Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2022 5:46:53 PM EDT
I looked through all three pages here in this subforum and didn’t see anything about the 8.6 blackout. Faxon sent out an email this week with their barrels that are coming for the round.

Anyone else here interested in it? I’m thinking an aero m5 enhanced upper and lower set, 12” barrel, can, sopmod stock, maybe a red dot and magnifier would be a pretty cool rifle if the round gets a foot hold in the market.

Anyone else thinking of building one?
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 5:50:55 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a multi-page thread on this already.  My opinion is....MEH
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 6:09:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it’s a cool round but don’t know how well it will do. I say the more Blackout rounds the better. Keep going bigger.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:09:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is a multi-page thread on this already.  My opinion is....MEH
View Quote

What subsection is that in @s4s4u ?
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:33:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:37:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think it’s a cool round but don’t know how well it will do. I say the more Blackout rounds the better. Keep going bigger.
View Quote

Already exists.

.510 Whisper is a thing.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:57:24 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Already exists.

.510 Whisper is a thing.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/680059479275bc85e4e2e15a72b6658c_jpg-2349283.JPG

300 Whisper would be a thing if not for JD so I was hoping for a mass produced or at least SAAMI Blackout variant.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 10:12:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

300 Whisper would be a thing if not for JD so I was hoping for a mass produced or at least SAAMI Blackout variant.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Already exists.

.510 Whisper is a thing.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/680059479275bc85e4e2e15a72b6658c_jpg-2349283.JPG

375 SOCOM and 458 SOCOM are basically big single stack whispers, with the latter having semi-available factory ammo.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 6:47:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Interesting round for sure.  If I had a specific use case for it I could see getting a gun chambered for it.  But without a purpose, it becomes an expensive plinker very fast.  Expensive plinkers don’t last long in my collection. Probably the only reason I still have a 300 Blackout is because I reload for it, making it a relatively affordable plinker.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 7:38:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Interesting round for sure.  If I had a specific use case for it I could see getting a gun chambered for it.  But without a purpose, it becomes an expensive plinker very fast.  Expensive plinkers don’t last long in my collection. Probably the only reason I still have a 300 Blackout is because I reload for it, making it a relatively affordable plinker.
View Quote

I think that's where I will end up on it unfortunately. If I had a pest problem it would be different. I'm interested to see if we end up with some cheaper 338 bullets like we did with the 300 Blackout.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I think that's where I will end up on it unfortunately. If I had a pest problem it would be different. I'm interested to see if we end up with some cheaper 338 bullets like we did with the 300 Blackout.
View Quote

That’s the crux of it for me—.338 projectiles are more expensive than .308.  Yeah, a 300 grain sub hits harder than a 220-230, but the last time I looked the cost of that 300 grain bullet didn’t offer the bang for the buck I get with 220s.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 7:34:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, I think 8.6 isn't going to be as big a thing as 300 Blk was, partly because of the price and partly when people find out some of the marketing hype really can't break the laws of physics like they claim it does.

I won't rule it out 100%, but at this juncture, I don't ever see investing in it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 8:21:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yeah, I think 8.6 isn't going to be as big a thing as 300 Blk was, partly because of the price and partly when people find out some of the marketing hype really can't break the laws of physics like they claim it does.

I won't rule it out 100%, but at this juncture, I don't ever see investing in it.
View Quote

It was not intended to be as big as 300
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 5:52:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Lol, ok.

Either way, it's probably not going to amount to much period.  

Still waiting for a certain someone and his claims to be proven with data and tests....
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 10:27:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Cast bullets make it affordable.

308 Winchester base diameter makes it not so appealing for an autoloader, at least for me.

It'll make a really cool bolt gun.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 11:10:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I'll be grabbing a 12" Faxon barrel when I can. I have a LMT MARS-H lower and Stag upper waiting for it as well as a Rex .338 can. I'll have to figure out the rail.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 7:07:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'll be grabbing a 12" Faxon barrel when I can. I have a LMT MARS-H lower and Stag upper waiting for it as well as a Rex .338 can. I'll have to figure out the rail.
View Quote

I have decided to get that barrel as well, I want to tinker around with this round, if I don’t love it I’ll just rebarrel the build to something else.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 5:00:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I am intrested but it seems like they hyped the release. I thought the barrels, reloading dies and ammo were suppose to be out by now.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 8:03:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Im interested in it like I am with basically all AR calibers, but I think I'll just keep my 375 Raptors.  You want something hard hitting, that is fantastic suppressed?  Here we are.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 8:28:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I am intrested but it seems like they hyped the release. I thought the barrels, reloading dies and ammo were suppose to be out by now.
View Quote

They probably were but the supply chain shortage is still a big deal. Dies and brass have definitely been hit hard when companies like Dillon are quoting 12-18 months.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top