Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2021 7:42:59 PM EDT
I’m in the process of planning out a 300blk build and need a little help with the buffer system.

A little background on the build: I’ll be using a 8” or 8.5” BA barrel. Is there preference between them? Here in NJ suppressors are banned so it will be shooting supers 99% of the time, only occasionally shooting subs when I’m out of state. Eventually when I get out of this state, it will be a dedicated suppressor gun.

I’ve really enjoyed the A5 system on my 11.5” 5.56 and would like to use it again here, if it makes sense. What spring/weight combo would be most effective for supers, unsuppressed? For way future reference, what do people use for subs, suppressed?
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 1:59:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Standard spring and H2 is typically a good starting point. A lot will depend on the ammo, but supers are not particularly finicky. Same with suppressed subs. Maybe drop to a carbine buffer if necessary but always try it first. A lot of people fiddle with hardware when no fiddling is necessary.

Unsuppressed Subs are usually the stories you hear about.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 10:10:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I just built a 300 using the 8" BA barrel. It has run flawlessly with 125g supers (1920 fps) and 220g subs (1050 fps), suppressed and unsuppressed with an H buffer and standard spring. It also worked fine with H3 buffer/standard spring and A5H2, but I only tried it suppressed. The barrel seems to be gassed appropriately.

Like Obsessed said, I agree the issues seem to be unsuppressed/subs. This would be likely worse with longer barrels and lighter bullets.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 10:42:15 AM EDT
[#3]
My 8.5" BA barrel runs fine with a standard spring and buffer.  Brass ejects to 2:30-3:00 with supers.  IMO each barrel is an individual, get a standard spring and a couple buffers around the H weight (or the KAK tunable buffer) to find which combo your barrel likes best.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 11:44:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I ran a standard buffer on my original 8.5.    If you have a Law folder, remember, that adds mass as well.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 8:57:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Awesome. Thanks for all the input.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 10:33:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Standard buffer and spring... zero issues.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top