Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/6/2018 4:26:07 PM EDT
Just got my Jig from 5D. I will have my first lower in later this week. They recommend WD40 as a cutting Fluid. Can anyone recommend something better? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 4:33:57 PM EDT
[#1]
WD40 works great.  I use a coolant on the CNC at work, but use WD40 anytime I’m machining aluminum at home.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 4:35:27 PM EDT
[#2]
WD40 for home use is correct.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 4:59:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I use, lard and kerosene mixed together, have also used WD and I have used brown cutting oil, all of them work on aluminum just fine.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 6:43:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Magic Tap.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 7:39:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys. I think we will hold off on the lard. For now.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks guys. I think we will hold off on the lard. For now.
View Quote
Actually the Lard and kerosene mix is an old time recipe that works really good for aluminum and steel, they came up with that in the infancy of metal machining and some old timers still claim it is the best, of course now a days you can pick up clean white lard at the store all packaged up so it is not skimmed off the bacon skillet after the Sunday morning family breakfast!

Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:58:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I used WD40 on my first 2, and then switched to Relton A9 Aluminum cutting fluid (based on good reviews of the Relton, and that it was readily available for a decent price). I never tried Tap Magic that others also recommend, but I imagine it would perform similarly to the Relton.

The thicker cutting fluid was dramatically better than the WD, and the lower came out with a much smoother cut than my earlier ones with WD. Since it works out to less than $2 worth of cutting fluid per lower, and it will probably make the bit last longer, I would say it is definitely worth it.

I filled one of my plastic oil bottles with the fluid and put a few drops into the trigger pocket every pass after I vacuumed out the chips.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 9:31:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Actually the Lard and kerosene mix is an old time recipe that works really good for aluminum and steel, they came up with that in the infancy of metal machining and some old timers still claim it is the best, of course now a days you can pick up clean white lard at the store all packaged up so it is not skimmed off the bacon skillet after the Sunday morning family breakfast!

View Quote
What self respecting machinist didn’t have a sardine can of bacon grease?
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 10:08:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Information like this is one reason I'm on this site

I have used hydraulic fluid bought by the 5 gallon bucket to cut steel with for years. I grabbed the can and lubricated with it when milling a lower, I never even thought about it much until now.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 10:39:02 PM EDT
[#10]
If the tool is not being flooded when turning how does the lube help with the cutting? After the first cut it is it not cutting an unlubed surface? I would think you would have to mist or drip the cutting tool surface to really lubricate the cutting edge.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 9:00:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I did all of mine with some Hoppe’s #9 oil I had sitting around. Worked fine. If you stop often to lube and don’t push too hard, most lubes work fine for router milling.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 4:40:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If the tool is not being flooded when turning how does the lube help with the cutting? After the first cut it is it not cutting an unlubed surface? I would think you would have to mist or drip the cutting tool surface to really lubricate the cutting edge.
View Quote
I put a few drops or some spray into the trigger pocket before I start each new pass. The bit kind of splashes it around as you're cutting, and it is cutting through a surface that has a light coat of oil, so I guess that enough to help it.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 4:53:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I used WD40 on my first 2, and then switched to Relton A9 Aluminum cutting fluid (based on good reviews of the Relton, and that it was readily available for a decent price). I never tried Tap Magic that others also recommend, but I imagine it would perform similarly to the Relton.

The thicker cutting fluid was dramatically better than the WD, and the lower came out with a much smoother cut than my earlier ones with WD. Since it works out to less than $2 worth of cutting fluid per lower, and it will probably make the bit last longer, I would say it is definitely worth it.

I filled one of my plastic oil bottles with the fluid and put a few drops into the trigger pocket every pass after I vacuumed out the chips.
View Quote
I wasn't going to contribute here as my experience has been with another jig, using Relton A9 and with excellent results. I also used a 1" - 2-1/2" adapter for the shop vac screwed in place of the buffer tube continously sucking up the chips.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
In cooking, oil works well for heat transfer.  I imagine it works the same in machining that it allows heat to dissipate as well as lubricate.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 9:32:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Yup, I have a bottle of that stuff, works really good and it don't take much.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 12:09:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Just started my build. Useing WD40 first pass went great. Second pass the end mill broke
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 12:24:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Tap Magic to ease cutting and extend bit life.  More than a few lowers and your jig will begin to show friction wear.  Use a silicone lube to prevent this and ease movement of the router plate.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 1:46:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just started my build. Useing WD40 first pass went great. Second pass the end mill broke
View Quote
If you broke your bit on the second pass, either you were going to fast, to deep or the router bound, there is no reason it should break even if you didn't have lube, not when using a lube on the piece, something happened and it happened quick enough, you may not have even realized it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 3:55:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 5:12:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Good news. I watched the video on chargeing out the end mills. It was a 30 min job. I got the jig second hand and it came with a end mill for a bosh. Mine is a Dewalt. Just popped in. Attachment Attached File

Just finished it! This time 1/2 hash marks worked great. Vacuum it out every half pass. Can’t wate till I do the next one. Got the AR10 Lower comeing in next week.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 4:46:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Try Eds Red
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top