Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/27/2024 10:47:32 AM EDT
Hey everybody! I need a 7.62x39 barrel. I want a .311 bore and don’t want a Bear Creek. I looked at KAK but am unsure of the accuracy of them? Anyone got any leads on one or can they recommend something to be on the lookout for?
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 10:55:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Black Rifle Arms has good barrels and bolts
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 11:12:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I’d never thought about them. Tbh, I’m not sure I’d heard of them. Do you know how they’d compare to say a Green Mountain?
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 11:29:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By RuggedProof:
Hey everybody! I need a 7.62x39 barrel. I want a .311 bore and don’t want a Bear Creek. I looked at KAK but am unsure of the accuracy of them? Anyone got any leads on one or can they recommend something to be on the lookout for?
View Quote

x39?  Steel case?  Accuracy?  What kind of accuracy are you expecting?
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#4]
KAK makes a decent barrel.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 11:54:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

x39?  Steel case?  Accuracy?  What kind of accuracy are you expecting?
View Quote

Reasonable. An inch or so? I’ve got an old GM (no longer made m10 model) that’ll do it with Golden Bear steel. So yes. Better than 2”. You got a recommendation?
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 11:56:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Bye_Felicia:
View Quote

I’ve seen a BUNCH saying this But, I believe they were used with GM blanks. I talked to KAK and they’re entirely made in house now.  I wasn’t sure if the new ones performed as well?
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 12:17:03 PM EDT
[#7]

I’ve seen a BUNCH saying this But, I believe they were used with GM blanks. I talked to KAK and they’re entirely made in house now.  I wasn’t sure if the new ones performed as well?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I've ordered a lot of barrels from them over the years, including buy small lots for production.

It's not a BA, or Faxon. But it works and has acceptable accuracy. And they are priced good.

Alternatively look for a NOS or gently used DPMS (Original company) 1-10 Chrome lined barrel. Those are rock solid. They are usually in a government profile, which is unpopular these days.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 12:18:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Reasonable. An inch or so? I’ve got an old GM (no longer made m10 model) that’ll do it with Golden Bear steel. So yes. Better than 2”. You got a recommendation?
View Quote

What goes in = what comes out.  The lack of cheap ammo has kept me from going down the x39 rabbit hole, but I would look at the Faxon Gunner 16" of I were.  I have other 30's that perform as well, or better, but I still have an itch.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 12:24:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#9]
I built this upper with a KAK 11" 7.62x39 CHF barrel.  No ragrets.
Barnaul steel case is a smidge over 1MOA in decent barrels like FN, PSA (DC Machine), and this KAK.

Link Posted: 1/27/2024 12:30:46 PM EDT
[#10]

I've ordered a lot of barrels from them over the years, including buy small lots for production.

It's not a BA, or Faxon. But it works and has acceptable accuracy. And they are priced good.

Alternatively look for a NOS or gently used DPMS (Original company) 1-10 Chrome lined barrel. Those are rock solid. They are usually in a government profile, which is unpopular these days.
View Quote

Awesome. I think I looked into a dpms but couldn’t find one and ended up with my GM. Like a fool I cut it down to 14” and never SBR’d it. It’s still accurate I just want to be able to put a stock on one again.  I’ll look at KAK and dpms. Thanks for the info and recommendations!
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 3:52:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#11]
Here's a list of barrel manufacturer's I put together a couple years back. I was looking for a 16" .311 barrel and ended up with a YHM.

What length barrel?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 3:58:23 AM EDT
[#12]
My YHM barrel shoots MOA at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 12:36:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RuggedProof] [#13]
Originally Posted By Blowout:
Here's a list of barrel manufacturer's I put together a couple years back. I was looking for a 16" .311 barrel and ended up with a YHM.

What length barrel?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/375214/7_62x39_barrels_JPG-3110159.JPG
View Quote

16” carbine and maybe an 18” mid length. Thank you for the list! I’d seen it in a previous thread and will go check out the yhm you and the other guy suggested!

Edit: I don’t think they’re in production anymore. 😒
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 12:58:48 PM EDT
[#14]
KAK barrel ive tried in 7.62x39 have done better then MOA with sst 125 handloads or factory sst hornady, does about 1.25-1.5 moa on average with cheap steel case.   hits at 300 are pretty easy with an optic
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 1:01:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rkangel777] [#15]
I've used a Diamondback and an CHF Alpha Shooting Sports 7.62x39 barrel.  Surprisingly, the Diamondback just runs for a barrel I got on sale for $50.  I don't shoot x39 for groups but the barrel is accurate enough to hit what I aim at.  With all the crappy steel ammo I shoot through it, for $50 I think I got my money's worth, plus I don't obsess about damaging an expensive barrel.  

The Alpha Shooting Sports as a more premium barrel and took a little more tuning and break in with buffer weights and springs.  Shoots good now, but still has an occasional bobble or failure to lock back which I attribute to inconsistent Russian ammo. I like Alpha, but in hind sight I don't know that I would spend the money on a nice CHF barrel for shooting crappy ammo.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 1:35:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got a few KAK barrels, went with them for the true .311 bore, other companies just repurpose 308 barrels which is a lazy shortcut to save/ make money. KAK makes their own blanks now and manufactures 100% in house which is also appealing. Their price point is lower than brands that are more expensive yet the KAK barrels outshoot them easily. Likely because they are a large oem and aren't totally dependent on web sale revenue.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 5:59:47 AM EDT
[#17]
I put this 7.62X39 together a few years ago, with a PSA lower, it functions great, no problems

Link Posted: 1/29/2024 6:11:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By FlameDog:
I put this 7.62X39 together a few years ago, with a PSA lower, it functions great, no problems

https://i.imgur.com/QOy1Sj2.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/uYjoieY.jpg
View Quote

Thats awesome!  Is that a black barrel?
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:32:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlameDog] [#19]

Thats awesome!  Is that a black barrel?
View Quote

Yes the barrel is black, this a picture of the gun before I changed out the hand guard to a longer one and added the muzzle break

Link Posted: 2/2/2024 11:27:47 PM EDT
[#20]

16” carbine and maybe an 18” mid length. Thank you for the list! I’d seen it in a previous thread and will go check out the yhm you and the other guy suggested!

Edit: I don’t think they’re in production anymore. 😒
View Quote

I don't see X39 barrels listed on their site anymore. I bought my YHM barrel new, but from someone that never assembled an upper with it.

I'd probably go with a KAK for a barrel now if I wanted a 0.311 tube. I like the barrel profile better than Green Mountain that looks like an M4.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 6:30:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Blowout:

I don't see X39 barrels listed on their site anymore. I bought my YHM barrel new, but from someone that never assembled an upper with it.

I'd probably go with a KAK for a barrel now if I wanted a 0.311 tube. I like the barrel profile better than Green Mountain that looks like an M4.
View Quote

I ended up buying an M10 from Green Mountain. Same BA M4 profile but my other one i had cut was awesome. When this one became available, I bought it.  I’m not a fan of the profile either.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 5:12:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By giantpune:
Barnaul steel case is a smidge over 1MOA in decent barrels like FN, PSA (DC Machine), and this KAK.

https://iili.io/JcYydSj.png
View Quote

Is that birds eye maple , looks great.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 1:58:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By bobweaver:
My YHM barrel shoots MOA at 100 yards.
View Quote

Is that with handloads or steel case?   Either way count me impressed.  I’m pretty happy with my Bear Creek barrel, but I’d happily replace it with a YHM if I can get close to your accuracy.  

I’m invested in YHM cans so already like the company.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 4:28:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 35spline] [#24]

View Quote

Can you post the details for the BCG, upper and lower receivers?
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 5:00:24 PM EDT
[#25]
I can vouch for Black Rifle Arms x39 barrels and bolts, I’ve used them in a couple of builds and am very happy with the results.

They and KAK were my two main choices, but BRA offers their 16” barrel with a mid-length gas system, which is my first choice.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 7:19:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Windham Weaponry has listed 7.62 x 39 M4 profile barrel kit with front sight post, bolt and firing pin, button rifling 1 x 9.5 twist for $295.00. I used a number of these and have no complaints.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:25:39 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

What upper/lower combo is that?  I been wanting to swap my KS47 10" barrel with something a little lighter if possible shes a pig for a 10"er

.311 barrel

Pardon my ignorance but what is the deal with this?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:28:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By NOLAGT:

What upper/lower combo is that?  I been wanting to swap my KS47 10" barrel with something a little lighter if possible shes a pig for a 10"er

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NOLAGT:

.311 barrel

7.62x39 is a .311 diameter bullet.
A lot of 7.62x39 barrels sold in the past were barrel blanks designed for American ammo and designed around the US common .308 bullet found in 7.62x51 and .308 Winchester
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:20:11 AM EDT
[#29]

7.62x39 is a .311 diameter bullet.
A lot of 7.62x39 barrels sold in the past were barrel blanks designed for American ammo and designed around the US common .308 bullet found in 7.62x51 and .308 Winchester
View Quote

Ahh ok I didn't realize that.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:01:46 AM EDT
[#30]
BRA lists their barrels with a .310 bore.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:37:54 PM EDT
[#31]
So what exactly does this mean? kaboom? Accuracy issues? reliability issues? Non issue?
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 1:20:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Non-issue, these barrels shoot fairly accurately and trouble free from my experience.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 2:08:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By MFRecon2:
So what exactly does this mean? kaboom? Accuracy issues? reliability issues? Non issue?
View Quote

Accuracy won't be optimal.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 2:24:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By kdn:
Windham Weaponry has listed 7.62 x 39 M4 profile barrel kit with front sight post, bolt and firing pin, button rifling 1 x 9.5 twist for $295.00. I used a number of these and have no complaints.
View Quote

It's unclear if they are back in business or not.

My upper is a PSA, haven't broken the bolt yet.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top