User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:59:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well...Spikes canned the S7 bolt. Unintended consequences and all...
View Quote

And it validates my feelings about Spike's, they weren't happy with the bolt so they didn't move forward with it.

Gotta love honest manufacturers
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:12:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

And it validates my feelings about Spike's, they weren't happy with the bolt so they didn't move forward with it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't argue that. I'm just saying...the C158 mil-spec bolt doesn't seem to have an issue...
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:56:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They discontinued the Bolt because the owner (Spikes) doesn't want to diverge into too many specialty nitch market items and concentrate on core products.  Nothing wrong with the bolt itself.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:54:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

They discontinued the Bolt because the owner (Spikes) doesn't want to diverge into too many specialty nitch market items and concentrate on core products.  Nothing wrong with the bolt itself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is not what their forum representative has said.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:10:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Because the army decides to REJECT product improvements (they even looked at possible switching rifles and calibers) doesn't mean that the improvement isn't worthwhile.  LMT and LWRC don't supply rifles to the military.  It has been proven and documented that NiB and related coatings can allow an AR to opperate longer while dirtier without malfunction.  There have even been tests conducted on this board of suppressed SBRs firing thousands of rounds unlubbed with NiB BCG.  Try that with a standard phosphate one.

If coatings don't matter, then why do the carrier and gas key internals need to be chrome lined?  What exactly does chrome offer that improves things?
View Quote

LMT supplies rifles to the British military.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 4:15:07 AM EDT
[#6]
IMO. NIB is the way to go I have about 6 of them in .308 and 5.56 and 1 Nitride in 308. The NIB is a dream to clean up and will reduce cleaning time significantly. To me its well worth the 190 bucks or so. I think that way you are more likely to keep your weapons clean and avoid FTF's if the BCG is faster and easier to clean. You can talk about how dirty you keep your rifle all you want, but eventally the carbon will build up on the firing pin and shoulders of the carrier preventing solid primer strikes and you will be F'D
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 10:34:43 AM EDT
[#7]
nib bcg from aim @ $99 is a bargain imo. Only put 200 rounds or so with it but it just wipes off which is nice compared to my phosphate that is a bitch to clean.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 4:14:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Do you have to send uour bolt in?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Definitely go with Black Nitride....H&M Metal Processing is one of the best.   BTW it is not a coating...it is a metal conversion process.

www.blacknitride.com

As opposed to in home service?

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 4:28:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm sure maybe a FEW have, but how many in this thread have worn out even 1 bolt?  At least those of you looking for the special coatings or treatments.  

And food for thought, my phosphate bolt takes the same amount of time to clean as my NIB bolt. For two reasons, 1) I keep it lubed and 2) I clean it when I am done shooting.  To each their own but I find a lot of humor in some of the posts in this thread.

Maybe keep an extra bolt and some gas rings handy just in case?  Buy that with the money you saved not buying some coating.

Your money spend it how you like. In know I will NEVER get my money's worth out of the NIB set up my imagination told me I just had to have.

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 6:11:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Aim nitride, because $100, because shiny black.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 1:05:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Definitely go with Black Nitride....H&M Metal Processing is one of the best.   BTW it is not a coating...it is a metal conversion process.

www.blacknitride.com

As opposed to them doing just the carrier.  I wouldn't have my bolt done.  QPQ heat will anneal the bolt to some degree.  It would be nearly as strong afterwards, tough QPQ surface notwithstanding.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 12:28:05 PM EDT
[#12]
What is the cost of the Black nidtride process?  I couldn't find it on their website?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top