BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 6:57:15 PM EDT
[#1]
If it was free I'd put up with it. Other than that it'd be going back.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 7:06:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like it might be a reaction of two or more different cleaning chemicals.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 7:16:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Does it go boom? That's all that matters, the finish is cosmetic and will not affect the function. My Noveske uppers I just purchased looked like that, simple clean it a few times. Looks dry or it's a chemical reaction with prior cleaning attempts.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 7:18:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like a previous owner tried to clean it with a very costic solvent that messed up the coating/finish. Probably why they were so eager to unload it on Gunbroker.  I could be wrong, but I doubt Armalite will replace this operator screw up. You might as well paint it camo and be done with it!
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 7:40:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I got my Noveske about a month before they started giving away cosmetic lowers.  I assume that before they started giving them away, they were using them because mine has what appears to be a brush mark on it like someone dragged a steel brush against the receiver and there is a tiny chip on the lower where the lower and upper come together.  It also has some ugly tool marks on the inside of the upper too.  

My Bushmaster A2 Target, which I bought four months earlier, has a much better fit and finish than my Noveske.  I was going to say something about it to Noveske but I didn't want to nit pick.  That Noveske is sitting in my safe, still unused.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 11:00:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Put some oil on it.  It looks dry.

I oil it and it looks better for a hour or so then the blotches come back.

Looks to me like a dirty anodization process. Probably some contamination in the tanks...I see this type of thing at work all the time.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 12:36:32 AM EDT
[#7]
That is not normal. Honestly I would not worry about it, but since Armalite is trying to pass it off as "normal" I would send it back based on principle.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 12:48:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Did you pay full price?  Send it back if you're not happy.  I'd tear it apart and soak it in alcohol because in the pics it looks like oil.  If I got a deal on it I'd just duracoat it and be happy.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 4:46:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Were you able to inspect or view pictures of this rifle before you bought it?

If you paid for it new,  I would have them replace it.  No sense paying full price for something that is not detailed out.  It might be fine if you paint it and it may function fine but it is a principal thing.  Either that or have them give you some cash back.

I just looked at it again and that finish is terrible.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 5:00:06 AM EDT
[#10]
degrease
oil with brakefree LP (it's CLP without the C)
DON'T put it back in a foam case

foam WILL do exactly what you're seeing, egg crate or any soft porous foam will absorb any oil like a sponge
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 5:17:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Does it go boom? That's all that matters, the finish is cosmetic and will not affect the function. My Noveske uppers I just purchased looked like that, simple clean it a few times. Looks dry or it's a chemical reaction with prior cleaning attempts.

I gotta disagree. The finish is there to protect the aluminum underneath it. I wouldn't care about looks either but I want the anodizing to be right.

That rifle just don't look right.

BSW
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 5:19:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Looks like it's been cleaned with brake/carb cleaner and it's a dirty dry film-

Have you tried washing it off w/ dawn soap "scrubbing" it off- let it dry- and then oil it again?

Link Posted: 2/26/2010 5:41:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not a cosmetics kinda guy but if the finish looks like that after cleaning and oiling, something is not right with the anodizing.

I'd return it. BSW

this.  Normally, I'm on the "its a tool" bandwagon, but that looks terrible.

+1
Scratches, dings, and marks give it character.
But coming from the factory thats unacceptable and I'd be pissed at the dude who sold it also

+1
Send it back

Link Posted: 2/26/2010 5:50:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 5:58:33 AM EDT
[#15]

i'm having a really hard time believing that there are this many people posting in a TECHNICAL forum, that don't know what dry anodizing looks like.

seriously. oil it, let it sit. if it dries out, oil it again. it WILL even out as soon as it takes in as much oil as the surrounding areas have.

Link Posted: 2/26/2010 6:30:58 AM EDT
[#16]
to hell with it send it to me and i will give it a nice home here in georgia
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 6:55:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I oil it and it looks better for a hour or so then the blotches come back.

Then send it back. Or send it back to the manf.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 8:32:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Looks like s custom Artic Camo finish to me!
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 8:40:58 AM EDT
[#19]
liberal oil
hit it with a heat gun. not until it smokes, just get it good and warm
let the oil sit on it over night
If that doesn't work say fuck it and shoot the thing
over time of using it and running it wet you might be surprised at how less drastic the color differences look

the heat gun will work though
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 8:42:42 AM EDT
[#20]
One more for "in my book, that's unacceptable."

Send it back.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 8:54:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Some of the statements on here are so retarded it hurts.

That is what guns look like NIB ALL THE TIME.

Once it gets saturated with oil, like the rest of the finish, it'll be OK.

The discoloration is from the foam sucking out the oil, and rubbing against it.

oil it real good, scrub on it with a nylon brush, wipe with a lint free cloth, and soak W/ oil.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 8:55:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Update?
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 9:05:17 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Armalite says this is normal.

I guess normal is a relative term but let's just say I've seen that before and you shouldn't need to replace it. I had an LMT upper and a lower just like that and when I posted about here, I found others who have had other receivers from other companies with the same issue. So in that sense, it is somewhat normal.

Quoted:

CLP will fix that.

Hoppes and CLP will not "fix it" I tried crap loads of CLP to "fix" mine but no dice. After posting here I found out that Rem-Oil in the aerosol can is the "fix". Spray it on heavy and leave it there (do not wipe off the excess) for a couple of hours (or better yet, overnight). Wipe it off in the morning and it will look great. Now in a couple of days to a week it might start looking like that again. If it does, give it another coating of Rem-Oil like before. After that I bet it will never look like that again. At least try is before fighting with Armalite and going through the hassle of getting it exchanged.

You are incorrect, CLP will fix it. The white stuff is usually a result of a RESIDUE that is left behind from whatever product is used on the lower. Rem Oil has some residue. A complete cleaning and liberal application will remove the white residue from the pores of the parkerizing.

Link Posted: 2/26/2010 9:06:35 AM EDT
[#24]
False information.

Quoted:

Looks like a previous owner tried to clean it with a very costic solvent that messed up the coating/finish. Probably why they were so eager to unload it on Gunbroker.  I could be wrong, but I doubt Armalite will replace this operator screw up. You might as well paint it camo and be done with it!

Link Posted: 2/26/2010 9:08:05 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm not surprised at all. People in the tech forums constantly spout poor or false information with zero first hand knowledge or experience.

Quoted:
i'm having a really hard time believing that there are this many people posting in a TECHNICAL forum, that don't know what dry anodizing looks like.

seriously. oil it, let it sit. if it dries out, oil it again. it WILL even out as soon as it takes in as much oil as the surrounding areas have.

Link Posted: 2/26/2010 9:36:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It was NIB from a reputable dealer.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 9:38:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Were you able to inspect or view pictures of this rifle before you bought it?

If you paid for it new,  I would have them replace it.  No sense paying full price for something that is not detailed out.  It might be fine if you paint it and it may function fine but it is a principal thing.  Either that or have them give you some cash back.

I just looked at it again and that finish is terrible.

I never keep my firearms in the foam cases.  I use gun socks when they are in the safe.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 9:39:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm not surprised at all. People in the tech forums constantly spout poor or false information with zero first hand knowledge or experience.
Quoted:

+1

I've had over a dozen stripped lowers come in looking like this.  Heavy coat of CLP applied directly to the rcvr and spread w/ a finger, place in a ziplock, forget about it for a week, problem solved.

Link Posted: 2/26/2010 9:50:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some dumb ass thought he would paint it in camo. Realized he was much to stupid to perform this.

And removed it the best a stupid ass could. And then sold it to you.

Sorry the truth can hurt sometimes.

It came from a reputable dealer.  It had never been transferred before it came to me.  Man, I thought I was distrustful.  

I agree with Mortamer.

Who is this reputable Gun Broker dealer?
How much did you pay?

Armalite from reputable dealer looks like this:
Pic taken after 500 rounds. It's AR 15 not  AR10 like yours.

Link Posted: 2/26/2010 9:53:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Reitereating what's been emntioned; Oil it, and let it sit.  The finish is porous, and needs time to absorb the oil.  A coat for 30 minutes then wiped away is not sufficient time for the oil to absorb into the coating.

ETA: as far as "send it back" comments, it's been USED by the OP.  Would any of you refund the money for something a guy bought new from you and used?  I don't think so.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 10:14:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Send the piece of shit back.never buy from them again,buy a COLT!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 10:58:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Well depending on when it was made, how long it was in storage. The rifle case that it sits in has foam...

The foam will absorb the oil off the rifle drying it out. The anodizing being porous, needs oil, so it will take a few coats of oil to bring the finish back out.

But there is nothing wrong.

THIS.

It may take a few coats but it will turn black eventually.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 10:59:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/26/2010 11:06:25 AM EDT
[#34]
You are incorrect. This is not a used or formerly painted receiver. This is common with anodizing and parkerizing and just needs to be oiled properly for the finish to absorb what it needs to be even.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some dumb ass thought he would paint it in camo. Realized he was much to stupid to perform this.

And removed it the best a stupid ass could. And then sold it to you.

Sorry the truth can hurt sometimes.

It came from a reputable dealer.  It had never been transferred before it came to me.  Man, I thought I was distrustful.  

I agree with Mortamer.

Who is this reputable Gun Broker dealer?

How much did you pay?

Armalite from reputable dealer looks like this:

Pic taken after 500 rounds. It's AR 15 not  AR10 like yours.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m123/Bulldog257/LMT-Armalite-06A.jpg

Link Posted: 2/26/2010 11:30:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This!

Oil is cheap, use it!

Link Posted: 2/26/2010 1:10:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Some of the statements on here are so retarded it hurts.

That is what guns look like NIB ALL THE TIME.

Once it gets saturated with oil, like the rest of the finish, it'll be OK.

The discoloration is from the foam sucking out the oil, and rubbing against it.

oil it real good, scrub on it with a nylon brush, wipe with a lint free cloth, and soak W/ oil.

And LOL. Might need multiple coats.

Anyways, amazing there are so many "expects" here.....

Link Posted: 2/26/2010 1:45:56 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

normal my ass...send it back

Link Posted: 2/26/2010 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Colt doesn't even make a rifle like the OPs.

Link Posted: 2/26/2010 2:08:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Hit it with clp.  Let it sit drenched.  Next day drench it again.  I have gone through this many times with many different brands.  The common thread is the stuff is shipped from a dealer in a foam type case or plastic bag.  Let the CLP work on it.  It will be black as black can be after a few cycles.  Leave the oil on.  Don't rub it off right away.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 2:14:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Honestly looks like the finish needs oil. Lub it and then see what it looks like.

If it looks the same then No I would not accept that.

He already said he put oil on it and it lasted an hour before going back.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 2:40:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Honestly looks like the finish needs oil. Lub it and then see what it looks like.

If it looks the same then No I would not accept that.

He already said he put oil on it and it lasted an hour before going back.

He needs to keep doing it
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 3:05:17 PM EDT
[#42]
You better know how to separate the wheat from the chaff in this thread.

I cant believe the shark bite FSB got a pass and people cant understand this rifle just needs some oil

Link Posted: 2/26/2010 3:09:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My AR 10 looked like that when it was new in the case also.  I just added oil.  The finish on Armalite rifles is not the glossy black you see on other ARs and when it gets dry and collects lint/dust it looks like that.  Personally I like the finish better than the glossier ones.

Here is the finish on the M15 I picked up the same day.  Big difference.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t34/BSTOCK-GTO/AR10Finish007.jpg" target="_blank">http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t34/BSTOCK-GTO/AR10Finish007.jpg</a>

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t34/BSTOCK-GTO/AR10Finish006.jpg" target="_blank">http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t34/BSTOCK-GTO/AR10Finish006.jpg</a>http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t34/BSTOCK-GTO/AR10Finish004.jpg" target="_blank">http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t34/BSTOCK-GTO/AR10Finish004.jpg</a>

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t34/BSTOCK-GTO/AR10Finish004.jpg" target="_blank">http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t34/BSTOCK-GTO/AR10Finish004.jpg</a>

Here is my AR10, it looked JUST like yours when it was NIB, I oiled it and it looks like this now:

http://i49.tinypic.com/5f3db9.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/2a6tjll.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/2mi0ncm.jpg

It seems whenever I put it back in the factory foam case it dried it out again and I had to reoil.

For comparison, here is a Bushmaster:

http://i47.tinypic.com/169n6z9.jpg

Looks similar to the M15 you posted.  Maybe AR10s just have a "drier" finish?

I was going to suggest this. I imagine if you oil it up well it will "look nicer", however if it functions just fine, personally I wouldn't care...
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 3:37:43 PM EDT
[#44]
I left the Rem Oil on for 20 hours and wiped it down.  Waited a couple of hours and it still looks good.  I gave it another spray down of Rem Oil and a scrub with a nylon brush and will leave this coat on for a few days, wipe it down and take it out to the range.  If the spots come back after it's heated up I will deal with it then.  I think I will be OK though.  The rifle functions perfectly and is accurate as hell.  I think it's going to be fine.  BTW, If I gave out the gun shop name I would be doing them a disservice.  I never complained to them or gave them a chance to exchange the rifle.  The name would be recognized by all.  They only do a few auctions on Gunbroker but sell a ton of firearms online.  Over the years I have bought about 20 new firearms and many accessories from them and they have been very professional and honest.  The forum worked great and the most suggestions have been very helpful.  This sure beats sending back a perfectly good rifle.  I will post back after I give it a little range time.  Thanks to all.   BTW, I paid $1250. for the rifle.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 3:43:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I left the Rem Oil on for 20 hours and wiped it down.  Waited a couple of hours and it still looks good.  I gave it another spray down of Rem Oil and a scrub with a nylon brush and will leave this coat on for a few days, wipe it down and take it out to the range.  If the spots come back after it's heated up I will deal with it then.  I think I will be OK though.  The rifle functions perfectly and is accurate as hell.  I think it's going to be fine.  BTW, If I gave out the gun shop name I would be doing them a disservice.  I never complained to them or gave them a chance to exchange the rifle.  The name would be recognized by all.  They only do a few auctions on Gunbroker but sell a ton of firearms online.  Over the years I have bought about 20 new firearms and many accessories from them and they have been very professional and honest.  The forum worked great and the most suggestions have been very helpful.  This sure beats sending back a perfectly good rifle.  I will post back after I give it a little range time.  Thanks to all.   BTW, I paid $1250. for the rifle.  

Must have been Bud's with that price.

I got mine from them also and paid about the same back in '07, and like I posted previoiusly the finish looked just like yours but looks great ever since it absorbed oil.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 4:10:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Negative
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 4:18:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Looks like a new camo option. Considering how long it takes to get an AR10 from them I would most likely keep it. I've never seen an AR10 before. The gun stores near where I live ordered a few 2 years ago and they still haven't come in.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 4:18:59 PM EDT
[#48]
At least yours didn't look like this

Link Posted: 2/26/2010 4:22:46 PM EDT
[#49]
I love the guys who say "as long as it hit paper at 50 yards you're fine", "who cares what it looks like, it's a battle rifle".
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 4:35:37 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm late to the party, but I had two AR-15 uppers from Armalite when they had their 12 days of Christmas sale 2 years ago.  Both had the dry/whitish spots on them, CLP liberally used and they went away and never came back.

Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top