Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2021 11:35:29 PM EDT
So I found this barrel clamp mount stamped M16A2, but I have no idea what rail pattern this is on the bottom. It clamps just in front of the FSB and secures itself on the bayonet lug. It's clearly designed to be somewhat repeatable or otherwise rigid with the bayonet mount attachment. It came out of a huge pile of old night vision stuff, so my thought is for some IR laser/illuminator device, but I don't think this is the same style rail as PEQ-2s or PAQ-4s. Anyone recognize this?

ETA: I should clarify, the clamp block side of the mount with the protruding pin points forward and the end with the roll pin hole and stamping marks points back towards the operator and nests in the bayonet lug.

Link Posted: 5/18/2021 12:37:54 AM EDT
[#1]
looks like a front lug for an launcher.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 12:54:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I wondered that too, but if that's what it is, it doesn't match anything I've seen for M203 stuff and I doubt it's for the XM148.

Just my hunch, but just considering it came from a massive lot of night vision mounts that a company used for NV testing, it seems most likely that's what it's related to. That said they do launch grenades at night so what do I know.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 1:11:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wondered that too, but if that's what it is, it doesn't match anything I've seen for M203 stuff and I doubt it's for the XM148.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It isn't for the XM148, the M203, or the M234.

Just my hunch, but just considering it came from a massive lot of night vision mounts that a company used for NV testing, it seems most likely that's what it's related to. That said they do launch grenades at night so what do I know.
Yeah my best guess is some ancient commercial laser.

It's not for the AN/PAQ-4A from 1990 (since those mounted to the carrying handle). There were flashlight mounts around the same timeframe which weren't designed to be as stable as what you've got.

Link Posted: 5/18/2021 6:52:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I never saw that particular example so I’m clueless. Might try the A2 forum. One of those guys might have seen it before. I do suspect a lot of those guys frequent this place as well.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 11:35:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 12:37:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Maybe we'll have better luck here. Anyone recognize this mount type?
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 6:40:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I think that is for an Israeli AIM-1D IR laser from the 1990s. However I couldn't find a good picture of the mount.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 8:21:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think that is for an Israeli AIM-1D IR laser from the 1990s. However I couldn't find a good picture of the mount.
View Quote
I agree with @Mrf2.

Looks like there were many variants of the AIM-1 and it originated in Israel.

Litton produced a copy of it in the US, but the mount was different. I believe this is one here:

so I think you've got the Israeli mount.

Here's another image of the US copy:
Attachment Attached File

Here are some Google images of an Israeli AIM-1/MLR (since I couldn't find a pic of the barrel mount's interface either).

@Augee might know more.

@WaffenJager apparently sold a Litton AIM-1D on the 5th: https://www.ar15.com/forums/equipment-exchange/1997-Dated-Litton-Laser-Systems-AIM-1D-Laser-Aiming-Light--IR-laser-/148-2136214/
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:24:24 PM EDT
[#9]
This is why this forum is awesome. I would’ve never figured that out on my own. Thanks guys!
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top