Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2020 10:37:21 PM EDT
Hey, guys. Got an issue that I can't seem to figure out. I built a new AR in 204 Ruger. It has a rifle length gas system, 26" Mcgowen barrel, JP adjustable gas block, Anderson lower and mil spec trigger group for now. Standard buffer and sping.

So, I got it all together and finally made it to the range. I realized quickly that the gas block was not opened when it was not cycling. So, it was effectively a bolt gun. I did not have the allen wrench with me to open it up. SO, it was firing pretty nice groups for a single shot... standard 32 grain Fiocchi ammo. Then the problems started happening after that. The bolt closes with no problem into the chamber with no cartridge. However, when i place a cartridge in the chamber either by hand loading it in there or off a 10 round mag....it won't close all the way. I can still see brass. Also, it isn't far enough forward for the forward assist to work either. ???  The extractor seems to be over the rim because it has no problem ejecting the round when the charging handle is pulled back. It just wont' seat in there. However, It did for 50 rounds of single shot until i opened the gas port up....

I tried a different bolt and carrier group out of my RRA...same problem.

I took it all apart, cleaned it, inspected the chamber...even with the barrel completely removed from the upper and found nothing?

Any ideas? All factory ammo. No reloads. All brass. ??

Any help is appreciated. I have no idea why this is happening.

Thanks,

Dave
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 11:05:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Using old brass and have half of a split case stuck in the chamber? Have had this numerous times in my 204 AR.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 11:08:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Using factory new brass. Fiocci? Sp? 32 grain i had it all apart... inspected the chamber. Couldn't see any old brass?
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 11:09:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Also, I have all the brass I shot. No split cases at all. I kept them in case I ever reload.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 10:50:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you switch ammo types? Does the bullet have land impressions on it when extracted? Is your gas tube off center?
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:51:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 9:37:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Pull the BCG and drop a round in the chamber. Does it plunk in and drop out? If so, it isn’t the barrel, chamber or rounds.

With still seeing brass, something sounds like it is hanging out way out. I would be checking gas tube alignment also.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top