BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/29/2021 9:57:24 AM EDT
I've been reading and reading and reading and at this point I think I'm kind of in information overload.  Currently, I have a 10.5" AR in 5.56 for my dedicated home defense rifle.  After reading a lot of people talk about the diminished ballistics in the 10.5" but more importantly the kind of hearing damage that can occur when firing the 5.56 from a 10.5" barrel inside the confines of a home, I'm kind of rethinking my decision.  I know, I know, I've read all the comments about better to have some hearing loss than be dead.  I'm just thinking is there a better option than 5.56?  Would a 10.5" 300 Blackout maybe be a better choice?  I know there is the suppressor option and I'm not ruling that out for a future purchase.  But with funds being tight, would a 300 Blackout upper be a better choice in the meantime?

And a side note, I remember back when all the forum "experts" said that the 10.5" was the minimum barrel length to be effective when chambered in 5.56.  But now the consensus seems to be that the 10.5" is too short and now the minimum barrel length should be at least 11.5" in 5.56 with 14.5" being preferred.  I think I may still hang on to my 10.5" 5.56 upper, but wondering if there is a better cartridge to use for short rifles in a home defense situation.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:09:39 AM EDT
[#1]
300blk is suited for short barrels so if you are going with supersonic, you'll be more effective than with 556 when running similar length short barrels.

If you want to run supers, you can but frankly a super 300blk and 45ACP, both out of similar length barrels, for home defense distances, are ballistically about the same.  Both will blow your eardrums out indoors unless you are suppressed.  Keep that in mind.

After comparing 300blk and 45ACP, using a PCC in 45ACP maybe better for home defence as you can suppress it very well (as does 300blk) but you have a lot more bullet and power options in 45ACP.  My personal favorite is the CMMG Banshee as I can run regular 45ACP, 45 Super and 450SMC in it.  I get the best of all things.

I have both calibers though so can compare.  I basically use the 45ACP, suppressed, for close stuff and use the 300blk  for the 100-200 yards range, in supersonic, as that's all my local landscape will be offering for shots anyways and its more effective than 556 in that range due to energy and bullet options.

I like suppressed all the time for all things too and suggest that to everyone.

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:26:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you want to run supers, you can but frankly a super 300blk and 45ACP, both out of similar length barrels, for home defense distances, are ballistically about the same.  

View Quote

I take it you meant subs, and not supers. 300blk supers have far better terminal ballistics than .45acp.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:36:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I feel that the consensus is still that 10.5 5.56 is perfectly adequate for < 50yard encounters. I haven't tried one, but I wonder if a linear comp would help indoors at all? Noise is no doubt a problem, but I keep a set of howard leights next to my rifle just in case I have time to put them on.

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:37:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Nothing inadequate about a 10.5” 5.56/223 at home defense ranges. Especially if you shoot expanding bullets like the Gold Dots or Fusions, which you should.

Any short barrel AR needs a suppressor, imo.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:11:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
300blk is suited for short barrels so if you are going with supersonic, you'll be more effective than with 556 when running similar length short barrels.

If you want to run supers, you can but frankly a super 300blk and 45ACP, both out of similar length barrels, for home defense distances, are ballistically about the same.  Both will blow your eardrums out indoors unless you are suppressed.  Keep that in mind.

After comparing 300blk and 45ACP, using a PCC in 45ACP maybe better for home defence as you can suppress it very well (as does 300blk) but you have a lot more bullet and power options in 45ACP.  My personal favorite is the CMMG Banshee as I can run regular 45ACP, 45 Super and 450SMC in it.  I get the best of all things.

I have both calibers though so can compare.  I basically use the 45ACP, suppressed, for close stuff and use the 300blk  for the 100-200 yards range, in supersonic, as that's all my local landscape will be offering for shots anyways and its more effective than 556 in that range due to energy and bullet options.

View Quote
I see it pretty much the opposite - with subsonics it's kinda 6 of one half dozen of the other, maybe, but that's setting aside the difference in sectional density. However, supers are where the 300blk vaults ahead. Do an 8.5" barrel and get something near 2000 fps, far superior velocity to anything you can do with a 45. I do agree that a suppressor is a must though.

OP, you can get a YHM Turbo suppressor w/ stamp or something like that for about the same cost as a brand new low-end 300blk upper, and that's not even factoring in the new ammo ($$$ these days) you'd have to buy to feed the 300.  I have multiple 5.56 guns and a 300blk, and if I were in your shoes. I'd 100% get a suppressor for my 10.5" 5.56 before I bought a new 300blk upper. Also, a suppressed 5.56 will still be orders of magnitude quieter than an unsuppressed 300blk.

All that said, a suppressed 300blk is my bedside gun and I do like the round. Get both?
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:11:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a 300 BO with a suppressor for this purpose, and I'm glad I do.

But before I got all that put together.  Here was my solution:

Attachment Attached File

I bought an extra two pair of electronic muffs , one for me and one for my wife.  I hung them on the wall just above where the weapons are stored.  It takes just a moment to put them on.  And if I have time, I can turn the power on and have enhanced hearing while clearing the house.  I spent less than $90.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:14:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nothing inadequate about a 10.5" 5.56/223 at home defense ranges. Especially if you shoot expanding bullets like the Gold Dots or Fusions, which you should.

Any short barrel AR needs a suppressor, imo.
View Quote
And that's the ticket too - use good ammo. I know I've said it a bunch around here, but I'm a bigly fan of the Fusion/Gold Dot bullet and can attest to effectiveness when used on game.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:14:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I have an 11.5" suppressed BCM and an 8.3" suppressed 300blk.

Both will definitely get the job done, but the 8.3" 300blk loaded with 110g Vmax is what is beside my bed.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:49:49 AM EDT
[#9]
As others said you are better off getting a suppressor than a 300 black given the cost of both and you'd still need to suppressor the 300 anyway.  

I think 10.5 is fine in 556 for 100 yards and in.

Given subsonic 300 black is basically the same as .45 I'd argue a preference for a pistol which puts you in between super 556 or 300 and 300 is better but 556 is great and again both are super loud.

Also it sounds like you are on a budget and unless you cast your own lead subs 556 is cheaper to shoot generally by a lot.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:52:59 AM EDT
[#10]
If you're worried about noise get a can if you can. If not, a blast can like the surefire warden helps some. A 10.5" 556 stomps subsonic 300blk in just about every category. With supers the 300blk beats the 556, but the difference in performance is not huge. 300blk supers are only marginally better than 556, and the best 556 rounds like, 77gr TMK, actually perform better than many 300blk rounds on soft targets. Also, without a can 300blk supers are just as loud as 556 so its a tossup. I'd say stick with what you have, no need to get into 300blk now with ammo availability being what it is. aLike others have said, you can buy a "budget" can for the price of an entry level 300blk upper, so thats what I'd do if you can
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 12:06:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I tend to agree.

I prefer 300blk for HD, but not enough if I were to have to start over in these times.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 2:28:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

That isn't correct.
At HD ranges. 10.5" .300blk >>>>10.5" 5.56, even in supers.

With that said, both will get the job done, and both will be loud as hell indoors.  
.300blk will have less flash/blast/gas and more energy...and "slightly" less noise.  

I dropped my 10.5" 5.56 my (originally 8.5" .300blk) 9" .300blk.    
But I'm pretty sure that my 10.5" 5.56 with 77gr SMK would have worked just fine for HD.  

.300blk ammo prices SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSUCK!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 4:18:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks everyone for taking the time to help.  I guess I've been reading a lot of inaccurate forum posts from various places.  A big majority of people are poo-pooing my 10.5" 556 for home defense.  Certainly I'd prefer to keep what I have rather than buying another upper and the cost of getting it outfitted correctly.  I was not big on the idea of adding another caliber to my collection with the 300blk already.  I was definitely considering the supersonic loadings in the 300blk, particularly the 110gr Vmax.  But if the noise level of a supersonic 300 is about the same as a 556, then it's really a wash for me then.  I'd prefer to just stick to the 556 caliber that I'm already running.  I do reload, but I can still see how the 300blk would cost more to shoot than the 556.

It looks like I need to be researching suppressors a little more then and forget about the 300 maybe?
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 4:28:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I use a 10" 5.56 for home defense.  I keep a suppressor on it and use good ammo.

Look at TSX, Fusion or Gold Dot loads.  75gr T2 and 77gr TMK is also a good option.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:10:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I take it you meant subs, and not supers. 300blk supers have far better terminal ballistics than .45acp.
View Quote

I did, sorry about that.

Thank you for correcting me.

Much good input in this thread from many people.

I still think that 556, in short barrel format, in tight spaces, is not ideal.

There are better options to focus energy on the target and mitigate ear and eye damage to the defenders.

300blk super is good and 45ACP with a barrel longer than a handgun is also good.

Any bullet you use should be able to expand at expected velocities at the range your target will be and minimize travel into other areas where innocents may be.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 8:58:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been keeping Hornady 55gr Vmax ammo loaded up for my home defense 556.  I assumed that was pretty decent to use for home defense on soft targets that would not over penetrate.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:11:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes.

Supers with suppressor and  boutique Lehigh 115 grain.

Fucks shit up like a mofo. Noise is quite tolerable. It will make your ears ring for sure. But nothing like cutting loose a .308 SBR in your bathroom.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:17:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Suppressed 5.56 SBR is good too. But doesn’t provide option of shooting subs if you like the idea of .30 caliber subs.

Lehigh makes an excellent .30 caliber bullet for subs. But you give up the permanent wound cavity with subs.

Realistically, anything inside the 8-ring will put the receiver out of the fight. Even .177 BB if you collapse a lung.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:56:13 AM EDT
[#19]
The ammo type matters more than 10.5" vs 11.5" for self defense.

A silencer matters more than 300 BLK vs. 5.56x45.

300 BLK has a big disadvantage in ammo cost and availability. It is inherently less accurate and has less effective range.

The advantage is under 150y shooting barrier blind ammo, the ability to shoot subs that cycle the action, and the ability to run a barrel under 10.5" with good reliability.

If you don't need those, don't get a 300 BLK upper. It is NOT quiet at 11.5" and under barrels without a can.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:25:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks everyone.  I'm not really interested in shootings subs in any caliber for home defense.  Looks like I'll be changing my research criteria more toward suppressors now.  I appreciate all the good input.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 8:41:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I think they will dead a bad guy just fine.  If in doubt, empty the mag into him.

We Test The Accuracy and Penetrating Power of an AR with a 7" Barrel
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 8:51:18 PM EDT
[#22]
My closet gun is a suppressed 8" 300blk SBR with a mag full of Barnes 110gr supers.
So.... that gets my vote.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 10:15:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Ok, I’m going to offer my “opinion”, and would expect that some may disagree. I have used both a 12.5” 5.56 and a 9” 300 Blk as my home defense guns at one time or another and neither of them now serve this purpose. As far as 5.56 is concerned, I don’t even own anything with a barrel less than 16” anymore. I’m not building clone rifles, I’m not kitted up in a vehicle, and I don’t like giving up the velocity that makes that caliber lethal on two-legged animals. Of course, for home defense I employed a suppressor, but the same problem that makes a short barreled 5.56 so loud (burning a lot of powder outside the barrel) is also a problem when running a suppressor. Anyone who has ever run a short barreled 5.56 with a can has learned how to take a big deep breath of combustion gases and charge on with a teary eyed smile. So I swapped over to the 300 Blk, except that the same thing that makes that bullet “barrier blind” will cause serious over-penetration issues in a residential setting. Granted the 300 Blk was designed to burn all of its powder in a short barrel so even the supersonic loads aren’t anywhere near as loud as a short barreled 5.56, but the over penetration risk made it a no go for me. So where did that leave me in my quest for a home defense gun?  I went back to the basics. There’s nothing that will stop a fight like a 12 gauge shotgun; I’m not quoting Clint Smith, but you get the picture. I’m not preparing for hordes of zombies, so I’m betting that my Remington 870 with seven rounds of #4 buck will take care of any trouble that finds me.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 10:27:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Ok, I’m going to offer my “opinion”, and would expect that some may disagree. I have used both a 12.5” 5.56 and a 9” 300 Blk as my home defense guns at one time or another and neither of them now serve this purpose. As far as 5.56 is concerned, I don’t even own anything with a barrel less than 16” anymore. I’m not building clone rifles, I’m not kitted up in a vehicle, and I don’t like giving up the velocity that makes that caliber lethal on two-legged animals. Of course, for home defense I employed a suppressor, but the same problem that makes a short barreled 5.56 so loud (burning a lot of powder outside the barrel) is also a problem when running a suppressor. Anyone who has ever run a short barreled 5.56 with a can has learned how to take a big deep breath of combustion gases and charge on with a teary eyed smile. So I swapped over to the 300 Blk, except that the same thing that makes that bullet “barrier blind” will cause serious over-penetration issues in a residential setting. Granted the 300 Blk was designed to burn all of its powder in a short barrel so even the supersonic loads aren’t anywhere near as loud as a short barreled 5.56, but the over penetration risk made it a no go for me. So where did that leave me in my quest for a home defense gun?  I went back to the basics. There’s nothing that will stop a fight like a 12 gauge shotgun; I’m not quoting Clint Smith, but you get the picture. I’m not preparing for hordes of zombies, so I’m betting that my Remington 870 with seven rounds of #4 buck will take care of any trouble that finds me.
View Quote

I use 110g Vmax in my 300blk, so as long as I hit my target, over penetration is not a concern.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 10:41:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've been reading and reading and reading and at this point I think I'm kind of in information overload.  Currently, I have a 10.5" AR in 5.56 for my dedicated home defense rifle.  After reading a lot of people talk about the diminished ballistics in the 10.5" but more importantly the kind of hearing damage that can occur when firing the 5.56 from a 10.5" barrel inside the confines of a home, I'm kind of rethinking my decision.  I know, I know, I've read all the comments about better to have some hearing loss than be dead.  I'm just thinking is there a better option than 5.56?  Would a 10.5" 300 Blackout maybe be a better choice?  I know there is the suppressor option and I'm not ruling that out for a future purchase.  But with funds being tight, would a 300 Blackout upper be a better choice in the meantime?

And a side note, I remember back when all the forum "experts" said that the 10.5" was the minimum barrel length to be effective when chambered in 5.56.  But now the consensus seems to be that the 10.5" is too short and now the minimum barrel length should be at least 11.5" in 5.56 with 14.5" being preferred.  I think I may still hang on to my 10.5" 5.56 upper, but wondering if there is a better cartridge to use for short rifles in a home defense situation.
View Quote

Some data that may help you decide
The Best 300BLK Barrel Length & All Things 300 Blackout Answered
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 10:56:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Since I can't have a can in Illinois, I quickly learned that my unsuppressed 10.5" 5.56 wasn't going to cut it.  My first trip to an indoor range cured me of that foolishness.
With that said, I do agree to an extent in terms of dumping velocity on a caliber that is dependent upon velocity.  I dumped my 10.5" 5.56.....and I recently mothballed my 12.5" 5.56 (which wasn't bad...it was just down to a 12.5" or a 16" in 5.56.  They were going to be set up the exact same way).   For anything up close (HD/SD/PDW range), .300blk was the way to go .

Quoted:

I use 110g Vmax in my 300blk, so as long as I hit my target, over penetration is not a concern.

^This is the way.
.300blk varmint rounds for HD.  
I use 110gr Vmax as well.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 10:15:42 AM EDT
[#27]
My main home defense weapon is a 10.5" 300 BO pistol with a 7" ThunderBeast suppressor shooting THESE- bullets that are designed to expand at subsonic velocities. I handload these bullets to subsonic velocities resulting in 'mouse fart' noise with the knowledge that it'll get the job done if needed and minimal worry about overpenetration. They also offer a 'fracturing' version of the same bullet that is even safer from overpenetration.

This same company offers these bullets already loaded as subsonic ammo for those that don't roll their own.

Something to consider.................................

Bird
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 8:05:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have a 300 BO with a suppressor for this purpose, and I'm glad I do.

But before I got all that put together.  Here was my solution:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/451119/th_jpeg-1923304.JPG

I bought an extra two pair of electronic muffs , one for me and one for my wife.  I hung them on the wall just above where the weapons are stored.  It takes just a moment to put them on.  And if I have time, I can turn the power on and have enhanced hearing while clearing the house.  I spent less than $90.
View Quote

I do this same thing with the same muffs
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have an 11.5" suppressed BCM and an 8.3" suppressed 300blk.

Both will definitely get the job done, but the 8.3" 300blk loaded with 110g Vmax is what is beside my bed.
View Quote

Exactly what I built for my wife w/ suppressor on it.  It's what is next to the bed for her when I'm out of town.

her mag is loaded with two Lehigh 190 gr subs and then 110 gr Vmax.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 8:35:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The ammo type matters more than 10.5" vs 11.5" for self defense.

A silencer matters more than 300 BLK vs. 5.56x45.

300 BLK has a big disadvantage in ammo cost and availability. It is inherently less accurate and has less effective range.

The advantage is under 150y shooting barrier blind ammo, the ability to shoot subs that cycle the action, and the ability to run a barrel under 10.5" with good reliability.

If you don't need those, don't get a 300 BLK upper. It is NOT quiet at 11.5" and under barrels without a can.
View Quote

I honestly don't recall ever using up all my HD ammo, because I rarely have to unleash any inside my home.

SBR or Pistol w/ 300 subs in 8-10.5 will be just fine for HD, might put on a linear comp + blast can to help keep some db's off the ears, but as mentioned already, it will all be loud because as we all know, sound bounces off walls and stuff like a 10c superball. True dedicated HD, then 300sub w/ suppressor on 8" will be as good as it gets, + less copper coated lead being found in homes a block away.

That said, not sure what the draw is to use AR15 in the home, I have various pistols for that task. To each their own I guess.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 8:47:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That said, not sure what the draw is to use AR15 in the home, I have various pistols for that task. To each their own I guess.
View Quote

The draw, for me, is it is a much better stopper than any pistol and can defeat soft armor where most pistol rounds cant.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 8:17:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The draw, for me, is it is a much better stopper than any pistol and can defeat soft armor where most pistol rounds cant.
View Quote

A flash-bang grenade will also stop 99% of thugs in the home. Blind and deaf until the PD show up.

Are scum thugs wearing soft armor when breaking into homes? I guess some are, but what's the stats on that?
I've done home/bldg clearing exercises may times, and I always find pistol much easier to maneuver and use (more concealment, faster target acquisition, faster on-target shot).
One has to strike a balance between usability and stopping power, and for me I find pistol is the better option for inside the home.
For some, obtaining pistol may be difficult, in those cases I often recommend semi-auto 12 or 20ga shotgun w/ bird shot.

Certainly it's a personal choice.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 8:50:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I often recommend semi-auto 12 or 20ga shotgun w/ bird shot.
View Quote

Now you've done it....
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 7:04:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Now you've done it....
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/laugh-29.gif
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 5:28:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

A flash-bang grenade will also stop 99% of thugs in the home. Blind and deaf until the PD show up.

Are scum thugs wearing soft armor when breaking into homes? I guess some are, but what's the stats on that?
I've done home/bldg clearing exercises may times, and I always find pistol much easier to maneuver and use (more concealment, faster target acquisition, faster on-target shot).
One has to strike a balance between usability and stopping power, and for me I find pistol is the better option for inside the home.
For some, obtaining pistol may be difficult, in those cases I often recommend semi-auto 12 or 20ga shotgun w/ bird shot.

Certainly it's a personal choice.
View Quote

I don't think anyone is deploying flash bangs in their own house....you might need the fire department more than the police.
I do think modern pistols with good ammo will work fine for HD.  A full size handgun with good ammo, a light/laser and an MRD is a hell of a lot better than a sharp stick and angry words.  

But I don't think a handgun beats the security and accuracy of 3 touchpoints plus a sling....along with the additional firepower and range (if you hear something outside....like someone possibly breaking into your shed).   I do agree that it is a personal choice.   It probably depends on the situation and what weapon is closer for me (EDC or .300blk).
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 9:22:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Just be honest with yourself about who is more likely to be forcing their way into your home. According to the new administration, we have a tremendous population of "Domestic Terrorists". Current and former LE and military were explicitly referenced.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 8:14:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Just be honest with yourself about who is more likely to be forcing their way into your home. According to the new administration, we have a tremendous population of "Domestic Terrorists". Current and former LE and military were explicitly referenced.
View Quote

Yep. And with this new stat it's more evidence we all need to build build build and buy buy buy more. Gotta be prepared for these "domestic terrorists" who are not only "criminals" but also "highly skilled" too.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 8:19:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I don't think anyone is deploying flash bangs in their own house....you might need the fire department more than the police.
I do think modern pistols with good ammo will work fine for HD.  A full size handgun with good ammo, a light/laser and an MRD is a hell of a lot better than a sharp stick and angry words.  

But I don't think a handgun beats the security and accuracy of 3 touchpoints plus a sling....along with the additional firepower and range (if you hear something outside....like someone possibly breaking into your shed).   I do agree that it is a personal choice.   It probably depends on the situation and what weapon is closer for me (EDC or .300blk).
View Quote

So when LE uses flash bangs you are saying they are risking burning down the whole structure, possibly killing innocent others along the way? Geez, perhaps that item should be banned from use by LE? LE won't even use water cannon to control BLM, something is very wrong with LE strategy and tactics these days. But hey, now that LE are on the edge of only being able to carry a taser, not really sure what's the purpose of LE these days. NYC subways have massive amounts of serious crimes going on now, pushing onto tracks, beatings, slashings, etc. NYPD are in each case no where to be found. The good folks in NYC need to start carrying per COTUS 2A, and popping thugs the Goetz way.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 9:16:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The good folks in NYC need to start carrying per COTUS 2A, and popping thugs the Goetz way.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 2:46:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Page 13 and 14
https://www.triarcsystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/BallisticData_Consumer.pdf
Vmax 110gr and Sig 125gr velocities out of 8.3" and 10.3" barrel.

Link Posted: 5/18/2021 7:40:42 AM EDT
[#41]
I thought another point to consider was feed reliability? Always read a 300 blackout in short barrel feeds more dependably than the 5.56? Can anyone chime in here? Very interested in this thread.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 8:26:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I thought another point to consider was feed reliability? Always read a 300 blackout in short barrel feeds more dependably than the 5.56? Can anyone chime in here? Very interested in this thread.
View Quote

I wouldn't say that.
I will say that fat subs feed much better out of 300blk specific mags due to the smaller side ribs.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 2:41:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
300blk is suited for short barrels
View Quote

This is a myth btw. The longer the barrel, the more velocity, the more energy the round carries.
Applies to 308, 5.56, and even 300AAC Blackout. A shooter can get MUCH better ballistic properties (Velocity/Energy) shooting 300 from a 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 7:19:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
This is a myth btw. The longer the barrel, the more velocity, the more energy the round carries.
Applies to 308, 5.56, and even 300AAC Blackout. A shooter can get MUCH better ballistic properties (Velocity/Energy) shooting 300 from a 16" barrel.
View Quote

You're missing the point, nobody is arguing that longer barrels don't give better ballistics.

Not everyone wants to swing a full size rifle through the door, especially if using a can.

300blk just gives much more energy out of shorter barrels than 5.56.
300blk (110gr supers) give roughly the same energy from a 10" barrel that M193 gets out of a 16" barrel.
So yes, it is MORE suited to short barrels than 5.56.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 4:39:03 PM EDT
[#45]
The pervasive incorrect talking point is that 300AAC is designed for and best utilized with short barrels.

The person I replied to wasn't comparing 300AAC to 556, he was repeating the above and added it's better than 556 from short barrels.

That's not the same thing and it's half correct, half incorrect. First, 300AAC is best suited in longer barrels, and second, 300AAC will of course deliver more energy on impact than 556 as long as it keeps it's velocity. It's over twice the mass... this should be obvious.

While its definitely true that 300AAC knocks the pants off 556 inside 300 meters, that effectiveness advantage is NOT due to barrel length and it's NOT true that 300AAC is suited for shorter barrels .
Just trying to keep the info correct here for ole OP in case he wants to deliver the most ft/lbs of energy he can while using 300AAC while also protecting him from the false notion that AlL tHe PoWdEr Is BuRnT aFtEr NiNe InChEs.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 5:19:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The pervasive incorrect talking point is that 300AAC is designed for and best utilized with short barrels.

The person I replied to wasn't comparing 300AAC to 556, he was repeating the above and added it's better than 556 from short barrels.

That's not the same thing and it's half correct, half incorrect. First, 300AAC is best suited in longer barrels, and second, 300AAC will of course deliver more energy on impact than 556 as long as it keeps it's velocity. It's over twice the mass... this should be obvious.

While its definitely true that 300AAC knocks the pants off 556 inside 300 meters, that effectiveness advantage is NOT due to barrel length and it's NOT true that 300AAC is suited for shorter barrels .
Just trying to keep the info correct here for ole OP in case he wants to deliver the most ft/lbs of energy he can while using 300AAC while also protecting him from the false notion that AlL tHe PoWdEr Is BuRnT aFtEr NiNe InChEs.
View Quote

Good grief. Everyone here knew what he meant.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 10:43:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Now you've done it....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now you've done it....

OMG No
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 9:06:17 PM EDT
[#48]
If I were in your situation I would keep the 10.5 5.56 and get a can before getting into .300 BLK. I would also suggest you get a 30 cal. can. It will work fine on 5.56 and if you get a 300 BLK
in the future you'll already have the can for it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 11:31:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Now you've done it....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now you've done it....

Biden approves this message
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 3:00:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone for taking the time to help.  I guess I've been reading a lot of inaccurate forum posts from various places.  A big majority of people are poo-pooing my 10.5" 556 for home defense.  Certainly I'd prefer to keep what I have rather than buying another upper and the cost of getting it outfitted correctly.  I was not big on the idea of adding another caliber to my collection with the 300blk already.  I was definitely considering the supersonic loadings in the 300blk, particularly the 110gr Vmax.  But if the noise level of a supersonic 300 is about the same as a 556, then it's really a wash for me then.  I'd prefer to just stick to the 556 caliber that I'm already running.  I do reload, but I can still see how the 300blk would cost more to shoot than the 556.

It looks like I need to be researching suppressors a little more then and forget about the 300 maybe?
View Quote

Just keep in mind the cost of actually using your rifle with a can and then potentially not getting it back.   Expensive, but you also can't un-blast your ears, so...

A lot of people arguing gun stuff on the internet are like kids in the 80's arguing over whether their dad could beat up Hulk Hogan.  They're kind of full of it.  

I would personally pick a 11.5" over 10.anything in 5.56, but I wouldn't get rid of something I already had; it's not worth the cost of ammo to rezero.  Your AR will get the job done.

If you have to consider the cost of ammo at all, then .300 is still too expensive to shoot regularly.   This would have not been the case if the riot/pandemic/election panics had not happened and .300 steel case had finally hit the market at low prices.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top