Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2020 10:56:06 AM EDT
Looking at building a 6.8 for my wife to use as a hunting rifle. I know the 6.8 and 6.5 has been discussed but since she won't be taking any shots passed most likely 200 and the ammo we have here plus me getting into reloading I think the 6.8 will suit her well. Here's what I'm looking at using for the upper. Any advice on whether or not these are parts worth using or if I should swap to something else?

Barrel - 16" Stainless from they who won't be named
Upper - Spikes tactical upper assy
Handguard - 13.5" Diamondhead VRS-T
BCG - Expo Arms 6.8 Salt Bath Nitride
Gas Block - Expo Arms low profile gas block
Muzzle Device - PWS PRC 30 Comp
Magazines - C-Products Stainless 6.8 w/ gray follower

Ive got a Leupold 3-9 scope and I'll probably use something like a Vortex cantilever mount or something like that. Any advice on other things to use or does this sound like it should be a good build for her?
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 2:48:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a 6.8 several years ago I used for WV whitetail.  The Barnes 110g tsx while not fast, were still very effective.  I had a CMMG barrel, not my first choice, but it was quite accurate.  

From your list, my only comments would be I desipse muzzle brakes on hunting rifles because I don't wear hearing protection.  While I have very little experience with the diamond back handguards, the ones I have used were heavy.  Nice form, but heavy.  I don't like heavy hunting rifles.  Cheaper vortex mounts fall into that category too. Also I think all of the sub $100 vortex mounts are made in china.  For about $80, there are many many much better US made choices.  Like the Aero Ultra light.  Not just that one, just the first one that comes to mind thinking of what I have or have had.  C products mags are GTG.  

Good luck and post some build pics !  I think you'll be happy with the 6.8
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 3:59:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AFCarbon15:
I had a 6.8 several years ago I used for WV whitetail.  The Barnes 110g tsx while not fast, were still very effective.  I had a CMMG barrel, not my first choice, but it was quite accurate.  

From your list, my only comments would be I desipse muzzle brakes on hunting rifles because I don't wear hearing protection.  While I have very little experience with the diamond back handguards, the ones I have used were heavy.  Nice form, but heavy.  I don't like heavy hunting rifles.  Cheaper vortex mounts fall into that category too. Also I think all of the sub $100 vortex mounts are made in china.  For about $80, there are many many much better US made choices.  Like the Aero Ultra light.  Not just that one, just the first one that comes to mind thinking of what I have or have had.  C products mags are GTG.  

Good luck and post some build pics !  I think you'll be happy with the 6.8
View Quote

What would you suggest as a muzzle device? I know the recoil shouldn't be bad but I'm just wanting to help minimize that and muzzle rise as much as I can for her.

Handguard weight I hadn't really considered but that's a good point. I'd like to try and keep weight down where I can without going too crazy.

I'll look at the aero ultra light and some of the other scope mounts too.

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 4:15:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I would get the melonite/nitride finish CMV barrel instead of stainless, but it probably won't make any practical difference.

For the muzzle device it's more in knowing whether she is more sensitive to recoil or to noise/muzzle blast.

A stock with a wider, more comfortable cheekweld like a Crane stock helps with recoil sensitivity.

PRI makes nice 6.8 magazines, they have 5, 10 and 15 round 6.8 magazines which might be nice for hunting.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 4:23:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I also hunted with a 6.8 for around 10 years now. White tail in Georgia and hogs and Ga and Florida. Longest shot on a doe was 275 yards and dropped it like a sack of potatoes. My setup is a WOA SS 16 inch barrel, Noveske rail, Larue trigger ( used to have a RRA 2 stage for a while) and a 3-9 Leupold in a Larue Mount. Muzzle device is a custom suppressor mount for my form 1 can. I pretty much always hunted with a Barnes 110 loading. Excellent package.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 4:25:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:
I would get the melonite/nitride finish CMV barrel instead of stainless, but it probably won't make any practical difference.

For the muzzle device it's more in knowing whether she is more sensitive to recoil or to noise/muzzle blast. 

A stock with a wider, more comfortable cheekweld like a Crane stock helps with recoil sensitivity.

PRI makes nice 6.8 magazines, they have 5, 10 and 15 round 6.8 magazines which might be nice for hunting.
View Quote

PRI Magazines are the best IMO.

i had one of those Diamondhead handguards and the fit and finish on it was horrible. I ended up not using it and sold it. Put a MidWest Industies G3 handguard on there and am happy with that. G3, SLH, Combat...they all go on without having to time the barrel nut with shims IOT clear the gas tube.
Torque to 50lbs. Install gas block/tube and muzzle device. Install HG and 2 bolts....Easy Peasy.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 4:31:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Noise might bother her more in a hunting situation but I'm not sure. I believe it's pretty similar but how does the 6.8 compare to the 5.56 in regards to noise and recoil? Shes rung steel with my ar at 300 so shes a good shot and comfortable handling that so I may be more concerned about it than I really need to be.

Stainless barrel was what I was looking at mainly because it showed in stock but if the other barrels would be better I could swap that easily.

Right now her lower just has a standard m4 stock but we could swap it out with my ACS to see if she likes the difference in cheek weld.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 4:33:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By SEAN10MM:

PRI Magazines are the best IMO.

i had one of those Diamondhead handguards and the fit and finish on it was horrible. I ended up not using it and sold it. Put a MidWest Industies G3 handguard on there and am happy with that. G3, SLH, Combat...they all go on without having to time the barrel nut with shims IOT clear the gas tube.
Torque to 50lbs. Install gas block/tube and muzzle device. Install HG and 2 bolts....Easy Peasy.
View Quote

Sounds like I should look at a different handguard then. I just liked the look of it and figured the sculpted bottom would be comfortable to hold and easy to rest in a blind. I'll keep looking around for other handguards too.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 4:46:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I got the Diamondhead rail thinking the same thing. It was comfy in the hand.....but looked cheap. Machine/tool marks in a few spots and the finish looked like spray paint. Not worth the $120 I paid back then. I got the G3 off of the EE here for $135 shipped. The SLH and the Combat rails feel nice in the hand too, I have a couple of each on rifles and pistols. Not too fancy and priced right. My next choice is the BCM MCMR, they are a killer deal on sale. I usually watch Primary Arms around Black Friday, Memorial Day, and Independence Day for sales.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 4:46:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:24:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By d16man:
Go ahead and get the superbolt with the barrel.  That way it is matched and headspaced.   Also, those barrels are gtg.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/337946/14971172020951959552577-227386.jpg
View Quote

+1 on the superbolt ordered with the barrel. I bought a 5.56 bcg and swapped in the 6.8 superbolt. Throw the 5.56 bolt in the spare parts box.

Nice rifle d16man. I think I have the same barrel and can on mine, YHM 30LT and 12.5" unmentionable barrel. One of my favorite guns.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:28:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I got the Diamondhead rail thinking the same thing. It was comfy in the hand.....but looked cheap. Machine/tool marks in a few spots and the finish looked like spray paint. Not worth the $120 I paid back then. I got the G3 off of the EE here for $135 shipped. The SLH and the Combat rails feel nice in the hand too, I have a couple of each on rifles and pistols. Not too fancy and priced right. My next choice is the BCM MCMR, they are a killer deal on sale. I usually watch Primary Arms around Black Friday, Memorial Day, and Independence Day for sales.
View Quote

Really good to know. I'll be skipping out on the Diamondhead rail then. Who makes the G3 rail, Geissele? I'll look into the BCM rail as well as the others you mentioned.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:29:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Go ahead and get the superbolt with the barrel.  That way it is matched and headspaced.   Also, those barrels are gtg.

View Quote

Man that's a good looking rig. What rail and can is that too? That would be a more future addition.

Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:30:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Gotcha, makes sense to order the bolt with it then if it's headspaced too.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:33:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:34:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:54:49 PM EDT
[#16]

12.5 is my next one.  This is the 16" scout.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By eric496:

+1 on the superbolt ordered with the barrel. I bought a 5.56 bcg and swapped in the 6.8 superbolt. Throw the 5.56 bolt in the spare parts box.

Nice rifle d16man. I think I have the same barrel and can on mine, YHM 30LT and 12.5" unmentionable barrel. One of my favorite guns.

12.5 is my next one.  This is the 16" scout.

I did think maybe it looked longer than 12.5, but not as long as my 16". It's a scout too, but no can is on it at the moment.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 11:02:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By jamieeasley:

Really good to know. I'll be skipping out on the Diamondhead rail then. Who makes the G3 rail, Geissele? I'll look into the BCM rail as well as the others you mentioned.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I got the Diamondhead rail thinking the same thing. It was comfy in the hand.....but looked cheap. Machine/tool marks in a few spots and the finish looked like spray paint. Not worth the $120 I paid back then. I got the G3 off of the EE here for $135 shipped. The SLH and the Combat rails feel nice in the hand too, I have a couple of each on rifles and pistols. Not too fancy and priced right. My next choice is the BCM MCMR, they are a killer deal on sale. I usually watch Primary Arms around Black Friday, Memorial Day, and Independence Day for sales.

Really good to know. I'll be skipping out on the Diamondhead rail then. Who makes the G3 rail, Geissele? I'll look into the BCM rail as well as the others you mentioned.

It may have been a fluke...bad luck of the draw concerning the finish on that handguard from Diamondhead. I dunno, but someone else wanted it more than I did so that's that.

The G3 Rail is made by MidWest Industries. Check out their website for their handguards....some pretty cool offerings...including titanium barrel nuts if you are weight conscious.

And no, I do not work for them....I just think their products are very well made.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:54:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Weight is somewhat of a concern so I’d like to keep the weight down as much as I can but without going nuts over it. I’ve heard good things about Midwest so I’ll check them out too.

Also talked with her more about it last night and she said noise and recoil aren’t as much of a concern as muzzle rise is. She’d like to be able to more easily see the deer after the shot through the scope. What muzzle device would y’all recommend for that, or would the PWC I looked at in the beginning work well for that?
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 11:38:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Best muzzle device is a suppressor.
C Products mags are ok but PRI mags are best followed by Barrett.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 1:08:51 PM EDT
[#20]
12.5" and 16" 6.8s. Other than when going to other states, I haven't shot the 16" much since putting together the 12.5" with silencer. Kick seems minimal to me. I think the adjustable gas blocks help with that. Both have Midwest Industries handguards.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 4:41:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Also talked with her more about it last night and she said noise and recoil aren’t as much of a concern as muzzle rise is. She’d like to be able to more easily see the deer after the shot through the scope. What muzzle device would y’all recommend for that, or would the PWC I looked at in the beginning work well for that?
View Quote

If you don't care what it looks like or how loud it is, the JP muzzle brake will hold it down.

https://jprifles.com/1.4.3_tre.php?menu_select=jpre

Although she can probably adapt her shooting position/stance and basically eliminate muzzle rise.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:52:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Powder_Burns:
Best muzzle device is a suppressor. 
C Products mags are ok but PRI mags are best followed by Barrett.
View Quote

Suppressor is in the plans, but not the budget for this time lol.

I'll look at the PRI mags too. Ive used c product mags for my ar before and haven't ever had a problem but if there's something better I want to make sure she doesn't ever have a problem with it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:55:10 PM EDT
[#23]

If you don't care what it looks like or how loud it is, the JP muzzle brake will hold it down.

Although she can probably adapt her shooting position/stance and basically eliminate muzzle rise.
View Quote

Yeah I bet those will do the trick on muzzle rise but that may be a bit extreme for her lol. I'm sure you're right on the shooting position/stance too, she hasn't spent too much time behind a rifle and deer hunting. She's killed 1 deer like 10 years ago so I'm really looking forward to getting her back into it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:56:12 PM EDT
[#24]

If you don't care what it looks like or how loud it is, the JP muzzle brake will hold it down.

Although she can probably adapt her shooting position/stance and basically eliminate muzzle rise.
View Quote

Yeah I bet those will do the trick on muzzle rise but that may be a bit extreme for her lol. I'm sure you're right on the shooting position/stance too, she hasn't spent too much time behind a rifle and deer hunting. She's killed 1 deer like 10 years ago so I'm really looking forward to getting her back into it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 10:17:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 11:14:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks I'll take a look at that one too.

I'm thinking a 15" rail to give plenty of support locations for resting the rifle and keeping her hands away from barrel and gas tube and all. That too much rail or should I be good with that?
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 2:58:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Couple days late to the party, but another vote here for the PRI mags.  If you are reloading, it's really really hard to beat 90 gold dots.  You can push them a lot faster than 100 or 110 grain bullets and they are devastating on deer.  Plenty accurate too.  

As far as reloading powder goes, Accurate 2200 is the go-to for 6.8 SPC.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 7:36:21 PM EDT
[#28]
If she hunts without hearing protection and has never shot a 16” rifle with a brake while not hearing hearpro, that might end up bothering her more than the mild recoil of a 6.8. Even something as simple as an A2 flash hider will help reduce muzzle rise, though it won’t do anything for recoil, and also won’t greatly increase the sound. I’d have her shoot a couple boxes of ammo through it before she goes hunting to get her used to the recoil. If she chooses to use something like Walker’s Game Ear (Game Ear) then a muzzle brake would be just fine. Look into the VG6 line. They’re relatively inexpensive and eliminate a lot of recoil, but are quite loud.

The Midwest Industry handguards are lightweight but I’ve seen a couple of the G3 models slide off the barrel nut. Go for the Combat line if you go with MI, but keep in mind they have a very small (1.3”) I.D. and so some gas blocks won’t fit. The Seekins SP3R rail has a flat bottom which will help with stability if she hunts from a stand or blind that has some sort of shooting rest.

While not particularly attractive in appearance, Hogue’s overmold rail features a soft rubber coating around most of the rail. I used to have an overmold stock on a Remington 700 and it’s one of the best hunting stocks I’ve ever used. The rubber is much quieter than solid aluminum, wood, or plastic when banging against things, and it never gets super hot or cold with the weather. So if it gets frigid where you hunt, it will be much more comfortable gripping this than a standard aluminum rail, though you could always get some soft M-Lok rail covers of your preference to help with that.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 5:35:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By MORifleman:
Couple days late to the party, but another vote here for the PRI mags.  If you are reloading, it's really really hard to beat 90 gold dots.  You can push them a lot faster than 100 or 110 grain bullets and they are devastating on deer.  Plenty accurate too.  

As far as reloading powder goes, Accurate 2200 is the go-to for 6.8 SPC.
View Quote

Thanks I'll go with the PRI mags instead. Seems to be a pretty good consensus for them.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 6:19:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By UncleverUsername:
If she hunts without hearing protection and has never shot a 16” rifle with a brake while not hearing hearpro, that might end up bothering her more than the mild recoil of a 6.8...
View Quote

Lots of good info in here thanks. She's pretty sensitive about her ears so she'll want to wear the electronic ears we have when hunting I'm sure. I'll look at the VG6 brakes too.

Good to know on the MI rails and yeah I think it was the combat line I was looking at but I'm still trying to decide honestly. I like that the seekins has a flat bottom because she will mostly be shooting from a blind so that will help.

One other question is I'm going to have to order an upper vise block or something to assemble the upper. I have a magpul BEV block that locks into the barrel extension but it's packed away while our house is being built and we're with the inlaws. What's the best upper vise block to get, or should I be looking at something like the Geissele reaction rod or something like that? Going to start ordering parts/tools tomorrow so I'm excited to start the project.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 6:47:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Another route for noise mitigation would be a compensator that directs the blast forward, you’ll spook everything on four legs but the noise and concussion behind the rifle isn’t as bad. A quick search will turn up several products.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 9:39:23 PM EDT
[#32]

Lots of good info in here thanks. She's pretty sensitive about her ears so she'll want to wear the electronic ears we have when hunting I'm sure. I'll look at the VG6 brakes too.

Good to know on the MI rails and yeah I think it was the combat line I was looking at but I'm still trying to decide honestly. I like that the seekins has a flat bottom because she will mostly be shooting from a blind so that will help.

One other question is I'm going to have to order an upper vise block or something to assemble the upper. I have a magpul BEV block that locks into the barrel extension but it's packed away while our house is being built and we're with the inlaws. What's the best upper vise block to get, or should I be looking at something like the Geissele reaction rod or something like that? Going to start ordering parts/tools tomorrow so I'm excited to start the project.
View Quote

Honestly, your best bet may be letting her shoot with no muzzle device at all. The 6.8 barely kicks more than a 5.56, and if you wanted, you could use an adjustable gas block to tune the gas to reduce recoil even more.

As far as upper vise blocks go, the old DPMS delrin claws were my favorite, but since DPMS is no more, apparently so are the claws. I wish Brownells would start making them.

The best thing I’ve seen since those is actually this VISM upper vise block. They have a great video that explains how it works. It’s far cheaper than a Geissele reaction rod. Since you already have a BEV block, there’s really no point in getting a reaction rod. This are only needed if you’re putting a lot of torque on the barrel, like when installing/removing a muzzle device. For installing a barrel nut, the VISM tool would be perfect.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 9:55:26 PM EDT
[#33]
regular A2 style flash suppressor

6.8 recoil is mild and muzzle brakes are obnoxious

I like carbon fiber handgards for hunting because aluminum feels cold in the winter

get a LARUE or ADM scope mount that allows the scope forward so she can get a proper cheek weld

6.8 is a wonderful  deer killer

Attachment Attached File

16” LW wilson combat 6.8
PRI carbon fiber
LARUE SPR-E with NIKON Monarch 1-4x German #4
JP trigger

Link Posted: 5/8/2020 9:59:39 AM EDT
[#34]

Honestly, your best bet may be letting her shoot with no muzzle device at all. The 6.8 barely kicks more than a 5.56, and if you wanted, you could use an adjustable gas block to tune the gas to reduce recoil even more. 

As far as upper vise blocks go, the old DPMS delrin claws were my favorite, but since DPMS is no more, apparently so are the claws. I wish Brownells would start making them. 

The best thing I’ve seen since those is actually this VISM upper vise block. They have a great video that explains how it works. It’s far cheaper than a Geissele reaction rod. Since you already have a BEV block, there’s really no point in getting a reaction rod. This are only needed if you’re putting a lot of torque on the barrel, like when installing/removing a muzzle device. For installing a barrel nut, the VISM tool would be perfect.
View Quote

Man I really like that vise block, thanks for that one. I'll pick this one up and I think that should get me where I need to be on tools.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 10:02:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Derek45:
regular A2 style flash suppressor 

6.8 recoil is mild and muzzle brakes are obnoxious 

I like carbon fiber handgards for hunting because aluminum feels cold in the winter

get a LARUE or ADM scope mount that allows the scope forward so she can get a proper cheek weld

6.8 is a wonderful  deer killer

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2275/76D00AD8-CEA9-4111-A0FB-111FF589A99F_jpe-1406098.JPG

16” LW wilson combat 6.8
PRI carbon fiber
LARUE SPR-E with NIKON Monarch 1-4x German #4
JP trigger

View Quote

Good looking rifle. Hadn't considered the carbon fiber handguards mainly cause I assumed the cost would be more than we're wanting to pay right now but I probably should really look into them more.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 2:14:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Anyone have any experience with these handguards?

https://www.opticsplanet.com/tacstar-carbon-fiber-ar-15-handguard.html

Seems like a good price but I don't want some garbage either.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:02:35 AM EDT
[#37]
If she hunts without hearing protection and has never shot a 16” rifle with a brake while not hearing hearpro, that might end up bothering her more than the mild recoil of a 6.8. Even something as simple as an A2 flash hider will help reduce muzzle rise, though it won’t do anything for recoil, and also won’t greatly increase the sound. I’d have her shoot a couple boxes of ammo through it before she goes hunting to get her used to the recoil. If she chooses to use something like Walker’s Game Ear (Game Ear) then a muzzle brake would be just fine. Look into the VG6 line. They’re relatively inexpensive and eliminate a lot of recoil, but are quite loud. 

The Midwest Industry handguards are lightweight but I’ve seen a couple of the G3 models slide off the barrel nut. Go for the Combat line if you go with MI, but keep in mind they have a very small (1.3”) I.D. and so some gas blocks won’t fit. The Seekins SP3R rail has a flat bottom which will help with stability if she hunts from a stand or blind that has some sort of shooting rest.

While not particularly attractive in appearance, Hogue’s overmold rail features a soft rubber coating around most of the rail. I used to have an overmold stock on a Remington 700 and it’s one of the best hunting stocks I’ve ever used. The rubber is much quieter than solid aluminum, wood, or plastic when banging against things, and it never gets super hot or cold with the weather. So if it gets frigid where you hunt, it will be much more comfortable gripping this than a standard aluminum rail, though you could always get some soft M-Lok rail covers of your preference to help with that.
View Quote

I am curious about what you said About the midwest industry hand guard. How is the attachment method And between the combat hand guard and the G3 hand guard different?d

Instead of looking to replace your aluminum hand guard with an expensive carbon fiber one, this could be a cheap option to keep your hand from getting cold if you're not wearing gloves.

https://triadtactical.com/rifle-forend-wrap/
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 12:44:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By MDStroup:

I am curious about what you said About the midwest industry hand guard. How is the attachment method And between the combat hand guard and the G3 hand guard different?
View Quote

The G3 rails clamp around a knurled barrel nut. MI also provides a green, high-temp adhesive to help prevent the rail from sliding off. This works fine 95% of the time. I’ve personally had one slide forward on the barrel nut. It didn’t come all the way off. It was on a DPMS G2 .308 shooting from a bipod, which of course puts more sheering force on it than just shooting free hand. I followed the instructions exactly, applied the adhesive, and it failed. Ive talked to a few other people who have also had it fail.

The newer combat line uses a groove in the barrel nut with a notch on the torque plate to mechanically prevent the rail from moving. I think this is a far more secure way of attaching it. I’m not knocking the G3 rails because I have 3 or 4 of them and they’re great. But if the Combat like had been around when I bought these G3’s, the Combats would have been a no-brainer.

Here is a pretty solid review with pictures that better illustrate what upgrades were made.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 12:57:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Anyone have any experience with these handguards?

https://www.opticsplanet.com/tacstar-carbon-fiber-ar-15-handguard.html

Seems like a good price but I don't want some garbage either.
View Quote

I avoid optics-not actually in stock-planet.

but these guys are good ...

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/001011081116/12inch-carbon-fiber-handguard--ar-15

earlier thread

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Lyman-TacStar-Carbon-Fiber-Handguard/12-740932/

Link Posted: 5/10/2020 3:44:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Use an A2 flash hider and an adjustable gas block to tune the gas to your load. 6.8 is already soft. There’s no reason to make it obnoxious with a brake. And the diamond head hand guard looks like a giant ribbed dildo.
MI makes great products. But if you want to completely avoid sliding hand guards, look at the larue upper and hand guard combo or the lesser expensive Aero Precision M4E1 upper and hand guard combo. The hand guards bolt to the receiver on these instead of the barrel nut.

LaRue Stealth 2.0 Upper Receiver and Hand Guard

Aero Precision M4E1 Enhanced Upper Receiver and Handguard

Or, you could use just a Larue hand guard which also does not attach directly to the barrel nut.

LaRue Hand Guards
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 11:24:05 PM EDT
[#41]
If your wife is not wearing ear protection while hunting, I would not be using the PWS PRC comp.  I had one on my 16" 308 for 2 seasons.  Every time I shot a deer, my ears rang for the remainder of the day.

I don't run comps on any of my hunting rifles.  I run suppressors now, so I have zero need for a comp.  Besides, pretty much any caliber built on the AR-15 platform does not need a comp.  If my 10 yr old daughter and 8 yr old son can shoot my 308 AR without a comp, anybody can handle a 6.8.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:13:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Yeah I think I'm leaning away from the brake now. Most likely either just an A2 or some other type of flash suppressor.

Thanks for the info on the handgaurds too guys, really appreciate it. I like the Larue guards but with they had a 15" version.

I'll keep looking at those and decide soon.

First parts arrived yesterday so got the Texas Edition Aero stripped upper, upper parts kit and charging handle. Matches really well with her Texas flag lower.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:24:11 AM EDT
[#43]
My deer/hog gun for the last few seasons, i do a lot of walking and rarely have a shot over 150yd, no complaints.
Barrel is medium-heavy profile that i cut down from Bison, may flute the rear for weight.
Been using 120SST, want to try a Barnes 95gr load but have never picked any up.

I will never use brakes for hunting, as i don't wear ear pro.
I like the linear comps to keep blast down.  Follow-up is fine, not like I'm looking for the fastest split times for double taps on deer...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:42:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Good looking setup.

Does anyone know on the Tacstar CF handguards if you can remove the pic rail section on the top? I'm sure it just bolts on and off but wanted to make sure. I'm liking that rail right now though.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 7:52:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Good looking setup.

Does anyone know on the Tacstar CF handguards if you can remove the pic rail section on the top? I'm sure it just bolts on and off but wanted to make sure. I'm liking that rail right now though.
View Quote

Yes the rail is just screwed on so removal is a non-issue.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:07:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By LastRites:

Yes the rail is just screwed on so removal is a non-issue.
View Quote

Great, thanks for the feedback.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:47:32 AM EDT
[#47]
If you haven't already picked a rail, I highly recommend the ALG Defense EMR rails.  I've used Midwest Industries (Good), Geissele (Rock solid, expensive), YHM TJ (good, heavy), and the ALG rails are my favorite for the money.  The mounting system is excellent, they're ergonomic, really light, and very affordable -- especially during their sales.  Keep an eye on their website this weekend for the Memorial Day sale, as they offer around 30% off - even more if they have Blemished rails available with cosmetic defects.  If you're concerned about the rails getting too hot or cold due to the weather, just wrap some camo tape around it or mount some plastic MLok covers and call it good.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:01:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If you haven't already picked a rail, I highly recommend the ALG Defense EMR rails.  I've used Midwest Industries (Good), Geissele (Rock solid, expensive), YHM TJ (good, heavy), and the ALG rails are my favorite for the money.  The mounting system is excellent, they're ergonomic, really light, and very affordable -- especially during their sales.  Keep an eye on their website this weekend for the Memorial Day sale, as they offer around 30% off - even more if they have Blemished rails available with cosmetic defects.  If you're concerned about the rails getting too hot or cold due to the weather, just wrap some camo tape around it or mount some plastic MLok covers and call it good.
View Quote

If you've ever shot or hunted in the cold you will find that carbon hand guards are the ticket as they don't get cold like aluminum does to the touch, huge difference.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 5:39:15 PM EDT
[#49]
I was pretty set on the Tacstar carbon fiber but I can't find anyone that has one in stock and the only place that has an estimation for backorder shows 6-8 months or something like that so I'm still thinking. Leaning toward the Seekins cause I like the fact that it has the flat bottom and since she'll mainly be stand hunting that would help her steady a lot. She said she can just put on her big girl panties if it gets cold lol, but also being here in Texas it doesn't usually get all that cold. Never noticed it when I hunted with my AR anyway. The ALG defense rails look pretty good too though and a bunch of others so I still need to decide.

Another problem I'm having now though is that I can't get anything back from the barrel mfg I was going to use so I may end up going with a different barrel than originally planned.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:10:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Lancer has a nice carbon fiber handguard that seems to be nearly out of stock:
https://lancer-systems.com/product/lcr5-handguard/

Or you can go SPR style with the Precision Reflex carbon fiber forearm:
https://www.precisionreflex.com/Products.aspx?CAT=4811
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top