Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2021 10:51:41 PM EDT
Hello:
I posted this question in the optics sections, but I think this forum would be more appropriate...
"Hello, everyone.
I just bought an early 3x20 colt scope in yellow picture box and had not been able to find much about it online. Just one reference on this forum. It is marked "made in Japan" on the bottom.
Did these scopes follow the red box variants?
What is the approximate production time frame for these?
How many were made?
trying to attach pictures, but for some reason it would not let me...
Thank you!"
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 11:06:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I have never seen one that has a unequivocal date attached to it, but your statements have been my presumption.

They certainly seem rarer than the Realist made ones.

What markings are on the scope? I seem to remember they don't exactly line up with the early Japanese scopes?
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 11:49:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one of the yellow box ones.  The design being the same as the red makes me believe it followed shortly after.  It's also marks 3 x 20mm and has an inverted post and thin crosshairs.  Definitely not a lot of them made.  I've only seen a handful in all my years.  I also have one that came in a plain cardboard box like the AR180 scopes.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 12:39:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for the info!
This scope has a thick Colt logo an 3x20mm under it.
The type of manual and the font on it seems like mid-late sixties. From Colt Industries/Colt small arms division.
For some reason I am unable to post the pictures  - it is asking for URL, but I just need to upload it from my computer...
What is the approximate price range for something like that in excellent plus condition? It comes with an original yellow box, manual, wrapping paper and the desiccant packet as well.
Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:06:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you for the info!
This scope has a thick Colt logo an 3x20mm under it.
The type of manual and the font on it seems like mid-late sixties. From Colt Industries/Colt small arms division.
For some reason I am unable to post the pictures  - it is asking for URL, but I just need to upload it from my computer...
What is the approximate price range for something like that in excellent plus condition? It comes with an original yellow box, manual, wrapping paper and the desiccant packet as well.
Thank you!
View Quote

i would guess on ebay or gunbroker, it would bring $600 to $700 to someone who knew what it was.  unfortunately being a rare one, many people won't know what it is or how rare it is.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 9:24:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 11:33:51 PM EDT
[#6]
It's always been interesting to me that these have the thick painted lettering characteristic of the 80s vintage scopes. All other signs certainly seem to point to them being the first Japanese made units however.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top