AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 8:10:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

First off, that gel is NOT the same as 10% ordnance gel.  I know it is advertised as such but does not create the same wound channel as true mixed powder 10% ordnance gel.  It offers less resistance to the bullet resulting in less expansion, less bullet damage, and deeper penetration.  A considerable amount of effort was put into the realistic recreation of living tissue for terminal performance by the DoD and various LE agencies, and there is a reason the FBI uses 10% ordnance gel for their testing and does not recommend the Clear Ballistics stuff.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/09/09/clear-ballistics-gelatin-not-performing-like-real-ballistics-gelatin/
https://www.police1.com/police-products/firearms/accessories/ammunition/articles/ballistic-gelatin-comparisons-part-iii-IbjkEYB93TAd5o6J/

Second, that is a single bullet.  Now try the same systems with the many available expanding cup&core bullets, as well as the other monolithics, and see how it goes. Spoiler alert because I've done the testing with the proper materials first-hand: Using a 1:5" twist significantly limits bullet selection if you care about terminal performance.  This is ESPECIALLY true through barriers such as those used in the FBI protocol.

If you don't care if a bullet that was designed for controlled consistent expansion behaves like a varmint bullet, then carry on.
View Quote

In the second link the clear block in the first pic clearly shows a BB calibration of around 3.74" which in the article the guy says exceeds FBI standards. But then goes on to says 2.95" to 3.74" is FBI specs. Not sure I understand that.

I'm interested to see proof of your claim as far as 1:5 twist 300BO barrels go. You've done the testing, as you say, so show us the results.

All you've submitted is an 8 year old article about clear ballistics and another showing the difference between synthetic and organic gelatin which is very contradictory.

I want to learn. Teach me. Hell, you may actually change my mind.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 8:54:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Or look at it another way:

A super short barreled with 1/5 is a specialized role/application.

Therefore, it is appropriate to use specialized bullets to maximize the terminal effect of this specialized weapon. Monolithic expanding/fracturing monos are just that.

1/5 wasn’t chosen randomly.

Look at the 8.6blk with the 1/3 twist; expanding monos open faster and create larger permanent cavities with faster twist rates.

There is a lot of information out there on this.

But you’re correct in that conventional cup and core bullets are not optimal in this niche; and that’s okay.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 10:42:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Specialized application and specialized bullets is a perfectly fine approach provided you're aware of the limitations as such.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Just to update my progress:

Again my barrel is the Faxon 6” 1/5.

This barrel is terrible. I have now put 14 different loads through it and it is dinner plate accurate at 40 yards. I don’t see evidence of keyhole, just garbage groups… or rather patterns…

I square every receiver before install, have assembled way over 100 uppers, 20 years experience hand-loading including wildcatting, etc etc, tried two muzzle devices, 3 different cans, and this barrel will simply NOT group. I contacted Faxon. I’m pissed.  

Could simply be a sample of one, but wow. By far the worst barrel I have experienced.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

DO NOT SHOOT CAVITY BACK 195gr MKZ through a 1/5.  Obviously the centrifugal force is causing the petals to open up in flight… good thing I tested this load with the baffles and end cap out of the can (used a Form 1 can).

190gd Sub X shoot real nice, as did a 220gr ELD-X load.

110gr Tac X shot terrible (proven load in my other blks) and some 150gr FMJ loads shot very well too.

ETA: this is a KAK 6.25” “baby blonde” 1/5 barrel. I replaced the Faxon
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 12:29:44 PM EDT
[#6]
That's cool.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 1:12:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That's cool.
View Quote

Not really. Would rather have them work normally.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 1:41:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 9:10:42 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

Sweet
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 10:55:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/52686/101E3D05-2636-414B-B9BD-3C27005502FE_jpe-2464395.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/52686/E16E90B7-B1FE-456D-8EAF-97653F1D0067_jpe-2464396.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/52686/AE0AFF0A-E10C-4F17-AFAC-8BF41884794C_jpe-2464399.JPG

DO NOT SHOOT CAVITY BACK 195gr MKZ through a 1/5.  Obviously the centrifugal force is causing the petals to open up in flight… good thing I tested this load with the baffles and end cap out of the can (used a Form 1 can).

190gd Sub X shoot real nice, as did a 220gr ELD-X load.

110gr Tac X shot terrible (proven load in my other blks) and some 150gr FMJ loads shot very well too.

ETA: this is a KAK 6.25” “baby blonde” 1/5 barrel. I replaced the Faxon
View Quote

As we spoke about on the phone we are adjusting the subs to run in a 1:5 twist.
There should be a batch out soon.
Thank you for the input.

Robert
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 1:59:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Yup. Look forward to it
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top