Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/21/2020 8:26:19 PM EDT
I wanted to mill my 80% lower with the same "mil-spec" fire control pocket dimensions used by BCP, Serbu, and several others.  Not because I plan on using that extra space, but because I can.  Since none of the jigs that are readily available use the mil-spec dimensions but some variant of the "Colt-semi-spec", I decided to modify my 5D jig just a bit.  Since the 80% lowers generally have the rear part of the pocket already milled, everything can be done in 3 steps instead of 4.

Attachment Attached File

It worked out great and here are the results:

Attachment Attached File

I'm happy with how it turned out.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 8:48:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Very cool.  I am impressed.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 9:19:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks nice, however I have run into some 80% lowers that the rear part around the takedown lug is not milled out enough to accept an upper.  So you may still have to cut that part out some.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 9:32:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks nice, however I have run into some 80% lowers that the rear part around the takedown lug is not milled out enough to accept an upper.  So you may still have to cut that part out some.
View Quote

Thanks. Yes that is true sometimes, however the width and length of the lug area is handled by 1st setting.  Only the depth setting is not covered.  To do that, I would have had to mill a 4th setting and made a new guide pin.  Too much effort and not needed for most 80% lowers.  I do have an older spare jig to handle that if needed.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 9:55:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thanks. Yes that is true sometimes, however the width and length of the lug area is handled by 1st setting.  Only the depth setting is not covered.  To do that, I would have had to mill a 4th setting and made a new guide pin.  Too much effort and not needed for most 80% lowers.  I do have an older spare jig to handle that if needed.
View Quote

I mention it mainly because the last several lowers I've milled have needed the rear part opened up in order for the upper to fit width wise.  Depth they were fine. They have been forged ones from two different vendors.  Most of the billet lowers I've done an upper would fit down on them with no milling done at all.  It just depends I guess.
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 8:48:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Excellent work, now if a manufacturer would offer something like this ready to go..that would be awesome and the new standard in jigs. While we are at it, make the trigger slot to spec rather than oversized.
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 10:45:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Excellent work, now if a manufacturer would offer something like this ready to go..that would be awesome and the new standard in jigs. While we are at it, make the trigger slot to spec rather than oversized.
View Quote

Thanks, and I agree that it would probably be the new standard.  The oversized trigger slot is likely because they use an end mill that is the same width as the spec trigger slot and you need a little clearance around it while starting the router.  Modifying the 5D jig is not difficult with the correct tools and information.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 9:42:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice I did that a few months ago to make post samples.

What is that activity on your depth gauge?
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 11:38:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nice I did that a few months ago to make post samples.

What is that activity on your depth gauge?
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 12:03:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks like a bottom depth mark for the sear pocket area with the step marks partially left to get to it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 9:27:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Looks like a bottom depth mark for the sear pocket area with the step marks partially left to get to it.
View Quote

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top