Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2020 9:30:27 PM EDT
9mm CMMG dedicated lower with converted Uzi mags. FTF last 2-3 rounds. Every mag. Every time. I am using a standard carbine buffer spring. a 5.4 oz 9mm buffer.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 10:05:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Converted uzi mags, nuff said.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 10:09:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably be better off running Metalform instead of the Uzi's.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 10:23:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
9mm CMMG dedicated lower with converted Uzi mags. FTF last 2-3 rounds. Every mag. Every time. I am using a standard carbine buffer spring. a 5.4 oz 9mm buffer.

Any thoughts?
View Quote

Thoughts:

Old surplus uzi mags? Take them apart and give them a thorough inspection and cleaning.  Weak springs may be the issue, or they may need a good cleaning and dry lube.  Since it's only the last few rounds, I'd suspect the springs.

I'd also check to make sure the mag catch isn't interfering with the followers.

Using a heavier buffer may slow the action a bit, giving the mags more time to get the rounds into position for feeding before the bolt comes back into battery.

Try Metalform or ASC mags.  If the problem persists, you may need to send your barrel to Rudy @ macon armory for his "guaranteed to feed" treatment.  Well worth it imho.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 10:47:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Any thoughts?
View Quote

Is the bolt not stripping the round off the mag, or are the rounds being stripped but not chambering?
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 10:58:35 AM EDT
[#5]
My converted UZI 25round mags do the same thing.
All my metalform work, so it clearly isn't the gun.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 3:35:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Is the bolt not stripping the round off the mag, or are the rounds being stripped but not chambering?
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:36:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Had the same issue with Metalform mags, last two rounds. No issue with Asc.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 9:44:49 PM EDT
[#8]
stripped but not chambering
View Quote

Likely the mag spring doesn't have enough tension to present the nose of the cartridge at an appropriate angle when the bolt picks it up.  Macon Armory feed cone might help.  Do you have a pic of the feed cone of your barrel?
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 2:30:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Any thoughts?
View Quote

I know it has already been mentioned, a bunch, but metalform mags are what you seek to cure the feeding issue.

But in the meantime, you can disassemble a few of those uzi mags, clean the interior, verify no burrs on the mag catch cut,
verify the follower is smooth, and spray a little dry lube in there.
You can stretch the spring out a little before you re-assemble the mag, it's already worn-out anyway, and won't last  more then a few loads.
But it will be an easy way to verify the mag is the issue.

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top