Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/4/2020 3:51:22 PM EDT
Looking at some manufacturer's "A4" rifle and upper kits (such as PSA's), it looks the round HG's on their A4's are larger than the typical A2 USGI handguards. Is there really a spec that says A4 HG's are supposed to be larger than the older USGI A2's (similar to CAR 15/ A2 carbine HG's vs. M4 Dual Shield HG's), is it a manufacturer-specific thing, or do they just appear bigger and don't have any dimensional differences? Asking mainly out of curiosity and I kind dig the aesthetics of a flat-top with these HG's.

PSA 'A4' rifle:

My A2 build with USGI A2 rifle HG's:

Link Posted: 3/4/2020 3:58:56 PM EDT
[#1]
PSA rifle handguards are trash and nothing like USGI handguards.

AFAIK, for USGI there is only CAR (skinny), M4 (oval) ,and rifle.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 4:12:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
They might very well be trash, but I'm still questioning if they're dimensionally different from milspec HG's.

Brownell's also sells new production Colt 'A4' rifle HG's on their site, so that only adds to my curiousity.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 4:44:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
They might very well be trash, but I'm still questioning if they're dimensionally different from milspec HG's.

Brownell's also sells new production Colt 'A4' rifle HG's on their site, so that only adds to my curiousity.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Colt from Brownells is std USGI.
USGI on top, PSA bottom:

Attachment Attached File

Eta: not my pic, from an earlier discussion here.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 12:07:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Like Tig said, the Colt's are the real thing. Though you can also get them from Windham Weaponry, they are the exact same as the ones from Colt... At least they were a few years ago, I'm not sure if anything has changed since then.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 12:56:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Like Tig said, the Colt's are the real thing. Though you can also get them from Windham Weaponry, they are the exact same as the ones from Colt... At least they were a few years ago, I'm not sure if anything has changed since then.
View Quote
Dimensionally the WW are equal, USGI still has an edge for material/finish, IMO.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 4:01:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Dimensionally the WW are equal, USGI still has an edge for material/finish, IMO.
View Quote
Did you get a WW set to compare to a Colt set?

In every way that I can tell, the set that I have from WW and the set that I have from Colt are indistinguishable from each other.

Something may have changed since I got that set from WW though.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 4:39:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

In every way that I can tell, the set that I have from WW and the set that I have from Colt are indistinguishable from each other.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but not recently, ~3yrs ago. Heat shields were a bit thinner/more flexible and the finish texture was rougher than the USGI that I had at the time, at least in my perception. The Colts that Brownells sells now are near identical to the WW.

In all honesty,  all USGI polymer handguards seem to have changed in the last few years. Unsure if it's differences between contractors or the actual polymer.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 11:17:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes, but not recently, ~3yrs ago. Heat shields were a bit thinner/more flexible and the finish texture was rougher than the USGI that I had at the time, at least in my perception. The Colts that Brownells sells now are near identical to the WW.

In all honesty,  all USGI polymer handguards seem to have changed in the last few years. Unsure if it's differences between contractors or the actual polymer.
View Quote
Do you have a link to the Colts at Brownells?
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 11:24:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Do you have a link to the Colts at Brownells?
View Quote
BROWNELLS LINK
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 11:27:30 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote
Out of stock

When I looked before, I screened only in stock items
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 11:36:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Out of stock
View Quote
Not surprising.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 9:53:31 PM EDT
[#12]
If the A4 from PSA is anything like what they sell separate ... they ain't round.  Oval.  Quite possibly even out of spec since the one end had a VERY hard time getting into a Spikes delta ring set up and the front couldn't work with a triangle end cap and could barely work with a circular.  Asked PSA about it and they made a snide comment about the triangular end cap being correct for rifle length hand guards, I pointed out that I ordered the triangle at the same time because I knew that and had to use the circle to get it to actually get onto the rifle... kinda.   Still not pleased with how they are set up.  Will be replacing soonish.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 10:45:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Quoted:
If the A4 from PSA is anything like what they sell separate ... they ain't round.  Oval.  Quite possibly even out of spec since the one end had a VERY hard time getting into a Spikes delta ring set up and the front couldn't work with a triangle end cap and could barely work with a circular.  Asked PSA about it and they made a snide comment about the triangular end cap being correct for rifle length hand guards, I pointed out that I ordered the triangle at the same time because I knew that and had to use the circle to get it to actually get onto the rifle... kinda.   Still not pleased with how they are set up.  Will be replacing soonish.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 1:43:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are two different types of rifle
Rifle round used on the M16A2, M16A3 and M16A4
Triangular (Left/Right) used on the M16/M16A1

You could also throw in the XM148/M203 handguards

CD
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 6:32:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

There are two different types of rifle
Rifle round used on the M16A2, M16A3 and M16A4
Triangular (Left/Right) used on the M16/M16A1

You could also throw in the XM148/M203 handguards

CD
View Quote

Thanks CD.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 9:19:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I believe the PSA rifle length hand guards are made by Cavalry Manufacturing.  They are oval, tapered, and referred to there as C7-Rifle Handguards.
C7-R HG
There is another rifle length hand guard on their website.  It is oval, and non-tapered.  That one is referred to as C5-Fat Rifle Handguards.
C5-F R HGs
And, it is FAT, like a full length M4 hand guard. (I picked up a set cheap at a LGS)

Both will fit on a triangle end cap, but it's not easy.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 10:34:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I believe the PSA rifle length hand guards are made by Cavalry Manufacturing.  They are oval, tapered, and referred to there as C7-Rifle Handguards.
C7-R HG
There is another rifle length hand guard on their website.  It is oval, and non-tapered.  That one is referred to as C5-Fat Rifle Handguards.
C5-F R HGs
And, it is FAT, like a full length M4 hand guard. (I picked up a set cheap at a LGS)

Both will fit on a triangle end cap, but it's not easy.
View Quote

The PSA guards that I've owned definitely were not Cav Arms.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#18]
op measuring the delta ring is the only way to be sure try it
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 3:58:03 PM EDT
[#19]
The set I got from Del Ton on my 20" A2 are oval M4 type profile. The set I replaced them with from Wyndham are more round typical A2 profile. Much better IMO. I wanted a set of Colt's, but couldn't find them. Honestly don't know if Colt's are any different than the Wyndham weaponry ones.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 10:16:55 PM EDT
[#20]
@Tigwelder1971

"The PSA guards that I've owned definitely were not Cav Arms."

Are the ones you bought like the PSA hand guards in the photo you posted?  Those sure look like the Cavalry set.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 10:41:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
@Tigwelder1971

"The PSA guards that I've owned definitely were not Cav Arms."

Are the ones you bought like the PSA hand guards in the photo you posted?  Those sure look like the Cavalry set.
View Quote

In appearance yes, construction no.

The PSA guards were flimsy and did not have the feel of glass filled polymer.  It's been years since I had a set, I'm doubtful that they've improved.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 8:28:53 AM EDT
[#22]
OK, got a thread in the A2 Builds area, but I too got upset with the big fat oval PSA handguards. Feel wrong in my hands.

Saw on CDNNs site they had Bushmaster like new take-offs or NOS rifle length handguards and took a chance.

Woop!  Proper diameter, or a lot closer than PSA gets.  Feel "right".   Are they correct if you are building an A2 clone? No - heat shield is blackend, etc.but the lenght, diameter, etc. are all good.

Oh, and they are like $9/set.  Ordered Thursday around 2pm, paid the $7 flat rate shipping, FedEx was supposed to be here today but they arrived yesterday morning, less than 24 hours after ordering.

Link Posted: 4/4/2020 8:55:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
OK, got a thread in the A2 Builds area, but I too got upset with the big fat oval PSA handguards. Feel wrong in my hands.

Saw on CDNNs site they had Bushmaster like new take-offs or NOS rifle length handguards and took a chance.

Woop!  Proper diameter, or a lot closer than PSA gets.  Feel "right".   Are they correct if you are building an A2 clone? No - heat shield is blackend, etc.but the lenght, diameter, etc. are all good.

Oh, and they are like $9/set.  Ordered Thursday around 2pm, paid the $7 flat rate shipping, FedEx was supposed to be here today but they arrived yesterday morning, less than 24 hours after ordering.

View Quote

That's good to know.  I ordered one March 31, with some other parts,  and await their shipping confirmation.   I also ordered several of the 3-prong flash hiders for $19.99 each.

A2 Handguard
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:02:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Several ads recently in the EE for proper Colt rifle length handguards. ..

These sold at $17/set or 10/$50.....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 11:12:06 AM EDT
[#25]
OK, in all pics thick oval PSA on right, normal Bushmaster from CDNN for cheap on left.

Note for the folks trying to duplicate a specific variant that the Bushy liners are blackened. Still have the "do not remove" stamping.

Material on both appears similar, neither is "shiny", and both feel the same to touch (until you wrap your hand around it!)

Top view.  With nothing else to compare, you'd think the PSAs were quite normal.

Full resolution image of this one is here.

Pic from the receiver end, with a straight rod 1/4" in diameter showing difference in thickness.  A quarter inch may not seem like a lot but it is in fact quite noticeable (insert obligatory "your wife/your sister/your mother" joke here) .

Same pic from muzzle end.  Notice the rod is about the same distance away as it is on the receiver end.  

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top