Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2020 11:37:03 PM EDT
I'm new here ... not sure I know how to search yet as well as navigate the forums, so bear with me. I'm trying to building my first AR platform. I'm leaning towards, but not committed to, building an AR in 6.5 Grendel with a an approximately 9.5 to 11.5 inch barrel with a 9" suppressor on it. I'm curious what can I expect for precision out to 600 yards (target)  and 300 yards (realistic hunting). Anyone got any real world results?
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 2:33:09 PM EDT
[#1]
The Alexander Arms 11.5” barrels generally are good shooters so most reports are 1-1.5 MOA with preferred ammo.  I find pistol Ar-15’s more difficult to shoot.   The Nosler 129 grain Accu Bond Long Range expands down to 1300 FPS and has proven very popular in the Ar-15 pistols chambered in 6.5 Grendel.   Lilja has gotten great reviews on their 6.5 Grendel barrels.  Most short 6.5 Grendel barrels on the market are 12”-12.5”.   I have a 12” PSA and a 12” Green Mountain Monster logo 6.5 Grendel barrels.    A quality barrel should shoot good regardless of length.  If you want guaranteed  accuracy get the Lilja or other high end barrel.  It is generally cheaper in the end to get a quality barrel as wasted ammo and range time usually off set the cost if you get a cheap barrel that does not shoot to your expectations.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 6:17:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info. The barrel length I referenced is just some that I had found while searching online. So, 12-12.5" should be fine as well. And thanks for the manufacturers recommendation. That was probably going to be my next question.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 5:29:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Well I dont see that barrel on Lilja's website and the only reference I could find online was a special group buy at one time. :/
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 1:03:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I suggest you call Lilja and see if they will sell what you want.  If not Craddock Precision or Precision Firearms can produce quality 6.5 Grendel barrels but there are significant wait times for delivery.

Here are some velocities Mark from Precision Firearms posted on short 6.5 Grendel barrels.  This might give you an idea what length barrel you want to purchase.   You might buy a AA, Faxon, BA, PSA or Monster Logo Green Mountain barrel.   You could see if you like the platform while you wait on a custom barrel then sell the cheaper barrel/upper after you receive the custom barrel.

Precision firearms short barrel velocity.

7.5 Bartlien at 100 Yards. Groups averaged 1.5 Inches 2000 FPS 123 Match King
8.5 Bartlien at 100 Yards. Groups Averaged 1.4 Inches 2100 FPS 123 Match King
10.5 Bartlien at 100 Yards. Groups averaged .9 Inches 2200 FPS 123 Match King
12.5 Lilja Blank Chambered by PF at 100 Yards. Groups .75 2300 FPS 123 Match King
14.5 Lilja Blank Chambered by PF at 100 Yards. Groups .5 2350 FPS 123 Match King
14.5 Krieger at 100 Yards. Groups averaged .38 2375 FPS 123 MatchKing
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 1:47:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm new here ... not sure I know how to search yet as well as navigate the forums, so bear with me. I'm trying to building my first AR platform. I'm leaning towards, but not committed to, building an AR in 6.5 Grendel with a an approximately 9.5 to 11.5 inch barrel with a 9" suppressor on it. I'm curious what can I expect for precision out to 600 yards (target)  and 300 yards (realistic hunting). Anyone got any real world results?
View Quote

You are going to lose velocity for every inch you lop off so keep that in mind concerning twist.  You will need a faster twist with a shorter barrel to get the RPM's needed to stabilize a bullet at distance.  By the same token your trajectory arc will increase so your range estimation will be more critical.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top