Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 10:18:52 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I've seen that the cops here on base in their armory still have a M12 Winchester Trench gun...

Yeah, they're still out there.

The unit I was in until late '01 had a dozen Winchester 1200s (WW 2 production?) complete with heat shields and M1917 bayonets.  We'd fam-fire them every year, then lock them back up.  We did stab an elk to death with one of the bayonets (on the end of a mop handle)  when a hunter wounded it and it jumped the fence into the no-guns-allowed ammunition storage area...  Is there an uber-retro award for reverting to the 13th century?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:58:56 AM EDT
[#2]

My OD poncho and rain gear never smelled like mothballs.  They always had that bad-cheese/puke smell...

Never in the service, but we get your cast-offs thru DRMO and those poncho are three different kinds of stink!  YIKES!!

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 12:01:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I remember the old gumby suits, the green wet weather gear that stuck together... Now that shit stunk...
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 1:10:03 PM EDT
[#4]

oh, remember the CEOI (?

Oh yeah,, Now I'm gettin Misty.
All the good shit is comin back
PRC 77's
GammaGoats (always loved the name)
M3 and M3A1 grease guns (GM Guide lamp)
M1911A1's (Singer and rem/Rand)
M-2's (AC Spark Plug)
Loved the OG-107's
C-rats (Beans and Baby heads...Hmmnn)
I went thru Basic in 83 and got issued 1 OD field jacket and one of them new fangled HSLD Woodland camo Field jackets.
Got to try the first 12 original MRE's out at the NTC. Half the company got sick drinkin the water they used to heat up the meal (Like they told anybody when they handed them out)
Dehydrated potato patties (Yum Yum)
Spagetti straps
5 buckle black over boots
M25A1 Pro mask
I was on M60A3's on Active and when I got to my reserve unit they had M48A5's...
Anyone remember the GOER???

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 1:31:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Anyone remember the GOER???

Wasn't that the old "crane-cab-pulling-a-truck-bed" job that was replaced by the hemmit (HEMTT, IIRC)?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:51:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

oh, remember the CEOI (?

Oh yeah,, Now I'm gettin Misty.
All the good shit is comin back
PRC 77's - worked on them a lot
GammaGoats (always loved the name)
M3 and M3A1 grease guns (GM Guide lamp)- carried one during DS!
M1911A1's (Singer and rem/Rand) - mine was a Rem/Rand, and rattled so bad, it wasn't funny
M-2's (AC Spark Plug)
Loved the OG-107's
C-rats (Beans and Baby heads...Hmmnn)
I went thru Basic in 83 and got issued 1 OD field jacket and one of them new fangled HSLD Woodland camo Field jackets. Still have my OD hanging in the hallcloset
Got to try the first 12 original MRE's out at the NTC. Half the company got sick drinkin the water they used to heat up the meal (Like they told anybody when they handed them out)
Dehydrated potato patties (Yum Yum) or Dehydrated Beef or Pork Patty!
Spagetti straps In the bottom of the closet, strapped onto the Extreme Cold bag...
5 buckle black over boots Issued when I first got to Germany, worn once, stayed in the locker the rest of the time
M25A1 Pro mask M17A1 at first
I was on M60A3's on Active and when I got to my reserve unit they had M48A5's...
Anyone remember the GOER??? Saw acres of them in `88 when we went to turn in our Jeeps for new Hummers.....

First issued an XM16E1 when I first got to Germany
The OD-green wet weather gear with the funky smell that everybody is mentioning
Extreme-Cold Weather sleeping bags
Shelter halves
1951(?) Parkas with the fuzzy off-white colored liner
Wool overpants w/ liners as the bottom have of the cold weather gear (never did wear them)
PRC-25s & 77s & their vehicular mount bases
AN/GRC-46/47/49 series radios
GRC-106 RATT rigs
AN/GRA-39 remote systems - I could troubleshoot them in my sleep
KY-57 Crypto gear w/ the KYK-13 load devices
CEOIs
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:54:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
oh, remember the CEOI (?)

CEOI...wow I had forgotten about that.
I AUTHENTICATE, ALPHA-ZULU-FOXTROT-SIERRA.....
what a pain that was....

Remember what "Fun" it was if someone misplaced one lol

Or explaining to Top why you have to open the ComVault after duty hours - as you got home, and
realized that you still had the CEOI in your front pocket, dummy-corded around your neck
(Let's say that he wasn't happy....... and even less so with the 1LT who closed up shop w/o realizing
that he still have one out, and never realized that it was missing!
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:07:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've seen that the cops here on base in their armory still have a M12 Winchester Trench gun...

Yeah, they're still out there.

The unit I was in until late '01 had a dozen Winchester 1200s (WW 2 production?) complete with heat shields and M1917 bayonets.  We'd fam-fire them every year, then lock them back up.  We did stab an elk to death with one of the bayonets (on the end of a mop handle)  when a hunter wounded it and it jumped the fence into the no-guns-allowed ammunition storage area...  Is there an uber-retro award for reverting to the 13th century?

The Winchester M12 and M1200 are different shotguns.  The M12 is a post WWI shotgun and used throughout WWII and Korea.  The M1200 came out during the Vietnam war and was replaced either by the Mossberg M590 or Benelli M1004.  New shotguns now mount either the M7 or M9 bayonets.  Remember taking ours out to the skeet range several times.

CD
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:32:54 AM EDT
[#9]
How about a M67 90mm Recoiless Rifle!!! Carried that for 3 years at 2nd Batt.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:49:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Active duty Marines:

as late as 2000

PRC 77 (Prick 77) radios
Gumby suits
Shelter Halves
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top