Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2020 12:45:19 AM EDT
I run this 22 Nosler for coyotes; ran the exact same barrel/bcg/magazine/ammo (53 gr nosler varmageddon) last year with zero issues.  Swapped to a mega MML upper assembly, mega lower, and SLR adjustable gas block.  Those are the changes this year vs last.

Being that it's 22 nosler and a hunting rifle i haven't spent a lot of time running rounds through it and trouble shooting.

Things i have done (currently running a standard carbine buffer and spring).  All parts have <250 rounds on them
-cleaned the bore/chamber/bcg/etc
-bcg staking, gas rings, ejector and extractor appear normal
-hand cycling ejects shells in a normal appearence
-bcg slides freely into the upper with no gas tube binding
-opened the gas block to 10 clicks (had a malfunction the other night) and now 13 clicks (malfunction today)

History:

This same barrel/bcg/magazine/ammo (53gr nosler varmageddon) combo was run for 4 months last year with probably 200 round fired with zero issues. This was in various weather conditions from -10 to 50 degrees here during an illinois winter.

-function checked and zeroed in october with no issues; the gas block was set at 7 clicks out (15 total) for gas allowance so basically half open. It locked back on empty mags and had no issues in about 15 rounds during the new build function check/zero trip.

In the last month i have multiple malfunctions similar to malfunction A below (spent casing gets pinched into the ejection port area on the receiver and wedged between the bolt and the ejection door.

While troubleshooting today i ran some other rounds (55gr nosler trophy grade) through that had FTE on 3/5 rounds and did not lock back.  different ammo, different magazine.  I realize it's not a perfect simulation but the malfunction existed and was more severe with this ammo and magazine.

Last night i shot 4 times with zero malfunctions (53 gr varmageddon), today i shot 5 rounds at the range with zero malfunctions and the bolt locked back.

Thoughts?  

My theory is that it has to be gas related and i'm tempted to ditch the adjustable gas block and go back to my standard one like last year BUT why would it lock back during all trial runs with the gas block setting at 7, 10, and 13 turns out.

Could it be overgassed?

Any input is appreciated.  Obviously i would love to just grab 50 rounds and screw around but with the ammo shortage and cost of my hunting rounds, i haven't done a lot and the malfunction is infrequent with my current setup.

Malfunction A (common malfunction that has happened 3-4 times this season)

Malfunction B (first time i've seen this one with the round stock between the bolt face and the charging handle. That is the spent casing angled up; not a new round
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 2:29:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 5:54:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What mags are you running, since if they are 223 mags with the wider  22 Nosler case, going to cause all kinds of feed problems.  Hence in both photos, the case slipped out of the feed ramps on the mags, well before the bullet tip has entered the chamber.

So on that note, make sure you are running 22 Nosler mags, which should retain the case correctly in the mag lips during the bolt charge into the chamber, and release the case from the feed lips at the correct timing.
View Quote

Running 6.8 mags, same mag I ran last year with zero issues.  The round you're seeing is the spent case. It has not picked up a new round yet so I do not believe it's a magazine issue as the ejection is the issue vs the feeding of the next round.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 6:33:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 4:35:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Will the bolt lock back on the mag catch (catch in front of the bolt holding it back), when a single round is loaded and fired through rifle with the mag still in the well?

Yes, it locks back on an empty mag as designed (with the varmageddon ammo, magazine, etc. that i hunt with)

In the photo's, it has the bolt face behind the rim, so bolt is at least making it that far back, but may not be enough to get a clean run at the case on the strip out of the mag/

Mags, when was the last time they where pulled apart and cleaned.

Never, can't say i've cleaned a mag in my life so it didn't cross my mind on a mag with 200 rounds or less through it.

Mag catch button, is the threaded part of the catch end flush with the face of the button?

yes, no issues with the mag catch problem

Hence all to check if the problem is on a live feed.

As for problem with the rifle stove piping on ejection the spent case, start with just pulling the charging handle all the way back, and make sure that the face of the bolt stops 1/8" to 1/4" in front of the back edge of the ejection port window.  If bolt is stopping too far back, the pull buffer and recoil spring, and use quarters for end of tube spacer to get the bolt to stop in the correct postion in front of the ejection port back window edge.

Next hook a spent case on the ejectors, and cam the ejector into the bolt face a few times to make sure that the ejector is not binding in the bolt channel for it.

From here, pull the extractor to make sure that the ends of grabbing claw do not have burs, preventing the grabbing claw from getting a good bit on the rim (so is not dropping the spent case of the pull), and if you don't know what extractor spring is in the extractor, replace with a Colt M4 extra tension extractor spring.
Note, until the new extractor spring arrives, just use a #60 O ring around the standard tension spring to add tension to it.

Last one, double check your loads to make sure they are not going over pressure, unlocking the bolt too soon, and make sure to chamber brush clean the chamber with CLP by hand each cleaning.  Hence dirty chamber, load too hot, or bolt just unlocking too fast, will cause the spent case to be pressure welded/retained to the chamber walls too much on the pull, ending up with the spent case still not in tow on the bolt face at back of stroke.

got it. The current bcg uses an 0-ring on the extractor.

Spent casings appear normal

Link Posted: 12/25/2020 7:31:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 3:15:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Another items to check since you do have a color plated extractor, take a sharpy marker to the extractor rim releif channel to color it black, put it back in the bolt, then with a live round hooked on the extractor and the ejector pushed in so the rim of the case is as far away from the extractor to the other side of the bolt face channel as posible, spin the round and make sure that the rim of the case is removing the maker coloring from the rim relief channel of the extractor.

Hence either a bur at the extractor contact pad on the side of the extractor to the bolt side, or on the bolt side, may not be allowing the extractor to seat on the rim with the rim all the way to the face of the extractor rim relief channel so claw can get a full bite on the pull.

Hence either bolt coming back too far and spent case tagging the the back inner edge of the ejection window on pivot off the bolt face to deflect the spent case back in, or extractor is dropping the spent case on the pull/why it not being pivoted off the bolt correctly out the ejection window on the back of stroke buffer stall.
View Quote

Installed a new extractor assembly on the bolt yesterday and ran 15 rounds through the gun after setting my adjustable gas block back to the original setting of 8/15 clicks out (how it was when i zeroed it in october).

Both types of ammo ran fine, locked back on an empty mag, and ejected consistently at 4:00.  Did not adjust/alter/change anything else in the equation.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 10:37:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Update:  Shot 7-8 rounds saturday without issue but am still having rough extraction of the casings.

Link Posted: 12/28/2020 4:50:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 8:19:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the input; the pics help.  I'll do some more investigating.  A lot of the info i've run into seems to be cartridge related to the 22 nosler round itself between possibly being overpressured to the rebated rim affected extraction.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 9:11:15 PM EDT
[#10]
You might want to give this video a watch. 22 Nosler is notorious for case rim damage.

Fixing 22 Nosler - 22 NOSGAR! - Part 1
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 9:22:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You might want to give this video a watch. 22 Nosler is notorious for case rim damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJhBJjkv2eM
View Quote

Absolutely true and seems consistent.  My main issue was the ejection which seems resolved (for now)
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top