Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2023 1:24:06 AM EDT
I have a new 6.5 Grendel upper that is a rifle length gas system. Assembled by a gun smith and i lubed it with CLP

I have a carbine length buffer tube and a mid length gas .223 upper as a complete gun and it works flawlessly

I am trying to sell a 6.5 Grendel pistol to buy a dedicated lower for the 18in 6.5 Grendel upper

I have a superlative arms adjustable gas block and found the right amount of gas to eject the round, but I can’t get the bolt to lock open or the next round to feed.

I’ve tried a few varieties of ammo and it won’t feed or lock back.

Is my issue the rifle length barrel and the carbine length buffer spring, tube, and probably a H1 weight?

Can I put an adjustable rifle length assembly on my .223 gun and not disturb it’s functionality with the mid length gas system?

Thanks y’all
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:40:50 AM EDT
[#1]
If you’ve only tuned the adjustable gas block until you started seeing reliable ejection, you’re doing it wrong.  An AR can eject a spent cartridge even if the bolt does not fully travel to the rear.

Adjustable gas blocks need to be tuned with 1 round in the mag at a time until the gun starts reliably locking the bolt to the rear.  You then need to fire a series of rounds to ensure reliable function.  Adjust as necessary if the gun fails to function 100%.

If the second paragraph is the procedure you followed, then your problem could lay elsewhere.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 10:37:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you’ve only tuned the adjustable gas block until you started seeing reliable ejection, you’re doing it wrong.  An AR can eject a spent cartridge even if the bolt does not fully travel to the rear.

Adjustable gas blocks need to be tuned with 1 round in the mag at a time until the gun starts reliably locking the bolt to the rear.  You then need to fire a series of rounds to ensure reliable function.  Adjust as necessary if the gun fails to function 100%.

If the second paragraph is the procedure you followed, then your problem could lay elsewhere.
View Quote

Wise words above.  This is how you do it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 10:55:25 AM EDT
[#3]
the BCG is not locking back. Would the carbine tube/spring be the issue since the gas system is rifle length?
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 11:59:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:Would the carbine tube/spring be the issue since the gas system is rifle length?
View Quote
No, that’s not a problem. You can put a rifle upper on a carbine lower or vice-versa.

Sounds to me like you’re just under-gassed.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:03:38 PM EDT
[#5]
should've got a larue
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:32:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
the BCG is not locking back. Would the carbine tube/spring be the issue since the gas system is rifle length?
View Quote

What procedure did you follow to tune the adjustable gas block?

I only ask because even if you did it “right,” Superlative B/O blocks have two modes with exactly opposite adjustments.  I’ve seen more than a few people mix those up and run into issues.

And no, gas system and recoil system for the most part have nothing to do with one another.  All combinations are compatible with one another.

Link Posted: 1/5/2023 4:32:48 PM EDT
[#7]
my gas block

this is what i got
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 5:50:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
my gas block

this is what i got
View Quote

Yes, I’m aware of SA adjustable gas blocks, I currently have 3 ARs with them installed.

You need to specify what procedure you followed to tune the gas block or no one here is going to be able to help you.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#9]
i loaded a magazine with 2 rounds

i backed off from the closed position 4.5 turns

understandably anything under 4 turns the bolt would not cycle

i would fire the rifle and the brass was being ejected to my 3:30-5:00 position

a new round was not being picked up and loaded

perhaps this weekend i can try to load just 1 round to see if the bolt locks back
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 6:12:38 PM EDT
[#10]
there was some discussion on 2 modes of operation and i just wanted to be clear what i had
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 6:29:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
i loaded a magazine with 2 rounds

i backed off from the closed position 4.5 turns

understandably anything under 4 turns the bolt would not cycle

i would fire the rifle and the brass was being ejected to my 3:30-5:00 position

a new round was not being picked up and loaded

perhaps this weekend i can try to load just 1 round to see if the bolt locks back
View Quote

So you opened the block to the “wide open” position (same as a standard non-adjustable gas block) without venturing in to bleed-off mode.

Did you attempt to fire any rounds with the adjustment screw any further restricted than that?  Your description doesn’t make that very clear.  In any case, unless the gas port is severely undersized, you should still see at least some BCG movement even with the gas restricted below reliable function.  If you weren’t seeing any BCG movement with the gas block opened up 4 full revolutions (damn near wide open), something else is going on with your gun.  Are you positive the block was installed/aligned correctly?
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 6:51:43 PM EDT
[#12]
the upper was assembled by a gunsmith in la Grange and I was less than satisfied with his work. I had a BCM upper cerekoted and told him the upper is going to be very snug and will probably require a thermal fit, he said it was no problem. i even reminded him of that when I dropped it off and made sure the BCM paper was in there also saying that.

when I picked it up he complained how hard it was to seat the barrel and charged me an extra $10 for assemble because it was difficult. as a bonus he did bore sight my scope.... but did not tighten the scope rings
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top