Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2021 2:23:27 PM EDT
Hey all,

I am trying to get Discreet Ballistics Selous rounds to feed in my rifle.

Q barrel assembly
Aero upper
Toolcraft BCG
Lancer 300blk Mags
Aero and Anderson lower

The rounds seem to be getting caught where the upper feed ramps meet the barrel feed ramps. It looks like there is just the slightest bit of misalignment/offset on the right ramp (the only one exhibiting the problem) causing the problem. I don't experience the problem when i push the magazine up. Visually it doesn't appear so much to be a misalignment so much as the upper feed ramps being deeper than the barrel feed ramps.

I polished the feed ramps hoping that would fix the issue, but it didn't.  At this point, I am wondering what my options are to fix this problem. The only thing I can think of is dremelling the barrel feed ramp a bit to reduce the offset or trying a new upper. With parts being scarce and expensive, i'm trying to avoid a new upper (especially since it isn't guaranteed to fix the issue), but i'm also pretty hesitant to take a dremel to my barrel and cause even more problems.

Any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:53:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Try some 20 rounders or a Magpul 300BLK mag? I’m guessing it’s mag related.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:23:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try some 20 rounders or a Magpul 300BLK mag? I’m guessing it’s mag related.
View Quote

I've tried 20 rounder, 30 rounds, and USGI mag. I'm thinking its the upper/barrel because even if the mags are sitting a little low, the round should be able to feed if it first connects with the upper feed ramp - right?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:20:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:16:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Photo would help too the problem with the ramps, hence it barrel is just rotation canted when the barrel nut was begin tightened, or if feed ramps need to be addressed instead.

But since you stated that pushing the mag up does solve the feed problem, check to make sure that the threaded end of the mag catch is flush with the face of the mag release button.

Also, if you are using 223 mags, its going to cause feed problem with the 300blk as well.  The front inner wall ribs on the mag protrude too far in to the mag for the 300 bullet/neck  shoulder section, and causes the 30 cal rounds at the bullet end to cant to center of mag on the feed out, verses staying in line with the barrel ramps on the feed.  With some 223 mags (plastic), you can pull the mags apart to the body and file down the ribs inside to allow the mag to feed the 300blk round correctly, while better to just get 300 mags that the inner front ribs are the correct distance for the wider 30 cal neck isntead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MdT-ogoOU0
View Quote

i'll try to get some good pictures tonight / tomorrow.

Mag catch is good, using 300blk magazines.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:29:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

i'll try to get some good pictures tonight / tomorrow.

Mag catch is good, using 300blk magazines.
View Quote

I’ll get the Honey Badger out tomorrow with some Discreet Ballistics Selous rounds and see if I can replicate anything of value.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 3:14:13 PM EDT
[#6]
For those curious - i was able to confirm that the bullet was getting snagged on the gap / step / overhang between the upper and the lower. I coated the tip of the rounds with a paint pen and observed where the paint transferred to the feed ramps.

I'm thinking of trying another upper (if i can get ahold of another aero slick-side upper) since i accidentally took off some of the anodize when i was polishing the feed ramps. Otherwise i think i'm going to send it to Trajectory Arms to recut the feed ramps a but to match the upper.

Thanks for the suggestions / input!
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 1:06:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I ended up trying another Aero upper. I couldn't get it to work - the round snagged on the other feed ramp, not the junction. I've already polished the ramps pretty well, so I think I'm going to give up on the DB rounds and try to trade for a more traditional HP - maybe the Hornady Subx?
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top