Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2021 12:07:28 PM EDT
I’m doing a 6.5 Grendel build gotta love the ammo availability (kidding)

Very hard to find barrels right now.  Your thoughts on this barrel from Bkings? Im assuming it’s BA or Faxon built.

It’s super heavy at 41oz, was wanting a fluted barrel but damn, that’s damn near impossible to fond

https://bkingsfirearms.com/shop/ar15-barrels-223-wylde-5-56mm-300-blk-and-6-5-grendel/bkf-ar15-18-6-5-grendel-rifle-length-nitrided-416-r-spr-barrel/
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 10:36:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I’m doing a 6.5 Grendel build gotta love the ammo availability (kidding)

Very hard to find barrels right now.  Your thoughts on this barrel from Bkings? Im assuming it’s BA or Faxon built.

It’s super heavy at 41oz, was wanting a fluted barrel but damn, that’s damn near impossible to fond

https://bkingsfirearms.com/shop/ar15-barrels-223-wylde-5-56mm-300-blk-and-6-5-grendel/bkf-ar15-18-6-5-grendel-rifle-length-nitrided-416-r-spr-barrel/
View Quote

I’m no expert, but they have quite a few BCA barrels on there not a fan of those. But I’m also tempted to get one because I have parts lying around, but no barrel.  I really don’t need another rifle but it’s a sickness (BRD) you always want to build more!  I’ve been debating getting one in 6mm ARC, but I’m heavily invested in 6.5mm stuff and don’t really want another caliber to deal with.  Ugh, I need to get rid of more 30 caliber stuff...
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 12:07:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 4:52:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I’d be surprised if the barrel Op linked is manufactured by BCA if you can believe the product photo.   Faxon routinely QPQ/Nitride barrels as does Green Mountain.  The 6.5 Grendel Group Buy barrels at SixFiveArms are Green Mountain and they get good reviews.   I have two Faxon Group Buy Monster logo barrels and one 12” Green Mountain 6.5 Grendel Monster logo barrel.    I’ve been satisfied with all three of these barrels which were in the same price range as the barrel linked by Op.

The problem right now is finding anything to buy whether components or ammo.  I have no experience with the vendor in the OP’s link.

SixFiveArms is out of stock on 6.5 Grendel barrels but has 6 ARC barrels in stock.

https://www.sixfivearms.com/shop/
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 6:00:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’d be surprised if the barrel Op linked is manufactured by BCA if you can believe the product photo.   Faxon routinely QPQ/Nitride barrels as does Green Mountain.  The 6.5 Grendel Group Buy barrels at SixFiveArms are Green Mountain and they get good reviews.   I have two Faxon Group Buy Monster logo barrels and one 12” Green Mountain 6.5 Grendel Monster logo barrel.    I’ve been satisfied with all three of these barrels which were in the same price range as the barrel linked by Op.

The problem right now is finding anything to buy whether components or ammo.  I have no experience with the vendor in the OP’s link.

SixFiveArms is out of stock on 6.5 Grendel barrels but has 6 ARC barrels in stock.

https://www.sixfivearms.com/shop/
View Quote

Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 6:08:43 PM EDT
[#5]
SixFiveArms or Lilja depending on your budget.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 10:25:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
SixFiveArms or Lilja depending on your budget.
View Quote

Thanks, the SixFiveArms looks interesting but all out of stock
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 12:32:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I dont knowing they still have them but I got a faxon BCG and faxon 6.5 barrel from arm or ally about 2 weeks ago.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 7:58:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I dont knowing they still have them but I got a faxon BCG and faxon 6.5 barrel from arm or ally about 2 weeks ago.
View Quote

@dana what faxon barrel did you get?  It looks like armorally is out of stock
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 8:43:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Where are all those nice barrels?
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 8:49:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Lilja has fluted barrels in stock, both 18” and 20” (actually 17.5” and 19.5” since they measure their barrels weird).  They have Maxim bolts in stock as well.

Ain’t gonna be cheap, but it’ll shoot.  Both of my Lilja Grendel barrels were consistently extremely solid performers.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 8:57:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Lilja has fluted barrels in stock, both 18” and 20” (actually 17.5” and 19.5” since they measure their barrels weird).  They have Maxim bolts in stock as well.

Ain’t gonna be cheap, but it’ll shoot.  Both of my Lilja Grendel barrels were consistently extremely solid performers.
View Quote

If you'll be doing any mid/long range work at all, the Lilja barrels are well worth it. AR319, AR740, & AR24 are in stock now and 10.5", 12.5", 14.5" & 16" options will be in stock very soon (2-3 weeks). Bolts and carriers are in stock as well.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 10:19:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

@dana what faxon barrel did you get?  It looks like armorally is out of stock
View Quote

I picked up a Faxon 6.5 Grendel 16" Gunner profile along with a Faxon 6.5 BCG
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 9:42:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If you'll be doing any mid/long range work at all, the Lilja barrels are well worth it. AR319, AR740, & AR24 are in stock now and 10.5", 12.5", 14.5" & 16" options will be in stock very soon (2-3 weeks). Bolts and carriers are in stock as well.
View Quote

Thank you, I’m sure they are nice, I just really wasn’t wanting to dish out $600 on a barrel.  Any idea why they don’t use rifle length gas system?
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 10:29:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thank you, I’m sure they are nice, I just really wasn’t wanting to dish out $600 on a barrel.  Any idea why they don’t use rifle length gas system?
View Quote

It depends on the barrel length w/Lilja. Anything longer than 16" do use the rifle length gas, 16" barrels are mid-length, anything shorter uses the carbine gas system.

How long of a barrel do you want? Unless you're looking for something fluted, price should land somewhere in the neighborhood of $400 - $500 to your door. Shoot me an IM and I can get you a quote (I'm a stocking dealer for Lilja).
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 1:40:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Alexander Arms 16" nitride is also quite heavy but more middle tiered, priced inline with Faxon. Can take a week or months after ordering to have it in hand tho.

I wish I grabbed more six five arms gear when I could. The owner has reported a long lead time which could extend until winter, but bolts should be back again in weeks. I missed out on a 20" and 16" grendel, but the Monster 12"s are awesome.
Keep an eye on the EE here and on the 6.5 grendel classified page.

The 6mm arc 12" will be the best bet for price and prompt shipping, and ammo may be easier to find vs grendel which has dried up with all the extra demand. 6mm Arc ammo may be sittting at your gun store shelves just collecting dust.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 4:16:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for all the valuable info
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 10:20:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I have an 18" really 18.5 I think that's a midlength. Probably better off with a rifle length but it allows me to reload subs that will cycle the action.

Quoted:

It depends on the barrel length w/Lilja. Anything longer than 16" do use the rifle length gas, 16" barrels are mid-length, anything shorter uses the carbine gas system.

How long of a barrel do you want? Unless you're looking for something fluted, price should land somewhere in the neighborhood of $400 - $500 to your door. Shoot me an IM and I can get you a quote (I'm a stocking dealer for Lilja).
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:51:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Just tuned in looking for anything Grendel. Don't know what you decided on or if your still looking. I have purchased a 6.5 Grendel barrel and waiting for it to made, 4-6 weeks it was purchased in March and should be delivered by 4/26/2021.

The barrel comes with a matched Bolt or you can purchase the same type barrel with a matched Bolt Carrier Group, a few dollars more. I did op for the Black Finish $30 more, don't like shiny things on a black rifle. ; )

Here are the Stats:

Atheris Rifle 6.5 Grendel Fluted Barrel & Bolt
Guaranteed Sub MOA (1" at 100yds)
416R Stainless Steel
1:8 Twist
5R Rifling
Fluted
5/8x24 Threads
Headspaced Bolt Included
.750 Gas Block Diameter
12" is Carbine gas length
16", 18" are Mid gas length
20", 22" are Rifle gas Length

https://atherisrifle.com/products/atheris-rifle-6-5-grendel-fluted-barrel-bolt.html
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 12:32:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd also check with Compass Lake Engineering for a quality barrel, done the way you might want it. They are quite reasonable considering the blank you use.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 9:58:11 PM EDT
[#20]
How about this Saturn?

https://www.sgtofarms.com/product-page/satern-liberty-18-fluted-barrel
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 10:16:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I would order the barrel profile and length I want and wait for it to show up.  While waiting for the barrel, I would busy myself with acquiring all the other components to build the rifle, and some ammo.

FWIW, after building and shooting a half dozen Grendels, the ideal barrel for me would be a light/medium profile with fluting, 18 inch barrel.  18 inches is the best compromise between compact and getting the velocity that makes the cartridge so useful.  I have had 24, 20, 18, 18, and 16 inch barrels, and I would still go with a light weight, fluted, 18 inch barrel.  With the proper loading, an 18 inch barrel can keep a 123 grain bullet supersonic to around 1200-1400 yards depending on altitude and environmental factors.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 3:44:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I would order the barrel profile and length I want and wait for it to show up.  While waiting for the barrel, I would busy myself with acquiring all the other components to build the rifle, and some ammo.

FWIW, after building and shooting a half dozen Grendels, the ideal barrel for me would be a light/medium profile with fluting, 18 inch barrel.  18 inches is the best compromise between compact and getting the velocity that makes the cartridge so useful.  I have had 24, 20, 18, 18, and 16 inch barrels, and I would still go with a light weight, fluted, 18 inch barrel.  With the proper loading, an 18 inch barrel can keep a 123 grain bullet supersonic to around 1200-1400 yards depending on altitude and environmental factors.
View Quote

@genin all great points

I’m almost done assembling the build, really just need a barrel, atlas bipod, and still thinking about the optic.  Your thoughts on this Saturn 18”

Link Posted: 4/10/2021 10:33:29 AM EDT
[#23]
The Satern/Liberty 18” barrels usually show up with huge gas ports in their mid length gas  18” barrels.  For $340 I’d spend more and get a Lilja or Criterion.   Lilja supposedly had 6.5 Grendel barrels in stock or I’d get on the Brownell’s notification for a Criterion or Faxon.

If you do get the Satern/Liberty barrel I highly recommend an adjustable gas block or RCA adjustable gas carrier key.

https://www.righttobear.com/RCA-Adjustable-Gas-Key-p/1ad-gky.htm
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 10:46:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

@genin all great points

I’m almost done assembling the build, really just need a barrel, atlas bipod, and still thinking about the optic.  Your thoughts on this Saturn 18”

https://i.ibb.co/K97MzzB/DBF479-E9-F1-ED-426-D-937-E-A7-BFB9-AFF0-E5.jpg
View Quote

It is a nice looking rifle, but I don't have any experience with that brand of barrel so I don't know if they have a reputation for accuracy or not.  There is a 65grendel website where you can find TONS of information about everything Grendel.  One thing I notice is that that barrel has a mid length gas system, and that will product more recoil and higher pressures from gas port to bolt carrier than a full length gas system.  Even on 5.56 rifles, I vastly prefer full length gas systems as they have less recoil and shoot more smoothly than shorter gas systems...a full length gas system is worth the wait.  

Unless you already have a good trigger, you might want to consider the Larue MBT 2 trigger...they are a terrific value for the money you spend.  I think I paid around $87 for the last one I bought because I specified that I wasn't in a hurry to get it.  Larue told me it would be around 30 days, but I received the trigger 12 days after ordering it..  The first time they told me it would be 30 days, I received the trigger within a week.  If you order it on the "I have to have it right now" option, I think they cost around $125.  

Sure, Geissele and other companies make fabulous triggers for nearly 3x the price, but I always ask myself if the trigger is actually 3x better.  If a trigger is 1.5 times better, and 1.5 times the price, it sort of balances out, otherwise, I go for the best value for my dollar.  The MBT2 that I have has a 2 pound initial take up and a 1.5 pound final break...really nice.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 11:02:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The Satern/Liberty 18” barrels usually show up with huge gas ports in their mid length gas  18” barrels.  For $340 I’d spend more and get a Lilja or Criterion.   Lilja supposedly had 6.5 Grendel barrels in stock or I’d get on the Brownell’s notification for a Criterion or Faxon.

If you do get the Satern/Liberty barrel I highly recommend an adjustable gas block or RCA adjustable gas carrier key.

View Quote

Thanks for the info, I haven’t heard a bad thing about lilja, I may go that route
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 11:05:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It is a nice looking rifle, but I don't have any experience with that brand of barrel so I don't know if they have a reputation for accuracy or not.  There is a 65grendel website where you can find TONS of information about everything Grendel.  One thing I notice is that that barrel has a mid length gas system, and that will product more recoil and higher pressures from gas port to bolt carrier than a full length gas system.  Even on 5.56 rifles, I vastly prefer full length gas systems as they have less recoil and shoot more smoothly than shorter gas systems...a full length gas system is worth the wait.  

Unless you already have a good trigger, you might want to consider the Larue MBT 2 trigger...they are a terrific value for the money you spend.  I think I paid around $87 for the last one I bought because I specified that I wasn't in a hurry to get it.  Larue told me it would be around 30 days, but I received the trigger 12 days after ordering it..  The first time they told me it would be 30 days, I received the trigger within a week.  If you order it on the "I have to have it right now" option, I think they cost around $125.  

Sure, Geissele and other companies make fabulous triggers for nearly 3x the price, but I always ask myself if the trigger is actually 3x better.  If a trigger is 1.5 times better, and 1.5 times the price, it sort of balances out, otherwise, I go for the best value for my dollar.  The MBT2 that I have has a 2 pound initial take up and a 1.5 pound final break...really nice.
View Quote

Thanks, my build is already sporting the Larue MBT-2s
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 5:48:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
With the proper loading, an 18 inch barrel can keep a 123 grain bullet supersonic to around 1200-1400 yards depending on altitude and environmental factors.
View Quote

With any loading in my 18", I can't keep it supersonic better than 900. That means transonic about 750. So elevation and environmental do mean something when your considering barrel length and cartridge. What load and environmentals are you using?

For this reason I'm considering rebarrelling to 22", and even then I expect to be right at 1050 yards super, so considering just just going 6mmArc after running those numbers.

Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:15:16 AM EDT
[#28]
The 6 mm ARC appears to be a better cartridge for banging steel past 800 yards than the 6.5 Grendel.   I think the 6.5 Grendel is a better medium game cartridge but the 6 mm ARC might be a better varmint cartridge, especially if your interested in the pelts.   The 6.5 Grendel really isn’t fur friendly compared to some other cartridges.

I’ve seriously considered getting a 6 mm ARC but I currently don’t have much time for shooting.   With all the shortages in firearms products and proposed legislation I decided to hold off on adding another cartridge.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 1:25:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info, I haven’t heard a bad thing about lilja, I may go that route
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's pricey for sure, but I'll confirm that the Lilja AR319 barrel is one hell of a shooter. Factory ammo does pretty good, but handloads are where it's at. The AR I built with this barrel is hands down the most accurate rifle I've ever owned. It does have a mid length gas system and I run an H2 equivalent buffer system in it, shells eject at 3:00. But again though, it's pricey. The non-fluted is $130 cheaper, but it's .3 pounds heavier too.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:51:07 PM EDT
[#30]
It isn't the top of the line, but Optics Planet has AA 20" fluted heavy 6.5 Grendel barrels on sale.  If you have a 10% off coupon code, it's a relatively inexpensive option.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 7:20:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Won't even consider selling my Lilja grendel, makes everyone who shoots look like some kind of expert marksman.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 9:31:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Won't even consider selling my Lilja grendel, makes everyone who shoots look like some kind of expert marksman.
View Quote

Just ordered a 20” fluted Lilja!  Looking forward to seeing it in action
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 10:31:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Satern
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top