BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/28/2006 9:58:12 AM EDT
Looking to get a CH latch which one you prefer?
The Badger Ordnance Tactical latch or PRI Big latch?
Or is there another? Thanks
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:00:27 AM EDT
[#1]
i like the original gen1 badger ord.  it the biggest, gives you the best handhold and i have never had a problem w/ it getting caught on anything.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:34:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I like the badger ord. model 1.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I like the badger ord. model 1.

+1

Have one on both of my rifles, and will probally have one on all future rifles.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:38:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I like the PRi big latch...  It works great, allows for easy operation and isn't as big as the Badger latch...

Spooky
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:47:33 AM EDT
[#5]
PRI military.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:48:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd go for the PRI latch.  I had the Badger Ordnance one on my rifle. It's nice but tends to get caught on things and my cheek weld is "nose to the charging handle", and the Badger latch tends to be a problem.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:49:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Is there any reason to get a latch?
I think the std. one works just fine.
Is it a cold weather (gloves) issue?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

if you have a scope sitting very low on your flat top upper then you would need a different latch

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:24:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

if you have a scope sitting very low on your flat top upper then you would need a different latch

www.sussexcountyjustice.com/images/guns/accur.gif

Aha!
Thanks very much.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:42:39 AM EDT
[#10]
All of my rifles sport PRI Gasbuster charging handles with the Big Latch.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Maybe its just me but I have never been able to charge an AR one handed with the stock latch.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:51:19 AM EDT
[#12]
PRi Big latch

Weazer
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:29:53 PM EDT
[#13]
So far I have the Badger Ordnance Gen 1 latchs on my Bushmaster M4A3 and my Armalite AR10A4. The Bushmaster wears one as I like it for 3-Gun and the Armalite has a Leupold VX-III 3.5X10 mounted low as I need it to charge the weapon. I took each and dressed the hook that detents in the reciever so it wound not remove stock when grasped. So far I am pleased with both.  JMTCW....Trapfan
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:33:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
PRI military.

+ 1 on the PRI mil latch.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:39:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe its just me but I have never been able to charge an AR one handed with the stock latch.  

It is just you... or, I guess it is, I always use one hand to charge the AR... actually never have even thought of using two hands to operate the charging handle.

Curious how one would go about this... do you hold the rifle between your legs? Have a buddy hold it?

Just curious...
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:42:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I have the PRI on my beo. wulf and the badger on my Bushmaster V.S., I like the Badger a little more.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:14:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is just you... or, I guess it is, I always use one hand to charge the AR... actually never have even thought of using two hands to operate the charging handle.

Curious how one would go about this... do you hold the rifle between your legs? Have a buddy hold it?

Just curious...

Okay I can see your confusion.  I worded my sentence very poorly.  I will try it again.

"Maybe its just me but I have never been able to charge my AR by pulling on just one side with the stock latch."
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:27:29 PM EDT
[#18]
got badgers on both my uppers.  That being said, i am sure any of the charging handles on the market would work fine.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:36:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:36:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just curious...

Okay I can see your confusion.  I worded my sentence very poorly.  I will try it again.

"Maybe its just me but I have never been able to charge my AR by pulling on just one side with the stock latch."

When I first read it, I kind of thought that is what you were talking about... but then I tought "hey, maybe there is some new ubertactical action drill that I should know about?"

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Badger Ord Gen 2.  No chewing up or wear on my uppers.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:34:47 PM EDT
[#22]
All three of my ARs wear PRI latches.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:39:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:48:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Just plopped down $20 for a PRI.    can't wait

ETA:  PRI BIG LATCH OWNZ J00!!!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:00:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
For those of you with the Badger latches, know that the latch will eventually chew through the notch in the upper, requiring a replacement upper receiver.  If you carry your rifle on a tactical sling (and are right-handed), this will happen much faster, as the long lever on the latch will dig into your side as you move, and the force will be transferred straight to the notch on the upper, where the sharp steel latch will eat into the much softer aluminum.  Several folks on the board have ended up replacing their uppers due to this issue.

Most of us would recommend the PRI "Big Latch", the "military" or "weenie" version.  This latch will not cause wear problems, and does not stick out as far or get caught on anything.  And it makes using the charging handle much easier, especially with a low-mounted optic.

-Troy

I noticed that knocking the coner of the latch down where it grabs the recievr helps this problem some.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:02:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Has anyone ever made a gasbuster out of a regular charging handle?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Is the Gas Buster worth the cash?
Or is that mainly for when using a can?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:53:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Specifically for a can but helps if you overlube as well. Lube winds up on your shoulder instead of your face.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:56:14 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Badger Ord Gen 2.  No chewing up or wear on my uppers.

What is the difference?  

TS
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:13:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Gen 2 is 1/3 the size of the gen 1.  It's pulling surface is basically as high as the handle is thick and sticks out a little bit past as opposed to the stock charging handle release lever being a small sliver of metal and only extending halfway to the outer edge of the CH.

Anyone use the other PRI latch that ADCO sells?  I think it's got the word "Flat" in it's name.  

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:12:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:21:39 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I like the PRi big latch...  It works great, allows for easy operation and isn't as big as the Badger latch...

Spooky

I completely agree.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:31:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:17:39 AM EDT
[#34]
i use the pri on all of my rifles
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:08:44 AM EDT
[#35]
We sell the Badger Ordnance Model I and Model II as well as the PRI Big Latch and the full PRI Gas Buster Charging handle. We also offer any of the Tac Latches, including the PRI, pre-installed on a CMT charging handle.

BO changed their latch design a couple of years ago and eliminated the "hook" that was marking uppers.

BADGER ORDNANCE MODEL I, CURRENT PRODUCTION

BADGER ORDNANCE MODEL II, CURRENT PRODUCTION

PRI MILITARY BIG LATCH

TAC LATCHES INSTALLED ON CMT CHARGING HANDLES

PRI BIG LATCH ON CMT C/H

BADGER ORDNANCE GEN I AND GEN II INSTALLED ON CMT C/H

There is no longer the old reason to avoid the Badger Ordnance Tac Latches as the sharp edge was eliminated a long time ago, but the legend persists.

All 3 latches are made of steel and weigh within fraction of an ounce of each other. Just go with what you prefer and don't worry about uppers being destroyed. It is now ARF.com myth.

Here is a link to the website:
DENNYS GUNS/ GTS, LLC

All the best,
Denny

Any way to get a picture of the old style BO latches to see the difference?
Edited to add
Nevermind I just read your other thread...
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:14:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:17:06 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Spooky

I completely agree.

Take a look at the pictures I posted and compare the Badger Ord Model II and the PRI and tell me agian how the Badger Ord latch sticks out further?  he just said bigger- i think he's referring to the actual distance it sticks out from the side even though it sticks out much farther forward.  

I sell all 3 latches so I don't have an issue but I think some clarification was in order as well as real pictures to show how the latches actully attach to the charging handles.

Denny

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:31:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:20:12 PM EDT
[#39]
I don't think anyone could call you biased because you sell them- hell, you sell all of them so it doesn't matter.  Besides, they are all the same price anyway, right?

Do you know about the two different PRI latches Denny?  ADCO has a Military and a Flat advertised- $20 and $19 respectively.

Can't find any info anywhere...

Gonna need a gas buster when the AAC comes in...  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:44:00 PM EDT
[#40]
I have a Badger Ordnance Model 1.  It doesn't help me operate the CH with one hand.  Maybe it's just me...

TS
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:07:26 PM EDT
[#41]
i saw in brownells GAS BUSTER CHARGING HANDLE AND LATCH manufactured by MOUNTING SOLUTIONS PLUS.  it looks and read just like the PRI ones.  when i went to there website it says there PRI gasbusters and latches.  in the pic above by dennys it looks to be cast or forged all in one part.  ive seen some before that have the weenie just welded on.  did PRI just start out by taking a regular latch and welding on teh wennie.  if so i could do this since i have a lathe, tig welder and parking setup.

Edit.  i just read on mounting solutions plus they are a distributer for pri so brownells just orders from them and puts it under MSP's name i guess

heres the pic from mounting solutions plus.  notice the welds

heres the one from dennys.  looks updated without welding

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#42]
I have the BO Model 1 on my Bushy.  I bought it in 2004 (the latch) and haven't noticed any wearing on my upper, in fact I like it quite well.  Did BO make 2 generations of the Model 1?  Mine seems to have a pretty rigid hook on it.  Mine is p/n 1005-249-02.

TIA

--VT

ETA Highlighting
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#43]
I have the BO I on my varminter with big optic, I like it and it works well. On my 16 carbine with MR/T and single point sling, I think it would serve me better to use PRI. Tagged to see which one would be better, flat or military
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:26:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:23:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Denny said their were two badger gen I latches- the originals had the much sharper claw that they changed.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:04:00 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just curious...

When I first read it, I kind of thought that is what you were talking about... but then I tought "hey, maybe there is some new ubertactical action drill that I should know about?"

there is... i put my buttstock against my groin, then grasp the CH with one hand on each side, hold firmly,  then do a tactical hip thrust propeling the rifle forward and charging the rifle.  sometimes i bumpfire this way,  I call it Humpfiring.  Looks cool and is very effective.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:53:04 AM EDT
[#48]
TigerStripe,
 I charge my Bushmaster M4A3 with my BO gen-1 Tac-latch all the time in this manner(Right Handed). What works for me is to point the weapon up slightly toward the 11:00 position. Then take the left hand open using the heal of the palm disengage the latch and come stright back towards the butt-stock. When you reach the end of the charging stroke slide the palm off the latch handle and let the charge handle,bolt carrier, and bolt go back into battery. Hope this helps....Trapfan.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#49]
If you smell something STANKY that's the PRI Big Latch

cuz it's the shit!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:18:55 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just curious...

there is... i put my buttstock against my groin, then grasp the CH with one hand on each side, hold firmly,  then do a tactical hip thrust propeling the rifle forward and charging the rifle.  sometimes i bumpfire this way,  I call it Humpfiring.  Looks cool and is very effective.

my new sig line !
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top