Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/10/2017 3:37:51 PM EDT
Grey Ghost precision has a 10.5 inch upper with a mid length gas system. I know that a 14.5  middy is supposed to be a sweet set up with low recoil... But Im not sure how having so little dwell time can be good for reliability. http://www.greyghostprecision.com/product-p/ggp-upper-sl10.5.htm  I probably wouldn't spend 1200 bucks for that model but I would settle for a clone if its a reliable system.

Does a 10.5 inch middy sound like a good idea? Or an attempt to solve a problem that doesn't exist by reinventing the wheel.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 3:40:48 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a little short for a mid-length system, IMO. Unless it's going to be a dedicated suppressed rifle.

I'd be more inclined to do an intermediate on a 10.5".
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 3:47:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Midlength gas on a 10.5 barrel is not possible without custom fab parts. The gas port would be almost at the muzzke thread shoulder and theres not room for a common sized gas block...

OP your link states it has a pistol gas system?  Even though the image appears to be carbine length gas...

The rail is described as "midlength".
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 3:48:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's a little short for a mid-length system, IMO. Unless it's going to be a dedicated suppressed rifle.

I'd be more inclined to do an intermediate on a 10.5".
View Quote

Regarding OP,  faxon makes a reported reliable mid length 11.5" barrel.

While gas port size is > gas port location, I do agree that ~1" bore left between gas port and muzzle does sure seem to be the limit.

As mentioned, suppressor or at least a Krink style muzzle brake that provides back pressure would be advisable if I had to make an opinion.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 4:22:39 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a stupid idea, period.
On a 16'' barrel and questionably even a 14.5'' barrel mid length can have it's place and rival or be better than a carbine length in some aspects. Anything shorter and you end up overgassing the gun and using heavier than necessary buffers to operate properly and it ends up far worse in all aspects than just using a carbine length.
A barrel under 14.5'' may be able to work with a mid length but WHY, there is no benefit, only draw backs to it?  Being able to get an AR to work with a mid length just for ships and giggles and it working with an actual improvement in mind are a big difference.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#5]
OP,

Straight from what you linked: 10.5" 5.56 1x8 twist BBL. 11 degree target crown, 1/2-28 threaded muzzle, Black Nitride coating in and out, Pistol length gas.

http://www.greyghostprecision.com/product-p/ggp-upper-sl10.5.htm

As stated, mid length gas system on a 10.5" barrel is impossible.

If you're looking to build a shorty, take a look at Faxon 10.5" carbine gassed pencil, or 11.5" mid-length gassed gunner barrels. I run both, they both run flawless. And during the holiday sales they were CHEAP as dirt too. Win-win.

Good luck
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 4:42:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the Faxon 11.5" mid length barrel. I use it suppressed 100% of the time. It is fussy with regard to gas, even with a suppressor, and requires an adjustable block. Very smooth shooting once you get the gas adjusted right!

As close as the gas block is to the muzzle I can't think a 10.5" mid length would leave enough room for a normal length gas block. And as fussy with gas as the 11.5" is, I don't think a mid length 10.5" wouldbe a good idea.

I also have the Faxon 14.5" mid length. I shoot it suppressed most of the time but it shoots well unsuppressed. Not particularly fussy with gas, though it deserves an adjustable block. Also very smooth shooting.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 11:20:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Midlength gas on a 10.5 barrel is not possible without custom fab parts. The gas port would be almost at the muzzke thread shoulder and theres not room for a common sized gas block...

OP your link states it has a pistol gas system?  Even though the image appears to be carbine length gas...

The rail is described as "midlength".
View Quote
Ah... so it does say pistol length... I saw a review on Youtube from the  "Sage Dynamics" here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xjyJ3yOOc8 Skip to 6:15 if you want to see where he says "it has a midlength Gas system"

I went to the grey ghost precision website and didn't read closely enough, believing this was the same as the one from the video...
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 11:22:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
OP,

Straight from what you linked: 10.5" 5.56 1x8 twist BBL. 11 degree target crown, 1/2-28 threaded muzzle, Black Nitride coating in and out, Pistol length gas.

http://www.greyghostprecision.com/product-p/ggp-upper-sl10.5.htm

As stated, mid length gas system on a 10.5" barrel is impossible.

If you're looking to build a shorty, take a look at Faxon 10.5" carbine gassed pencil, or 11.5" mid-length gassed gunner barrels. I run both, they both run flawless. And during the holiday sales they were CHEAP as dirt too. Win-win.

Good luck
View Quote
Yea I didn't read that closely enough and thought it was the same as the one from this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xjyJ3yOOc8 where he says "It has a midlength as system" at 6:15
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 12:02:47 AM EDT
[#9]
No worries brother!

Also, I want to state both my pistol builds use adjustable gas blocks, LW carriers and reduced power buffer springs. All these make tuning the 10.5/11.5 barrels much easier. Actually, even my carbine length (16.1”) barrel rifles are setup this way too. I love to tinker & tune the MSR/MSP platform.

Just so that ya know..

Rock on,
Jim
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 12:00:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No worries brother!

Also, I want to state both my pistol builds use adjustable gas blocks, LW carriers and reduced power buffer springs. All these make tuning the 10.5/11.5 barrels much easier. Actually, even my carbine length (16.1”) barrel rifles are setup this way too. I love to tinker & tune the MSR/MSP platform.

Just so that ya know..

Rock on,
Jim
View Quote
Me too.... Except I too often find myself tinkering to fix my tinkering.... mostly because I never seem to know where the line of "beneficial tinkering" and "I should just have just left well enough alone" lies
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 12:22:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/ar-15-gas-length-e1495753152529.jpg

Regarding OP,  faxon makes a reported reliable mid length 11.5" barrel.

While gas port size is > gas port location, I do agree that ~1" bore left between gas port and muzzle does sure seem to be the limit.

As mentioned, suppressor or at least a Krink style muzzle brake that provides back pressure would be advisable if I had to make an opinion.
View Quote
Yea... I thought "Maybe if it was a dedicated suppressed upper it would be a good idea"

but unsuppressed it would create the problem it was supposed to fix.

where the benefit of a longer gas system to reduce back pressure.... is negated when in order the longer system with the lower to cycle it needs a larger gas port to increase the amount of gas pressure
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 1:22:23 PM EDT
[#12]
What about the Siphon AGP barrels from SOT? Anyone have experience with them? I see many great reviews on their rifles using their AGP barrels, but I dunno if I am a believer yet..

https://specialopstactical.com/product-category/barrels/
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top