Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2018 2:53:47 PM EDT
Here is the 723 build I am working on. Originally, I wanted to put a pinned 14.5 M4 barrel on it, but I really like pencil barrels. I got this Colt 1/7 off the EE. Yes, I know I need an older castle nut. I’m thinking about sending the barrel out to be cut and pinned to 16”. I should, shouldn’t I?
NDS lower and RRA lpk. Everything else is Colt.

**** Got my 1/7 Colt barrel back from John Thomas. Mailed it last Friday, got it back today. Very impressed and well worth it. Only thing left is a correct extension nut.

Here it is with my 6520 clone for reference.

Link Posted: 9/13/2018 3:09:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I just picked up a nice slip over flash suppressor that mimics a XM177E2 from Sherluk for like $25.00, that way you might be able to avoid cutting the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 3:12:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just picked up a nice slip over flash suppressor that mimics a XM177E2 from Sherluk for like $25.00, that way you might be able to avoid cutting the barrel.
View Quote
The 723 did not have the long FH. They had an A2 FH.

Joebud, if you have the barrel cut down and re-threaded, I would recommend one of two ways. First is to have it cut down to 14.7" and have the A2 FH pinned and welded. The other being have it cut down to 14.5", use a .20"-.25" spacer and have an A2 FH pinned and welded or not use a spacer and have an extended A2 FH pinned and welded Also, these used peel washers. Either way, I highly recommend sending it out to John Thomas @ Retro Arms Works. His work is the best and he pays a lot of attention to detail.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 3:38:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Joebud, if you have the barrel cut down and re-threaded, I would recommend .....have it cut down to 14.7" and have the A2 FH pinned and welded.....sending it out to John Thomas @ Retro Arms Works. His work is the best and he pays a lot of attention to detail.
View Quote
This is the plan I had in place once I talked myself into cutting it down. Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 4:28:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Working on a 723 myself. I went the early route with the pencil 14.7 with pinned A2. Does anyone have a source for the early "castle" nut? Guess it's not really a castle nut since it just has holes. Probably a reproduction part if they are out there.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 4:40:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Working on a 723 myself. I went the early route with the pencil 14.7 with pinned A2. Does anyone have a source for the early "castle" nut? Guess it's not really a castle nut since it just has holes. Probably a reproduction part if they are out there.
View Quote
Receiver Extension Nut, XM177

Repo lock ring
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 5:17:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Specialized Armament is going to be the real deal, but expensive.
The staking slots on the InterArms look huge in that picture.

There is also AR15Sport to look at too, which doesn't appear to have any staking lots..?
CAR Ring

I got a real on off gunbroker a couple months ago for $35, you just need to be patient.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 5:27:38 PM EDT
[#7]
That looks nice.  Might have to do something similar with the pinned 14.5” barrel I have knocking around.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 6:54:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I mailed my barrel to John Thomas on Friday. He received it today, called me to verify something, cut and pinned it today. Should have it back by the end of the week. I can't wait.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 7:06:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice!

Going to send mine out to John Thomas this week also.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 12:14:06 AM EDT
[#10]
DON'T Do It!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top