Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2020 12:17:51 AM EDT
I am looking for a a forged upper receiver.  My goal is get to as close as I can to a SR25 style receiver.  I think those are forged.  I know LMT makes a lot of products fit Knights and their lowers are pretty much interchangable.  Even if I had to mill the upper, is anyone aware of a good AR-10 / SR25 / LaRue / 308AR upper forging ?
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 12:35:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am looking for a a forged upper receiver.  My goal is get to as close as I can to a SR25 style receiver.  I think those are forged.  I know LMT makes a lot of products fit Knights and their lowers are pretty much interchangable.  Even if I had to mill the upper, is anyone aware of a good AR-10 / SR25 / LaRue / 308AR upper forging ?
View Quote

Nope....
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 10:34:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Like this?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 3:52:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the Aero 308 M5 uppers are forged.  of course, they don't look anything like an SR-25 upper.

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/m5-stripped-upper-receiver-1
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 6:58:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Even if I had to mill the upper, is anyone aware of a good AR-10 / SR25 / LaRue / 308AR upper forging ?
View Quote

The correct word is 'machine'.
A mill is the piece of equipment.
To use one, or a lathe is to 'machine'.
That is why we (people who actually do this kind of work) are called 'machinists'.

People who use jigs & routers to chop out an 80% lower, are not machinists.
I can tell by the metal butchery I see here.

Just using the word 'mill' like you did tells me you are not a machinist, and probably would have to take your forging to a machinist to have the work done.
And when you do, the bill for the machine work will cost more than buying a complete rifle, unless you take it to someone who says "Yes, I have a drill press, I can mill it for you",
at which point you will end up with something that looks as bad as some of the junk I see here.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I remember reading the SR upper receivers are extruded:

http://www.biggerhammer.net/stoner/sr25var10/ar10vsr25.html
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 11:06:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I remember reading the SR upper receivers are extruded:

http://www.biggerhammer.net/stoner/sr25var10/ar10vsr25.html
View Quote

Everything I have read said the SR25's upper was extruded as well.

Tactical Machining's Gen 1 upper looks close to a SR25's, but i believe they are machined from aluminum bar stock.  They are OOS right now.
TM .308 Stripped Upper
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 8:54:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn, this section has gotten pretty bad. Why does no one know Armalite are forged? Matrix aerospace, Stag, are also forged.

Coronas has really hit this section hard. I haven't been here in awhile, nothing but crappy threads.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:56:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Just like someone said, the SR-25 upper receiver is machined from an extrusion.

Several years ago, a company called Genesis used to sell an upper receiver that closely resembled an SR-25 upper.  It was machined from aluminum bar stock.  But, they are no longer in business.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:04:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Damn, this section has gotten pretty bad. Why does no one know Armalite are forged? Matrix aerospace, Stag, are also forged.

Coronas has really hit this section hard. I haven't been here in awhile, nothing but crappy threads.
View Quote

PSA are forged, as well.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 11:29:50 AM EDT
[#10]
As stated above, the uppers from ArmaLite, Martix Aerospace, Palmetto State, and Spikes are made from forgings.  But, the OP stated: "My goal is get to as close as I can to a SR25 style receiver".  None of those look like an SR25 upper.  From what I have seen, only the Tactical Machining, Genesis, and one from SMF Tactical look close.  They are all machined from bar stock.  And, only the SMF is available to order. Here
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:33:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm looking for an upper to fir my LMT lower, has anyone tried a Tactical Machining upper on a LMT lower?
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 1:25:22 AM EDT
[#12]
theres a huge difference between sr25 style and the dpms style. there not interchangeable so make sure your getting compatable parts and did i mention good luck trying to find these components.........
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top