BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/4/2008 11:21:47 AM EDT
[#1]
My lightest so far, is an A1 upper with M4 Gov profile barrel.  Weighs in at 5 lb 15 oz empty.  

My next lightest is a flat top M4 profiled barrel with an EOTech and Troy BUIS.  6lb 12oz

My lightest AKM type carbine weighs in at 6 lb 7oz empty.

Each is quite handy, and I don't know how much lighter I could go and still count on them working when needed.
Link Posted: 2/4/2008 2:52:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I saw a post where someone from Calvary Arms stated that you couldn't cut off the buttstock and thread the receiver ring for a standard collapsing stock. (That blew what I considered one of my better untried ideas)

I don't think you could "hog out" enough material to make a significant weight difference.

PursuitSS  

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=61&t=157395

in the pic where you can see through it the buffer tube has its own areacould yo cut out everything under it back to the slot for the sling? as far as not making a difference weight wise drillin out the center of pins and the bolt release??
Link Posted: 2/4/2008 7:12:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I saw a post where someone from Calvary Arms stated that you couldn't cut off the buttstock and thread the receiver ring for a standard collapsing stock. (That blew what I considered one of my better untried ideas)

I don't think you could "hog out" enough material to make a significant weight difference.

PursuitSS  

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=61&t=157395

in the pic where you can see through it the buffer tube has its own areacould yo cut out everything under it back to the slot for the sling? as far as not making a difference weight wise drillin out the center of pins and the bolt release??

I tend to get a little (a lot?) carried away! You can remove a lot of plastic and still not match removing a little steel. It might be worth a try as long as you SECURELY epoxy a butt pad on to try and make up for the structural loss.

PursuitSS    
Link Posted: 2/4/2008 7:43:18 PM EDT
[#4]
i wasnt actually recommending it... after all a truck gun would need some stabilty.. if i had all kinds of extra cash i would consider tryin it for shits and giggles then wrap the remaining area where the buffer tube would be with 550 cord.
Link Posted: 2/6/2008 8:47:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I guess Bush was correct in making that Carbon line of guns

they have it just above 4lbs ..

www.bushmaster
Link Posted: 2/6/2008 8:58:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Man of they ideas are full of fail.

Carbon fiber does not belong in an upper, and only with proper reinforcement in the lower.

A MUR is heavier than a regular.  Steve at ADCO sells a plug that wil fill in the forward assist so you can take the steel parts out- but  Baer upper is better.

The barrel is the easiest place to save weight.

The lower weighs about 8 oz.  You could probably get one more off with a good machinist.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2008 10:17:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Carbon fiber does not belong in an upper, and only with proper reinforcement in the lower.

A MUR is heavier than a regular.  Steve at ADCO sells a plug that wil fill in the forward assist so you can take the steel parts out- but  Baer upper is better.

The lower weighs about 8 oz.  You could probably get one more off with a good machinist.  

AGREED!!! The current "carbon fiber" uppers & lowers are nothing more than a CHEAP PLASTIC! I do have a rifle built out of this crap but it's a "toy", nothing more.

This is not to say that someone couldn't manufacture a great receiver out of carbon fiber but it would have to be real long strand carbon fiber mat. Plus the cost would be outrageous.

PursuitSS
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 5:12:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Just incase, this thread has a follow-on thread by PersuitSS here.
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 8:09:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

So should I scrap my plans to cross-drill the barrel in order to lose a few ounces?

I still need to get a scale to weigh my lightweight setup. I am sure it won't be a record, but it is built with off-the-shelf, easy-to-find parts.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 11:29:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I would be looking at a copy of the Colt 653/Air Force GUU-5/P

Link Posted: 3/3/2008 11:52:44 AM EDT
[#11]
IIRC, I got down to 5 lb. 2 oz empty weight.

Bushy Superlight Barrel with a standard FSB and A1 flash hideer (now you could use CMMG's 14.7" pencil carbine barrel with a shaved FSB and fixed A1 flash hider to shave off 5 or 6 more ounces)

Les Baer Ultimate flat-top upper without forward assist (7 oz)

Clark Custom Guns carbon fiber free float tube with Al barrrel nut cut to carbine length (4 ounces, including barrel nut)

DPMS chromed slick-side bolt carrier (could have used an open back Colt to save a little more weight without compromising reliability too much)

Standard bolt and buffer

Cav Arms Mk II lower

Cav Arms fixed rear BUIS (the lightest available when I did my build).  If you shave the FSB or use a low profile gas block, you need to add a front BUIS.  I suppose you could ditch iron sights altogether and rely on the 2.3 oz OKO 4W red dot or the 3.7 oz. Aimpoint T1 . . .

Link Posted: 3/3/2008 11:53:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

photos.templarfirearms.com/albums/userpics/10001/normal_gau_13.jpg

That's what I'm takling about--light weight, simple, practical . . .

ETA - Now you've got me thinking about my next build.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 3:40:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

That's a sexy little beast!

I have a thing for A1 uppers for some reason; I have an A3 on my "tacticool'd" M4gery but I really want to do something like that with my CavAid lower.

Thinking A1 upper with 14.5 perma-Phantom pencil barrel.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 4:34:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I agree 100%, here is my modern parts equivalent.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 5:24:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Just finished my 733 replica.  It weighs in at 5 lbs 14.8 oz less mag:

Link Posted: 3/7/2008 5:26:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Colt 11.5" lightweight barrel.

Link Posted: 3/7/2008 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#17]
You dirty rotten rat bastards!

First, I invest a bundle building a tacticool M4gery.  Then, I put together a KISS carbine.  Just today, I swapped for a retro AR.  Now, you have me thinking about building a featherweight AR next.

BRD is an expensive, never-ending sickness . . . and I blame all y'all for it!

What we need is a class-action suit to help us strickin with this awful disease to fund our ailment!
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 6:33:03 PM EDT
[#18]
These are pretty light.

Link Posted: 3/7/2008 7:19:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I'm takling about--light weight, simple, practical . . .

ETA - Now you've got me thinking about my next build.

I just scored a Fulton slick-side upper on the EE.  I'll be going with the CMMG 14.7" pencil barrel, the Young Mfg slick-side "SP1" BCG and an NDS16A1 lower with an Essential Arms repro of the 2 position stock.  God damn BRD - I'm having a relapse.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 8:15:41 PM EDT
[#20]

5lb 1.2oz
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 8:26:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I never weighed it, but this was pretty light:

Link Posted: 3/7/2008 8:34:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Simple Ultralight

Vltor MUR-1S (or Les Baer flat-top)
YHM Lightweight NM carrier
HiperForm ultra light carbine handguard
CMMG ultralight 14.5 with phantom (For a bit more money, you can get a Lija in the same profile from a good smith)
PRI front sight
KAC 300m rear
Fiberlight CAR stock with SP-1 buffer and spring
Standard lower, bolt, LPK

4.68 pounds

-=getting insane=-
Using a CAV lower will get you down around - 3.9
Carbon Fiber upper with an aluminum buffer+over power spring + CAV - 3.8
Stainless 14.5 barrel lathed down to .600 + above + ditch irons - 3.7
Getting under that starts taking serious work

The MUR is not particularly light.  It isn't any lighter than a regular flattop upper; I'd be willing to bet that the LaRue billet upper is lighter.
Link Posted: 3/8/2008 5:20:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Right around 6lbs.

Link Posted: 3/8/2008 5:52:08 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Simple Ultralight

Vltor MUR-1S (or Les Baer flat-top)
YHM Lightweight NM carrier
HiperForm ultra light carbine handguard
CMMG ultralight 14.5 with phantom (For a bit more money, you can get a Lija in the same profile from a good smith)
PRI front sight
KAC 300m rear
Fiberlight CAR stock with SP-1 buffer and spring
Standard lower, bolt, LPK

4.68 pounds

-=getting insane=-
Using a CAV lower will get you down around - 3.9
Carbon Fiber upper with an aluminum buffer+over power spring + CAV - 3.8
Stainless 14.5 barrel lathed down to .600 + above + ditch irons - 3.7
Getting under that starts taking serious work

The MUR is not particularly light.  It isn't any lighter than a regular flattop upper; I'd be willing to bet that the LaRue billet upper is lighter.

It doesn't get any lighter in an aluminum receiver than Rock River's 9mm flat top upper (cut for a gas tube). NOW, if only Rock River would ship the receivers I have on order so that I can machine them for a gas tube!

PursuitSS
Link Posted: 3/8/2008 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

It doesn't get any lighter in an aluminum receiver than Rock River's 9mm flat top upper (cut for a gas tube). NOW, if only Rock River would ship the receivers I have on order so that I can machine them for a gas tube!

PursuitSS

Have you considered machining the brass deflector hump off of the Les Baer "Ultimate Flat-Top" uppers with no forward assists?  I don't know if the operation would be easier or harder than cutting 9mm uppers for a gas tube, but it might be worth considering...
Link Posted: 3/8/2008 10:46:07 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Have you considered machining the brass deflector hump off of the Les Baer "Ultimate Flat-Top" uppers with no forward assists?  I don't know if the operation would be easier or harder than cutting 9mm uppers for a gas tube, but it might be worth considering...

Aluminum doesn't weigh enough for that to be cost effective.
Link Posted: 3/8/2008 12:16:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

PursuitSS

Basically, been there, done that! This is an old Colt flat top that I milled the brass deflector off of and the forward assist. I then TIG'ed the forward assist hole closed and Krylon'ed it. NEVER AGAIN!!! WWWWWAAAAAYYYYY too much work.

PursuitSS
Link Posted: 3/8/2008 1:26:36 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Basically, been there, done that! This is an old Colt flat top that I milled the brass deflector off of and the forward assist. I then TIG'ed the forward assist hole closed and Krylon'ed it. NEVER AGAIN!!! WWWWWAAAAAYYYYY too much work.

i135.photobucket.com/albums/q125/PursuitSS/DSC01353.jpg

PursuitSS

Nice. for the record, I appreciate all that went into that.
Link Posted: 3/8/2008 7:00:49 PM EDT
[#29]
I agree--I just used the Les Baer upper and called it good.
Link Posted: 3/9/2008 7:46:11 AM EDT
[#30]
For the hardcore:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=25695
"Titanium bolt carrier weighs 40% less than standard steel carrier for faster, more efficient cycling and quicker follow up shots. Tough, high-lubricity Ionbond DiamondBlack coating is highly resistant to wear, with an exceptionally low friction coefficient that further aids cycling speed. Finish also resists fouling and makes cleaning easier. Precision machined from aircraft-grade 6AL-4V titanium for a match-grade fit that ensures precise alignment with upper receiver for a better gas seal and more consistent bolt lockup. Requires substantially less gas pressure than standard bolt, so an adjustable gas block is recommended. Includes pre-installed gas key."
Link Posted: 4/22/2008 12:43:39 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AGREED!!! The current "carbon fiber" uppers & lowers are nothing more than a CHEAP PLASTIC! I do have a rifle built out of this crap but it's a "toy", nothing more.

This is not to say that someone couldn't manufacture a great receiver out of carbon fiber but it would have to be real long strand carbon fiber mat. Plus the cost would be outrageous.

PursuitSS

The lightweight build referenced earlier is mine.  I still have all of it, but I had to replace the upper receiver when the barrel threads melted on me. Melted threads thread
Link Posted: 4/22/2008 1:39:02 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

The lightweight build referenced earlier is mine.  I still have all of it, but I had to replace the upper receiver when the barrel threads melted on me. Melted threads thread

There was a reference in your thread by another member as to "This is what real carbon fiber looks like". The pictures are now "blown", do you remember if they were pics of an AR-15 receiver made out of REAL carbon fiber???? He indicated the items were "in testing".

PursuitSS
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top