://imgur.com/a/uqwduzL
View Quote
Front sight post just unscrews.

This is the Trash Panda thread for donating unwanted but usable parts:  https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/2146304_That-Every-Man-Be-Armed-Free-AR-parts-Please-contribute-your-parts-Trash-Panda-vid-Pg-15-.html

Lookin' good:

Who is "we"?
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:50:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 6:28:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Well we received the stock, rifle gas tube, and flashhider today. We already had the delta assembly.

Starting to atleast look like something now. We also ordered a Delton A2  Government Profile 20 inch barrel today. I am not sure yet when that will arrive from JSE. But it said it was in stock. Hope we ordered the right FSB with the barrel. We chose the non F marked option.

As I understand we need the standard height FSB to mate with the A2 FN upper receiver? NOT a F marked? Hope so..

Will post a update when the barrel gets here..Thanks

Sorry I tried for a half hour to get the photo live. Will try some more but this is all I can do now.

Link Posted: 11/28/2018 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Miracles do happen. I think I made the latest photo live. Or did someone do that for me? LOL

Hope it was me.

Anyway just got a track number for the A2 barrel. Does not show in USPS hands yet. But hopefully it will later today..And be here by the weekend.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 7:44:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:05:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:  Miracles do happen. I think I made the latest photo live. Or did someone do that for me? LOL

Hope it was me.

Anyway just got a track number for the A2 barrel. Does not show in USPS hands yet. But hopefully it will later today..And be here by the weekend.
View Quote
All you, man.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:47:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Well we are getting closer. We still have to take it to a guy tommoorw and have the barrel nut torqued, so it is just mocked up right now. I have a wrench and a Reciever block for the vise. But it is for a flat top. Do not have one for the A2 style. Cannot justify the expense of buying a A2 one for a one time use.

Guy is a friend of a friend, So he will probably do it for free.

I do have a question. We need to rivet the front sling swivel. Any tips there. We have the rivet/swivel. I have riveted stuff before, so will probably just do it the way I know. But any input still appreciated.

Thanks and here is a pic.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 8:35:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 12:47:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Your rifle looks like a great shooter. I’d like to find an FNMI A2 upper like that. I feel like I’m about 5 years late to the surplus FN M16 parts party. I bought an FNMI 20” barrel a few months ago that I thought was an A4 barrel, but it doesn’t have an F-marked FSB, so I guess it’s an A2 barrel. Which means now I need to build an A2...
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 5:19:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
@3ACR_Scout

You were sleeping.  

EE LINK
View Quote
That took care of that! Thanks! I swear, my search fu in the EE is terrible, or I just don’t look often enough. I think 5 of the 6 things I’ve purchased in the last year have been based off you and other people pointing them out to me.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 8:45:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Do not feel bad, I am always a minute late and a buck short when deals come up.

I was offered another A2 upper receiver when we were looking for ours. I think the guy is from the CMP forum. The price is not nearly as good as our 40.00 one. But is a FK and complete with FA,dust cover and rear sight. He offered it to us for 100.00 plus shipping. I do have photos I can email to you and ask if he cares if I give his info to you. Said he has three to choose from, and is going to build on two of them only.

He actually has three to choose from. One is just marked with a square symbol if that means anything. I am still considering buying it as the price is fair, and it looks pretty decent. But we really do need it. But I like fair priced stuff,LOL
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:17:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I was offered another A2 upper receiver when we were looking for ours. I think the guy is from the CMP forum. The price is not nearly as good as our 40.00 one. But is a FK and complete with FA,dust cover and rear sight. He offered it to us for 100.00 plus shipping. I do have photos I can email to you and ask if he cares if I give his info to you. Said he has three to choose from, and is going to build on two of them only.
View Quote
Thanks a lot for the offer, but I’m going to hold off for now. I just picked up an A2 upper off the EE that was quite a bit more expensive than yours, but it comes with a charging handle and has the Cerro keyhole forgemark that I was interested in, so I think it was a fair price.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:51:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:29:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
And....it's a damn nice piece.
View Quote
Definitely! The first A2 I ever saw (and qualified with) was back in the summer of ‘95. I’d only trained with A1s up to that point. That A2 looked brand new in comparison. Fast forward to 2007, and the last A2s my unit had were looking really tired. I want to build a clone that looks more like the fresh new one I remember, and this upper combined with the NOS FNMI barrel (stamped ‘03) that I got from Shark Arms will be a great starting point. Come to think of it, I’m pretty sure you facilitated me buying that barrel too...
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 7:28:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Seen that thread, We kinda wanted the FN Barrel, but it was spoken for anyway. Really could not afford it right now anyway.

Looks like you bought a nice upper receiver.

Not anything real fascinating. But the barrel is torqued down, and we put the sling on after riveting the ring on. Also indexed the flashider, and installed front sight post. We were told the sling is USGI. Any input as if it is? And does it look like we have it installed correctly?

We were able to fire 4 rounds for just a functional check. Those ran through great.

Only other update we will have is when we get the original GI Handguards from Numerich in the mail this week. And see if they are even good enough to use or not. Otherwise the ones shown will stay for now.

Link Posted: 12/5/2018 7:43:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:39:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:  Seen that thread, We kinda wanted the FN Barrel, but it was spoken for anyway. Really could not afford it right now anyway.

Looks like you bought a nice upper receiver.

Not anything real fascinating. But the barrel is torqued down, and we put the sling on after riveting the ring on. Also indexed the flashider, and installed front sight post. We were told the sling is USGI. Any input as if it is? And does it look like we have it installed correctly?

We were able to fire 4 rounds for just a functional check. Those ran through great.

Only other update we will have is when we get the original GI Handguards from Numerich in the mail this week. And see if they are even good enough to use or not. Otherwise the ones shown will stay for now.

https://i.imgur.com/WxIiiLi.jpg
View Quote
Sling looks fine.  I would shorten it up to enable use as a hasty shooting sling, but that's personal preference.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:34:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Received my FN / Cerro A2 upper this weekend. Looks great! It has a nice, more glossy finish on it than the stripped FN / Brass Aluminum A4 upper in the photo below. I’m curious - I’ve heard a lot about the early gray FN A2 uppers. Presumably this is a later dark gray one. It looks pretty much black to me. Does anyone know roughly when they started anodizing them darker like this? I’m a little obsessive about these things, so I’m  interested in determining what timeframe it would work for from a cloning standpoint. Can’t wait to assemble the barrel (which will be my first attempt at doing one).

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 5:41:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Cannot help much. But look like nice recievers.

We received the two sets of Handguards from Numerich today. These are the two best out of the four halves.

Kinda torn between these and the aftermarkets in the earlier photo. Really like the originals from Numerich because they are originals. But they almost look to rough for the condition of the rest of the rifle. What do you think?

Thanks

Link Posted: 12/10/2018 7:20:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Cannot help much. But look like nice recievers.

We received the two sets of Handguards from Numerich today. These are the two best out of the four halves.

Kinda torn between these and the aftermarkets in the earlier photo. Really like the originals from Numerich because they are originals. But they almost look to rough for the condition of the rest of the rifle. What do you think?

Thanks
https://i.imgur.com/TCC9JXW.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/GUoDHZC.jpg
View Quote
Unless the originals are splintery or too rough for comfortable shooting, use them. Originals always look right.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 7:23:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:04:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Agreed.  Stick with the USGI and wipe them down with CLP or a little mineral oil if you want.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Thanks, we are also somewhat considering this stock from Numerich also. But we are unsure if the RR tube, buttplate, spacer and such will swap to the Numerich one.

Does that Numerich one look USGI even?  They seem to claim it is.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1268740B
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top