Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/28/2022 5:43:37 PM EDT
I hear the US is moving towards 6.8 spc. Hopefully I’ll be able to get some federal fusion in 115 again to hunt with.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 6:03:03 PM EDT
[#1]
...it's 6.8x51...not the SPC you desire.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 6:22:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
...it's 6.8x51...not the SPC you desire.
View Quote

And it's never gonna take off
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 6:30:55 PM EDT
[#3]
There’s still people who don’t know the difference between 6.8 SPC and .277 Fury?

Two wildly different cartridges, OP.

New “6.8” from the SPEAR on the left, 6.8 SPC second from right:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.277_Fury
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 9:30:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't own either, but both 6.8x42 SPC and 6.8x51 SIG Fury look like great rounds.
Get both?
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 9:42:45 PM EDT
[#5]
The 6.8spc is a great cartridge for hunting shorter distances up to 250 yards
Blackstone Arms has some great barrels and uppers
In 6.8 spc and .556/.223
Longer  shots the .308 will do the job
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 9:48:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

And it's never gonna take off
View Quote

@s4s4u  

6.8 SPC took off...I got the LWRC Six8 to prove it.  Love the rifle and the round; vicious on Whitetail...and then...the caliber died.  ...just gone.  Good luck finding good ammo at a decent price...or reloading components i.e. 90gr GD or Fusion projos.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 10:02:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

@s4s4u  

6.8 SPC took off...I got the LWRC Six8 to prove it.  Love the rifle and the round; vicious on Whitetail...and then...the caliber died.  ...just gone.  Good luck finding good ammo at a decent price...or reloading components i.e. 90gr GD or Fusion projos.
View Quote

Was referring to the 6.8x51 aka 277 Fury
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 6:48:30 AM EDT
[#8]
sig Fury is a terrible idea.

1. it operates at pressures higher than "PROOF" rounds. Bad Idea

2. it operates at pressures high enough to reshape most steel alloys. Even Worse Idea

Link Posted: 12/29/2022 9:47:28 PM EDT
[#9]
is arperformance still around?
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 1:39:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
is arperformance still around?
View Quote

Oh no you dint!
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 4:00:30 PM EDT
[#11]
He asked if A PARTICULAR business was still around. He who shall not be named moved, retired and sold the business to the business mentioned a few post earlier.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 4:44:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I wouldn’t mind if it caught on, it was a pretty good option. But I don’t see that as particularly likely, unless someone big adopts it and ammo production kicks up. The new Sig 6.8 (different) isn’t likely to effect the 6.8 SPC, or catch on itself in any significant way.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Oh no you dint!
View Quote

oh yes I did.
im tired of all the secrecy bullshit tagged with arperformance. they were the best thing to ever happen to 6.8 SPC. hands down.

we need to lighten up on this whole thing.

6.8 is a fantastic round and needs to come back. some of the loads are outstanding, especially if you hand load with the right pills.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 8:22:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

oh yes I did.
im tired of all the secrecy bullshit tagged with arperformance. they were the best thing to ever happen to 6.8 SPC. hands down.

6.8 is a fantastic round and needs to come back. some of the loads are outstanding, especially if you hand load with the right pills.
View Quote

The problem, and reason they were banned from mentioning, was the former owner and him offering rewards for people shilling his product and spamming threads with positive reviews of his stuff and negative posts toward competitors, IIRC. It became impossible to know whether the comments about the company were legit or fake. The former owner I think was also banned for some shenanigans prior to this and continued his behavior through proxies. Product was fine, probably even very good, owner was a tool.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 8:30:45 PM EDT
[#15]
You want some real hurt feelings? If Q Kevin and Hornady had been behind 6.8 it would have done much better and probably still be going strong.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 9:20:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I LOVE 6.8SPC

Link Posted: 12/30/2022 10:13:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I wouldn’t mind if it caught on, it was a pretty good option. But I don’t see that as particularly likely, unless someone big adopts it and ammo production kicks up. The new Sig 6.8 (different) isn’t likely to effect the 6.8 SPC, or catch on itself in any significant way.
View Quote

Agreed, I think it’s great combat round and a better alternative to 5.56 but I’m glad I didn’t invest in the caliber because components are hard to get and expensive.

For some reason I thought Jordan or Saudi Arabia adopted the round….I know that’s not large scale but it would ensure ammo is still being made.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 10:28:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't have one but really want one assuming I can get components.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 1:07:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Agreed, I think it’s great combat round and a better alternative to 5.56 but I’m glad I didn’t invest in the caliber because components are hard to get and expensive.

For some reason I thought Jordan or Saudi Arabia adopted the round….I know that’s not large scale but it would ensure ammo is still being made.
View Quote

I don't remember the country maybe there were several but I definitely remember a big contract. Think they had LWRC Six8's.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 1:41:38 AM EDT
[#20]
I've had a 6.8 since Barrett had been working with 5th SF Group at Campbell to make production uppers, not hand done one at a time.

I have 3 now. An Adam's Arms piston kitted one is my favorite right now.

Link Posted: 12/31/2022 1:50:00 AM EDT
[#21]
I love my three 6.8 SPC rifles
12.5" SBR, 16" RECCE, 16" light weight hunter.
Sold my 18 inch.

How is the new Army 6.8 round different from 270 Winchester?
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 1:59:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

How is the new Army 6.8 round different from 270 Winchester?
View Quote

Performance wise probably close but we won't know the reality until we see a bunch of actual tests of the ultra high pressure 277 Fury. Size wise the 270 is a 3006 long action caliber and the new 277 Fury is basically a 308 sized case so physically it will fit in anything that is based around that.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 3:47:19 AM EDT
[#23]
I love the 6.8spc. I really do. I'm a fanboy. It's served me well. But it didn't make a big enough splash to begin with, with the stillbirth thanks to remington, and it's not making a comeback. 6.5g won, despite it's own problems. 6mm arc is the only thing that's gonna give the grendel a run for it's money.

ETA: I currently still shoot 6.8spc, 6.5g, and do plan to give 6arc a shot eventually, so no bias. My mind is open now.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 8:07:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

oh yes I did.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh no you dint!

oh yes I did.

I got a warning for mentioning that company, in the past.
Should have added an emoji to indicate sarcasm.
My Grendel and Valkyrie have barrels from them.
Wish they would make 6mm ARC barrels with their Titan Bolt...
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 8:21:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't think I ever knew the stories involved but there is always bad blood. AR Performance, AR15barrels, M4C and others.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 10:33:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I don't think I ever knew the stories involved but there is always bad blood. AR Performance, AR15barrels, M4C and others.
View Quote

IIRC (and it’s been a long time) I think ar15barrels was pretty well respected but then hit a rough patch in business (?, moved the shop and got sick maybe?) and screwed over some members with lost items. I think he tried to give an explanation but wasn’t able to make good on the losses and got nasty in the aftermath. Unless I’m mixing up the story with someone else.

IIRC, M4C was created by Grant to be a place for his followers after he was run off from here for being a dick (stomping on competitors and being an egomaniac). Bad blood from some of those who ran off with him, others are able to navigate both sites without the drama. Much of the bad blood over there is from banned former members here who can’t let things go (like markm and SteyrAug, IIRC).

Or I could be misremembering some parts, it’s been a long time and I tried to stay out of the drama (which seems to be prevalent in the online gun community).
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:20:00 PM EDT
[#27]
I know in my heart 6.8 spc is dead, just like this deer is dead in his heart from 6.8 spcAttachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:58:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

IIRC (and it’s been a long time) I think ar15barrels was pretty well respected but then hit a rough patch in business (?, moved the shop and got sick maybe?) and screwed over some members with lost items. I think he tried to give an explanation but wasn’t able to make good on the losses and got nasty in the aftermath. Unless I’m mixing up the story with someone else.

IIRC, M4C was created by Grant to be a place for his followers after he was run off from here for being a dick (stomping on competitors and being an egomaniac). Bad blood from some of those who ran off with him, others are able to navigate both sites without the drama. Much of the bad blood over there is from banned former members here who can’t let things go (like markm and SteyrAug, IIRC).

Or I could be misremembering some parts, it’s been a long time and I tried to stay out of the drama (which seems to be prevalent in the online gun community).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Harrison was busted for  AROCKing people here.

Grant was busted for price fixing.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 12:07:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

The COC prohibition is from like 10 years ago, that kind of ultra specific COC should have an expiration date.
New people might not know what happened 10 years ago, especially in the COC specific to a sub forum.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 12:41:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The COC prohibition is from like 10 years ago, that kind of ultra specific COC should have an expiration date.
New people might not know what happened 10 years ago, especially in the COC specific to a sub forum.
View Quote

Agreed. It's not like the barrels sucked...
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 12:46:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Agreed. It's not like the barrels sucked...
View Quote

Exactly, this is a tech forum.  That provider has the best 6.8 tech.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 1:09:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah yes, I did forget that part with Grant
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 1:10:57 AM EDT
[#33]

nice

Link Posted: 1/1/2023 2:41:37 PM EDT
[#34]
I have both the 6.8 spc and 6.5 G.  I think they are both great rounds and really wish we would see more bolt actions chambered for them.  I feel both rounds make great "youth" rifles or for people who have shoulder problems and want to reduce recoil and still take deer sized game.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 4:49:12 PM EDT
[#35]
I have two 6.8s.  Both built on Stag 6.8 SPC marked lowers and Harrison barrels.  Both shoot really well.  ASC mags have 2.315" internal clearance, so you can load to 2.295" easy.

When Art of SSA sold to Nosler, it hurt.  Nosler didn't do much with it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 12:15:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Count me in as another 6.8spc fan boy. Currently have 2 16" uppers and my 12.5" barrel should be delivered tomorrow for my SBR deer hunting rifle.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 10:14:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Here's mine.  6.8 SPC Bison Armory Upper with Aero Precision Atlas R One Rail, Aero Precision Sripped Lower, Geissele SSA-E Trigger and Sightmark Wraith 4K Max.  It's my hog hunting rifle but only have about 8 boxes of Federal Fusion 115gr ammo left and can't find anymore.  

Link Posted: 1/4/2023 1:35:57 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm not really so much a fan of the 6.8, but it the magazines are so much easier to sort than G mags.  All the possibilities of a cartridge don't mean much unless you can pick up a magazine and expect it to work.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 1:49:43 AM EDT
[#39]
I have 2 Barrett REC7's chambered in 6.8 and I am a fan.  I have many different AR's to include multiple JP, LWRC, Seekins and etc and I would grab one of my Barrett's if I had to choose one.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 2:22:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm not really so much a fan of the 6.8, but it the magazines are so much easier to sort than G mags.  All the possibilities of a cartridge don't mean much unless you can pick up a magazine and expect it to work.
View Quote

The mags and bolt are huge advantages of the 6:8.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 4:09:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ironically enough, I've been using my ASC 15rd 6.8spc magazines for my 6.5g without issue.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 4:51:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Mine never left, OP!
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:12:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Have a couple, love them.
Deer and hogs not so much.

Attachment Attached File

All of these will do the job, some more... abruptly than others...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 10:31:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Ironically enough, I've been using my ASC 15rd 6.8spc magazines for my 6.5g without issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same capacity I assume?
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:42:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Same capacity I assume?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same capacity I assume?

Only 14 6.5g fit in an ASC 6.8spc 15rd magazine (or mine at least).
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 9:09:13 PM EDT
[#46]
I don’t want to drift the thread but I have 2 6.8’s and use 10 and 25 round PRI mags and they work great.

I also have a 7.62x39 upper and have a lot of CPD mags of varying capacities.

I’m wanting 6.5G upper for no other reason than I just want one.

Will the CPD mags work with the Grendel or do I need Grendel specific mags?
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I don’t want to drift the thread but I have 2 6.8’s and use 10 and 25 round PRI mags and they work great.

View Quote

It appears experiences vary in that. My 6.8 magazines (Ruger marked, CProducts?) have worked with 6.5 G when loaded with 20 the few times I’ve tried. I think people have used 7.62x39 mags with varied success.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 8:43:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

My 26rd (27, 28? can't remember now) 7.62x39 CPD mags are my go-to 6.5G mags. The 24rd E-Landers all shit the bed when shooting suppressed, while the CPD x39 mags, which fed a suppressed 7" barreled x39 upper on an M16 lower for years, have just chugged along on a suppressed 18" Larue and now a suppressed 12" PSA upper.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 9:31:00 AM EDT
[#49]
I’ve been searching for a .224v bolt gun to turn into a 6.8. Love my 6.8s and arp barrels
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 12:35:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Though my only experience in 6.5g is with my ASC 6.8spc mags, I did try to search and read of whether it was possible or not first, and in doing so came across conflicting accounts. I gave up looking for the answer and figured screw it, worst thing that can happen is I need to buy a few more magazines, so I decided to give it a try anyway, and have been pleasantly surprised.  I started with one round in the magazine first, then moved up to five, then ten and finally capacity. So I'd suggest just giving what you have a shot, and take it in capacity stages if the first round works. You never really know. If it works out, sweet, and if not, you already figured you might have to buy a few more magazines anyway.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top