Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2018 4:34:41 PM EDT
Hi board, hi experts,

being an absolute newbie re parttaking here and not living in the USA I would like to ask for your advice and eventually help.
I had to experience that most(if not all?) US vendors and manufacturers of 80% lower receivers for both AR-15 /AR-308 don't want to or are prohibited from exporting
these 80% lowers abroad. In my case to Germany. I'm interested in importing a few 80% lowers, both made of aluminium and polymer.

- Why is this, despite 80% lowers are legally considered "paperweights"(the same goes for the respective German weapons laws, btw)  ??
- Has ITAR ruling, etc. to do with this ?

Can anybody give advice, please and/or name any company(plus private vendors) who would be interested in selling abroad ?

Thanks a lot and with friendly regards,

Fred
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 4:49:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Partially completed receivers are considered "munitions" under ITAR if they "have reached a stage in manufacture where they are clearly identifiable" as a firearm receiver.  I'd guess that an 80% receiver is already "clearly identifiable" as a firearm receiver, but don't know for sure what the State Department's opinion is.

Articles on the U.S. Munitions List include articles in a partially completed state (such as forgings, castings, extrusions and machined bodies) which have reached a stage in manufacture where they are clearly identifiable as defense articles. If the end-item is an article on the U.S. Munitions List (including components, accessories, attachments and parts as defined in § 121.8), then the particular forging, casting, extrusion, machined body, etc., is considered a defense article subject to the controls of this subchapter, except for such items as are in normal commercial use.

How many were you looking to get?
Plenty of blueprints out there. You could check with some local machine shops and see if they can do a run for you, which allows some profit to be made on your end.

ETA: I believe there is a Chinese company (Wo-Tech) which exports 80% receivers. Maybe buy 1 or 2, for QC, before buying a bunch?
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 4:57:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is the link to the old thread on the Chinese company doing exports:

Chinese exporting lowers
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 9:46:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Just move to the States lol! Here you can just buy a mold kit online and make polymer lowers. ar15mold.com
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 9:48:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool !
Thank you very much for your first quick replies, User55645 + DaveP1 !

Your information is nice - the Chinese 80% lowers link, too.

Although I certainly would prefer my lowers being "Made in the USA". And from the company of my choice.
Not that the "modern red chinese" wouldn't be able to forge or mill decent metal or polymer parts, but the AR-15 / AR-10 are still US designs.
At least they're able to build working nuclear tipped missiles plus have a national space program...

BTW: My own current AR-15 is "Made in Germany" or more precise in Bavaria by Oberland Arms.

FYI:  www.oberlandarms.com/produkte-infos-rifles-oa15bl-de-artnr=273-OA+15+Black+Label+M5+Kal+223+Rem+Selbstladebuechsen+Rifles.html#produkte

It's the OA-15 M5 model with 16,75 inch(the law...) free float barrel in .223, 1/8 twist. Still pretty new, only 500+ rounds through it and 'BOY IS THIS GUN PRECISE' !
I'm using a 1 - 6 x 24 Falke scope. I love it.

So my export problem comes down to an ITAR question so to say, like I supposed in the first place.
Can you give any advice re obtaining an export license from ITAR ?
I think this is a possible and common procedure.
Who should I contact ?  And certainly any licence won't be for free I know.

Re online blueprints :
Great idea, too!
Actually I never looked into this so far.
Where to get or d/l those blueprints? Any links to recommend ?

BTW: I could've made as many 100% lowers from local machine shops as I want, because lowers generally are not defined as weapon parts in Germany.

Though having made them here WILL always come pricey, I'm unfortunately sure.

Regards,

Fred
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 9:51:34 PM EDT
[#5]
@WalkSouth :

I fear you wouldn't have me in the USA w/o a valid Green Card. Plus I couldn't bring millions... :P
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 9:21:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:Thank you very much for your first quick replies, User55645 + DaveP1 !
Where to get or d/l those blueprints? Any links to recommend ?
View Quote
You're welcome.
I've used this site for models. Yes, plenty of free 3D models floating around, but this site states "All 3d cad models and blueprints are tested and proven" as well as that all Mil-Spec parts fit.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 1:52:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 1:48:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks a lot for all your valuable hints and links, guys !

This goes especially for the website link from the Taiwanese manufacturer and the DIY polymer pouring possibility as well.

If you' ve got any additional knowledge of how to deal with ITAR or links/contacts to manufacturers and resellers of lowers, etc. wanting to export from the USA, please keep them coming !

BTW: Does ITAR rule personal gifts from US citizens, too ?

Regards,

Fred
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 4:04:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks a lot for all your valuable hints and links, guys !

This goes especially for the website link from the Taiwanese manufacturer and the DIY polymer pouring possibility as well.

If you' ve got any additional knowledge of how to deal with ITAR or links/contacts to manufacturers and resellers of lowers, etc. wanting to export from the USA, please keep them coming !

BTW: Does ITAR rule personal gifts from US citizens, too ?

Regards,

Fred
View Quote
ITAR applies to any ITAR controlled item leaving the US unfortunately. The application of ITAR to parts that any industrialized nation can make is absurd, especially with regards to Western nations. However, despite being absurd, it's how the laws are currently enforced.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top