Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2020 7:21:14 PM EDT
Hello, I am new to the AR platform. I am in the market for a home defense AR. The question I am still wrestling with is whether to go with a 300 BO or 556 caliber. I do not anticipate owning multiple ARs, however, I have heard once you get an AR, it starts to multiply.

I understand that 300 BO is more expensive and have more stopping power whereas 556 is cheaper and more common. 556 would give me more range time due to the lower cost of ammo. I imagine I am missing some other points, but if you were to have one AR, which caliber would you prefer to have it in?

Thank you in advance for your input.
SuperSecretName
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 7:33:11 PM EDT
[#1]
start with 5.56.

skip 300 unless you want to play with suppressors.

i think i shoot my 300s more than my 5.56s. (only have 3 5.56s but 4 300blks. )
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 7:33:42 PM EDT
[#2]
5.56 all the way for you.

For one, actually shooting it more and training is of vasty  greater benefit to you than any marginal projectile size difference.

Search YouTube for Thechoppingblock and ar15.com for all the gel  testing and form your own conclusions.

300 blackout is great option for certain applications not just with a suppressor. Such as it's viability in a very short barrel.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 7:43:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Go 5.56mm for starting out. The 300blk really shines in a SBR with a suppressor for stealthy night hunting. Of course you'll also want to get into night vision as well... Gets expensive pretty quick, haha
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:21:48 PM EDT
[#4]
A 55 grain bullet traveling 3000 feet per second has 1099 ft lbs of energy.  (223 AR15)
A 110 grain bullet traveling 2250 feet per second has 1236 ft lbs of energy. (300 blk AR15)
If I were you I would start with a 223 AR because of bullet cost, get used to it, then just get a 300 blackout upper that
you can switch out when you want to shoot bigger rounds.
Just be careful to not get them mixed up so you don't have a kaboom situation!
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:36:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for your inputs. Sounds like I should start out with a 556/223 caliber so I can shoot more and do more training. I intend to go with a CQB pistol format as it would be for HD. Any input on that? Any reason I should bite the bullet and pay for a stamp for the rights to shoulder a SBR?...Pay for the rights to shoulder a SBR... :'(
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:39:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go 5.56mm for starting out. The 300blk really shines in a SBR with a suppressor for stealthy night hunting. Of course you'll also want to get into night vision as well... Gets expensive pretty quick, haha
View Quote

Night vision... haha... one step at a time. I still need to save up for suppressor down the road.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:35:26 PM EDT
[#7]
For pure home defense duty I'd strongly consider building up a 9mm pistol or carbine.

As to 556 or 300, 300 if you are gonna go suppressed.  No advantage otherwise.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:38:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd start with 5.56 unless you know for sure you want to get a suppressor for it.  Just make sure you get one chambered in either 5.56 or 223Wylde, that way you can safely shoot 223 or 5.56 out of it.  Most AR's now days are 5.56 not that many new ones are made chambered in regular 223 Rem.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:42:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thank you for your inputs. Sounds like I should start out with a 556/223 caliber so I can shoot more and do more training. I intend to go with a CQB pistol format as it would be for HD. Any input on that? Any reason I should bite the bullet and pay for a stamp for the rights to shoulder a SBR?...Pay for the rights to shoulder a SBR... :'(
View Quote

Go pistol.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:44:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Start with 5.56 and shoot it for a while.  Get used
to the AR platform.  Then see what you might want
to do in the future.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:59:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'd start with 5.56 unless you know for sure you want to get a suppressor for it.  Just make sure you get one chambered in either 5.56 or 223Wylde, that way you can safely shoot 223 or 5.56 out of it.  Most AR's now days are 5.56 not that many new ones are made chambered in regular 223 Rem.
View Quote

Thanks for the reminder on getting one chambered in 556 so I can safely shoot 223 or 556 out of it.

I fully intend to get a suppressor in a year or so. I just need to do more reading on gun trusts and stuff. Since I intend to get a suppressor within a year or so, should I still go with 556? Just an FYI, my father in law and friends have ARs in 556 that I can go shoot with. None of them have it in 300 BO caliber. I must say, besides the cost of ammo, 300 BO with a suppressor sounds lovely to the ears.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:02:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can shoulder a pistol brace.

https://www.sigsauer.com/press-releases/atf-clarifies-ruling-pistol-stabilizing-braces/

https://www.sigsauer.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/atf-letter-march-21-2017.pdf

https://shockwavetechnologies.com/atf-says-that-shouldering-shockwave-blade-is-okay/

https://www.80percentarms.com/blog/can-you-shoulder-an-ar-pistol-brace/

https://www.80lowerjig.com/blogs/80-lower-blog/can-you-shoulder-an-ar15-pistol-brace-in-2020/
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:07:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:10:37 AM EDT
[#14]
i'd get an 11.5" ar pistol in 5.56 with an sba3 brace. you can buy a 300blk upper in the future and use the same lower.

if you decide to SBR it in the future, you can also swap uppers. i like to have multiple SBR'd lowers so i dont have to worry about barrel length, stock, or VFG on any upper i want to run.

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 6:29:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Probably depends on what barrel length you are starting out with.

If I were to only own ONE AR, it would probably be a 16", mid-length 5.56 as a "do it all" weapon.  I don't touch my 10.5" 5.56 ever(too loud, too blasty).  My 12.5" is really a host for my .22LR conversion kit.  My 16" middy just sits in the safe as an EOTW weapon.  I don't even shoot 5.56 anymore.  It is 22LR or .300blk.

Now, IMO, the BEST all around home defense weapon is .300blk using Vmax rounds.  I keep Vmax and Tac-tx because .300blk is a more useful caliber for an individual person.  

The #1 problem with .300blk is the cost of ammo.  Even with Wolf steel case here, it is still somewhat expensive.  5.56 works better out of longer barrels, and ammo is a lot cheaper.  What I do like about 5.56 is the ability to shoot 22LR with a conversion kit.

Top is the 8.3" BA Hanson, bottom is 9" BA Performance.

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 5:51:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Probably depends on what barrel length you are starting out with.

If I were to only own ONE AR, it would probably be a 16", mid-length 5.56 as a "do it all" weapon.  I don't touch my 10.5" 5.56 ever(too loud, too blasty).  My 12.5" is really a host for my .22LR conversion kit.  My 16" middy just sits in the safe as an EOTW weapon.  I don't even shoot 5.56 anymore.  It is 22LR or .300blk.

Now, IMO, the BEST all around home defense weapon is .300blk using Vmax rounds.  I keep Vmax and Tac-tx because .300blk is a more useful caliber for an individual person.  

The #1 problem with .300blk is the cost of ammo.  Even with Wolf steel case here, it is still somewhat expensive.  5.56 works better out of longer barrels, and ammo is a lot cheaper.  What I do like about 5.56 is the ability to shoot 22LR with a conversion kit.

Top is the 8.3" BA Hanson, bottom is 9" BA Performance.
https://i.imgur.com/4Bxy7OX.jpg

View Quote

Sounds like the solution is to get multiple ARs.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:29:06 PM EDT
[#17]
7.62x39 if you need another caliber
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:59:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes.....both.

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:02:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Sounds like the solution is to get multiple ARs.
View Quote

You'll quickly find that here, that's the solution to most every problem.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 1:06:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You'll quickly find that here, that's the solution to most every problem.
View Quote

So true. Unfortunately, I have to work within a budget. I am definitely leaning towards just getting a 556 so I can shoot more often. I would love to have a 300 BO with a suppressor, but that is a luxury that I think I will need to wait on.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 3:19:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So true. Unfortunately, I have to work within a budget. I am definitely leaning towards just getting a 556 so I can shoot more often. I would love to have a 300 BO with a suppressor, but that is a luxury that I think I will need to wait on.
View Quote

A budget?
Pfffft....

This is Arfcom.
Don't you know that the average annual salary around here is north of a million?

Next you are going to tell us that your wife isn't even a super model.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 8:32:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

A budget?
Pfffft....

This is Arfcom.
Don't you know that the average annual salary around here is north of a million?

Next you are going to tell us that your wife isn't even a super model.  
View Quote

Of course I got a super model wife. It is just that the upkeep on her is expensive.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 8:36:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Of course I got a super model wife. It is just that the upkeep on her is expensive.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 8:01:18 PM EDT
[#24]
If I had to choose one caliber, I’d pick .300bo, probably my pistol.
Mainly for the same reason it was invented, suppresses well, lower pressure round has less concussion, good choice of factory loads. I just shoot way more .300bo these days, mostly from my ARs but also from my Mini-14 and Ranch bolt action. 90% of my shooting is out to 100 yds, and beyond that, it’s 6.5 Grendel.

You’ll certainly have more choices in 5.56, and it’s an effective round.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 8:08:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Only picking 1 I’d recommend 556 only because ammo cost to shoot and train with.  And I’d say grab a good 16” or 14.5” middy (with pinned muzzle device), a good weapon mounted light then a red dot or optic of choice.

Without the ‘only 1 limitation’ then a 300 BLK suppressed SBR without a doubt.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 12:54:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Mainly for the same reason it was invented, suppresses well, lower pressure round has less concussion, good choice of factory loads. I just shoot way more .300bo these days, mostly from my ARs but also from my Mini-14 and Ranch bolt action. 90% of my shooting is out to 100 yds, and beyond that, it’s 6.5 Grendel.

View Quote

Wanderson, do you reload your own ammo to be able to shoot quite a bit? If not, how much does it cost on average per round for 300 BO? I see it range from $0.50 - $3 per round as a range
Thank you for your input.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 8:57:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Factory loads. Mostly Magtec and S&B, about 50 cents a round.
I also have a few cases of Australian Defense 125 gr. Sierra matchking I stocked up when Global ran one of their BOGO sales for .40 cents a round and that’s VERY good ammo.

Link Posted: 6/6/2020 1:03:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Factory loads. Mostly Magtec and S&B, about 50 cents a round.
I also have a few cases of Australian Defense 125 gr. Sierra matchking I stocked up when Global ran one of their BOGO sales for .40 cents a round and that’s VERY good ammo.

View Quote

Thanks Wanderson. That was helpful for me to have an idea of what to expect with 300 BO.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 1:43:03 PM EDT
[#29]
SGAmmo sometimes has Hornady Black 300BLK 110 gr vmax for about .50cpr.  Excellent anti personnel round priced as low as other 300 BLK practice ammo, so you can shoot what you shoot.  

300 BLK exceeds in 2 applications, not just one.  Everyone recognizes the suppressed SBR application. The other place it shines is ultra short barrels.  300 BLK performs well in 8" barrels.  5.56 really drops off under 11.5.  10.3 are popular, but lose a lot of effective range and you have to be selective about ammo.  Under 10 gets worse quick.  

I suggest starting off with an 11.5" 5.56 on a braced pistol lower.  Later on get a 8" 300 BLK uopper.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
SGAmmo sometimes has Hornady Black 300BLK 110 gr vmax for about .50cpr.  Excellent anti personnel round priced as low as other 300 BLK practice ammo, so you can shoot what you shoot.  

300 BLK exceeds in 2 applications, not just one.  Everyone recognizes the suppressed SBR application. The other place it shines is ultra short barrels.  300 BLK performs well in 8" barrels.  5.56 really drops off under 11.5.  10.3 are popular, but lose a lot of effective range and you have to be selective about ammo.  Under 10 gets worse quick.  

I suggest starting off with an 11.5" 5.56 on a braced pistol lower.  Later on get a 8" 300 BLK uopper.

Yeah, I've almost given up on trying to explain the multiple applications that .300blk excels.  Just look through this thread...how many times is it posted ".300blk is only good if you have a suppressor"....which is incorrect.

.300blk excels out of short barrels, both suppressed and unsuppressed, with either supers or subs.   If you can't have a suppressor, and you want a super short barreled weapon, .300blk is the BETTER caliber.   My 8.5" .300blk was better at nearly everything compared to my 10.5" 5.56.  Less flash, less blast, less gas, less violent action, bigger bullet and better terminal ballistics....while being two inches shorter.     It really comes down to bullet design and usage....which is why I'll take my 9" 300blk with Tac-tx or Vmax over 11.5" 5.56 with just about any commercial 5.56 ammo available for HD/SD usage.

Speaking of bullets, it is a shame about the ammo price jump.  Hornady Black 110gr Vmax is available at a reduced price when purchased in 200 round ammo cans.  I ordered from SGAmmo on March 3rd, right before WuFlu really hit.  The price of an ammo can was $109.50 plus shipping ($12 for one can, or $14 for two cans).  
I looked at an old order from January of 2019.  I got a can of Vmax for $129.99 with free shipping from Targetsportusa since it was considered bulk....and that was without a prime membership.   Now, it is all about 30% higher...if it is even in stock.

Link Posted: 6/7/2020 1:02:08 PM EDT
[#31]
The only reason to go with .300 BO is if you plan on running a supressor with subs imo. That's what I use mine for.

If you only plan on running supers you may as well get a 7.62x39 upper. Same ballistics but way cheaper ammo.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 2:08:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
start with 5.56.

skip 300 unless you want to play with suppressors.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 9:32:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The only reason to go with .300 BO is if you plan on running a supressor with subs imo. That's what I use mine for.

If you only plan on running supers you may as well get a 7.62x39 upper. Same ballistics but way cheaper ammo.
View Quote

Saying it is "only good if running suppressed subs" is like buying a Jeep Wrangler that stays on pavement, taking the top and doors off, and saying Wrangler's are "only" good as a 4 door convertibles...because that is how I use mine.  If you want to go off-road, might as well get a side-by-side...it is way cheaper.  

The ballistics might be similar, but the flash and blast isn't, nor is the reliability.  I would not recommend someone's first AR, which would be used for HD, to be an AR chambered in 7.62x39. Broken bolt/extractors, feed/mag issues would make me worried as an HD weapon.

In short barrels, 7.62x39 (and 5.56) will have more blast than 7.62x35.  Case capacity (and bore to case capacity ratio) is what it is....which is why I don't understand this line of thought where .300blk is "only" good with a suppressor, when it actually the least "blastiest" (out of short barrels) without one.

---------------------------
I live in Illinois.  We cannot have suppressors.   I picked .300blk as my HD weapon specifically because of its short barrel mannerisms unsuppressed.  

Can someone tell me the technical reason as to why .300blk is supposed to be only good with a can as opposed to excelling in short barrels period?

Link Posted: 6/9/2020 10:27:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Get one set up and later add a different caliber upper. I have a .300 bo and shooting subs it’s so fun to shoot. Low recoil and it’s just more fun to shoot than the .223 to me there’s nothing louder than a .223. The .300 subs can be shot at almost any target on the range hitting targets like a pistol round. You better shoot steel around 100 yds with .223 but I shoot steel from any distance with the subs. It’s just fun. I would love a suppressor but I spend my money on ammo.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 9:00:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Lots of useful information. Thank you again for all the input. I am bummed out that I am just taking an interests in ARs and there is a run on firearms and ammo. If 300 BO are not twice the cost of 556, it would be an easy decision.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm a huge fan of .300blk....but I will be the first to admit that it is not a "blasting" caliber.   It is very "purpose driven".

If you are going to shoot a lot of dirt piles, or punch a lot of paper....it is the wrong choice.  .22LR, 5.56, 7.62, and 9mm are way, way, way cheaper.
If you are looking to shoot long distance...forget about it.  

But depending on your specific use, it "could" be an amazing caliber.  It really depends on what you are looking for.   It's niche is it's mix of function, power, and flexibility out of really short barrels......but it comes at a relative high dollar amount per trigger pull.

Link Posted: 6/30/2020 8:41:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Hello, I am new to the AR platform. I am in the market for a home defense AR. The question I am still wrestling with is whether to go with a 300 BO or 556 caliber. I do not anticipate owning multiple ARs, however, I have heard once you get an AR, it starts to multiply.

I understand that 300 BO is more expensive and have more stopping power whereas 556 is cheaper and more common. 556 would give me more range time due to the lower cost of ammo. I imagine I am missing some other points, but if you were to have one AR, which caliber would you prefer to have it in?
SuperSecretName
View Quote

The 556 is seen everywhere. Ammunition for never be hard to come by, somebody will always have it. The 300 Blackout on the other hand, is a niche cartridge. It's best used under 100 yards.  It goes well with suppressors, if you want to get into that game. It is the west's version of the 9x39.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 9:42:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Thank you in advance for your input.
SuperSecretName
View Quote

If you could only have 1 AR, then I would get a 16" barrel 5.56. make sure that you get one with a brace bit a stock though this will keep your options open in terms of swapping in shorter barrels in the future

I would recommend you buy a short 7.7 to 9 inch barrel 300 BLK upper receiver that you can swap back and forth with on your lower. Won't cost as much as a second rifle, and let's you get the boat of jotu world's. Buy a little 300 blackout for home defense, but practice at the range using mostly the 5.56 to keep cost down
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 11:00:58 PM EDT
[#39]
I do not recommend 300 BLK to people unless they reload.  Otherwise it is very costly.  As stated, it shines out of a short barrel and a suppressor.  Also, some people like 300 BLK for hunting because some states have regulations against using 5.56 for deer, but 300 BLK is approved.  

5.56 is definitely for your first AR, it will allow you to shoot more for your money and familiarize yourself with your rifle.
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 4:29:00 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm a 300 BLK fan, for several reasons.  I built one mostly for a fun project, but it turned out to be more accurate than I expected, and very handy for some of the hunting I do in woody areas.    I reload, and I had primers, powder (it uses magnum pistol powders) and some .30 cal bullets on hand already, and I formed and trimmed cases from .223 brass. That's either a lot of trouble, or fun and satisfying, depending on how your brain is wired.  If you reload, the cost difference is mainly the bullets themselves.  The 300 BLK uses about 1/3 less powder.   If somebody made cheap .30 cal 125 gr. FMJ bullets for practice, I'd probably shoot it almost exclusively.  

The .223 is cheaper to shoot, especially if you shoot a lot.  and until the recent run on ammo, you could get cheap ammo for not much more than it costs to reload it.

for close in - in your house out to 150 yds. - the 300 BLK is ballistically equal or superior to the .223, and it does it with MUCH less noise and muzzle blast.   It hurts to even think about what would happen to your ears firing a .223 indoors without hearing protection.

Buy a stripped lower and parts and kit and build it, then watch for a .223 upper on sale at Midway.   Then buy a 300 upper on sale.  Then build another lower....
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 9:13:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 12:12:40 AM EDT
[#42]
I am in the same situation you are and have done some of this research on this topic. I started by building a pistol lower that was nice for me with an aero M4E1 receiver, BCM parts, and a SB3 brace. Building it was fun and saved me some money. Then I went out and bought a complete upper in 5.56/.223. I focused on 11.5 or 12.5 for my home defense scenario based on a lot of articles and videos I read; anything shorter probably is not what you want in the house for 5.56.  I just picked up two types of ammo. I keep some specific ammo that is good for home defense and then bulk plinking/range ammo for training.

Later on down the line I might look for a 300 blackout upper if I decide to purchase a suppressor. But I won't get the upper until the can gets out of jail which takes months. It's not like I will have to swap in the moment. I can decide what suits me best for HD and connect that to the lower. Then it just takes a minute to swap to the other upper. If you decide down the road that 300 is good for everything and you are good with the ammo cost,  you can always find a buyer for a good 5.56/.223 upper if you take good care of it to offset the cost.

Reasons to go 300:
- you plan to go suppressed
- you want to go hunting

Reasons to go 5.56
- less expensive ammo allows you to use that saved money for what is truly important ... PROPER TRAINING
- slightly lighter recoil
- ammo more common and easier to get
- less firepower than 300 but still enough to get the job done. Less likely to go through walls as 300 depending on ammo

Link Posted: 7/12/2020 10:25:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I am in the same situation you are and have done some of this research on this topic. I started by building a pistol lower that was nice for me with an aero M4E1 receiver, BCM parts, and a SB3 brace. Building it was fun and saved me some money. Then I went out and bought a complete upper in 5.56/.223. I focused on 11.5 or 12.5 for my home defense scenario based on a lot of articles and videos I read; anything shorter probably is not what you want in the house for 5.56.  I just picked up two types of ammo. I keep some specific ammo that is good for home defense and then bulk plinking/range ammo for training.

Later on down the line I might look for a 300 blackout upper if I decide to purchase a suppressor. But I won't get the upper until the can gets out of jail which takes months. It's not like I will have to swap in the moment. I can decide what suits me best for HD and connect that to the lower. Then it just takes a minute to swap to the other upper. If you decide down the road that 300 is good for everything and you are good with the ammo cost,  you can always find a buyer for a good 5.56/.223 upper if you take good care of it to offset the cost.

Reasons to go 300:
- you plan to go suppressed
- you want to go hunting

Reasons to go 5.56
- less expensive ammo allows you to use that saved money for what is truly important ... PROPER TRAINING
- slightly lighter recoil
- ammo more common and easier to get
- less firepower than 300 but still enough to get the job done. Less likely to go through walls as 300 depending on ammo

View Quote

What length 5.56 did you end up going with?  11.5" or 12.5"?

I started out with 16" 5.56, and didn't get into .300blk for either of the reasons you listed.   I wanted something shorter for HD, so went to 10.5" 5.56.  Hated the 10.5".   Jumped to 8.5" .300blk, along with grabbing a 12.5" 5.56 barrel.  For me, the key reason was that .300blk had the best mix of firepower, terminal ballistics, and short barrel manners.   Everything else (subs, suppression, hunting, reloading) was just icing on the cake....some I can't, or don't do anyway.  

My favorites (so far) are a 9" .300blk and a 16" middy 5.56.  (I also have/had 8.3" and 9" 300blk, different profile 16" and 20" 5.56, some I have not even shot yet).

The thread is .300blk "OR" 5.56.  But for me, it is no longer an "or" question.  It would be like asking "6.5G or 5.56?"...depends on what you want to do.

Short barrel stuff? .300blk hands down, it isn't even close.
My 16" middy has a different role because 5.56 is inexpensive, easy to shoot, versatile, and proven.  It is ubiquitous.   It also functions better out of longer barrels.  I'mg going to play to its strength and use it as such.

Link Posted: 7/13/2020 2:57:22 PM EDT
[#44]
I went with the 11.5" Aero Precision Upper in 5.56 with the Atlas handguard. I also have a Witt Machine SME on the way and can't wait to try that on it after seeing Jerry Miculek's video and another on YT that actually measured the decibels. Overall, I have an 11.5 and have shot my buddy's 12.5 and think they are both great for 5.56. I do like the 14.5 or 16" as well but wanted to go shorter for HD application on this one.

Witt Machine SME

Jerry's Quick Video

YT Video w/ Decibel Stats
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

What length 5.56 did you end up going with?  11.5" or 12.5"?

I started out with 16" 5.56, and didn't get into .300blk for either of the reasons you listed.   I wanted something shorter for HD, so went to 10.5" 5.56.  Hated the 10.5".   Jumped to 8.5" .300blk, along with grabbing a 12.5" 5.56 barrel.  For me, the key reason was that .300blk had the best mix of firepower, terminal ballistics, and short barrel manners.   Everything else (subs, suppression, hunting, reloading) was just icing on the cake....some I can't, or don't do anyway.  

My favorites (so far) are a 9" .300blk and a 16" middy 5.56.  (I also have/had 8.3" and 9" 300blk, different profile 16" and 20" 5.56, some I have not even shot yet).

The thread is .300blk "OR" 5.56.  But for me, it is no longer an "or" question.  It would be like asking "6.5G or 5.56?"...depends on what you want to do.

Short barrel stuff? .300blk hands down, it isn't even close.
My 16" middy has a different role because 5.56 is inexpensive, easy to shoot, versatile, and proven.  It is ubiquitous.   It also functions better out of longer barrels.  I'mg going to play to its strength and use it as such.

View Quote

@panthermark...good points about the ballistics. You are right. For someone that has been in the game as long as you, the question is no longer an "or" question. I just wish I had the means to get into the game awhile back. I think I read that mission drives the gear. My mission is HD, so I agree 300 BO is probably best. However, getting training to get better at HD, it is cheaper with a 556; hence, the conundrum.

I am just getting into ARs so I don't think I want to get into the reloading hobby at this moment. I imagine it would be fun though.

Thank you everyone for all your input. They have been very helpful. Now, we need for everything to get back to normal so that firearms and ammo can be replenished.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:11:26 PM EDT
[#46]
On a side note, OP when you do decide to get a suppressor, one thing is an absolute.  After hours of research and multiple questions, you will find the exact suppressor you want.  As soon as your check clears, whatever manufacturer you went with will have a new version out within a week.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 2:06:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
On a side note, OP when you do decide to get a suppressor, one thing is an absolute.  After hours of research and multiple questions, you will find the exact suppressor you want.  As soon as your check clears, whatever manufacturer you went with will have a new version out within a week.  
View Quote

Are you serious @sycotik ? Does the technology on suppressors change that frequently?
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 5:45:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Are you serious @sycotik ? Does the technology on suppressors change that frequently?
View Quote

Well, it seemed like it did for me.  Remember, you may have a year or longer wait on it until it gets in your hands.  Now, recently it looks like that number has gone down a good bit, which is awesome.  The industry is always trying to come up with something new or different.  It is not their fault that it takes that it takes that long.  

But let me know which suppressor you decide on.  I will purchase it, then you wait one week after my check clears, and you purchase the newer version....
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top