Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2021 11:28:51 AM EDT
Can anyone explain to me what the end mill sizes recommended by 80% Lowers mean? I wanted to get a Milwaukee M18 router for the job even though the jig manufacturer claims it's incompatible, someone on reddit posted pictures claiming it worked no problem with the "B/2" mill. This is the same size given for the Dewalt DWP611 router. They say the Makita RT0701C needs the "C/3" size mill.

Why?

Why can't any 1/4" end mill properly made for cutting aluminum work in any router with enough power and features to turn it? They all use 1/4" collets. What am I missing?

This is the compatibility chart the manufacturer posted.

Attachment Attached File

Why can't I use a "B/2" mill with a Makita router?

Eta: Omg. I'm such a dolt. I finally noticed the fine print posted immediately above the size chart. It's because these thread directly onto the spindle. They don't go into the collet.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:39:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Whatever fits the collet. Single ended bit 1/4 or 1/2 inch cutter, center cutting.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:40:31 AM EDT
[#2]
1/4" collet hand routers are meant for trim work in carpentry/ woodworking. look into a 1/2" collet hand router, your mill options will increase greatly.

Yes, I realize that aluminum isn't all that different than wood to a hand router, but it's also about power. I used some credit card points to get a soft-start Dewalt 1/2" router with plunge function and speed control. That would probably work quite nicely for what you are thinking
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 12:01:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd trust 80% over reddit. Any reason you are set on a Milwaukee?
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 12:04:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Omg. I'm such a dolt. I finally noticed the fine print posted immediately above the size chart. It's because these thread directly onto the spindle. They don't go into the collet.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 12:09:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd trust 80% over reddit. Any reason you are set on a Milwaukee?
View Quote

I need to retool my shop and that pretty much means dedicating myself to one brand of tool for battery compatibility. Milwaukee seems to win in a lot of regards over Dewalt. Plus, I handled the Milwaukee M18 today and found it to be superior to all other manufacturers. Figured it's time to go all in with that brand starting with the router.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 1:33:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
1/4" collet hand routers are meant for trim work in carpentry/ woodworking. look into a 1/2" collet hand router, your mill options will increase greatly.

Yes, I realize that aluminum isn't all that different than wood to a hand router, but it's also about power. I used some credit card points to get a soft-start Dewalt 1/2" router with plunge function and speed control. That would probably work quite nicely for what you are thinking
View Quote

The problem is that none of the current router jigs are designed to work with a 1/2" collet router.  In particular for the 5D Pro/Modulus Extreme/80% Arms EZ Jig 3, you MUST select one of the supported routers, because it has to fit their base plate and proprietary milling bits.  Even the older model router jigs like the original generation Modulus and 80% Arms EZ Jig were designed for 1/4" router bits and the top plate area space on the jigs is pretty much intended for a compact trim router.

FWIW, 1/4" trim routers like the Makita and the Dewalts that the jig makers recommend have plenty of power to do the job.

Also none of the router makers recomment plunge routers.  Speed control is indeed a necessity though.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 1:42:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I need to retool my shop and that pretty much means dedicating myself to one brand of tool for battery compatibility. Milwaukee seems to win in a lot of regards over Dewalt. Plus, I handled the Milwaukee M18 today and found it to be superior to all other manufacturers. Figured it's time to go all in with that brand starting with the router.
View Quote

I would not recommend a battery powered router for milling 80% lowers.  As far as I know none of the jig makers recommend them.  If you are going with the 5D Pro, Modulus Extreme or 80% Arms EZ Jig Gen 3, you MUST buy one of the supported routers.  I've never seen a Milwaukee router listed on any of the jig makers' recommended lists.  In the table in the original post Milwaukee is specifically listed as "non-compatible".  Dewalt and Makita are generally the ones most people are going with.  Make sure you research routers carefully to make sure they will work with the jig you plan to buy.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 1:33:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I would not recommend a battery powered router for milling 80% lowers.  As far as I know none of the jig makers recommend them.  If you are going with the 5D Pro, Modulus Extreme or 80% Arms EZ Jig Gen 3, you MUST buy one of the supported routers.  I've never seen a Milwaukee router listed on any of the jig makers' recommended lists.  In the table in the original post Milwaukee is specifically listed as "non-compatible".  Dewalt and Makita are generally the ones most people are going with.  Make sure you research routers carefully to make sure they will work with the jig you plan to buy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool. Thanks for the info. The corded Makitas are relatively inexpensive. Maybe I'll just grab one of those. You can't find the Dewalt dwp611 anywhere anymore. It's a shame the Milwaukee isn't considered compatible. It's such a nice unit.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 2:17:40 PM EDT
[#9]
FWIW- I am heavily invested in Dewalt cordless tools and batteries, so I opted for the cordless version of the DWP611 router, the DCW600B.

Works great.  I can get two lowers done on a 6AH Flexvolt.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 2:24:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 4:31:57 PM EDT
[#11]

FWIW, none of the Home Depot, Lowes, etc., locations here in the Austin area actually have the Dewalt router in stock.  A few of them have the Makita.  One would hope that eBay sellers actually have the item in hand, but some of the other online sellers it may show in stock and not actually be.  So Caveat Emptor.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 4:44:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Cool. Thanks for the info. The corded Makitas are relatively inexpensive. Maybe I'll just grab one of those. You can't find the Dewalt dwp611 anywhere anymore. It's a shame the Milwaukee isn't considered compatible. It's such a nice unit.
View Quote

I have the Makita, it is a good tool, you won't be disappointed.  It is also usually $40 less than the Dewalt, even if you can find one.  There is no question that the Dewalt is a quality product too, but at least for me, it would be hard to justify spending 40% more even if the Dewalt might be marginally better.  This would be even more true I'd think for someone who only intended to do a few lowers.  I've done literally over a dozen with my Makita.

There is probably a reason why the Milwaukee is listed as incompatible, either the base plate or mill bit doesn't fit right for some reason would be my guess.  Possibly if the jig makers get enough requests for it, maybe they could come out with a new base or spindle adapter or whatever to make it compatible.  I wouldn't expect that to happen very soon, especially since at the moment it seems like they can't keep up with existing orders.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 11:39:03 PM EDT
[#13]

My big issue is I want to see the tool in person, actually hold it in my hand before I buy it. So I'm not terribly interested in ordering it to the house. But I checked all those links anyway. There's none in any of the Home Depots, Lowes, Fleet Farms, or the CPO around here. Northern Tool near me doesn't have it. Menards doesn't carry it. We don't have Sutherlands. Ace has one in stock in Stillwater which is a solid 50 minute drive for me one way. Jerry's doesn't have it either. My local HD has a few of the Makitas so I might do that but all the routers I handled felt inferior to the Milwaukee M18 router. I'm really tempted to get the M18 anyway just for everyday purposes but also to experiment and see if it'll actually work with the 80% Arms easy jig or not. If it doesn't I can use the Makita that's in stock and then return it if I hate it. I noticed the HF Bauer router looks nearly identical to the Makita to the point the parts are interchangeable. It gets good reviews too. Plus, it's only $60 without a discount code. It's kind of tempting.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 11:55:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My big issue is I want to see the tool in person, actually hold it in my hand before I buy it. So I'm not terribly interested in ordering it to the house. But I checked all those links anyway. There's none in any of the Home Depots, Lowes, Fleet Farms, or the CPO around here. Northern Tool near me doesn't have it. Menards doesn't carry it. We don't have Sutherlands. Ace has one in stock in Stillwater which is a solid 50 minute drive for me one way. Jerry's doesn't have it either. My local HD has a few of the Makitas so I might do that but all the routers I handled felt inferior to the Milwaukee M18 router. I'm really tempted to get the M18 anyway just for everyday purposes but also to experiment and see if it'll actually work with the 80% Arms easy jig or not. If it doesn't I can use the Makita that's in stock and then return it if I hate it. I noticed the HF Bauer router looks nearly identical to the Makita to the point the parts are interchangeable. It gets good reviews too. Plus, it's only $60 without a discount code. It's kind of tempting.
View Quote

I have a Makita and after doing more than a dozen lowers with it I can attest it is a quality unit you won't be disappointed with.  I also have the Harbor Freight Bauer trim router and while it looks and feels remarkably similar to the Makita, the one thing in my use of it so far is that I haven't been able to get the collet to tighten down enough to keep the milling bit from slipping.  Now if you are using the proprietary 80% Arms EZ Jig milling bit that threads directly to the spindle, that will not be an issue.  If you can get the Bauer for $60, I'd go for it, because for your purposes it is an excellent value.  If you want a good general purpose trim router, I would not hesitate to recommend the Makita.  At the $99 it normally sells for at Home Depot around here, it is a solid tool.

For milling lowers I do not see battery powered units as any kind of advantage.  In fact, in the long term, I think a corded unit is going to be superior in terms of cost of ownership and reliability, because batteries will fail eventually.

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 2:19:13 AM EDT
[#15]
With a corded router you can also add a foot pedal.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 4:14:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

.... For milling lowers I do not see battery powered units as any kind of advantage.  In fact, in the long term, I think a corded unit is going to be superior in terms of cost of ownership and reliability, because batteries will fail eventually.

View Quote

I agree...mostly.

Yes, the corded version of the Dewalt (611) makes most sense, for most people.  It almost certainly has more power than the cordless 600 model. Exactly how much and is it enough to make a tangible difference?  I don't know.  I haven't compared them side by side yet.  Also, with proper care/use, the 611 is likely to outlast the cordless version.   And the 611 costs less (from beginning to end), especially after you add in the cost of a couple 4, 5, or 6AH batteries on the 600 model.  You're looking at twice the price (or more) to get into the cordless model if you aren't already invested into Dewalt 20v tools.

That said, the cordless model has plenty of power to cut a 7075 forged lower.

I've done 7 of them so far, and at no point was the 600 overworked.  I didn't measure the temp of it, but it didn't even get warm to the touch.

I own ~15 iirc Dewalt 20v and Flexvolt cordless tools, as well as a number of corded tools (Dewalt, Milwaukee, Makita, Hitachi, and even a couple Ryobi tools).  They each have their place. I also use my tools in my line of work, and cordless reign supreme.  I wanted another tool that I could have practical use for outside of milling 80%'ers with.

For nearly everyone else, I say go with the corded 611 version.  Save the funds and buy more 80's with that money.

Sometime down the road I'll probably pick up a 611 anyways.  I like tools.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 12:56:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 6:58:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Amazon has the Dewault routers, single & in sets. Easy returns if you don't like it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 8:22:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Adding to the above comments, I’ve found that the cord on the DeWalt DWP611 doesn’t “get in the way” when cutting out an “80%” lower. So a cordless router is just costing more money unless you already have one.
View Quote

I agree, I've never found the cord to cause any issues either.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 8:32:46 PM EDT
[#20]
You guys have all missed the point on the chart... as I have found out.

The collet is just one issue... its also about the compatibility with the jig attachment which is really the major issue.
The collet is just a swap out with an adaptor.. but use the wrong router and it will not work....period....

I used their router...and it worked fine...not good...but fine....or rather OK...

So we opted for the BIG bosch...and got found out we needed the adapter plate... THEN found out with manufacturing differences in the model...it would not mill deep enough.....

So we returned that and went with the palm sized dewalt...

We got a new mill and it works and cuts like butter... We bought an extra mill tip from amazon and have yet to try it... but we heated the mill adapter with a torch...pulled out the old and replaced it with the new...cooled it and it works..

So the Collet is not the issue.. its everything else thats the issue.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 11:01:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You guys have all missed the point on the chart... as I have found out.

The collet is just one issue... its also about the compatibility with the jig attachment which is really the major issue.
The collet is just a swap out with an adaptor.. but use the wrong router and it will not work....period....

I used their router...and it worked fine...not good...but fine....or rather OK...

So we opted for the BIG bosch...and got found out we needed the adapter plate... THEN found out with manufacturing differences in the model...it would not mill deep enough.....

So we returned that and went with the palm sized dewalt...

We got a new mill and it works and cuts like butter... We bought an extra mill tip from amazon and have yet to try it... but we heated the mill adapter with a torch...pulled out the old and replaced it with the new...cooled it and it works..

So the Collet is not the issue.. its everything else thats the issue.
View Quote

Oooooh! Good to know!

I might just order the Dewalt 611 and the Makita and return the one I like least.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top