Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2019 1:40:11 PM EDT
I need something definitive lol

Talking to some folks there seems to be a disagreement.  I was under the impression wylde can shoot 223 and 5.56 nato.

Plesse straighten me out here

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 1:45:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Of course, that’s one of the points of the chamber existing.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 1:54:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Of course, that’s one of the points of the chamber existing.
View Quote
And that's why I wanted wylde.

Thanks for the confirmation.

I knew the truth but wanted confirmation lol.

You know how that goes.

Too many know nothing know it alls in my area.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 7:02:09 PM EDT
[#3]
It's not that it won't, but some 5.56 might be a little more finicky in it. But that's a rare occurence.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:28:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I need something definitive lol

Talking to some folks there seems to be a disagreement.  I was under the impression wylde can shoot 223 and 5.56 nato.

Plesse straighten me out here

Thanks
View Quote

Yes....

Who were you talking to that were disagreeing?  Hopefully they were talking about specific ammo not working well or something like that.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 2:45:31 AM EDT
[#5]
The modern AR15 world has become awash in almost as much mythology as the Vietnam and post-Vietnam era.

If you are asking about the mythology of a so-called "223" barrel being unsafe with so-called "5.56" ammo... well....

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/5-56-vs-223/

It's a myth. 5.56 is higher pressure ammo, regardless of the chamber design. There is little difference between the most extreme variations in AR15 chamber designs, aside from the fact that a true SAAMI 223 chamber doesn't work well with the AR15 and you'll essentially never see an AR15 barrel made with one anyway.

The Wylde chamber is not some sort of "shoots 223 or 5.56" miracle either. It's a specialty chamber, intended for precision rifles shooting very long, heavyweight target bullets. It's not a good option for a general purpose AR15, despite it becoming a mythological marketing buzzword. A true Wylde chamber has an interference fit in the throat which can have real-world effects on both firearms handling as well as reliability from copper buildup from longer shooting sessions.

Unless you have a well made precision barrel and are shooting high quality (probably handloaded to the barrel) ammo, you'll be hard pressed to detect any difference in accuracy & precision between a Wylde and a larger-throated chamber design. FWIW there are dozens of different chamber designs for the 223 Remington / 5.56mmx45 cartridge.
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 9:49:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The modern AR15 world has become awash in almost as much mythology as the Vietnam and post-Vietnam era.

If you are asking about the mythology of a so-called "223" barrel being unsafe with so-called "5.56" ammo... well....

It's a myth. 5.56 is higher pressure ammo, regardless of the chamber design. There is little difference between the most extreme variations in AR15 chamber designs, aside from the fact that a true SAAMI 223 chamber doesn't work well with the AR15 and you'll essentially never see an AR15 barrel made with one anyway.

The Wylde chamber is not some sort of "shoots 223 or 5.56" miracle either. It's a specialty chamber, intended for precision rifles shooting very long, heavyweight target bullets. It's not a good option for a general purpose AR15, despite it becoming a mythological marketing buzzword. A true Wylde chamber has an interference fit in the throat which can have real-world effects on both firearms handling as well as reliability from copper buildup from longer shooting sessions.

Unless you have a well made precision barrel and are shooting high quality (probably handloaded to the barrel) ammo, you'll be hard pressed to detect any difference in accuracy & precision between a Wylde and a larger-throated chamber design. FWIW there are dozens of different chamber designs for the 223 Remington / 5.56mmx45 cartridge.
View Quote
Great and accurate dissertation, but it goes way beyond OPs simple question about 5.56 in a  Wylde chamber.

The answer is “yes,” because Wylde was inherently designed to be compatible with both 5.56 and .223.

Whether OP obtains any benefit from his Wylde chambered barrels or whether they might need more frequent cleaning are different questions.
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 9:56:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks for this excellent information.

If I was trying to decide on which chamber to purchase, and didn't know whether NATO cartridges were safe to fire in a Wylde chamber, I'd appreciate any good knowledge that could help me make a more informed decision.
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 10:21:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I have two Wylde chambered ARs. I have shot a lot of .223 and 5.56 from both with never a problem.  One of them is a sub MoA rifle. The other is close, but not quite there.

I do clean my weapons from time to time.
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 11:00:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If I was trying to decide on which chamber to purchase, and didn't know whether NATO cartridges were safe to fire in a Wylde chamber, I'd appreciate any good knowledge that could help me make a more informed decision.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There have been 1x10^87 power threads on the mythological Wylde chamber on arfcom.

Unless you are building a precision rifle for static shooting competitions, I suggest something else other than a true Wylde chamber. FWIW, John Noveske agreed with that assessment, which is why he made his own Noveske match chamber. There are numerous other chamber designs as well.

The biggest practical issue with a true Wylde chamber is that it can prevent normal hand extraction of live rounds - ie, makes it difficult to unload the rifle. There are some other issues at play also, but not being able to readily unload the firearm has obvious implications for a rifle that would be for a defensive application.

I've rambled ad infinatum on the issue...
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/_223_Wylde/118-639909/
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-/66-568069/
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-223-Wylde-or-5-56/12-714442/?#i7467604
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Any_reason_NOT_to_go_with_a__223_Wylde_chamber_/12-664199/#i6708285
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Trouble_with_223_Wylde_Chamber/118-694541/href=#i7170330

As I mentioned before, you will never encounter a so-called "223" chamber in an AR15 in any event. Well, maybe if you find a stainless bull barrel from the Reagan era. It would have an even worse problem with live round ejection and fouling than what a Wylde would.

What used to be esoteric technical details that only concerned precision shooters has become a blizzard of marketing buzzwords that just serves to confuse most people, and in my opinion, has actually done a disservice to the average consumer in both the information as well as the products that are offered.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 9:35:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Who were you talking to that were disagreeing?  Hopefully they were talking about specific ammo not working well or something like that.
View Quote
Sportsman's Warehouse routinely tells people that the Wilde chambering may or may not work for/ with 5.56. They have a strict policy of not advocating any ammo. Due to liability, they only say to use what is stamped on the barrel. If you ask for the Wilde ammo, they say they don't stock any....
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 10:19:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sportsman's Warehouse routinely tells people that the Wilde chambering may or may not work for/ with 5.56. They have a strict policy of not advocating any ammo. Due to liability, they only say to use what is stamped on the barrel. If you ask for the Wilde ammo, they say they don't stock any....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wylde is not a cartridge/type of ammo, it's a particular chamber design (one of dozens) for the 223 Remington / 5.56x45 cartridge.

Ammo designated 5.56 is usually (but not always) loaded to either borderline or higher chamber pressure than allowed for under the 223 SAAMI specification. SAAMI doesn't allow "+P"/"+P+" designations for rifle ammo, so they call it the metric name instead of the SAAMI registered name.

Whether a firearm is safe to shoot higher pressure ammo is a function of the overall firearm design and not really dependent on the nuance of how the throat is cut in the barrel. As the lucky gunner test demonstrated, small (in-spec) variations in case body diameter in the chamber makes more difference in chamber pressure than does different throat designs.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 10:41:16 PM EDT
[#12]
A guy working at a local gun mega mart told me 556 not ok in 223 Wylde chamber.

And he was a total tool about it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 10:50:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A guy working at a local gun mega mart told me 556 not ok in 223 Wylde chamber.

And he was a total tool about it.
View Quote
Disregard the ignorant.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 4:09:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I've noticed a slight increase in pressure. Flattened primers out of my Wylde but not in my 6720 with M193.

But haven't had any real issues outside of that.
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 12:38:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've noticed a slight increase in pressure. Flattened primers out of my Wylde but not in my 6720 with M193.

But haven't had any real issues outside of that.
View Quote
How's the headspace compare between your guns? If the Wylde is longer, the primers can back up more and squish when the case stretches. Not a pressure issue.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top