Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2021 5:04:45 PM EDT
looking to slap a mag on my KAC CQB. I have an aimpoint t2 in a unity mount (which basically narrows it down to aim point or eotech mag). I wouldn't be against selling the mount in favor of something that would perform well with a 1.93. Ive been intrigued by the micro 3xs that have come out. Anyone have any thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:20:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I’ve used the G33, AP 3X-C, and Trijicon.

They’re all extremely similar in performance.  Glass was good on all, slightly better with the G33 and AP.  Eye relief is comparatively short on most options, but not too big of an issue unless you don’t like NTCH positioning and have rear BUIS preventing you from scooting the magnifier back.

I’d probably suggest skipping the Trijicon.  It’s expensive for a made in China product that’s likely no different than something from Vortex.

AP 3X-C is the one I still own, but I don’t think you can go wrong with other options.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:28:26 PM EDT
[#2]
yeah I was thinking its more so a question of whether ill be able to find either one in stock at this point
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:29:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Just a heads up, the eye relief on the vortex micro sucks.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#4]
The flip to center system alone would make me choose the magnifier that works with Unity mounts.  It's just more intuitive than side flip, though both work.

If you're deciding based upon the magnifier, then Vortex seemingly gets good value reviews.  It's cheaper than the Trijicon and both have good eye relief.  EDIT: I've seen reviews where the eye relief is praised though I've never looked through one.  The post above may be a better opinion.

I have two of the Aimpoint offerings - 3xMAG and 3xMAG-1.  The "-1" is newer .mil version and not worth 2x over the MAG or the "C" that recently came out.  The "-1" does have a slightly longer body and a little better eye relief allowing for more flexible stock and head positioning...at a significant $ cost.

If I'm you I keep the Unity mounts and get the 3x-C from Aimpoint.

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:32:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just a heads up, the eye relief on the vortex micro sucks.
View Quote

It's less than ideal on all of them.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 10:57:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I have used the Holosun HM3X, EOTech G33, Aimpoint 3XMAG, and a Trijicon MRO 3x (that I bought from RJeff21). As already stated, they are all very similar in performance. The Trijicon and Holosun have the best eye relief.

In my opinion, the mounts are what really set them apart. The Trijicon mount is very crisp and snappy, I loved it. But it isn't ambidextrous and I'm a lefty so it had to go. The Holosun was very nice also, but I didnt really have the utmost faith in the clamp on the mount. It seems like it wouldn't take much force to break it. Aimpoints twist mount sucks, IMO. The EOTech mount pissed me off because it wasn't perfectly centered so I had to pay $167 for the Larue mount
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 11:11:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
yeah I was thinking its more so a question of whether ill be able to find either one in stock at this point
View Quote

Optics Planet shows the Aimpoint 3X-C in stock...?
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 1:15:46 AM EDT
[#8]
The new Vortex Mini / Micro / Short little bastard is so damn good that my company Swampfox isn't even developing a 3x magnifier. Just buy the Vortex and go shoot, we can't beat that one right now.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 2:02:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It's less than ideal on all of them.
View Quote

Buddy has the Holosun on a ar308... it has the longest eye relief out of the bunch. I know it’s China, but I think it’s better than my G33.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 10:46:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Optics Planet shows the Aimpoint 3X-C in stock...?
View Quote
Optics Planet lies about what they have in stock often. I ordered something "in stock" from them and got a back order notice.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 11:17:14 AM EDT
[#11]
I personally do not like them on a gun, but it really makes sighting in a rifle with a red dot so much easier for me.  I use a PA red dot.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 11:34:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I personally do not like them on a gun, but it really makes sighting in a rifle with a red dot so much easier for me.  I use a PA red dot.
View Quote

Yeah.

I'm wanting to buy one for just that reason.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 12:48:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the newer Eotech G43. It's a nose to the charging handle eye relief. I get that some are not fond of it for that reason alone. I like that it makes for sighting in a red dot much easier. I also like the fact that it is good for being able to properly identify friend or foe at the longer than normal distances. And I really like the fact that it's a quick release so that if I need to scout out somewhere, I can and know that no one is going to freak out because there's no gun being pointed at them. It drops right into a BFG booboo pouch and I plan on eventually getting a LaRue mount for it to make it more streamlined.

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 1:35:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I still use the original Samson flip mount, and a LaRue flip mount with the original Aimpoint 3X magnifiers.
Both are used with Comp M4s Aimpoints.
Haven't found anything worth upgrading to yet.

Remember this amazing photoshop?

Link Posted: 3/5/2021 12:17:54 AM EDT
[#15]
For reasons I no longer remember (glass clarity I think?) I compared the Vortex vs Burris and ended up buying the Burris. I've been happy with it. If I were buying today I would probably go with the Vortex micro just because my EXPS3 is so damn heavy already.  Not sure why it doesn't get mentioned more but the Burris is a decent unit for good price.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 6:44:32 AM EDT
[#16]
I got a stupidly good deal on a Primary Arms gen 4 long eye relief 3x.

Yes, it's Chyna. Yes, it'll probably get me killed in da streetz.

The eye relief is pretty darn good. I don't have any other magnifiers to compare it to side by side, but from what I can recall the clarity is as good as any other one I've ever looked through. I've banged it around for shits and giggles and it's still in one piece and mounted back up. For the price it's worth a shot.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 11:50:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Same here with the PA gen 4 magnifier. For $90 it’s been great so far and fits in my Unity Aimpoint magnifier mount. I’m not saying it’s better than a g33 or Aimpoint 3x but it easily gets the job done for me.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 12:00:11 AM EDT
[#18]
I've never used an aimpoint, but have used g33, vortex micro, burris, and older vortex. Eotech gets my money still.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top