User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:39:13 AM EDT
[#1]
cgv69,

Nothing personal, but there are certain names on this board that carry credibility.  In my case, the list is quite short, and Mongo is one of the very few on it.

Calling him as making up BS isn't a great way to try and make your point.  While you may have had  knowledge about the subject matter, as soon as you made it into a personal attack, you lost any credibility you might have had.  Just something to think about.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:14:25 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Honestly, I think all these "What is best?" threads are pretty damn silly. They should be labeling them"What is your favorite?".

I agree with that and will add that many will contribute "Which is the cheapest" without actually saying it.

BUT in one of the rare cases defying the "You get what you pay for" rule, the Stag receivers are probably the least expensive receivers out there and, IMO, are higher quality than MEGA, RRA and a few other inexpensive receivers.  I always balked on the Stag receivers because of the silly dear head roll mark, but now that I have a couple and have seen the quality of the receiver, the deer head issue is all but dead for me.  I still prefer Bushmaster and buy them when I find them reasonable, but if I wanted a good quality, inexpensive receiver I can trash around, refinish in some color or whatever, I'd not hesitate to get a Stag or three.

Stag Stripped Receivers - 3 for $240 or $80 each

How can you say the Stag lower is higher quality than the RRA? They are exactly the same! The only difference is the roll marks

Granted, the Stags are ~$20-$25 cheaper so value wise they are the better deal but I can not and probably never will get past that stupid roll mark so I'll waste the extra $25 on the RRA lowers.

Just like this:  Stag lower receivers are higher quality that RRA.  It's that simple.

Whoever does the Stags takes more time to clean them up.  If you want a "pretty looking" receiver, the Stag is for you.  I also hear of fewer, if any, tight Stag lowers, like the PITA RRAs.  YMMV.

Where are you coming up with that BS from? Last time this came up you claimed you never owned an RRA lower but now you are somehow claiming that Stags are cleaned up better then RRA's??? Come on Mongo, I expect better from you.

RRA and Stag lowers are both made by CMT to the same specs and finish quality, including the rear takedown area. Do a search and you will find that some people have had the same issue with Stag's in the rear take down area as some have had with RRA.

The fact of the matter is, CMT is not consistent with their milling of that area. CJan had a very good example of this, two RRA lowers with very close serial numbers (consecutive?) that when their width at the rear take down area was measured, did not match. That's why some people with RRA\Stag lowers seem to have issues and some don't.
I will repeat, the only difference between RRA and Stag lowers is the roll mark. To think (or claim) other wise is just flat out wrong. There is no "YMMV" about it.

FYI Just because the serial numbers are close does not mean they were made in that order. Keep in mind that the rollmarks and serial numbers are a separate step in the forging and machining process. Those lowers could have and most likely were not even milled on the same machine or by the same operator.    
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:02:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Stag
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:10:38 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Honestly, I think all these "What is best?" threads are pretty damn silly. They should be labeling them"What is your favorite?".

I agree with that and will add that many will contribute "Which is the cheapest" without actually saying it.

BUT in one of the rare cases defying the "You get what you pay for" rule, the Stag receivers are probably the least expensive receivers out there and, IMO, are higher quality than MEGA, RRA and a few other inexpensive receivers.  I always balked on the Stag receivers because of the silly dear head roll mark, but now that I have a couple and have seen the quality of the receiver, the deer head issue is all but dead for me.  I still prefer Bushmaster and buy them when I find them reasonable, but if I wanted a good quality, inexpensive receiver I can trash around, refinish in some color or whatever, I'd not hesitate to get a Stag or three.

Stag Stripped Receivers - 3 for $240 or $80 each

How can you say the Stag lower is higher quality than the RRA? They are exactly the same! The only difference is the roll marks

Granted, the Stags are ~$20-$25 cheaper so value wise they are the better deal but I can not and probably never will get past that stupid roll mark so I'll waste the extra $25 on the RRA lowers.

Just like this:  Stag lower receivers are higher quality that RRA.  It's that simple.

Whoever does the Stags takes more time to clean them up.  If you want a "pretty looking" receiver, the Stag is for you.  I also hear of fewer, if any, tight Stag lowers, like the PITA RRAs.  YMMV.

Where are you coming up with that BS from? Last time this came up you claimed you never owned an RRA lower but now you are somehow claiming that Stags are cleaned up better then RRA's??? Come on Mongo, I expect better from you.

RRA and Stag lowers are both made by CMT to the same specs and finish quality, including the rear takedown area. Do a search and you will find that some people have had the same issue with Stag's in the rear take down area as some have had with RRA.

The fact of the matter is, CMT is not consistent with their milling of that area. CJan had a very good example of this, two RRA lowers with very close serial numbers (consecutive?) that when their width at the rear take down area was measured, did not match. That's why some people with RRA\Stag lowers seem to have issues and some don't.

I will repeat, the only difference between RRA and Stag lowers is the roll mark. To think (or claim) other wise is just flat out wrong. There is no "YMMV" about it.

I've handled enough RRAs to know.  I don't own one and won't own one until they fix what is wrong with them - something that they supposedly have admitted to doing on purpose for a complete and total BS reason.  The three Stags I have (sequential) don't have that issue.  The three stags are "cleaner" than any RRA I've handled.  YMMV.

Call BS all you want, it doesn't bother me.  Like always, I call them like I see them and I won't quit doing that.  You have every right to call BS, but some proof would be nice.  I have yet to see someone filing an upper receiver due to a Stag lower.  If you can provide a link or two, I may revise my stance.

You're basing alot of your production facts on ARFCOM lore, something I don't trust at all.  You can't ever get a straght story from two people on what comes from where.  There may be a number of production steps that CMT does and others steps that are done elsewhere.  There also may be different specs for each.  An example ER Shaw barrels and Colt barrels.  Supposedly made by the same company, but using different tooling and materials and very likely to different specs, but once again, that is based on ARFCOM lore, so who knows, Bubba's machine shop in PoDunk may be doing them, if the truth were known.

And as always, YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:25:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
cgv69,

Nothing personal, but there are certain names on this board that carry credibility.  In my case, the list is quite short, and Mongo is one of the very few on it.

Calling him as making up BS isn't a great way to try and make your point.  While you may have had  knowledge about the subject matter, as soon as you made it into a personal attack, you lost any credibility you might have had.  Just something to think about.

Stickman -

You know, I agree with you in that he is(was?) on my short list as well for certain subjects but he just lost a lot of credibility with me with his posts on this topic. (Hence why I wrote that I expected better out of him)

As far as my credibility goes, I really couldn't care less. What he stated was flat out BS. If you want to call that a personal attack, so be it. If you want to believe him because he's "mongo", go for it. Either way it doesn't change the facts. I saw BS and I called it as such.

With that said, I have no interest in taking part in another moronic Internet debate so I'm just going to stop now and let the rest of you believe what ever you want.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Mongo - I just read your last post and all I will say is people have had ther same issues with stag lowers (and have posted about it here) next time one comes up, I will bring it to you attention. Until then we will have to just agree to disagree.

Have a good one
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:27:17 AM EDT
[#6]
For me, name recognition is only important for avoiding cheap and potentially problematic parts, although good marketing is not necessarily indicative of good manufacturing either, of course. Stag might lack the name recognition of the ABCR manufacturers, but in this case I find that to be irrelevant as there have been too many good reviews from people that claim Stag parts can equal or exceed the quality of some of the ABCR parts for a good bit less money. As for the roll marks, I could care less if they stuck a picture of a Smurf on the side of the lower...
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:30:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
cgv69,

Stickman -

You know, I agree with you in that he is(was?) on my short list as well for certain subjects but he just lost a lot of credibility with me with his posts on this topic. (Hence why I wrote that I expected better out of him)

As far as my credibility goes, I really couldn't care less. What he stated was flat out BS. If you want to call that a personal attack, so be it. If you want to believe him because he's "mongo", go for it. Either way it doesn't change the facts. I saw BS and I called it as such.

With that said, I have no interest in taking part in another moronic Internet debate so I'm just going to stop now and let the rest of you believe what ever you want.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Good one.  No facts, no nothing - just a simple BS call and taking his ball and going home.

Back up your claim with something.............................anything..........................other than internet lore.  I wish I had an RRA lower to post side by side, but I don't, and I won't, for that matter.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:17:18 PM EDT
[#8]
No way to know for sure without talking to the production managers for CMT/RRA contract and Stag.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:36:16 PM EDT
[#9]
DAYUM!!!!

I LIKE PIE!

MARPAT!

I didn't mean to start a flame war.  Ca Ca Can't we all just..... Ga Get along?  

Anyhow, thanks for all the information you all have spent the time giving to me.  I really appreciate it!  I'll have to make a decision soon and go and order it later in the week.  

Soon I'll be asking for help in putting it together.  

If anyone wants to add to my still growing amount of knowledge of lower recievers (and their assembly) please feel free!

-K
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:29:45 PM EDT
[#10]
It is true that to get any machine shop to produce you a part, The Purchaser is responsible for the print.  Just because Stag/RRA/ Brand X are made by the same machine shop does not mean they are run to the same print.  Each manufacturer likes to put their little twist on things.  RRA's claim to fame/infamy is the "coin radius" as I will call it in the rear lug pocket. They do it to shove the upper against the front pivot pin and eliminate sloppiness when assembled. The problem is some of the get REALLY tight. CMT is a quality shop doing quality parts, there is no argument about that.  The Stags I have seen personally are quality pieces. The RRA's have their backers and are not a bad unit. Bushmaster is quality as well. Personally I like the superior's........Superior Arms
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:47:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Personally I like the superior's........

Leo Williams
Superior Arms

Now why would you prefer Superiors????

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:00:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Stag.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:04:32 AM EDT
[#13]
I have read one vague reference to possible incompatibilities between Stag lowers and Magpul stocks.  Can anyone elaborate or link me to a thread (and yes, I did consult my friend Search, but drew a blank with the subject "stag magpul".).

Thanks in advance for your help.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:15:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have read one vague reference to possible incompatibilities between Stag lowers and Magpul stocks.  Can anyone elaborate or link me to a thread (and yes, I did consult my friend Search, but drew a blank with the subject "stag magpul".).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Haven't heard that but why don't you email magpul and ask them?
The only issue I have heard of is the receiver extension (AKA buffer tube)being incompatible as true military specification buffer tubes are a slightly different diameter  than commercial buffer tubes.
Colt uses a milspec buffer tube, note sure about complete Stag rifles. If you are getting a stripped lower, this would not be an issue. To my knowledge the Stag receivers are within specification in all respects.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:13:30 PM EDT
[#15]
OKAY Y'ALL,

I think I finally made my decision.  There seemed from the poll/posts to be a big following between Rock River and Stag arms.

So, In the great ARFCOM tradition, I decided to GET BOTH!!!

Anyone here ever dealt with Jeff's Shooters Supply out of Trussville Alabama?

Thank you everyone for the advice!

-K
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:43:10 PM EDT
[#16]
+1 For stag!  

For the price they cant be beat.  They are the same as the RRA lowers.  You might as well get 3 for $80 a piece, 'cause ure gonna use them.  Look Here  They are machined so smoothly compared to DPMS, Olympic and dare I say some Colts?  Bushmaster does have them all beat in the Cosmetics Department IMO.

I dont know about Jeff's SS but, Eaglefirearms.net has the best deals on RRA and Stag lowers that I have found.  They are also supper great to deal with!  The only delay I had in ordering my Stags from him was getting my local dealer  to send out there FFL.  Call him directly.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top