Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2022 7:34:29 AM EDT
I have two NoDak lower receivers that want both the model filled in and re-engraved “AR-15A1” and the caliber filled in and re-engraved to match the AR-15A1.

I know that that Orion can do this, but was wondering if there was another option since with Orion, it’s a two step deal since they out source the refilling in process, so you’re paying for UPS service twice.

With that said, I was wondering if there is another option for this service?

Thanks for looking!
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 9:29:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Is orion still even in business?
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 6:11:45 PM EDT
[#2]
If those are 100%  finished "on the books"  receivers, you may want to check into the federal laws regarding modifying or altering the original manufacturers nomenclature before you do anything..
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 6:51:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If those are 100%  finished "on the books"  receivers, you may want to check into the federal laws regarding modifying or altering the original manufacturers nomenclature before you do anything..
View Quote

^
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 7:41:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

For title-1 firearms you can lawfully remove everything except the serial number.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

For title-1 firearms you can lawfully remove everything except the serial number.
View Quote

That is FEDERAL law, but some states are more restrictive
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 10:29:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is orion still even in business?
View Quote

I'd still like to know the answer to this, I have a few things I'd like to get done but don't like how perfect the Laser stuff looks
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 11:20:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'd still like to know the answer to this, I have a few things I'd like to get done but don't like how perfect the Laser stuff looks
View Quote

This is all I could find on them: https://www.instagram.com/orion_arms_engraving/

or Email: [email protected]
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 4:21:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You may want to dig deeper. A lone sn is nothing without the manufacturers name. If it was allowed you'd have, God knows how many duplicate sns out there but no way to ID any one of them. I'm still quite certain removing or altering the manufacturer info is a big no-no.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 11:24:51 AM EDT
[#9]
The only federal prohibition on marking alteration is for serial numbers.  There is nothing in federal law, that prohibits defacing, obliterating or otherwise removing markings with the exception of the manufacturer applied serial number.  Some states may or may not address other markings, don't know.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 8:40:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That is FEDERAL law, but some states are more restrictive
View Quote

Which states?
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 10:21:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Which states?
View Quote

Indiana for one.  You cannot legally remove or deface manufacturers markings.  The way the law is written, it looks like you would technically break the law if you replaced a Remington Rand slide on a .45 with an Ithaca slide. You will have to research your own state
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 1:22:24 AM EDT
[#12]
There is much confusion with this.
Do what you want to do.
You asked, "Do you know who can do .......?"
You didn't ask for advice if you should or shouldn't.
And I shudder when the jailhouse lawyers give their legal advice for free.
I come from a land far, far away, where the Teutonic rules. And this issues has been beaten like a rented mule. Kind of like asking permission to surface engrave a FAKE sear hole. ??????? Geez!!!
Some REALLY REALLY helpful people even sent letters to Bra-don's and Jobmama's Favorite Gun Law Club for 'clarification' with the intent of mental masterbation, and being 'first' with willies golden ticket.
The alphabet group AZSE (alpha key +1) wants to make your hobby disappear.
Much confusion waits....
Much legislation is pondered....
However, in the past, people have filled in the OG model number, and reengraved to meet the 'new' models designation.
For an example, the manufacturer's name was never removed, and by the right hand of Moses, the Serial Number was never removed or altered.
A 9mm GJ-83 was originally stamped "GJ-83" and became a LO-4 after the 'restamp'. And some times the caliber was also reworked.
This was done by weld, machine the excess, sand, polish, reengrave, refinish, enjoy.
Please don't make a mountain out of this question, close and delete this. All those 'helpful' eager bastards need to quit emailing the serpent for 'clarification' or 'permission'.
Don't let a person criticize you, if you would never seek them for advice.
A+1=B
Z+1=A
S+1=T
E+1=F
YMMV

Link Posted: 7/6/2022 5:25:18 AM EDT
[#13]
As for legality, I don’t see how anyone can prove the receiver had markings other than a serial number. I have seen many a gun where even the serial number is hard to read.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 10:15:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Ohio law prohibits removing or altering original mfg markings.

Section 2923.201 | Possessing a defaced firearm.
Ohio Revised Code /Title 29 Crimes-Procedure /Chapter 2923 Conspiracy, Attempt, and Complicity; Weapons Control; Corrupt Activity
Previous
Next

Effective:September 28, 2006Latest Legislation: House Bill 279 - 126th General AssemblyPDF:Download Authenticated PDF  
(A) No person shall do either of the following:

(1) Change, alter, remove, or obliterate the name of the manufacturer, model, manufacturer's serial number, or other mark of identification on a firearm.

(2) Possess a firearm knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that the name of the manufacturer, model, manufacturer's serial number, or other mark of identification on the firearm has been changed, altered, removed, or obliterated.

(B)(1) Whoever violates division (A)(1) of this section is guilty of defacing identification marks of a firearm. Except as otherwise provided in this division, defacing identification marks of a firearm is a misdemeanor of the first degree. If the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to a violation of division (A)(1) of this section, defacing identification marks of a firearm is a felony of the fourth degree.

(2) Whoever violates division (A)(2) of this section is guilty of possessing a defaced firearm. Except as otherwise provided in this division, possessing a defaced firearm is a misdemeanor of the first degree. If the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to a violation of division (A)(2) of this section, possessing a defaced firearm is a felony of the fourth degree.

(C) Division (A) of this section does not apply to any firearm on which no manufacturer's serial number was inscribed at the time of its manufacture.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 7:23:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the replies.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top