Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2021 8:17:00 PM EDT
Nothing fancy or too high speed, but its been reliable for the 3-4000 rounds that have been through it so far. I'm bad about cleaning my rifles, but I -did- finally clean this one last week when I replaced the handguard with the Midwest Ind. 9.5" Combat Rail...Little bit of lube goes a long way in keeping these things tickin.

Its an Andro Corp 10.3 "Crane Spec" upper that I shaved the FSB down on when I installed the rail pictured. Figured Id keep the pinned gas block over replacing with a set screw one (if it aint broke...)

Toolcraft phosphate BCG...Been my go-to for years...
Colt FCG I had laying around
PRI ambi CH (Love me some PRI)
Geissele H3 buffer with braided wire buffer spring (I've shot the cheapest steel cased ammo to Winchester white box and have never had an issue, suppressed or not....Soft shooter though...

Anyway, you get the idea.

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 9:14:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the same barrel and it's been nothing but good.
Out of all my guns I tend to grab my 10.3 the most, it's just damn fun!
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 9:45:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice, purpose built rifle, you did good

Bronc
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 1:34:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Great pics, solid equipment.  I have not found that barrel brand to be top shelf, but with a 10.3” barrel you only get so much accuracy anyway.  I prefer Colt, FN, Daniel Defense and I. 10.5” LMT and Remington Defense.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 2:01:16 AM EDT
[#4]
All business.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 3:42:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great pics, solid equipment.  I have not found that barrel brand to be top shelf, but with a 10.3" barrel you only get so much accuracy anyway.  I prefer Colt, FN, Daniel Defense and I. 10.5" LMT and Remington Defense.
View Quote
Velocity is the word you are looking for. Length has nothing to do with accuracy. OP, I also have a 10.3 crane spec upper from Andro. Have yet to get it out to the range. Just don't have much desire to shoot right now with ammo prices. Good looking rifle you put together.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 5:52:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice set up, enjoy it.

CD
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 8:03:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Congrats, nice looking rifle.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 5:09:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got the same upper (with a shaved FSB too!) and it's been nothing but great. Sweet blaster.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 12:40:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Another 10.3'r in me state

She's a beauty...I'm building one out with a DD barrel and looking forward to it...just need a few remaining parts.

I totally get the 11.5 craze...but man, 10.3 is where it's at IMHO (granted, I've never fired a proper 11.5 so I could be full of it )
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:24:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I live it
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 4:15:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Sweet and purposeful build! I have the same exact upper from Andro with the Crane spec'd barrel. I love standard FSB's for their simplicity. Great barrel/upper. I paired mine with a parts bin stripped lower from 10+ years ago, furniture, and detachable carry handle for a super utilitarian use build. Anyways, nice build you got there. A pic of mine below...

Link Posted: 5/18/2021 4:39:24 AM EDT
[#12]
10.3" was my first SBR.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 5:40:42 AM EDT
[#13]
looks great. good job.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 11:57:11 PM EDT
[#14]
What is “crane spec”??
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 2:05:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 5:42:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

As far as NSWC CRANE, 10.3”, govt profile, .070” gas port, button rifled, chrome lined, parkerized.

Not sure what that companies actual specs are for it, but the above is what the company is referencing when they say “CRANE spec”
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is “crane spec”??

As far as NSWC CRANE, 10.3”, govt profile, .070” gas port, button rifled, chrome lined, parkerized.

Not sure what that companies actual specs are for it, but the above is what the company is referencing when they say “CRANE spec”

Andro Corp sells a 10.3" nitrided barrel with a 0.070" Crane spec size gas port, made by Ballistic Advantage.

It has an A2 government profile.

Ballistic Advantage sells a chrome lined, phosphate finish version of the same barrel and it too has a 0.070" Crane spec size gas port.

Crane set out to determine the shortest reliable barrel with the most reliable gas port size.

A 10.5" barrel was more reliable than a 10" at that time, before buffer weights other than carbine and H were available.

The 10" barrel required removing the bayonet lug, while the 10.5" barrel did not.

Later in an effort to get the shortest version made, the barrel was shortened to 10.3", which was the shortest that allowed retaining a bayonet lug.

After the H2 and H3 buffers came about, Colt Canada developed a reliable 10" barrel version using the H2 buffer.

So Crane gave us the 10.3" barrel with a 0.070" diameter gas port.

I was involved in a project in the 1980''s to make a reliable 10" barrel.

At that time we didn't even H buffers.

Some hydraulic buffers were being made, but always ended up leaking.

In 1985 Colt came out with the 9mm version.

The early 9mm had a two-piece buffer the same weight as the current H3 buffer.

This was the magic piece in the 1980's we needed to make reliable 10" barrels.

We didn't have M4 feed ramps or extractor spring mods in the 1980's.

Later colt changed the 9mm buffer to a one-piece design to better handle +P 9mm ammunition, but the one-piece 9mm buffer was never very reliable with 5.56, as the two-piece one was.

We had reliable 10" barrels in the 1980's with the two-piece 9mm buffer, but before the 9mm buffer, the 10" barrels weren't as reliable as we wanted.

The Crane 10.3" barrel specs were developed in 1999.

Crane actually worked backwards and started with a M4 and lightened the buffer to Carbine weight to determine the gas port diameter, then later went to heavier buffers.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 4:21:22 PM EDT
[#17]
After reading the information above, I feel I just attended an training class....thanks for the info
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top