Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/22/2018 1:04:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 1:14:20 PM EDT
[#1]
If you were to change the twist rate, I'd think it would be a better idea to do 1/7 or 1/8. As much as it would be cool to have 1/14, I think we're probably the only people who would care. Most people probably don't even know about 1/14 barrels. The fact that your rifles are already 1/12 might already be  off putting to a lot of people.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought one of the 1-14 barrels from Green Mountain for a 601 build. One with the FSB already installed would be nice.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 1:26:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Not putting a w on the barrel unless it’s with other markings so people don’t sell them as originals
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 1:29:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I love your barrels. That being said I think even the 1-12 is not a good option. Why use a 1-12 for a retro when you cant see it? If yall had those retros in 1-7 I would own one.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 2:23:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd buy one because I have yet to find an original Winchester one.  I have two colts.  A reason I wont buy the Green Mountain one is because it is chrome lined, if I remember correctly.  I don't know if you guys can figure out a way to do a cast fsb, but that would be cool too.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 3:18:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Unfortunately I paid more for a Double Star barrel than you guys wanted for your comparable barrel, and that was despite the fact that your barrel is grayer, had taper pins and came with a slip ring, and the only reason I did it was because their barrel was a 1/9 instead of the 1/12 you guys were offering. People who're using reproduction parts usually just want cosmetic accuracy, but the people who want COMPLETE authenticity seem to only want authentic original (mostly Colt) parts. An idea I had that kinda splits the difference would be to have modern twist rates, but have old school stamping where it could be seen (forward of the FSB I guess) and then have the actual stamping under the handguards. So, you could make a 1/7 or 1/9 barrel and put the actual information under the handguard, but then put the old school 1/12 CHROMED (whatever) stamping where it would've been put on an original part.

On the positive side, I REALLY appreciate your willingness to take on doing retro parts and I've ordered as much retro reproduction stuff from you guys as I can. I'm hoping that it catches on and that soon you'll be offering some of the things that are really hard to find on auction sites. That would include stuff like early production (small pad) ejection port covers, no tick selector switches, dimpled pins, etc.

Keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 3:36:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I will add this. For the 601 type barrel assemblies, regardless of twist rate, what would be nice is to have the flashing removed from the FSB since the 601 did not have any flashing. This would give more of a correct look. Also, removing the flashing from the upper receiver and removing the raised markings around the rear sight assembly would make it look more correct look. You guys also need to look into a source that can produce a 601 type port door like this.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 3:36:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not putting a w on the barrel unless it’s with other markings so people don’t sell them as originals
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 5:29:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 6:33:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Just wanted to say thanks for bringing all the retro offerings to market
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 7:17:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone.  
1-7 is definitely noted, and should have our standard 1-7 20" barrels back in-stock soon.
We would not make these barrels with solely the "W" mark.  They'd also have the engraving we've been doing on all retro barrels.  We're not in the business of counterfeits.

Working on the port door.
View Quote
I am surprised only a couple guys even understood what you were doing here....though there is a ton of guys in this forum who DO understand, you just haven't heard them peep up yet.

I think 1/14 is a FANTASTIC IDEA!!!!!!  An early super clone with a 1/14 barrel and the NDS trigger type charging handle would be THE BOMB!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I am surprised only a couple guys even understood what you were doing here....though there is a ton of guys in this forum who DO understand, you just haven't heard them peep up yet.

I think 1/14 is a FANTASTIC IDEA!!!!!!  An early super clone with a 1/14 barrel and the NDS trigger type charging handle would be THE BOMB!!!!!!!!!!
View Quote
I said I would buy one!  So long as its 100% correct.  I personally like the "w" being there but there would have to be some distinguishing marks and I would prefer it not to be chrome lined, just like the originals
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 7:30:14 PM EDT
[#13]
STOP @BROWNELLS i CAN ONLY GET SO ERECT!

There would be a small demand for the 1/14 and I'm not sure how many you'd have to sell to make it profitable.

There would be a far greater demand for a faster twist.

My vote is for a 1/9 but many may prefer the 1/7.

As well as I shoot the 1/9 would be nice and allow me to shoot M193 and M855 minute of paper plate at 100 yards easily.

I have a few 1/7 retros and some 1/9 retros and one of your 1/12 carbine barrel assemblies.

Hell while your at it make all three twists and some 601 uppers without flashing and raised arrow and FOR ST. STONER'S SAKE MAKE THE DETENT UNDER THE  FIRING PORT!

I'd like to see you rebate the slick uppers too. The unrebated uppers aggravate my OCD a bit. Go ahead and rebate some 603 upper too!

WE WANT IT ALL!
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 7:55:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
STOP @BROWNELLS i CAN ONLY GET SO ERECT!

There would be a small demand for the 1/14 and I'm not sure how many you'd have to sell to make it profitable.

There would be a far greater demand for a faster twist.

My vote is for a 1/9 but many may prefer the 1/7.

As well as I shoot the 1/9 would be nice and allow me to shoot M193 and M855 minute of paper plate at 100 yards easily.

I have a few 1/7 retros and some 1/9 retros and one of your 1/12 carbine barrel assemblies.

Hell while your at it make all three twists and some 601 uppers without flashing and raised arrow and FOR ST. STONER'S SAKE MAKE THE DETENT UNDER THE  FIRING PORT!

I'd like to see you rebate the slick uppers too. The unrebated uppers aggravate my OCD a bit. Go ahead and rebate some 603 upper too!

WE WANT IT ALL!
View Quote
I’m sure some would want the 1/14 barrels but I think there’s more of a market for 1/12 & 1/7.

Good that the 1/7 may be available soon. Wish there was a notify when back in stock feature on the Brownells site.

I’d love a 1/9 chrome-lined 20” A1 barrel!

Oh and @Cal30M1 the Brownells slickside uppers are rebated on the front lug. Just got one the other day. What I’d REALLY prefer @Brownells would do is remove the “C” and “A” from the slicksides. Now I gotta grind it off then refinish it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 7:59:50 PM EDT
[#15]
@Brownells

Any chance of A1 length A2 stock bodies?

Real ones are insanely expensive when you do find them.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 8:02:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I would definitely be interested in a 1-14 barrel.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 8:02:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks C6H12O6! I thought I saw that their Retro Line didn't have the indent under the port door.

Might have been an earlier pre mass production model.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 8:04:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I’m sure some would want the 1/14 barrels but I think there’s more of a market for 1/12 & 1/7.

I’d love a 1/9 chrome-lined 20” A1 barrel!

Oh and @Cal30M1 the Brownells slickside uppers are rebated on the front lug. Just got one the other day. What I’d REALLY prefer @Brownells would do is remove the “C” and “A” from the slicksides. Now I gotta grind it off then refinish it.
View Quote
They won't remove the CA. Its the only thing that shows its not an original upper.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 8:13:21 PM EDT
[#19]
@Cal30M1

Quoted:
Thanks C6H12O6! I thought I saw that their Retro Line didn't have the indent under the port door.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

There’s no hole below the ejection port. The rebate I was referring to is on the left-side front lug so you can use it with a 601-Type lower.

Quoted:
@Brownells

Any chance of A1 length A2 stock bodies?

Real ones are insanely expensive when you do find them.
If they would do an A1-length stock made of A2-type material it would only be worth it if it were made properly and not like that Type-D atrocity they’re currently offering.

Quoted:

They won't remove the CA. Its the only thing that shows its not an original upper.
Nodak 604-types don’t have the forge marks. And really I’d be ok with just the split-A mark left intact on the upper. Something about the C & A just is unappealing to me.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I get a chuckle out of those wanting an A2 barrel twist on an A1 or earlier 601 twist.  If you want 1/7 for M855 just do an A2 or M4orgery clone ?. I have only two 1/7 rifles... a Tavor for my son and a 16" midlength...they use strictly M855 ball. All my other AR's are 1/12 with one 1/9. I'm no fan of 1/7 bores for the most part. Like the HV light "boolitz"  with 1/12 in my poodle shooters.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 9:06:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I get a chuckle out of those wanting an A2 barrel twist on an A1 or earlier 601 twist.  If you want 1/7 for M855 just do an A2 or M4orgery clone ?. I have only two 1/7 rifles... a Tavor for my son and a 16" midlength...they use strictly M855 ball. All my other AR's are 1/12 with one 1/9. I'm no fan of 1/7 bores for the most part. Like the HV light "boolitz"  with 1/12 in my poodle shooters.
View Quote
Variety is the spice of life.

I have A2 & A4 clones that have 1/7 Gov’t barrels. But I also have an A4/A1-ish rifle that has a slickside flat-top upper, 20” A1 1/12 BRN barrel, A1 stock & A1 pistol grip. I’d like to do the same gun but in 1/7.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 9:38:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Brownells, I want the barrel you speak of, "W" and all
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 1:22:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Stainless is a misprint correct?  Why would a retro builder want a stainless steel barrel regardless of twist rate?  22LR possibly!
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 4:07:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What is the interest level in a 4 groove, 1-14 twist stainless "Winchester" 601 barrel?  
We would install a standard FSB & slip ring assembly on a production barrel.

Any details we should consider?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126709/IMG_2631-460747.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126709/IMG_2632_JPG-460748.jpg
View Quote
I want a 1/7 chrome lined with FSB installed as well...
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 7:00:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Non chromelined, duck bill flash hider, and the most important part - a cast FSB. I would not  bother bringing a 1/14 to market without the proper FSB, as those are already available from Green Mountain.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 2:56:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Brownells, please note, the early Winny 601 barrels have a thinner outside diameter from the front sight base up to where it flairs at the muzzle.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 3:45:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

+1
View Quote
+1 on Boywonder's comment re no "w" on a repop barrel, unless it is clearly marked elsewhere (engraved preferably) as a reproduction.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 6:08:18 PM EDT
[#28]
+1
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 6:33:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Definitely interested in a 1/14 twist barrel. Just the thing for a 601 clone. As to a 1/7 twist A1 barrel, not so much.
Bill M.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 7:38:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 1:48:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What is the interest level in a 4 groove, 1-14 twist stainless "Winchester" 601 barrel?  
We would install a standard FSB & slip ring assembly on a production barrel.

View Quote
As someone indicated, a "standard FSB" would ruin this attempt at serving the retro community. A big part of the attraction of an early barrel is the cast FSB.  People can't see the twist, but retro people at the range will notice a cast FSB from five lanes away.
Will you also offer a repro duckbill FH?
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 8:24:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Now that I've finally found a way to register on here I can add that, yes 1/14 barrels would be cool.

But also I would like to take this opportunity to implore Brownells to to start offering their carbine-length pencil barrels in 1/7. I'm sure there's a lot of us who would like a 723 or 733 clone.
There is a real scarcity of lightweight 11.5" - 14.5" 1/7 twist carbine barrels on the market right now.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 9:01:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Now that I've finally found a way to register on here I can add that, yes 1/14 barrels would be cool.

But also I would like to take this opportunity to implore Brownells to to start offering their carbine-length pencil barrels in 1/7. I'm sure there's a lot of us who would like a 723 or 733 clone.
There is a real scarcity of lightweight 11.5" - 14.5" 14.7" 1/7 twist carbine barrels on the market right now.
View Quote
Fixed that for ya. Because FUGG tax stamps for .2"!
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 9:24:24 AM EDT
[#34]
My OCD dictates I be able to affix a bayonet.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 9:37:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

As someone indicated, a "standard FSB" would ruin this attempt at serving the retro community. A big part of the attraction of an early barrel is the cast FSB.  People can't see the twist, but retro people at the range will notice a cast FSB from five lanes away.
Will you also offer a repro duckbill FH?
View Quote
I am going to shill for a friend here: The duckbill flash suppressor from Innovative Industries is the best one on the market, being the closest to original shape and contour. Why? Because I loaned the owner my original duckbill and he painstakingly measured, prototyped, and cut metal until his was almost perfect. It is surprisingly affordable too.

Chuck
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 9:39:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Brownells, please note, the early Winny 601 barrels have a thinner outside diameter from the front sight base up to where it flairs at the muzzle.
View Quote
What is the diameter of the Winny barrels in that area? My 1-14 601 barrel is a very early Colt, and knowing the difference would be nice.

PS, I am calling you later today...

Chuck
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 10:47:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My OCD dictates I be able to affix a bayonet.
View Quote
I know that feeling.

It's the only thing that keeps me from redoing my 652.

I like putting the can opener on the end of the rifle.

I even had someone move the bayo lug to the rear of the FSB on my proto middy (like the original had) so I can put the pig sticker on!

It's a sickness that is harder on us with mild to terminal OCD.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 11:14:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Based on what I've seen from lurking around here so long I think I'm *really* in the minority for generally preferring to meet OAL requirements with a pinned extended flash hider vs extended (14.7) barrel length and standard A1/A2.  
A lot of people say the extended FH looks goofy but I think it depends on the make as some of the available ones seem to be *more* extended then they actually need to be. The BCM A2X I have on my GUU-5/P mutt, for instance, doesn't really stand out as looking overly "wrong" to me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 9:58:14 PM EDT
[#39]
I'd like a 1-14 chrome lined please.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 12:40:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Any details we should consider?
View Quote
Please make the slip ring gray, and a cast FSB would be excellent.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 1:45:49 AM EDT
[#41]
FSB journal should be .625, otherwise it would not look right, FSB should also have the flashings removed. I know it would add cost, and  I like the idea of stainless.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 4:19:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Jesus H Christ Brownells.  Bring it!.  1/14 yes.  I am so happy your offering retro stuff now.  Wish you did this a decade ago.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 5:04:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

What is the diameter of the Winny barrels in that area? My 1-14 601 barrel is a very early Colt, and knowing the difference would be nice.

PS, I am calling you later today...

Chuck
View Quote
According to Ekie, the Winchester barrels had showed a diameter of "about .565"" while the Colt-manufactured barrels showed a diameter of "about .575"."
Based on measurements I've gathered, though, the differences tend to be smaller than that range, and of course the barrels were not turned to great consistency.  The section between the FSB and the FH will vary in diameter (i.e. some taper up, some taper down).
Despite the loss of many of the photos, there is some good info (including some measurements I've made) in this thread: https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-/123-605875/?

(Sorry, linking isn't working for some reason.)
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 7:55:14 PM EDT
[#44]
IMHO, these are the critical aspects of this barrel:

1)   Cast front sight base, attached via taper pins
2)   Original twist rate of 1x14”
3)   Unlined (non-chrome lined) chamber and bore
4)   Manganese-phosphate “Parkerized” finish
5)   Standard 20” “pencil” barrel contours
6)   Standard “rifle” barrel extension (not “M4”)
7)   Standard-height front sight base (not “F”)
8)   No “fake Colt/Winchester” markings
9)   Modern markings hidden under handguards
10) No “suppressor undercut” behind the muzzle threads

Note that most of the points on the above list are just “standard A1 pencil barrel” items, which @Brownells already has a handle on.

Make this barrel, and I’ll be building a 601 clone.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 4:24:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
According to Ekie, the Winchester barrels had showed a diameter of "about .565"" while the Colt-manufactured barrels showed a diameter of "about .575"."
Based on measurements I've gathered, though, the differences tend to be smaller than that range, and of course the barrels were not turned to great consistency.  The section between the FSB and the FH will vary in diameter (i.e. some taper up, some taper down).
Despite the loss of many of the photos, there is some good info (including some measurements I've made) in this thread: https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-/123-605875/?

(Sorry, linking isn't working for some reason.)
View Quote
Made hot: https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-/123-605875/?
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 1:27:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Thanks for bringing new stuff to the retro market, and I would love 2 1/14 barrels.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 2:15:50 AM EDT
[#47]
I am a pretty big fan of the 1-14 twist mostly for sentimental reasons and was planning on picking up a couple more from Green Mountain later this year.  But it never hurts to have another maker produce these barrels!  The big improvement you guys could offer is cast FSB if you could find someone to do it you'd have a hot new item that would sell out pretty fast.  I don't see why they'd be that hard or expensive to make either for a larger company but I don't know enough about them to say for sure.

I know it isn't correct but I actually prefer the chrome lined chamber/bore on the 1/14 twist since it isn't really visible unless you inspect closely and I like them for shooters.  I understand why others do not want this for authenticity and Green Mountain was talking about making a batch without chrome if there was enough interest awhile back but don't think it gained much traction.

It's interesting to see all the differences on these early 1-14 barrels and it would be nice to have more information gathered on the subject.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 3:34:20 PM EDT
[#48]
1/14 would be cool as a wall hanger but I would rather be able to shoot 77 grainers out of my A1 builds. Plus, Green Mountain already makes them for a small number of people that actually would buy a 1/14 barrel.

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m14-20-m16-a1-5-56mm-1-14-twist-barrel/
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 4:20:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I am a pretty big fan of the 1-14 twist mostly for sentimental reasons and was planning on picking up a couple more from Green Mountain later this year.  But it never hurts to have another maker produce these barrels!  The big improvement you guys could offer is cast FSB if you could find someone to do it you'd have a hot new item that would sell out pretty fast.  I don't see why they'd be that hard or expensive to make either for a larger company but I don't know enough about them to say for sure.

I know it isn't correct but I actually prefer the chrome lined chamber/bore on the 1/14 twist since it isn't really visible unless you inspect closely and I like them for shooters.  I understand why others do not want this for authenticity and Green Mountain was talking about making a batch without chrome if there was enough interest awhile back but don't think it gained much traction.

It's interesting to see all the differences on these early 1-14 barrels and it would be nice to have more information gathered on the subject.
View Quote
What's the point of buying a 1/14 if it has a chrome lined bore and chamber? If your argument is because you can't see it, then why not get something like a 1/9 or 1/7 twist? If I'm going all out and using an outdated twist rate such as 1/14, I'd rather have it as close as possible.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 4:22:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

What's the point of buying a 1/14 if it has a chrome lined bore and chamber? If your argument is because you can't see it, then why not get something like a 1/9 or 1/7 twist? If I'm going all out and using an outdated twist rate such as 1/14, I'd rather have it as close as possible.
View Quote
I feel the same way.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top