BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 7/3/2022 10:58:28 PM EDT
The 5.56 round is heavily dependent on velocity for best performance, I do not run it in anything under 18". The recoil impulse is more pleasant, velocity is higher (not much but what you get is free in a sense) 18" is more enjoyable to shoot than any 16", let alone 12".

Running 5.56 in a barrel half the length of the original 20" design is just nonsense, why handicap performance.

if you need compactness -  300 blk was designed around about 10" barrels, you have a projectile that goes above 2K fps and is almost twice as heavy and is 30 cal and therefore offers a higher level of performance than any 10.5" or 11.5" or 12.5" or for that matter, 16" 5.56mm. Hunting-wise, it can take game that you would not even think about with 5.56.

Tactically wise, it uses the same 5.56mm magazines and most other parts and the recoil is about the same.  5.56mm make no sense at all in SBR configuration when you have 300 blk.
and it has a lot less muzzle blast, more pleasant to shoot.
because velocity is lower, it wears out the barrel less than high speed 5.56/223.

another category that 300 blk destroys is PPC, why run 9mm when you have 300 blk in the same sized package, which is nearly identical to 7.62x39 performance-wise, actually better due to better BC and reliability.

The only thing 5.56mm has on 300 blk is price and availability. Other than that, 300 blk is a winner in both SBR and full size formats. 16" 300 blk delivers amazing performance.

Link Posted: 7/3/2022 11:09:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Username checks out
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 11:29:04 PM EDT
[#2]
.300 BO is the worst alternative round of all time

If any engineer was involved they should be shamed out of existence as half ass safety priority jerks who hate people.

15 gr of gunpowder is anemic pussy power.
 Meanwhile, 6.5 Grendel stands ready to actually kill shit - at 200 yards... and not blow up your other AR15 doing it.  Running 29 gr of gunpowder (the guns-do-shit, part of guns doing shit) - doing shit.

Link Posted: 7/4/2022 12:50:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I believed all that hype once too OP but the BO tries to be a Jack of all trades but isn’t very good at any of them. Subsonics run about the same as a 45ACP with the trajectory of a rock past 50m. It suppresses well, but even 9mm does that with a 124gr projectile.

As for hunting, ever alternate caliber performs better than BO. .224 bullets are designed to function at designated velocities as are 6.5 and 6.8. The light 110-150gr projectiles are designed to function at 308W velocities and the heavy 175-220 or designed for 300WM velocities. Back to subs, the only reason the heavy bullets function at all is they’re hitting at less than 50m which is beyond the 1000m velocity of a 300WM.

As for compact function of an 8-12” barrel, my 45 and 10mm pistols are both more compact, use projectiles designed to function at a wider range of velocities and deliver reliable punch when needed.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 12:57:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I swear I've read this exact same thread before.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 1:06:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I swear I've read this exact same thread before.
View Quote

With the same two morons making the same mistaken pronouncements.

If you don't like any particular calibre, don't use it. If you can't trust yourself to put the right bullet in your gun, maybe you should stick to pointy sticks.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 1:14:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Pistol rounds do not have terminal velocity of a rifle round. 110 V Max will stop more than a 9mm or 45 at 100 yards drastically.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 1:20:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The 5.56 round is heavily dependent on velocity for best performance, I do not run it in anything under 18". The recoil impulse is more pleasant, velocity is higher (not much but what you get is free in a sense) 18" is more enjoyable to shoot than any 16", let alone 12".

Running 5.56 in a barrel half the length of the original 20" design is just nonsense, why handicap performance.

if you need compactness -  300 blk was designed around about 10" barrels, you have a projectile that goes above 2K fps and is almost twice as heavy and is 30 cal and therefore offers a higher level of performance than any 10.5" or 11.5" or 12.5" or for that matter, 16" 5.56mm. Hunting-wise, it can take game that you would not even think about with 5.56.

Tactically wise, it uses the same 5.56mm magazines and most other parts and the recoil is about the same.  5.56mm make no sense at all in SBR configuration when you have 300 blk.
and it has a lot less muzzle blast, more pleasant to shoot.
because velocity is lower, it wears out the barrel less than high speed 5.56/223.

another category that 300 blk destroys is PPC, why run 9mm when you have 300 blk in the same sized package, which is nearly identical to 7.62x39 performance-wise, actually better due to better BC and reliability.

The only thing 5.56mm has on 300 blk is price and availability. Other than that, 300 blk is a winner in both SBR and full size formats. 16" 300 blk delivers amazing performance.

View Quote
Whoa there, fella. Whoa. Save some of that coolaid for the rest of the 300 or derp cult.

I really don't care what you run in 5.56, and neither should you worry about what others run it in either. In 5.56 or .223 from 11.5 to 20, it's always still the same enjoyability to me.

Running a barrel length is nonsense only to the toxic types like yourself, nothing is hampering anything as your false narrative is disproven by the case use of the rifles that were used in the war on terrorism.

When I need compactness, I already have an 11.5 for this. It does what I need it to do, which is good enough for me because unlike your poor knowledge of ballistics, it still works as designed with a good projectile design.

Tactically wise, it's a more common round with 5.56 and having been the owner of 300 BO, there was just zero point in it for me because it didn't do anything better for me than 5.56 already could do. So 300 BO makes absolutely zero sense to me as an SBR round because of costs and it's not any more pleasant to shoot than a well tuned 5.56 rifle.

I don't care for PCC's but if I were to, it would be in 45 ACP because I already stock it and doesn't need any special load recipes to make it quiet because it's naturally subsonic.

The only thing that 300 BO has over 5.56 is that it can run on subsonic ammunition, a giant meh to me. Otherwise it's way more expensive, doesn't allow for being able to stack deep because of costs so it would make training almost impossible to do with any serious class, requires extra steps in brass conversions, would deplete components meant for 5.56 as well as 308, and has nothing per case use for me to want because I already have other things for that role so it would just be another logistical burden that's really unnecessary for me.

Now 6mm ARC, that would be a great alternative to me if it was more available and cheaper to afford to resupply with. But it's not. And neither is 300 BO, which can't do what a 6mm ARC can do.

Seriously man, what's wrong with letting people be and not trying to stir things up? Are you a missionary wanting more people involved with this caliber in hopes of seeing prices go down? What is it that makes you want to make lines here?
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 1:29:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Meanwhile, 6.5 Grendel stands ready to actually kill shit - at 200 yards... and not blow up your other AR15 doing it.  Running 29 gr of gunpowder (the guns-do-shit, part of guns doing shit) - doing shit.eeeeeeee1

View Quote

Of course Grendel is a ballistically superior round but blk is more practical overall. There is a long list of better-performing calibers, 6.5G, 6.8, maybe Valkery, 6mmAR, etc. etc.

Performance alone is not everything, it's the balance of everything.  300 Hammer outperforms blackout yet it's unobtanium. 6.8 and Grendel use special mags that are harder to find. If you have 100 mags for 5.56mm, you can recycle them for the BLK round, perhaps color coding them. Grendel blows extractors.  BLK has milder recoil, very controllable.
No, it does not have the range of 6.5, 6.8 or even 5.56mm. BLK is perfect 0-200 I feel.

fire up google trends and punch in 300 blk, 6.5g, 6.8, 458S  and see what's most popular.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 1:35:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I believed all that hype once too OP but the BO tries to be a Jack of all trades but isn’t very good at any of them. Subsonics run about the same as a 45ACP with the trajectory of a rock past 50m. It suppresses well, but even 9mm does that with a 124gr projectile.

As for hunting, ever alternate caliber performs better than BO. .224 bullets are designed to function at designated velocities as are 6.5 and 6.8. The light 110-150gr projectiles are designed to function at 308W velocities and the heavy 175-220 or designed for 300WM velocities. Back to subs, the only reason the heavy bullets function at all is they’re hitting at less than 50m which is beyond the 1000m velocity of a 300WM.

As for compact function of an 8-12” barrel, my 45 and 10mm pistols are both more compact, use projectiles designed to function at a wider range of velocities and deliver reliable punch when needed.
View Quote

Nope, there are projectiles specifically designed for 300 blk velocities.  300 BLK 110gr Blacktip has an expansion threshold of 1300fps.

300BLK with the right load is effective out to at least 200 yards, it has more energy than 44 magnum and delivers it very well in a sub-MOA package with the right barrel.

I never brought up the subsonic issue, it's irrelevant to me. but those who care, they can switch from supers to subs in a nanosecond.

Link Posted: 7/4/2022 1:58:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I agree with the thread title and the conclusion, 300BLK is awesome. Your reasoning I do not agree with. The idea that 5.56mm sucks with barrels less than 18" is absurd. Theoretically, yea maybe. Practically it is more like a minor performance penalty. The US military (amongst others) has been killing baddies with sub-18" barrels pretty damn effectively.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 7:19:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

if you need compactness -  300 blk was designed around about 10" barrels,

View Quote

Negative, 300 blk was designed around 9" barrels.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 8:46:38 AM EDT
[#12]
.45>9mm
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 8:53:36 AM EDT
[#13]
It makes more sense than a PCC.

Right up until you actually try to shoot it a bunch.  Them there boolits have never been cheap and sure as hell aren’t now.

And OP is being a little dramatic about barrel length with 5.56.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 8:55:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If any engineer was involved they should be shamed out of existence as half ass safety priority jerks who hate people.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIlcdKgzaXc8d-_QVViyQU3a6_IHrUDyIeFg&usqp=CAU

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_LYUVNpVtsF1yomyfT1T9anIcLFzJ5RRstg&usqp=CAU

Meanwhile, 6.5 Grendel stands ready to actually kill shit - at 200 yards... and not blow up your other AR15 doing it.  Running 29 gr of gunpowder (the guns-do-shit, part of guns doing shit) - doing shit.

View Quote

Do you feel the same about .270 and .308 or 7mm-08? Or is this simply limited to the 300blk, because reasons.

Frankly, I agree that 300blk is one of the best alternative calibers for the AR15. But even as an unapologetic fan, It is far from perfect.  But if your reason for not getting it is because you can physically stuff a 300blk supersonic round into a 5.56 chamber, well maybe you should reconsider owning guns.  And I say that fully expecting that if i was to do something as stupid as jamming a 300blk into a 5.56 chamber and blowing up a gun. I would deserve every bit of ridicule for doing something so irresponsible and foolish..
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 9:25:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIlcdKgzaXc8d-_QVViyQU3a6_IHrUDyIeFg&usqp=CAU

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_LYUVNpVtsF1yomyfT1T9anIcLFzJ5RRstg&usqp=CAU

View Quote

15 gr?

I get over 18 in my cases. And those are book loads.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 9:29:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

STOOOOOOOOOPPPP with this stupid claim. Have you ever looked at a ballistics table?

300 BLK has vastly superior external ballistics relative to .45 ACP.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 9:33:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Do you feel the same about .270 and .308 or 7mm-08? Or is this simply limited to the 300blk, because reasons.

Frankly, I agree that 300blk is one of the best alternative calibers for the AR15. But even as an unapologetic fan, It is far from perfect.  But if your reason for not getting it is because you can physically stuff a 300blk supersonic round into a 5.56 chamber, well maybe you should reconsider owning guns.  And I say that fully expecting that if i was to do something as stupid as jamming a 300blk into a 5.56 chamber and blowing up a gun. I would deserve every bit of ridicule for doing something so irresponsible and foolish..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

100%
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:26:44 AM EDT
[#18]
It is probably the most popular/most accepted "new comer" to the platform.

It is my favorite caliber by far, although my 12.5" and 16" 5.56's are no slouches with mk262 clones.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 11:34:55 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't have any 223/556 ARs.  Got 22lr, 9mm, and 762x39.  My only 300bo is a bolt gun, and I only got it because reloading info and components have more variety available across a much larger range of bullets than the x39.

For non-suppressed use I think the x39 is a better alt caliber, if only because you can still get "cheap" steel case ammo for ~50c/rnd.  Even without that, the 6.5 Grendel may be a better supersonic alt round.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 11:55:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

STOOOOOOOOOPPPP with this stupid claim. Have you ever looked at a ballistics table?

300 BLK has vastly superior external ballistics relative to .45 ACP.
View Quote

No kidding, huh?! LOL. Boat Tailed G1 BC's in the .5XX and .6XX range vs .45 bowling balls They usually talk about terminal perf though - I don't know... about 8K people a year, are killed by pistols, and those Lehigh Max Expansion "Petals" are pretty damn long. Callaway BoarAxe is looking good too. Some of the Subs can get through soft armor, IIRC. I have both platforms, so no dog in the fight. Stuff is spendy though (I don't reload). I should look for any Gel Tests with 10.5" 110gr TAC-TX vs whatever 5.56 loading is the choice de jour these days.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 12:15:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No kidding, huh?! LOL. Boat Tailed G1 BC's in the .5XX and .6XX range vs .45 bowling balls They usually talk about terminal perf though - I don't know... about 8K people a year, are killed by pistols, and those Lehigh Max Expansion "Petals" are pretty damn long. Callaway BoarAxe is looking good too. Some of the Subs can get through soft armor, IIRC. I have both platforms, so no dog in the fight. Stuff is spendy though (I don't reload). I should look for any Gel Tests with 10.5" 110gr TAC-TX vs whatever 5.56 loading is the choice de jour these days.
View Quote

Yes and no.  So BC is generated as a ratio of Cd for a given sectional density as compared to the standard G1 projectile. Most published BC numbers (G1, G7, whatever) are from the Mach 2-3 regime.  Once you drop much below mach 1, Cd drops off dramatically.  There is also the fact that in the total drag formula that uses Cd, the velocity term is squared.  In other words, the slower you go, the less Cd matters to the total drag, thus the less BC comparisons really matter, also.

What I'm getting at here is that yes, there is still a difference, and a .30 cal 230gr projectile will have less drag than a .45 cal 230gr projectile, but their trajectories in the subsonic realm, and effective expansion ranges will probably not be dramatically different.  Both are gonna drop like a rock, and both are going to have the inherent issue that 25-50fps MV ES is going to cause you to sometimes miss an IPSC full torso plate beyond 400-500yd... never mind that the trajectory past 150yd is full-retard.  So within that 150-200yd 'effective' range where you have a decent change to hit the target and have the bullet expand, you're looking at pretty similar performance.'

ETA: Also, important to point out that many of the BTHP .30 cal bullets used in subsonic blackouts are not designed to expand and many won't-- at best they tumble and fragment after many inches of neck.  So in some ways a designed-to-expand-below-1050fps .45 is probably much better than a 220-230gr Sierra/berger, etc..  And that is all eclipsed by a supersonic .300 blackout 110-125gr bullet, hands down.  Supers are better for hunting.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 12:30:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The 5.56 round is heavily dependent on velocity for best performance with certain projectiles.

View Quote

Your entire premise is flawed because you are needlessly handicapping 5.56 by limiting the discussion to M193/M855 or other similar loadings.  Certain projectiles are heavily dependent on velocity for ideal terminal performance, but there are a ton of more modern options that will perform well out of SBRs.

That said, sure, .300BLK is a good choice given certain needs and requirements, but it’s not a “one size fits all” solution.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 12:41:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I disagree with OPs claim and say 6.8 spc II is the best alternative caliber for the AR, barrel length notwithstanding, IMO.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 12:46:08 PM EDT
[#24]
300BLK is great for short barreled AR applications e.g. barrel lengths under 10.3", such as a dedicated backpack gun, PDW, ect.  If your situation accommodates a 10.3" or longer barrel, the economic advantages of the 5.5.56mm make it a better choice.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 1:10:11 PM EDT
[#25]
I disagree with OPs claim and say 6.5 Grendel is the best alternative caliber for the AR, barrel length notwithstanding, IMO.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 2:11:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Attachment Attached File

Suppressed 6” 1/5 loaded with 30 of bullets like these:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

… at approximately 1000fps is a very effective HD weapon. It has replaced a 556 SBR for my HD role. I want maximum situational awareness, so effective noise & flash suppression is important to me.  Plus this set up is very light weight and has such little recoil, my wife and kids can handle it effectively.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 3:24:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I disagree with OPs claim and say 6.8 spc II is the best alternative caliber for the AR, barrel length notwithstanding, IMO.
View Quote

Google trends

Look up 6.8 spc and 300 BLK

6.8, while being vastly ballistically superior, is almost dead. Its dead, Jim.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 3:27:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I disagree with OPs claim and say 6.5 Grendel is the best alternative caliber for the AR, barrel length notwithstanding, IMO.
View Quote

You could be right

The thing that I like about 300 blk is low recoil. 65 G and blk are not in thr same universe, 6.5 is 1000 yard round.  300 - I dont know. 200-300 at most.

The thing about 300 is the overall package, the balance of performance, cost, parts, mags.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 3:29:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/52686/0BFA2ADB-D2AE-4CBD-8BD6-2CE7D0DA714D_jpe-2441519.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/52686/37D13E3E-15C4-4965-800F-3D79AE5FE45B_jpe-2441521.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/52686/FE243CEF-48AB-4610-802D-FF7BC7B383C5_jpe-2441523.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/52686/594C5F6C-524C-4FD6-A86A-AD66AC942084_jpe-2441537.JPG

… at approximately 1000fps is a very effective HD weapon. It has replaced a 556 SBR for my HD role. I want maximum situational awareness, so effective noise & flash suppression is important to me.  Plus this set up is very light weight and has such little recoil, my wife and kids can handle it effectively.
View Quote

Are these 200 grainers?
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You could be right

The thing that I like about 300 blk is low recoil. 65 G and blk are not in thr same universe, 6.5 is 1000 yard round.  300 - I dont know. 200-300 at most.

The thing about 300 is the overall package, the balance of performance, cost, parts, mags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could be right

What you like and what others like are two vastly different things. My 308 is not exactly low recoil. But the AR15 is lighter than an AR10, and 6.5 G is lighter in recoil than a 308. That means I can carry it longer and have what I desire the most, lethality at longer ranges.

It seems your master race cartridge evolves around the fact that you desire a shorter range cartridge with a "lower recoil" because it's most likely that you're indeed recoil sensitive, and your eyes probably can't see as far as they probably used to be able to.

No wonder it's your bEsT rAcE aLtErNaTiVe. Meanwhile its costs aren't cheap, wastes my reloading sources, and wastes my parts and mag resources as well.

Case use is everything, yours is vastly different from others that don't agree with you and the fun part of this? They're not wrong either.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 3:43:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, first off - to preface: It's OK to Like Stuff I don't Like.  If it makes ya smile - enjoy!    (and yes, my reply had a smart-assed tone

And now - I shall commence with the purse-swinging!

but hey, it's a technical forum and we all have opinions.  To the technical reasoning to address the sensible question - the smart-assed tone of my reply last night aside;  for the most part my pause is around the .300 BO topic.  While it's possible for a .308 to be misfed into a .270, the reality is that's a notably more rare event, because the likelihood of that error happening is lower.  The risk analysis math basically is a combination of:
-How many people have both? (not nearly so many for 270/.308),
-Do they run the same magazines (no for .308/.270),
-Is the magazine capacity such that the offending round is going to be buried and out of sight during handling? (no for .308/270)
-Are the rounds about the same length and mass (no for .308/.270),
-and the big one: How many rounds are fired?  

Interestingly enough, .308's apparently don't automatically Kaboom a .270 like a .300 BO will in a 5.56 chamber.  Apparently the larger .270 chamber is big enough that either it doesn't blow, or if it does, the bolt action is designed for it and it's relieved down the mag well, but doesn't actually destroy the rifle.  Or in the two case-studies I could find, that's what happened there.  I wouldn't bank on it.  But I would bank on a .300 BO doing a grenade Kaboom of a 5.56 AR if you do it.  

We see "my rifle Kaboomed!"  After "Have Geisselle Call me -  my POS 5.56 rifle Kaboomed! (and no way was it .300 BO, as I keep that on the other side of the room)" post again and again too many times.  

The reality is anyone who owns a .300 BO, also owns a 5.56 AR15.  And they both run the same magazines.  And the rounds are the same length and close to the same weight.  A .300 BO round 5 rounds into a 5.56 magazine is invisible.   And people with such tend to shoot a LOT of rounds, and do so from large magazines at a high rate.   People load so many rounds into AR magazines that they don't consciously go: "OK round onnnee... (looks good looks good) Round twoooo (looks good, same headstamp, all is well), round threee (a tiny bit of additional bullet sealant on the neck here, probably should study that).." conscious study of every round going in; isn't nearly so absolute as people act.  People grab rounds off the table and start stuffing them into the magazine while talking with their buddies about what that sweet BBQ they had last night, is how people actually function.  

While .300 BO is not itself inherently dangerous, it's an armamentarium systemic safety risk.  And yea, that actually does apply to .308/.270 - but .300 BO is a a much higher risk and frequency of occurrence.  Just do a search on AR15 Kabooms here.  There's a reason .357 magnum won't fit in a .38, etc etc.  Do a search on .308 / 270 kabooms, and it's a much shorter search (with apparently very few actually damaging the gun or shooter even).

The first question in the event of a Kaboom thread regarding an AR15 is no longer "Do you reload?", it's now "do you won a .300 BO?".  The dismissal that you yourself of course, would never ever, but ever, have such a dumb error; is an assumption of infallibility many many many people also made.  Glad to hear you do the very careful conscious study of every round going into each magazine. I don't know anyone else actually does.  People fuck up and pay WAY less attention to shit than they think they do.  Systemically safe systems help mitigate that.  

------------------------------------------------------------

OK, but you're willing to take the risk and you carefully run a check-list everytime you take your gun out, and whatever: put in metal tracers in each round and run a special magnet over every magazine or ..whatever.  Is it still worth it, for that performance edge?  well, now we're to the next chapter.  Let's do the math on the "advantages" of .300 BO.

It's a subsonic round that works will with suppressors fired out of a 2-handed AR15 platform, and caters particularly well to a SBR system with a suppressor and high rate of fire; for CQB.
Is that you?  Are you running room sweeps with a suppressed SBR?  

Because that's where it's advantage starts and ends over other options.  And if you DO want to do that, are you running this as civilian, or as military?  Because if military, then you probably do want those 30 rounds for suppressive fire and continued multiple engagements against a coordinated hostile force.  If civilian, round counts in civilian engagements are WAaaahahhaaaayyyyyy lower than people act.  Kyle R. surrounded by a hostile crowd with multiple separate engages with a 30 round AR15 (5.56 btw), fired about 8 rounds total.  

In the meantime, it's a round that is nearly useless for extended range beyond really even 100 yards.  Firing one at a gong at 200 yards was an exercise in the absurd, at how much hold over I had to do.  but then, maybe that's because my ears were still ringing from the "first shot pop" of the .300 BO "subsonic".  Oopsies, so much for that "advantage".  It's a weak round with 15 (my bad 18) gr of gunpowder power.  That's happy-assed it.  .223 runs about 25-28 gr.  6.5 Grendel runs the same or a touch more.  6.8SPC is about in there too.  If you think you get the same amount of ass with half the powder - ya don't (unless you're running an NFA registered SBR where most of the other guys powder doesn't work so good below 10 inches or so.  Are you running an NFA registered SBR less than 10"?).  

So it's a weak round with terrible trajectory that blows up the other guns in your gun-safe.  That's outclassed in every measure by the other options, which are also safer.  
     Well.. unless you're running supressed with a really short SBR, and want 30 rounds doing that.   In the meantime, why does someone want to run such a rig?  Why for room clearing of course - sending 230 gr of power suppressed at room distances is some real performance.  Which.. you can also do with a suppressed .45 at the same terminal performance at that range and have your other hand free to actually open the door and sweep away hostages/wives/whatever.  

Like I say, it's totally cool to like stuff I don't like.  But for someone to claim .300 blk is the best alternative caliber to 5.56, of the spectrum out there, is an absurd statement demonstrating zero analysis of any mission statement to which it actually fits - save one very specialty one (that other rounds can do just fine at).  

Btw, suppressors don't actually work for shit - so if the point is to clear rooms without waking anyone up by running that .300 BO suppressed.  Uh... I've got bad news.  And watch most any hunting video and what's the first thing you see happen when that suppressed gun goes off?  All the animals running like crazy, that's what.  Loudest ear-ringing I've had in close to a decade from gun-fire, was a First-Shot-Pop from a subsonic suppressed .300 BO.)
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 4:11:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

OK, first of - to preface: It's OK to Like Stuff I don't Like.  If it makes ya smile - enjoy!  

but hey, it's a technical forum and we all have opinions.  To the technical reasoning to address the sensible question - the smart-assed tone of my reply last night aside;  for the most part my pause is around the .300 BO topic.  While it's possible for a .308 to be misfed into a .270, the reality is that's a notably more rare event, because the likelihood of that error happening is lower.  The risk analysis math basically is a combination of:
-Is the magazine capacity such that the offending round is going to be buried and out of sight during handling? (no for .308/270)

Interestingly enough, .308's apparently don't automatically Kaboom a .270 like a .300 BO will in a 5.56 chamber.  Apparently the larger .270 chamber is big enough that either it doesn't blow, or if it does, the bolt action is designed for it and it's relieved down the mag well, but doesn't actually destroy the rifle.  Or in the two case-studies I could find, that's what happened there.  I wouldn't bank on it.  But I would bank on a .300 BO doing a grenade Kaboom of a 5.56 AR if you do it.  
https://media.giphy.com/media/bSJ6okx2qcfy07bXE2/giphy.gif
We see "my rifle Kaboomed!"  After "Have Geisselle Call me -  my POS 5.56 rifle Kaboomed! (and no way was it .300 BO, as I keep that on the other side of the room)" post again and again too many times.  

The reality is anyone who owns a .300 BO, also owns a 5.56 AR15.  And they both run the same magazines.  And the rounds are the same length and close to the same weight.  A .300 BO round 5 rounds into a 5.56 magazine is invisible.   And people with such tend to shoot a LOT of rounds, and do so from large magazines at a high rate.   People load so many rounds into AR magazines that they don't consciously go: "OK round onnnee... (looks good looks good) Round twoooo (looks good, same headstamp, all is well), round threee (a tiny bit of additional bullet sealant on the neck here, probably should study that).." conscious study of every round going in; isn't nearly so absolute as people act.  People grab rounds off the table and start stuffing them into the magazine while talking with their buddies about what that sweet BBQ they had last night, is how people actually function.  

While .300 BO is not itself inherently dangerous, it's an armamentarium systemic safety risk.  And yea, that actually does apply to .308/.270 - but .300 BO is a a much higher risk and frequency of occurrence.  Just do a search on AR15 Kabooms here.  There's a reason .357 magnum won't fit in a .38, etc etc.  Do a search on .308 / 270 kabooms, and it's a much shorter search (with apparently very few actually damaging the gun or shooter even).

The first question in the event of a Kaboom thread regarding an AR15 is no longer "Do you reload?", it's now "do you won a .300 BO?".  The dismissal that you yourself of course, would never ever, but ever have such a dumb error, is an assumption of infallibility many many many people also made.  People fuck up and pay WAY less attention to shit than they think they do.  Systemically safe systems help mitigate that.  

OK, but you're willing to take the risk and you carefully run a check-list everytime you take your gun out, and put in metal tracers in each round and run a special magnet over every magazine or whatever.  Is it still worth it?  well, now we're to the next chapter.  Let's do the math on the advantages of .300 BO.

-It's a subsonic round that works will with suppressors fired out of a 2-handed AR15 platform, and caters particularly well to a SBR system with a suppressor and high rate of fire; for CQB.

because that's where it's advantage starts and ends.  And if you DO want to do that, are you running this as civilian, or as military?  Because if military, then you probably do want those 30 rounds for suppressive fire and continued multiple engagements against a coordinated hostile force.  If civilian, round counts in civilian engagements are WAaaahahhaaaayyyyyy lower than people act.  Kyle R. surrounded by a hostile crowd with multiple separate engages with a 30 round AR15 (5.56 btw), fired about 8 rounds total.  

In the meantime, it's a round that is nearly useless for extended range beyond really even 100 yards.  Firing one at a gong at 200 yards was an exercise in the absurd, at how much hold over I had to do.  but then, maybe that's because my ears were still ringing from the "first shot pop" of the .300 BO "subsonic".  Oopsies, so much for that "advantage".  It's a weak round with 15 (my bad 18) gr of gunpowder power.  That's happy-assed it.  .223 runs about 25-28 gr.  6.5 Grendel runs the same or a touch more.  6.8SPC is about in there too.  If you think you get the same amount of ass with half the powder - ya don't (unless you're running an NFA registered SBR where most of the other guys powder doesn't work.  Are you running an NFA registered SBR?).  

So it's a weak round with terrible trajectory that blows up the other guns in your gun-safe.  That's outclassed in every measure by the other options, which are also safer - excepted if you're running supressed with an SBR, and want 30 rounds doing that.   In the meantime, why does someone want to run such a rig?  Why for room clearing of course - sending 230 gr of power suppressed at room distances is some real performance.  Which.. you can also do with a suppressed .45 at the same terminal performance at that range and have your other hand free to actually open the door and sweap away hostages/wives/whatever.  

Like I say, it's totally cool to like stuff I don't like.  But for someone to claim .300 blk is the best alternative caliber to 5.56, of the spectrum out there, is an absurd statement demonstrating zero analysis of any mission statement to which it actually fits - save one very specialty one (that other rounds can do just fine at).  

Btw, suppressors don't actually work for shit - so if the point is to clear rooms without waking anyone up by running that .300 BO suppressed.  Uh... I've got bad news.  And watch most any hunting video and what's the first thing you see happen when that suppressed gun goes off?  All the animals running like crazy, that's what.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, first of - to preface: It's OK to Like Stuff I don't Like.  If it makes ya smile - enjoy!  

The first question in the event of a Kaboom thread regarding an AR15 is no longer "Do you reload?", it's now "do you won a .300 BO?".  The dismissal that you yourself of course, would never ever, but ever have such a dumb error, is an assumption of infallibility many many many people also made.  People fuck up and pay WAY less attention to shit than they think they do.  Systemically safe systems help mitigate that.  

OK, but you're willing to take the risk and you carefully run a check-list everytime you take your gun out, and put in metal tracers in each round and run a special magnet over every magazine or whatever.  Is it still worth it?  well, now we're to the next chapter.  Let's do the math on the advantages of .300 BO.

-It's a subsonic round that works will with suppressors fired out of a 2-handed AR15 platform, and caters particularly well to a SBR system with a suppressor and high rate of fire; for CQB.

because that's where it's advantage starts and ends.  And if you DO want to do that, are you running this as civilian, or as military?  Because if military, then you probably do want those 30 rounds for suppressive fire and continued multiple engagements against a coordinated hostile force.  If civilian, round counts in civilian engagements are WAaaahahhaaaayyyyyy lower than people act.  Kyle R. surrounded by a hostile crowd with multiple separate engages with a 30 round AR15 (5.56 btw), fired about 8 rounds total.  

In the meantime, it's a round that is nearly useless for extended range beyond really even 100 yards.  Firing one at a gong at 200 yards was an exercise in the absurd, at how much hold over I had to do.  but then, maybe that's because my ears were still ringing from the "first shot pop" of the .300 BO "subsonic".  Oopsies, so much for that "advantage".  It's a weak round with 15 (my bad 18) gr of gunpowder power.  That's happy-assed it.  .223 runs about 25-28 gr.  6.5 Grendel runs the same or a touch more.  6.8SPC is about in there too.  If you think you get the same amount of ass with half the powder - ya don't (unless you're running an NFA registered SBR where most of the other guys powder doesn't work.  Are you running an NFA registered SBR?).  

So it's a weak round with terrible trajectory that blows up the other guns in your gun-safe.  That's outclassed in every measure by the other options, which are also safer - excepted if you're running supressed with an SBR, and want 30 rounds doing that.   In the meantime, why does someone want to run such a rig?  Why for room clearing of course - sending 230 gr of power suppressed at room distances is some real performance.  Which.. you can also do with a suppressed .45 at the same terminal performance at that range and have your other hand free to actually open the door and sweap away hostages/wives/whatever.  

Btw, suppressors don't actually work for shit - so if the point is to clear rooms without waking anyone up by running that .300 BO suppressed.  Uh... I've got bad news.  And watch most any hunting video and what's the first thing you see happen when that suppressed gun goes off?  All the animals running like crazy, that's what.

You took a lot of time to argue against points I never made.  And still only proved you are scared that you are going to screw up and load the wrong round.  You assumed a bunch of stuff, based on nothing I actually said, and your failed attempt to answer the questions I asked falls short,  I said i think the 300blk is one of the best of the alternative calibers, nothing more, and nothing less.  I did not give specifics, You do not know what and or how I choose to use 300blk and in what platform, so again, you said a bunch of stuff without saying anything worthwhile. I also pointed out it is far from perfect.  I don't agree with the OPs assessment as a whole, and frankly your number one reason you gave I find to be colossally ignorant and lazy.  

Your main argument is simply the last in a long line of ignorance spouted ever since AAC and Silvers brought out the 300blk, From million dollar ad campaigns that never existed to Silvers being the devil incarnate.  And yes before you think you need to inform me of the history, I was into 300blk before it existed.  My first 300 whisper AR was a few years before AAC introduced 300blk.  

That being said, I don't really care.  I am a big believer in shoot what you like.  I just don't feel the need to go around and use ignorant talking points to slam other peoples decisions.  But hey that's just me  But I would say, if you are going to point out in a 300blk thread that it will blow up your 5.56 gun then at least have the intellectual honesty to point out the possibility in other calibers, otherwise you are being very selective.  

Lastly, that you think I need some kind of instruction from you on how a suppressor works, shows a high level of arrogance.  I don't need to watch any hunting videos with suppressed 300blk, Since I actually hunt with it I know exactly what it does, and what it sounds like.  I have tested bullets on actual flesh and posted the results then got slammed because some dude with a Youtube channel and properly calibrated ballistic gel said it would not work, and not the clear stuff, only the bad youtube channels use that.  Because properly calibrated ballistic gel trumps actual flesh.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 4:13:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You took a lot of time to argue against points I never made.  And still only proved you are scared that you are going to screw up and load the wrong round.  You assumed a bunch of stuff, based on nothing I actually said, and your failed attempt to answer the questions I asked falls short,  I said i think the 300blk is one of the best of the alternative calibers, nothing more, and nothing less.  I did not give specifics, You do not know what and or how I choose to use 300blk and in what platform, so again, you said a bunch of stuff without saying anything worthwhile. I also pointed out it is far from perfect.  I don't agree with the OPs assessment as a whole, and frankly your number one reason you gave I find to be colossally ignorant and lazy.  

Your main argument is simply the last in a long line of ignorance spouted ever since AAC and Silvers brought out the 300blk, From million dollar ad campaigns that never existed to Silvers being the devil incarnate.  And yes before you think you need to inform me of the history, I was into 300blk before it existed.  My first 300 whisper AR was a few years before AAC introduced 300blk.  

That being said, I don't really care.  I am a big believer in shoot what you like.  I just don't feel the need to go around and use ignorant talking points to slam other peoples decisions.  But hey that's just me  But I would say, if you are going to point out in a 300blk thread that it will blow up your 5.56 gun then at least have the intellectual honesty to point out the possibility in other calibers, otherwise you are being very selective.  

Lastly, that you think I need some kind of instruction from you on how a suppressor works, shows a high level of arrogance.  I don't need to watch any hunting videos with suppressed 300blk, Since I actually hunt with it I know exactly what it does, and what it sounds like.  I have tested bullets on actual flesh and posted the results then got slammed because some dude with a Youtube channel and properly calibrated ballistic gel said it would not work, and not the clear stuff, only the bad youtube channels use that.  Because properly calibrated ballistic gel trumps actual flesh.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Duuudde.  It was a general monolog post, not really meant as an attack to even put you in your place.  

Also just because insufferable shit is said again and again - doesn't mean it's actually wrong.  .300 BO kabooms 5.56 guns like crazy.  From dudes who all thought they weren't retards that would ever blow up.  Not them no-sir.  If ya like shooting a black-powder power-level round at 200 yards - have at it!
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 4:14:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yes and no.  So BC is generated as a ratio of Cd for a given sectional density as compared to the standard G1 projectile. Most published BC numbers (G1, G7, whatever) are from the Mach 2-3 regime.  Once you drop much below mach 1, Cd drops off dramatically.  There is also the fact that in the total drag formula that uses Cd, the velocity term is squared.  In other words, the slower you go, the less Cd matters to the total drag, thus the less BC comparisons really matter, also.

What I'm getting at here is that yes, there is still a difference, and a .30 cal 230gr projectile will have less drag than a .45 cal 230gr projectile, but their trajectories in the subsonic realm, and effective expansion ranges will probably not be dramatically different.  Both are gonna drop like a rock, and both are going to have the inherent issue that 25-50fps MV ES is going to cause you to sometimes miss an IPSC full torso plate beyond 400-500yd... never mind that the trajectory past 150yd is full-retard.  So within that 150-200yd 'effective' range where you have a decent change to hit the target and have the bullet expand, you're looking at pretty similar performance.'

ETA: Also, important to point out that many of the BTHP .30 cal bullets used in subsonic blackouts are not designed to expand and many won't-- at best they tumble and fragment after many inches of neck.  So in some ways a designed-to-expand-below-1050fps .45 is probably much better than a 220-230gr Sierra/berger, etc..  And that is all eclipsed by a supersonic .300 blackout 110-125gr bullet, hands down.  Supers are better for hunting.
View Quote

I don't understand the attempt at a comparison.
They are on completely different platforms.
.45 is normally shot out of a sidearm.
.300blk is out of an AR or sometimes a bolt action.
Very few people shoot .45 out of an AR or bolt action because it isn't a good caliber for that purpose unless you are doing it for very specific reasons.

How many people picks .45 over .300blk for designated quiet hunting or pest or control?

If you are talking 200 yards on a man size target for expanding rounds, I'm going to take the more accurate Lehigh or Makers round in .300blk (with less drop) over +P HST in .45acp, even out of the same platform.
If your minimal acceptable criteria is "X" inches of drop AND "X" MOA, .300blk will give you more range before you get to that threshold, not to mention the non-expanding ammo that can penetrate level II armor and bulletproof glass.
I get that BC matters "less" at slower speeds, but BC (and SD) still matters.  More importantly, even if you say that the numbers are close enough that is does not matter for the ranges one is shooting subsonic at, I'm still not picking .45acp over .300blk because of the supersonic side, plus the easier function of .300blk out of the AR platform.

Link Posted: 7/4/2022 4:36:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Based on google trends, 300 blk is 3 times more popular than 6.5 G. Despite the latter being ballistically superior.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?geo=US&q=300%20blackout,6.5%20Grendel
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 4:43:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Based on google trends, 300 blk is 3 times more popular than 6.5 G. Despite the latter being ballistically superior.

View Quote

IDGAF about appeals to numbers or authority figures for that matter as well. However I do care for my case usage more than mob rule in numbers trying to tell me what I should be liking instead.

Using your own logic, the G19 on Google trends is extremely popular as well. However they shoot like shit in my hands yet the G17 doesn't. The G19 is claimed to be the prefect CCW, yet that isn't true in regards to me either yet the G43X does that job way fricking better IMO.

Link Posted: 7/4/2022 4:49:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Fellas, its AMERICA!!!  Shoot what ya want.

Fyi---- I love 300blk.  Ive done away with all my 223 rifles and turned them into 6mm ARC which is better than the grendel ??
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 4:50:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, and people in general are stupid.

That likely has more to do with people readily having access to 25y indoor ranges, while some of us have access to 600+ whenever they want.

Grendel fits outdoor shooters significantly better.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 4:55:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I don't understand the attempt at a comparison.
They are on completely different platforms.
.45 is normally shot out of a sidearm.
.300blk is out of an AR or sometimes a bolt action.
Very few people shoot .45 out of an AR or bolt action because it isn't a good caliber for that purpose unless you are doing it for very specific reasons.

How many people picks .45 over .300blk for designated quiet hunting or pest or control?

If you are talking 200 yards on a man size target for expanding rounds, I'm going to take the more accurate Lehigh or Makers round in .300blk (with less drop) over +P HST in .45acp, even out of the same platform.
If your minimal acceptable criteria is "X" inches of drop AND "X" MOA, .300blk will give you more range before you get to that threshold, not to mention the non-expanding ammo that can penetrate level II armor and bulletproof glass.
I get that BC matters "less" at slower speeds, but BC (and SD) still matters.  More importantly, even if you say that the numbers are close enough that is does not matter for the ranges one is shooting subsonic at, I'm still not picking .45acp over .300blk because of the supersonic side, plus the easier function of .300blk out of the AR platform.
View Quote

What's not to understand? Some folks consider a short range gun to be 50 yards and closer. People are making 300 BO to be about a short range gun as well, but their case use is probably expected to be a bit more further out. At fifty yards and inwards, it's perfectly fine in case use with house defense or pest control that won't disturb your neighbors. Add to this also that if someone is already stocking and loading 45 ACP yet has no desire to add another caliber and it makes the most sense for them.

If I am needing something outside of my home for up to 300 yards, I am getting the right gun in the right caliber for this and it's not going to be 300 BO.

I know that you're a 300 die hard fan like the OP, but geez man. The answer universally isn't going to be 300 BO for everybody. You may not be okay with this like the OP, but others are and that is perfectly fine. It's great to have 1st world problems and you both shouldn't sweat this on of all days, Independence Day
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 4:59:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Fellas, its AMERICA!!!  Shoot what ya want.

Fyi---- I love 300blk.  Ive done away with all my 223 rifles and turned them into 6mm ARC which is better than the grendel ??
View Quote

Exactly.

If I was going to have any alternative at all, it would only be the 6 ARC. Still cooking over 2,000 FPS at 300 yards from even a 12 inch. Damn!

Link Posted: 7/4/2022 5:28:37 PM EDT
[#41]
The Grendel round is superior to BLK in almost all ways except parts availability. You can recycle 223/5.56  mags for BLK and other parts like bolts, etc. Apparently that's a big deal with most people.

I wish Uncle Sam would adopt 6.5 instead of 5.56 but you know that will never happen.  

300 is the superior choice in terms of logistics. Bolts, mags, extractors, etc.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 5:41:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The Grendel round is superior to BLK in almost all ways except parts availability. You can recycle 223/5.56  mags for BLK and other parts like bolts, etc. Apparently that's a big deal with most people.

I wish Uncle Sam would adopt 6.5 instead of 5.56 but you know that will never happen.  

300 is the superior choice in terms of logistics. Bolts, mags, extractors, etc.
View Quote

I still don't care. Your thread and all but creating one just to argue over during Independence Day and celebrating our individual freedoms to choose over the wills of others like yourself, is stupid IMO.

I don't want to recycle any magazine bought for 5.56 into another caliber usage. Waste of resources to me really.

300 will never be the superior choice in terms of logistics. This was already explained to you. The sooner that you accept that it's not for everyone, the happier we all will be.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 8:01:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Just got back from shooting this one:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:56:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Nice. Looks like a 9" barrel, what kind? What accuracy do you get with subs?
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 11:03:00 PM EDT
[#45]
What optic is that?
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 11:03:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

What's not to understand? Some folks consider a short range gun to be 50 yards and closer. People are making 300 BO to be about a short range gun as well, but their case use is probably expected to be a bit more further out. At fifty yards and inwards, it's perfectly fine in case use with house defense or pest control that won't disturb your neighbors. Add to this also that if someone is already stocking and loading 45 ACP yet has no desire to add another caliber and it makes the most sense for them.

If I am needing something outside of my home for up to 300 yards, I am getting the right gun in the right caliber for this and it's not going to be 300 BO.

I know that you're a 300 die hard fan like the OP, but geez man. The answer universally isn't going to be 300 BO for everybody. You may not be okay with this like the OP, but others are and that is perfectly fine. It's great to have 1st world problems and you both shouldn't sweat this on of all days, Independence Day
View Quote

That is not what I'm getting.  
I didn't say anything about it being the best or not.  Everyone has different needs.  
I'm only stating that there are multiple differences between .300blk and .45 acp.  I don't care if people shoot .300blk or not...do what you want because what is best for one person isn't the best for someone else.  
But the native platforms and bullet designs are so different between .45 and .300blk, that most comparisons between those two calibers make little since.  Very few people hunt with .45.  Very few people do pest control with .45.   Very few people build AR's or bolt actions chambered in .45.  I think there are far AR's in .22LR, 9mm, .350L, and even some big bores shooting subs before there are AR's in 45.   Why compare them?  Outside of similar energy (weight/velocity), they are nothing alike. That is what I'm getting at.
If you are going to artificially limit your sub distance to 50 yards, then yes, they would be fairly similar.  Then again, what would be the point of any long gun/AR pistol chambered in .45 if you restrict the max distance to 50 yards while basically be limited to sub-sonic ammo (outside of shooting for fun)?  It is an artificially capped comparison that makes little sense.

Link Posted: 7/4/2022 11:38:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Of course Grendel is a ballistically superior round but blk is more practical overall. There is a long list of better-performing calibers, 6.5G, 6.8, maybe Valkery, 6mmAR, etc. etc.

Performance alone is not everything, it's the balance of everything.  300 Hammer outperforms blackout yet it's unobtanium. 6.8 and Grendel use special mags that are harder to find. If you have 100 mags for 5.56mm, you can recycle them for the BLK round, perhaps color coding them. Grendel blows extractors.  BLK has milder recoil, very controllable.
No, it does not have the range of 6.5, 6.8 or even 5.56mm. BLK is perfect 0-200 I feel.

fire up google trends and punch in 300 blk, 6.5g, 6.8, 458S  and see what's most popular.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meanwhile, 6.5 Grendel stands ready to actually kill shit - at 200 yards... and not blow up your other AR15 doing it.  Running 29 gr of gunpowder (the guns-do-shit, part of guns doing shit) - doing shit.eeeeeeee1

There's some validity to some of that.  That's a very cherry picked "alternative" list there I see.  How about we also throw in .223, 5.56, 22LR, 9mm, and 7.62x39 into that google search list.  But really, it's not really a relevant metric.

As to logistics and availability - for the longest time it was 6.5 Grendel that had 25 cent Wolf Steel available.  As to converting .223 to .300 BO.  Nobody actually does it; because it's an insufferable PITA to do so.  Actually, converting 7.62x39 into 6.5 is WAY easier.  

Though it is a fair point on bolts.  Grendel bolts are semi-exotic, so if want to go Grendel route, good idea to have some spares.  Fortunately they are as common as dirt, since the round is so common, it was the only round Wolf made steel for even; it's that common.  And frankly, the "feature" of .300 BO having the same bolt and magazines as 5.56 is no "Feature", it's a safety nightmare, is what that's been for .300 BO.  Go ask someone who works a public range about Kabooms.  You'll get a steady stream of .300 BO kaboom stories.  It's actually pretty-F'ing entertaining.  Some folks even manage to do it twice - THE SAME DAY!  Seriously, it's quite a show.

If you like .300 BO - enjoy.  If you are trying to convince other people trying to make a decision, that it's the best alternative caliber; it's so very not.  It's actually the absolute worst, with the worst and weakest ballistics of all options, combined with systemic hazard of having something like that in your armamentarium.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 12:06:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I didn't say anything about it being the best or not.  Everyone has different needs.  
I'm only stating that there are multiple differences between .300blk and .45 acp.  I don't care if people shoot .300blk or not...do what you want because what is best for one person isn't the best for someone else.  
But the native platforms and bullet designs are so different between .45 and .300blk, that most comparisons between those two calibers make little since.  Very few people hunt with .45.  Very few people do pest control with .45.   Very few people build AR's or bolt actions chambered in .45.  I think there are far AR's in .22LR, 9mm, .350L, and even some big bores shooting subs before there are AR's in 45.   Why compare them?  Outside of similar energy (weight/velocity), they are nothing alike. That is what I'm getting at.
If you are going to artificially limit your sub distance to 50 yards, then yes, they would be fairly similar.  Then again, what would be the point of any long gun/AR pistol chambered in .45 if you restrict the max distance to 50 yards while basically be limited to sub-sonic ammo (outside of shooting for fun)?  It is an artificially capped comparison that makes little sense.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I keep having to repeat this in bold, because obviously there are people such as yourself that don't get this and keep insisting on something else, validating why I keep telling you. Stop trying to understand why others like something else for roles you invented for them that you use 300 BO for to which is being superimposed, and start understanding the fact that for some folks, 300 BO is not going to work but 45 ACP will. CASE USE BETWEEN DIFFERENT FOLKS IS EVERYTHING.

My first world problem is that I have no use for 300 BO, but do for have another role for 45 ACP because I already stock and produce it. And for 50 yards and closer, it makes perfect sense to me. If I need further than that, I have 5.56. And if I need much further than that, I've got 308.

Therefore, nothing is being capped, and nothing was artificial. Just because you don't understand doesn't mean that it's wrong. But it does mean that you have a bias against what others use that aren't lock step and heel to what you have made known that you prefer and want others to prefer too.

Link Posted: 7/5/2022 12:22:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/52686/0BFA2ADB-D2AE-4CBD-8BD6-2CE7D0DA714D_jpe-2441519.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/52686/37D13E3E-15C4-4965-800F-3D79AE5FE45B_jpe-2441521.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/52686/FE243CEF-48AB-4610-802D-FF7BC7B383C5_jpe-2441523.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/52686/594C5F6C-524C-4FD6-A86A-AD66AC942084_jpe-2441537.JPG

View Quote

Only the poors hate on 300blk
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 12:30:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Only the poors hate on 300blk
View Quote

^^ low quality bait in tech.

This isn't GD.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top