Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/10/2021 6:38:29 PM EDT
I have a 8" AR-9 that takes Glock mags. 8" barrel. Also have a IWI 5.56 with a 12.5" barrel. I'm a bit torn as to which should be my designated house gun. The IWI strikes me as a bit more reliable and easier handling. The AR-9 would be a great "fun gun" or the like.

Given these options, what would you choose? And why?
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 6:46:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you shot living things with a rifle and a pistol? Was there a difference?
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Do groundhogs count?
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 6:57:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Sure. Which makes them explode?
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 7:00:10 PM EDT
[#4]
The IWI strikes me as a bit more reliable and easier handling.    
View Quote

Of the 2 choices, I would take the one that is more reliable and easier handling.

That its terminal ballistics is more impressive would only seal the deal.

Of course, it is going to be very loud, so plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 7:01:58 PM EDT
[#5]
My HD SBR is 9mm
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 7:04:12 PM EDT
[#6]
The primary reason I would select the 5.56x45 rather than the 9mm would be because rifle rounds are more effective than handgun rounds.  

While it is possible to mitigate hearing damage, worrying about hearing damage wouldn't be nearly as high on my list of concerns as surviving a threat to my survival.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 7:06:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sure. Which makes them explode?
View Quote

Well, I once shot a groundhog with a .308, (150 grain JSP), and a few weeks later shot a groundhog with a .38 Super 115 grain JHP loaded hot. (1980s hot!).

Neither one actually exploded, but the handgun example looked more dramatic, with a very large exit wound.  

I understand your post, but there is more to such things than simply rifle or handgun.  Bullet selection is highly important.

For the record, both were instant kills.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 7:14:13 PM EDT
[#8]
A 9mm barrel can be shorter without giving up reliability, and 9mm suppresses well.

Those are its only advantages.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 7:16:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Of the 2 choices, I would take the one that is more reliable and easier handling.

That its terminal ballistics is more impressive would only seal the deal.

Of course, it is going to be very loud, so plan accordingly.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/10/2021 7:18:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A 9mm barrel can be shorter without giving up reliability, and 9mm suppresses well.

View Quote

It is easy/cheap to load 9mm for practice.  You can cast your own bullets, use less powder, and probably get plenty of brass for free.  (free brass for 9 is only a slight advantage, but I thought I would just throw it out there).

So, it has more than 2 advantages.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 7:19:48 PM EDT
[#11]
556 because sometimes home intruders wear armor.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 7:47:46 PM EDT
[#12]
My house guns go as follows. But I also live pretty far out so if I go through a few walls there are no neighbors!

Nightstand pistol for house
Glock 19, rmr, Surefire x300u

Shotgun for house.
Mossberg 10 inch SBS with surefire scout light.

Rifle for house
DD MK18/aimpoint sbr, with surefire rc2, and scout light.

Rifle for property.
Reming 700 in 308 with dead air sandman and nightforce.

But in all reality the gun I grab in every go to situation is a the Mk18. A short AR is the best of all worlds in my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 7:49:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I have an AR next to the door for a coyote infestation I have, that would be my choice for two legged vermin also.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 8:26:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Rough neighborhood.....
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 8:33:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Didn't see 12 gauge in the option list, but for "maximum effort" (Deadpool) on target per round, the 12 is the gun I pick up if I hear bump in the night.

Terminal Effects of 00 or #1 buckshot...  Lights OUT!

No disrespect, but 9mm even in a 8" barrel is still pretty short of 5.56 in the 10".  however, the flash & noise indoors may be a factor.

Have you tried shooting the two at night for giggles?

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 9/10/2021 8:39:51 PM EDT
[#16]
If I had to choose one it would be a suppressed 5.56 SBR/Pistol. Which I have along with suppressed 9mm's and the odd shotgun.

I would have to think long and hard about using an AR that was not suppressed for a home defense gun.

The thought of touching off an SBR inside my home without a can is sobering.

Link Posted: 9/10/2021 9:02:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have a 8" AR-9 that takes Glock mags. 8" barrel. Also have a IWI 5.56 with a 12.5" barrel. I'm a bit torn as to which should be my designated house gun. The IWI strikes me as a bit more reliable and easier handling. The AR-9 would be a great "fun gun" or the like.

Given these options, what would you choose? And why?
View Quote

Between those two, easily the 12.5" 5.56.  You can even run fragmenting rounds that won't go through ALL of your neighbors walls....(only a couple of neighbors....that snooty ones....so no biggie).
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:47:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If I had to choose one it would be a suppressed 5.56 SBR/Pistol. Which I have along with suppressed 9mm's and the odd shotgun.

I would have to think long and hard about using an AR that was not suppressed for a home defense gun.

The thought of touching off an SBR inside my home without a can is sobering.

View Quote

Eh, I’ve done that before…. I can still hear pretty well… what did you say?  It will certainly get your attention.  I guess it wasn’t a SBR actually, just a carbine.  Still pretty damn loud.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 11:32:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 11:34:05 PM EDT
[#20]
A Mini-14 was fired indoors, by me in a negligent discharge several years ago. Muzzle pointed in a safe direction resulted in a hole in my ceiling. Yes it was loud, but I still have reasonably decent hearing after 50 years of shooting, ALMOST exclusively WITH hearing protection, even though I've had tinnitus all my life.  My AR9 PISTOL is primary for inside the house. It has a Deadfoot Arms Modified Cycling System bolt assembly that makes it very easy to move around inside the house with. 33 rounds of 9mm goodness is comforting. I have a 12 ga 870 and an AR in easy reach as well. Whatever ends up beng closest will get the job.

TL;DR BOTH or all 3
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 11:44:41 PM EDT
[#21]
12 gauge with 18” barrel.  Or my 9mm handgun.  Never a AR pistol just too much.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 11:50:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Option C.

Sell the 5.56 barrel (or keep it) and get a 300 BLK.

A suppressed SBR in 300 BLK with 110gr black tips is as close to the "perfect" HD setup as you can get.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 5:58:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Didn't see 12 gauge in the option list, but for "maximum effort" (Deadpool) on target per round, the 12 is the gun I pick up if I hear bump in the night.

Terminal Effects of 00 or #1 buckshot...  Lights OUT!

No disrespect, but 9mm even in a 8" barrel is still pretty short of 5.56 in the 10".  however, the flash & noise indoors may be a factor.

Have you tried shooting the two at night for giggles?

BIGGER_HAMMER

View Quote

3 years ago on New Years Eve with near zero darkness present... I touched off 4-5 rounds of Hornady 75gr TAP thru my 10.5" that is tipped off with an
SEI Vortex Flash Suppressor... I'd say all but maybe 3% of the flash was dissipated. The Vortex does a really good job eating muzzle flash especially with SD ammo that has flash retardants in the powder. I keep a pair of Howard Leight electronic muffs on the nightstand and easy enough to put on for both enhanced hearing under 85 decibels and good protection above that threshold. Of course, YMMV...
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 1:28:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have you fired off a rifle and a pistol inside a room? Was there a difference?
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 1:31:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Faster followup shots, less felt recoil.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 1:40:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Faster followup shots, less felt recoil.
View Quote

You've shot a 5.56 before right?

Follow up shots are instantaneous.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 1:42:36 PM EDT
[#27]
The biggest difference will be noise and terminal effectiveness. No doubt that 5.56 will be more effective, but also way louder. If you have a suppressor, then yeah 5.56 all the way. If you don't then 9mm isn't a bad choice. But yeah personally give me a 5.56 rifle a 9mm pistol.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 1:54:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

A 9mm you can shoot inside a room and reasonably expect your hearing to recover.  A short barreled 5.56 not so much.  Yes, there is ear protection, but there is the chance you may not have time for that.
I mean, look how crazy some folks get about turning a RDS off when not in use.  Oh, but you won't have time to turn that knob.....

My ears have been ringing 24/7 for 4 decades.  It's not fun.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 2:13:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It is easy/cheap to load 9mm for practice.  You can cast your own bullets, use less powder, and probably get plenty of brass for free.  (free brass for 9 is only a slight advantage, but I thought I would just throw it out there).

So, it has more than 2 advantages.
View Quote

Nope!

These are subjective advantages to the reloader and one that has the ability to cast only. To people that don't reload, Rodent is still correct.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 4:32:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Have you fired off a rifle and a pistol inside a room? Was there a difference?
View Quote

Probably the only person you’ve ever met who has fired a 375 magnum at something living while indoors.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 6:57:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Probably the only person you’ve ever met who has fired a 375 magnum at something living while indoors.
View Quote

Go on...
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 11:26:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Option C.

Sell the 5.56 barrel (or keep it) and get a 300 BLK.

A suppressed SBR in 300 BLK with 110gr black tips is as close to the "perfect" HD setup as you can get.
View Quote

Even without the suppressor, this.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 12:08:28 PM EDT
[#33]
MP5K from a white keeper van (with side door open) in Full auto, ears started ringing after first round with plugs. Enclosed space makes a huge difference.
I would say, whatever you have/use is better than a call to 911.

Steve
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 12:32:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

On their heads ?
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

My ears have been ringing 24/7 for 4 decades.  It's not fun.
View Quote

I'm OK with it.
Helps drown out all those voices.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 12:44:22 PM EDT
[#36]
I'll take the IWI given your two options.  I currently use a suppressed 10" 5.56 SBR for home defense.  I'll probably move to a LWRC Six8 UCIW SBR in a few months when it gets approved.  With the Vox-K it will be shorter and have more energy on target than a 5.56 or .300 Blackout with the same barrel length (or even a little bit longer barrel).
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 2:28:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I'm OK with it.
Helps drown out all those voices.
View Quote

If it weren't for the voices, I would have nobody to talk to
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 5:25:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for the replies. Thinking of setting up both , one for a house gun, the other more general purpose (like possums digging up my flower beds).
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 1:34:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Too bad the 458 SOCOM with LeHigh Defense's new 570 grain subsonic Controlled Chaos bullet is just a tad too long to fit in an AR-15.  That thing is a freakin brick that crushes anything.

Link Posted: 9/23/2021 5:57:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks for the replies. I took delivery of the IWI Zion 12.5" a few weeks ago and I'm really liking that barrel length. Also may be switching up my house pistol to a Canick, so the matching Glock mag issue is a moot point now anyway. Work in progress, I guess.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 6:27:00 PM EDT
[#41]
I would choose 556 just because it's more reliable.  I have several 556 pistols that are all 100% reliable.

I've never had a Glock mag AR9 that was 100% reliable.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 7:18:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Good call, OP.

9mm AR9s and the like are for range fun shooting suppressed, not HD IMO.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 8:57:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Do some reading on terminal ballistics.  You'll quickly come to realize 5.56 is the best solution.  Pay attention to primary and secondary wound cavities of both rounds and you'll see high velocity rounds rapidly destabilize and the energy transfer is immense.

Yes, it's loud indoors.
Yes, you will incur some hearing damage

If you're picking up a rifle because someone is in your home, you got much bigger problems than a little hearing loss.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 12:43:09 AM EDT
[#44]
I've never had a Glock mag AR9 that was 100% reliable.
View Quote

Well, Glock mag.  Seems to be a common issue.  My 9 runs on Endo's, 100% so far.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 12:45:01 AM EDT
[#45]
If you're picking up a rifle because someone is in your home, you got much bigger problems than a little hearing loss.
View Quote

Easy to say, less so to live with.  I have not had a moment of silence in my life for over 4 decades.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 12:52:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Good call, OP.

9mm AR9s and the like are for range fun shooting suppressed, not HD IMO.
View Quote

Which explains why the MP5 and UZI have been so popular among anti-terrorist and special forces for so many decades.......
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 1:48:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Why exactly are people worried about using a rifle in the extremely slim chance you’ll ever have to shoot someone in your home?
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 2:34:34 AM EDT
[#48]
If you are using anything other than a handgun indoors, why?  Harder to operate in distances measured infeet and sometimes inches?   Why?
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 3:06:23 AM EDT
[#49]
I asked myself the same question a year ago. Keep the 8" 9mm Stribog on a defensive stand-by or switch to my 10.3" 5.56 Saint Edge AR. I chose my AR. I actually just put the 10.3" AR in the safe and placed my new 5.5" Saint Victor PDW 5.56 AR on stand-by.
Attachment Attached File

Many may consider this a poor strategy but hear me out. I've read that 55gr Sierra BlitzKings will reliably fragment down to 1800fps with 400ft-lb of energy on target. It will leave the barrel at about 2100fps with 500ft-lb of energy giving me around a 100yd max effective range.

I live in a cookie cutter neighborhood and have a house with 13 different areas to clear, some in tight spaces. Closest neighboring homes are 12' away and I have children. I want a defensive AR on stand-by while avoiding unnecessary overpenatration.

Is this a sound strategy or am I all fucked up? Check my fire.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 5:06:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
If you are using anything other than a handgun indoors, why?  Harder to operate in distances measured infeet and sometimes inches?   Why?
View Quote

LMAO

Go ask anyone who's trained in clearing structures that question first, the guys who use handguns as secondary's.

But to me, a rifle is easier to use than a pistol or a PCC. Has superior ballistics than a handgun, requiring less hits. Has accessories such as lights so if committed I'll have a superior spill and throw should I need to exit the structure, and a red dot always on that is faster to use than the irons on my handgun. And if the shots are in inches or feet meaning contact shots, it means that I was too complacent by not locking things or taken the initiative to make a break-in harder to do or conduct, or plainly my tactics suck and should have gotten then training to learn how to properly train myself first.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top