Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2023 1:02:06 PM EDT
On a PSA AR10 mishmash build, found out that when the bolt is returning, its hitting the new round's primer enough to dent it. everything feeds fine and its not enough to set the next round off, just looks like a light strike, but not something I am ok with. Thoughts on what to change out to fix this?
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 1:16:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Normal on any AR without a firing pin spring.
Don't run reloads with unusually soft primers and it's won't be a problem.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 1:43:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This ^^^

Also, do not send the bolt home on a chambered cartridge.  The pin can hit hard enough to make a loud noise.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 1:47:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 2:25:26 PM EDT
[#4]
normal
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 2:43:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Completely normal across basically all ARs without FP springs/safeties.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 5:37:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Huh, interesting. Had never heard of that with AR10s or M1As, good to know, thanks guys
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 10:29:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Yep, normal on the AR based platforms.  The firing pin is free floating, so it'll ding the primer when the BCG slams home.  This is why CCI #41, and now Winchester #41 primers are made (good luck finding any #41's though), they have a harder cup to help prevent slam fires.

With that said, I've been running Federal 205's in my 5.56 and 300 BLK loads with no issues.  I found a table somewhere a while back that lists primers by dimensions and cup hardness.  The 205's are supposed to have one of the harder cups, just not as hard as a 41.  So far so good though...and as mentioned above, don't run the BCG home on an already chambered cartridge.

Link Posted: 5/4/2023 6:35:46 AM EDT
[#8]
This should be on the list of "How to say, 'This is my first AR.' without saying, 'This is my first AR.'"
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 10:19:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 11:53:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Actually, not based on Calhoun's chart, but several tests via different methods compiled over several years from different sources (starting in about 2010 and up).  What I initially read on was a compilation of that data.  Some of it changes over a few year span since companies change hands, for example Federal and CCI being owned by the same company (Vista Outdoor).  Vista announced last year they're splitting the company up too, so not sure what changes that'll entail in the ammo/primer manufacturing.

Either way, as I said, I've been running Federal 205's in my 5.56 and 300 loads and have had no issues.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 12:00:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

and many many miltary semi automatic rifles:

garand
M14
sks
et cetera
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 9:32:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 9:52:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Any single fed round should be mag fed... helps slows the BCG

IE , don't just slip a round into the ejection port, and allow the BCG to slam home.
View Quote

Ever been to Camp Perry? Literally every single shooter there does exactly that when loading slow fire rounds in AR-15 type rifles.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 10:35:00 PM EDT
[#14]
If a round is sensitive enough to slamfire from a full stroke of a freed bolt, it's sensitive enough to slamfire from the mag. Use different ammo, clean/uniform the primer pocket of reloads, or get a Ti firing pin.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:02:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Ever been to Camp Perry? Literally every single shooter there does exactly that when loading slow fire rounds in AR-15 type rifles.
View Quote

That may well be, but after witnessing a buddie plow a path through his rec-room carpet with a 250 from his 450BM that we could have planted a row of corn in......I will defer
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 11:02:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Every semi-auto I own save the .22 LR dimples the primer. It's a non-issue.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 6:07:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
On a PSA AR10 mishmash build, found out that when the bolt is returning, its hitting the new round's primer enough to dent it. everything feeds fine and its not enough to set the next round off, just looks like a light strike, but not something I am ok with. Thoughts on what to change out to fix this?
View Quote

Personally I wouldn't worry about it.  However, if you want to be 100% in preventing slam fire, install a titanium firing pin.  For our match rifles (3 gun crowd), we use Ti firing pin in light weight BCG to prevent slam fire but that doesn't totally eliminate the little primer indentation.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top