Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/4/2018 8:50:56 PM EDT
Is the 7075 worth the price?
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 9:31:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.

and never buy a milspec diameter 6061, worst of both worlds.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 9:39:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Material is rarely where one wants to save a few bucks.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 9:51:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:24:04 PM EDT
[#5]
At prices these days, no reason to not get the 7075 tube, in real day use, most will never notice a difference, but if you have to mortar one, you could break the 6061 easier than the 7075 tube as Tig showed in a picture a while back.

I have different guns, some with 7075 and some with 6061 and haven't really noticed a difference.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:52:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I just want a 4-position one....
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:15:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just want a 4-position one....
View Quote
I have a 4 position 7075 tube around here, if you need it let me know and we can work something out.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:20:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:53:55 AM EDT
[#9]
All day, every day.  This is not the place you want to save a few dollars, and not because of "strength"

Having made this mistake, due to not paying attention, I have found that the 7075 tubes are finished better, and have a much smoother interior when purchased from the right company.  I have seen about 15ish 6061 REs now, and every single one of them has an interior finish ranging from a single groove running down it as if it were threaded, to something that looked like it was whittled out with a hacksaw blade.

While these function, it translates to a gnarly action spring noise when charging/shooting, and puts fine aluminum shavings in the RE.

But hey, I saved 6 bucks!  Right?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:40:55 AM EDT
[#10]
If you have ever threaded a hole into 7075 and 6061 you know that 7075 is much harder. In terms of strength, I have no doubt 7075 is better.
As far as the buffer tube, I don't think the difference in strength is relevant. A 'tube' is strong because there are no weak points in the shape to start with. The receiver tang is likely going to crack before the tube due to its shape and it being a natural stress point.
7075 is stronger but it doesn't matter in this situation, IMO.
That being said, I prefer overkill, so get 7075 anyway.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:49:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I just made the mistake of getting the cheaper aluminum and it was the first time I smeared the metal with my wrench. This was my first give away.  Also it just feels different and cheap.  I'm going to replace it as I don't feel confident with it.  In fact I just ordered the Anderson variety from the link above.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:16:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:54:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just made the mistake of getting the cheaper aluminum and it was the first time I smeared the metal with my wrench. This was my first give away.  Also it just feels different and cheap.  I'm going to replace it as I don't feel confident with it.  In fact I just ordered the Anderson variety from the link above.
View Quote
What does it mean to "smear" metal, did your wrench slip?  Do you have a picture so I can see the damage that happened?
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 6:51:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 7:32:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Some of the processes that can cause material to smear include machining, honing, lapping, sanding, scraping, grit blasting, tumble de burring, and preening operations.

Think galling, or material transfer.
View Quote
I have galled metal, gouged metal, I have never heard it referred to as smearing metal.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 7:40:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:06:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Common industry terminology.

Link
Another
View Quote
Thanks Tig,

Just never heard of it referred to that way in the shops I have been in.  I do know that things get referred to in different ways based on regional differences.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you have ever threaded a hole into 7075 and 6061 you know that 7075 is much harder. In terms of strength, I have no doubt 7075 is better.
As far as the buffer tube, I don't think the difference in strength is relevant. A 'tube' is strong because there are no weak points in the shape to start with. The receiver tang is likely going to crack before the tube due to its shape and it being a natural stress point.
7075 is stronger but it doesn't matter in this situation, IMO.
That being said, I prefer overkill, so get 7075 anyway.
View Quote
Someone recently blew the back out of their pistol build, suppressed.

Bumper pad on the buffer impacted the rear wall so hard, the tube failed.

I've seen it happen on at least one large-framed M110 as well.

7075 T6 with a lot of call-outs never mentioned govern how RETs are made.

I think they're hot drop-forged/extruded as well, could be wrong.

They're also coated with a bake-on dry film like the inside of the upper and aluminum 30rd mags.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:57:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What does it mean to "smear" metal, did your wrench slip?  Do you have a picture so I can see the damage that happened?
View Quote
What I meant it my wrench slipped a little like it always does.  Instead of nothing happening the threads on the tube seemed to "smear" like it was made of wax.  Of course its not like wax but just saying this to give imagery.  I immediately knew the tube was not like my others and the metal was softer.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:44:56 PM EDT
[#20]
If you have a build that demands tougher than 7075, V7 has their 2055 aluminum units with 11 position stocks. Not cheap though.
2055 Aluminum Receiver Extension

Even tougher is a 416 stainless extension from them. You’ll snap the tang off your lower before this would fail.
416 Stainless receiver extension
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 12:29:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you have a build that demands tougher than 7075, V7 has their 2055 aluminum units with 11 position stocks. Not cheap though.
2055 Aluminum Receiver Extension

Even tougher is a 416 stainless extension from them. You’ll snap the tang off your lower before this would fail.
416 Stainless receiver extension
View Quote
Why would anyone want an 11 position tube? I get annoyed with 6 positions trying to find the correct spot in a hurry and is why I prefer a 4 position tube.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 12:51:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Why would anyone want an 11 position tube? I get annoyed with 6 positions trying to find the correct spot in a hurry and is why I prefer a 4 position tube.
View Quote
I've never had a problem picking a position?
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 1:06:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Does anyone know where I can find a 7075 tube in FDE? I made the mistake of buying a project seed on sale, an Aero lower in FDE which quickly sprouted into an Aero FDE project. ALG and BCM used to sell them and a few places list them but are out of stock seemingly permanently.
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 6:02:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Does anyone know where I can find a 7075 tube in FDE? I made the mistake of buying a project seed on sale, an Aero lower in FDE which quickly sprouted into an Aero FDE project. ALG and BCM used to sell them and a few places list them but are out of stock seemingly permanently.
View Quote
https://www.groundzeroprecision.com/products/ar-15-carbine-buffer-tube-fde-cerakote

Just noticed they're  out of stock
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 8:27:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 2:57:28 PM EDT
[#26]
I used a normal off the shelf Carbon Fiber tube.

The tube itself is just a guide. It recieves no force or pressure at all. I am confident that a plastic tube would be more than enough.

The only area that matters is where it threads or bonds to the lower. If your rifle is overgassed, the BCG could crash the buffer at a decent force. Possible making a dart out of the tube by ripping it out. However unlikely if you are also shouldering the rifle applying forward force with your body.

Anyways... 6061 vs. 7075, choose whichever manufacturer has the better reputation. This will decide the surface finish. Not the material. Really, 6061 is much easier to get a nice finish on as 7075 tends to gum on.
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 3:17:13 PM EDT
[#27]
As another user showed on here a while back, one area it could make a difference is if you have to mortar the gun for any reason, tubes do break, I have never seen it happen in person, but there are pictures around of it happening.

If Tigwelder sees this perhaps he will post that picture again.
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 10:19:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The tube itself is just a guide. It recieves no force or pressure at all. I am confident that a plastic tube would be more than enough.

The only area that matters is where it threads or bonds to the lower. If your rifle is overgassed, the BCG could crash the buffer at a decent force. Possible making a dart out of the tube by ripping it out. However unlikely if you are also shouldering the rifle applying forward force with your body.

Anyways... 6061 vs. 7075, choose whichever manufacturer has the better reputation. This will decide the surface finish. Not the material. Really, 6061 is much easier to get a nice finish on as 7075 tends to gum on.
View Quote
I keep reading this, trying to make sense of it.

So, you have a receiver extension made of CF, and you made it?  Please post the pics.

Then you mention that the receiver extension receives no force or pressure, and could conceivably be made out of plastic.

I am in awe.

Please explain a bit more thoroughly, so we understand.

7075 may be a bit much for us range guys, but plastic??

My reasons for preferring the 7075 are simply that every 6061 extension I have seen is very poorly machined.  That, and the pictures of 6061 extensions being damaged after mortaring.
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 11:18:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 11:22:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm hitting the Ace store tomorrow!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416992/884-060-3-828787.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416992/pvc-fitting-448-threaded-cap-828788.jpg

A little glue and some lathe action,  it'll be smooth sailing.  
View Quote
Cerakote that shit!
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 11:25:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 2:03:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Thanks for the tips.

Edit-couldn’t find it but when I searched it came right up. Ordering one now.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 2:10:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Yes. You can get an Anderson 7075 from primary arms for $20 right now. No reason to go 6061. You can get BCM/DD/Spikes/Griffin all day for $30-$35

I have 1 6061 and its complete shit. Cheaply made. If they're cutting corners on material their likely cutting corners elsewhere too.

This one is too long to where it stop the upper form closing on the lower. Have to back it out to the point where its barely holding the buffer detent in place and this tube has a cutout thats designed to have the detent pin stick up through it instead of just the shelf that holds the wider part of the pin down.

Also had a hard time locking the stock into certain positions

Granted those aren't really material issues but a general idea of what you're getting with 6061, at least with the one I got.

Also the groove for the end plate is too wide and easily wallowed out so the stock would never be straight. Most definitely a material issue here.

I spent quiet a bit of time the last couple days looking for a new tube. One website, I forget which stated 7075 is twice as strong as 6061. It was either primary arms or aim surplus. Dont know if thats accurate but at least in my experience the 6061 is soft and poor quality.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 2:27:43 AM EDT
[#34]
You can get an Aero tube with hardware, buffer spring and buffer for $26.  No reason to go with a cheaper 6061.

I just picked up two of these to go with my last two lowers.

https://www.schuylerarmsco.com/winter-sale/ar-15-lower-acessories-993/aero-precision-ar15m4-carbine-buffer-kit-no-stock-9939957
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 7:48:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 1:29:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yes. You can get an Anderson 7075 from primary arms for $20 right now. No reason to go 6061. You can get BCM/DD/Spikes/Griffin all day for $30-$35

I have 1 6061 and its complete shit. Cheaply made. If they're cutting corners on material their likely cutting corners elsewhere too.

This one is too long to where it stop the upper form closing on the lower. Have to back it out to the point where its barely holding the buffer detent in place and this tube has a cutout thats designed to have the detent pin stick up through it instead of just the shelf that holds the wider part of the pin down.

Also had a hard time locking the stock into certain positions

Granted those aren't really material issues but a general idea of what you're getting with 6061, at least with the one I got.

Also the groove for the end plate is too wide and easily wallowed out so the stock would never be straight. Most definitely a material issue here.

I spent quiet a bit of time the last couple days looking for a new tube. One website, I forget which stated 7075 is twice as strong as 6061. It was either primary arms or aim surplus. Dont know if thats accurate but at least in my experience the 6061 is soft and poor quality.
View Quote
Yep.  I have yet to see a decent one, or have anybody report that they have seen a good one.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 1:40:54 PM EDT
[#37]
I have bent a mil spec diameter tube mortaring it on concrete w/ a fixed entry length stock.  Likely 6061.

There are $2 commercial diameter plastic tubes on the market, and used commercial 6061 tubes with stock run $5 at the gun show.  If you're doing a budget gift build shop around.

When I get around to shooting the plastic buffer tube I'll post up.  Have it clamped in a Hera Arms thumbhole with no castle nut.  Probably more likely to strip the threads or break there than blow out the bottom, but we'll see.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 3:49:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just curious, but did you even bother reading the thread?

People have already described smearing threads, bending or breaking tubes when mortaring, and even have the back of the tube blow out due to impact from the buffer.

How in the world could you think it receives no force or pressure at all?

The instant the buffer and spring are installed it's under spring pressure, which only increases during cycling as the spring compresses. The buffer hitting the back of the tube would definitely count as force, as would mortaring the stock to clear a stoppage.

There's no way I would even consider running a plastic buffer tube, and there's no reason to use 6061 either when 7075 is close to the same price.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 4:36:31 PM EDT
[#39]
But they're not close to the same price.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 4:38:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Just curious, but did you even bother reading the thread?

People have already described smearing threads, bending or breaking tubes when mortaring, and even have the back of the tube blow out due to impact from the buffer.

How in the world could you think it receives no force or pressure at all?

The instant the buffer and spring are installed it's under spring pressure, which only increases during cycling as the spring compresses. The buffer hitting the back of the tube would definitely count as force, as would mortaring the stock to clear a stoppage.

There's no way I would even consider running a plastic buffer tube, and there's no reason to use 6061 either when 7075 is close to the same price.
View Quote
You may have misunderstood my comments.

Pressure would effect the wall of the tube. Force would effect the back portion (closest to your shoulder). There is no pressure that effects the wall of the tube. The rear most area where an overgassed rifle may crash into is the only area that may be damaged. Even then... highly unlikely from either 7075or 6061.

I have a Crabon fiber tube bonded to a 3d printed lower. Then a 3d printed shoulder rest bonded to the tube. I have put plenty of rounds downrange with this rifle now...

All I am trying to say is the material does not matter. Only the manufacturing practices performed by the person who made it. If I were buying one... I would 100% buy the 7075. It dosnt make sense not to giving the price. But the comments above about the quality has nothing to do with the material type. Only the machining.

For example... My buffer tube.

Link Posted: 2/2/2019 5:49:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 6:00:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Pressure would effect the wall of the tube. Force would effect the back portion (closest to your shoulder). There is no pressure that effects the wall of the tube. The rear most area where an overgassed rifle may crash into is the only area that may be damaged. Even then... highly unlikely from either 7075or 6061.

I have a Crabon fiber tube bonded to a 3d printed lower. Then a 3d printed shoulder rest bonded to the tube. I have put plenty of rounds downrange with this rifle now...

All I am trying to say is the material does not matter. Only the manufacturing practices performed by the person who made it. If I were buying one... I would 100% buy the 7075. It dosnt make sense not to giving the price. But the comments above about the quality has nothing to do with the material type. Only the machining.

https://i.imgur.com/FemC6tn.jpg
View Quote
Side charging upper or how's the charging handle work with the tab on your lower?
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 6:26:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:  6061 tubes at Gunpartscorp for ~$15
7075 Andersons ~$18

View Quote
You missed my post where I can pick up a 6061 commercial tube AND stock for $5 @ the local gun show.  That's about a $3 aluminum buffer tube.  That's a 500% price increase for a 7075 mil-sepc diameter buffer tube over a 6061 commercial diameter.  500% difference does not equal "nearly the same".
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 6:58:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You missed my post where I can pick up a 6061 commercial tube AND stock for $5 @ the local gun show.  That's about a $3 aluminum buffer tube.  That's a 500% price increase for a 7075 mil-sepc diameter buffer tube over a 6061 commercial diameter.  500% difference does not equal "nearly the same".
View Quote
That's like saying you can get an ACOG clone for $100, but a real one costs $1,000.

You might be correct that a 6061 tube is worth $3, but that's being generous, as you have no idea of its origins. I'd rather spend the extra money on something of known quality from a known vendor, rather than gamble with a gun show special. Just my personal opinion, of course.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 6:59:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/FemC6tn.jpg
View Quote
What caliber is your rifle? Would you mind posting a photo of the entire receiver?
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 8:27:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:  That's like saying you can get an ACOG clone for $100, but a real one costs $1,000.

You might be correct that a 6061 tube is worth $3, but that's being generous, as you have no idea of its origins. I'd rather spend the extra money on something of known quality from a known vendor, rather than gamble with a gun show special. Just my personal opinion, of course.
View Quote
Did you just compare a 6061 commercial buffer tube to an ACOG?  ROFL.

In this case, it's evident where these tubes are from, as the stocks that come w/ them are the uglier than a HiPoint DMPS carbine stocks.  They're DPMS Oracle & Sportical takeoffs.  They're what I give away in the Trash Panda parts thread.  The post office even delivers them unwrapped.  Throw some tape over the threads & they're packaged.  

I have not yet heard of counterfeit 6061 commercial tubes.  Made from recycled coke cans in Commie China?  They might fail at the least opportune moment.  

Buf if you can find em for a buck fifty, lemme know, I'll get some poor unsuspecting bloke in the Trash Panda thread to try one out.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 8:32:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Well, we'll see how the known quality plastic $2 buffer tube works tomorrow w/ the 27" bbl.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 10:30:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Did you just compare a 6061 commercial buffer tube to an ACOG?  ROFL.

In this case, it's evident where these tubes are from, as the stocks that come w/ them are the uglier than a HiPoint DMPS carbine stocks.  They're DPMS Oracle & Sportical takeoffs.  They're what I give away in the Trash Panda parts thread.  The post office even delivers them unwrapped.  Throw some tape over the threads & they're packaged.  

I have not yet heard of counterfeit 6061 commercial tubes.  Made from recycled coke cans in Commie China?  They might fail at the least opportune moment.  

Buf if you can find em for a buck fifty, lemme know, I'll get some poor unsuspecting bloke in the Trash Panda thread to try one out.
View Quote
Yes, I did compare them, but as an analogy and not a direct comparison.

If you're getting DPMS tubes and stocks for $3, that's a great deal! Like I said, I prefer known products from known vendors. My concern is with the more generic tubes you can find on Amazon, which are almost certainly made in China.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 12:43:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Well, if you find any $3 buffer tubes on eBay, let me know.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top