Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2022 10:43:33 PM EDT
Does anyone have any velocity numbers for 308 Hornady 168gr Amax or eld rounds out of a 16in barrel? I have a match coming up and I’m trying to plug some numbers into streklok. I don’t have a chrono and I was hoping someone might have some data.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 12:50:39 AM EDT
[#1]
A lot depends on details you should share.

For example, are you shooting a factory load, a reload?
What is the recipe for the ammo?
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 11:17:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Factory load.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 11:39:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Due to differences in individual rifle performance, atmospheric and location differences, the only way to get reliable data for your Strelok computations is to use your rifle and ammo, at a similar altitude and barometric pressure of where you intend to shoot.  

Even using the velocity listed on the box of ammo (for example 2650 fps) may be incorrect for your 16 inch barrel at your location.  Your 16 inch barrel at your location may only generate 2400 fps as many ammo makers use longer test barrels than 16 inches....and you still haven't accounted for variations in altitude, barometric pressure, etc.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 9:35:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Due to differences in individual rifle performance, atmospheric and location differences, the only way to get reliable data for your Strelok computations is to use your rifle and ammo, at a similar altitude and barometric pressure of where you intend to shoot.  

Even using the velocity listed on the box of ammo (for example 2650 fps) may be incorrect for your 16 inch barrel at your location.  Your 16 inch barrel at your location may only generate 2400 fps as many ammo makers use longer test barrels than 16 inches....and you still haven't accounted for variations in altitude, barometric pressure, etc.
View Quote

I agree with all of that, but I’m trying to get a ball park instead of saying, it’s 30-50fps per inch of barrel and it’s a 24in barrel from Hornady so I’m somewhere between 240-400 fps subtracted from 2650. I’m not trying to hit a 8in plate at 800. I’m trying to hit some C zone or bigger at a 3gun match out to 500-550yds.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 5:19:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Individual barrels of same length can vary over 100 fps from the same ammo. There are "hot" barrels and "slow" barrels. Old worn barrels tend to have lower velocity. Temperature also effects velocity for most factory powders. You can easily have a 50fps or more swing from summer to winter. Finally the shot to shot velocity variation can be as high as 50 fps from most factory ammo. If you want "within 50 fps" you really need a chronograph and to measure in summer and in winter. That is unfortunately the real answer.

Someone else's data could be as much as 150 fps off from your barrel. Making the use of random people's data little better than a half assed guess. You could take any ammo, assume the figure on the box is a 24" (unless it states otherwise) and cut 25 fps per inch for your barrel length. Then do the same using 50 fps per inch. Rest assured... one of those 2 figures will be "in the ballpark" for your individual barrel in the summer. That works for almost any supersonic rifle caliber.

I reload with temperature stable powders. That means I know my velocity "within 50 fps" all the time, summer or winter. Also I shoot for reload velocity that has a standard deviation of 10 fps or less, while factory ammo is usually over 20 fps standard deviation. High SD does not allow for accurate holds at extended distances.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 1:26:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm surprised that no one has actually answered your question yet. According to hornady, the 168gr ELD-M achieves around 2500 fps out of a 16" barrel. The actual range was 2459 to 2528 fps, from 5 different 16" barrels.

https://www.hornadyle.com/rifle-ammunition/168-gr-eld-match-tap-ar#!/
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 4:55:53 PM EDT
[#7]
@cod0396

Thanks a lot I appreciate that link.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 7:17:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@cod0396

Thanks a lot I appreciate that link.
View Quote

For sure.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top