Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:49:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Its all relative to specifics of what they are doing and what the situation is.  I tend to like to mind my own business and expect pretty much the same of everyone else.

Life's too short to tolerate snobs.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:01:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I stand there pointing and laughing till everyone else at the range joins in encircling him and calling him a poor dumb bastard till he runs off crying like a little bitch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why the hell would an adult care what others thought of his weapon anyway????
Oh and as a rule I dont make fun of people holding a gun....

I'll go along with Jicky here ,  No need to piss someone off who is holding a weapon ...

this guy you talk of is out for a day of shooting at the range with his pride and joy, and you notice he has some Cheap knockoff/ aftermarket part or parts on his AR15, "Big Fuckun Deal" , be happy for the guy and dont ruin his day by telling him he has some piece of shit aftermarket part on it..  

My Mother always said if you dont have anything Nice to say dont say anything at all ...  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:06:17 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If it works for them, more power to 'em.  

I'm sure a lot of people here don't like my choices for my AR equipment.  It works for me.  

I've thought long and hard picking my equipment.  I got the best I can afford.  I'm sure someone without the more expensive equipment thought about their choices and spend the money they could afford for the best equipment they could afford.  

Less expensive or older equipment doesn't necessarily mean it's bad.  Even the new, expensive stuff breaks and fails.  

I'm not close the being an equipment expert.  

Right. Most of here have as well.

But some neo picks up a Cheaper-Than-Dirt       or Sportsman's Guide      catalog and says, "Hey, neato! That LOOKS tactical!" to something like a Mini-14 ventilated barrel shroud...gotta help those dudes out...but doing so can be a real challenge to undersocialized types who lack verbal communications skills. Like me
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:20:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm sure all of us has had the experience of having some tyro at the range proudly showing of his AR loaded with cheap knock-offs of proven gear, or older items than are far inferior to currently produced equipment...so, do you usually keep your mouth shut, aside from a "that's nice" comment, or do you tell the guy the truth?

Cheap knock offs will get some raised eyebrows and ribbing in my neck of the woods. Now by ribbing I mean guys we know and only rib as a joke. Sometimes you gotta go with what you can. After all this hobby is mega $$$ when it comes down to it. As to older items, well sometimes you can't fault a person for that. Hell, I have a ARMS SIR on one of my favorite ARs and some call that old. (insert dino pic here)

ETA: Each person has their own idea of whats cool and what's crap. People at the range wil run the spectrum of expert to idiot. If you have a cheap knock off item on your weapon and I dont know you, I say nothing and try to figure out if that person enjoys what he has. If so, good for him. If not, well there isnt anything wrong with making a few sugestions but do it in a tactful way. Other than that, I am the observer and say zip.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:32:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I see no point in pissing in someone's Cheerios.

+1

We can also keep in mind that people choose what they choose for a reason sometimes, and if it works it works so why fix it.  I use a less-than-high-tech mid length FF rail that I redneck-engineered to fit on my M4gery because it was what I wanted.  May be a little "low tech" compared to some of the LaRue, DD, and Knights stuff, but I bought it with money from selling a Knights RAS2!

Tex78
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:34:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Have a nice day.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:44:11 AM EDT
[#7]
There are two kinds of people at the range, those that go to shoot their guns and those that go to shoot their mouths.  You can easily tell both types.  One is sitting shooting his gun, the other is walking up and down the line shooting his mouth to anyone that will listen, and anyone who won't for that matter.  I'm one of the first, I go to shoot.  I try to ignore the fact that anyone else is even there unless some safety concern pops up.  If you want to say "Hi" and ask me a question, fine, I'm a nice guy.  Want to tell me how to shoot or what's wrong with my gun, you'll most likely get told to mind your own damn business.

P.S.  Typical arfcom thread, we couldn't get to the end of page 3 without some name calling.  Way to go!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:55:23 AM EDT
[#8]
My Ar15 is not as sophisticated as much of the equipmemt as some of the equipment I see on the site but I shoot for fun and enjoy myself. Any pretentious a-hole who would  point this out to me would receive---not my 2 cents--but maybe even a nickel's worth- I would then walk him over to my Ferrari (hypothetically speaking of course) and  ask why he was driving a" mere "pickup, or why does he live in only a 2000 sqare foot house instead of 4500? Are some folks so friggin egotistical or insecure that they have to piss on other's parade? Get a life.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:57:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Are some folks so friggin egotistical or insecure that they have to piss on other's parade? Get a life.

Amen brother.  That is what I was trying to say.

And I will stop feeding this troll now.  Yes you are a troll.  When you start a thread just to stir up shit you are a troll.  A more valid thread would have been one discussing the merits of a particular piece/brand of equipment, not one that just pisses on guys with "inferior equipment" (inferior to yours that is).  I shot against a bunch of guys yesterday with far "superior" rifles than mine and I absolutely held my own shooting a bone stock AK against tricked out ARs.  Remember it's not so much the rifle, it has a lot to do with the guy running it.  If you spend all your time fucking with your HSLD gear you won't spend as much time shooting and you will look like a boob when you get beat by a guy with a bone stock AK.

'nuff said.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:25:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I keep my mouth shut.  If the guy likes it and shoots it so what?  Who am I to say his trash sucks?

Max
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:27:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Im always on the look out for stuff at the range. If by chance (which is very rare) I see someone out there other than my friends with an AR,AK,FAL ect...I strike up a conversation. But never think I need to inform them of what to buy/what not to buy.

Self-proclaimed know-it-alls can get bent
But you have an excuse AyeGuy,...You live in CA
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:09:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'm just happy to see other people excited about their AR. It might be the most beautiful rifle to them and they may think that mine looks like crap. It is just nice to see other ARs at the range.

+1 Yup. People who make comments on other peoples stuff and dog their equip becuz its not "Uber tactical" and they didnt spend $500 on a red dot - I say those people who make comments are either a.) insecure with themselves or b.) have no lifes or even c.) have a life and are not happy with the life they have so they have to pull down others with them.

Uber-GHEY if you ask me
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:56:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't stand to criticize persay, but maybe make positive suggestions if one is doing something wrong/ignorant.

You know what I mean?...
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:06:22 AM EDT
[#14]
I just use the "That's nice" unless I'm really pressed.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:18:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Shut the Fuck up... Or I will tell you to do so.   Opinions are like assholes..... I like my simmons red dot...
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:29:11 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Shut the Fuck up... Or I will tell you to do so.   Opinions are like assholes..... I like my simmons red dot...

Haha love it.

Its funny how so many on this board are against communist mind sets yet they choose to exhibit them. I think I ought to load my new rifle up with airsoft junk and take a pic of it just to hack off the leet-luber ..i mean uber tactical couch commandos
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:32:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I'm sure all of us has had the experience of having some tyro at the range proudly showing of his AR loaded with cheap knock-offs of proven gear, or older items than are far inferior to currently produced equipment...so, do you usually keep your mouth shut, aside from a "that's nice" comment, or do you tell the guy the truth?

Keep your mouth shut.  Say, 'That's pretty cool.', and show them yours.  No need to be a mean jackass when you can be a nice one.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:05:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I usually try to mind my own friggin' business.  If you don't like the fact that I haven't invested big money in my ARs, tough shit.  I have the cheapest piece of shit red dot style optic on my M4gery.  One day a piece of it came off and hit me in the glasses when I was shooting it.  But you know what?  The damn thing still was hitting what I was putting the dot on.  I am sure if anybody wants your opinion they will choke it out of you.  Bottom line:  if somebody wants advice, they will ask for it.  On the other hand if somebody is trying to pass off their no-name shit as high speed stuff then you are allowed to heckle them.

Exactly, like me for example. I have a $29 BSA red dot on my Bushy M4orgery. Basically, because I wanted a red dot, and didn't have an extra $300 laying around to get an aimpoint or Eotech. Even if I did, I'm not sure I would want to put that much money into an optic.

Now, I don't really expect my red dot to be as sturdy, reliable, rock solid, etc. as the nice optics. But I do know from experience that when I put the cheap red dot on the target, the bullet hits there.

If I take my rifle with cheap optic to the range to enjoy some plinking fun, and some guy comes up with a tricked out Colt and starts telling me that my equipment is cheap crap and that I ought to get a better setup, then I am going to think he is an arrogant jerk.
Just remember, many of us struggle just to get an AR, and not everyone has thousands of dollars in disposable income to drop into AR equipment.
Now you could say something like "I have really had good luck with...." or something of that nature. As long as you don't come off as being critical or "Cooler than Thou"

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:24:31 PM EDT
[#19]

By Stickman:
If someone wants to use cheap gear, its none of my concern unless they work with me, and/ or unless they are going to depend on it for real world use. 99% of the people here don't carry a weapon for real, so its kind of a moot point the way I look at it.

Best post on this thread...
because it depends on how your weapon is deployed on a daily basis....bottom line!
other than that, I dont give a shit about Joe-Smuk going to the local range with his "cheap gear" its not my problem or bussiness unless he's LE or Military.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:27:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

By Stickman:
If someone wants to use cheap gear, its none of my concern unless they work with me, and/ or unless they are going to depend on it for real world use. 99% of the people here don't carry a weapon for real, so its kind of a moot point the way I look at it.

because it depends on how your weapon is deployed on a daily basis....bottom line!
other than that, I dont give a shit about Joe-Smuk going to the local range with his "cheap gear" its not my problem or bussiness unless he's LE or Military.

Unless they are working with you... how is it your problem otherwise?  And honestly, is a military rifle or a LE rifle more important than one depended on to defend a home?

Best thing I was ever told with regards to tools... "Go expensive, and it hurts once... .go cheap, and it hurts every time you use it."  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:30:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Just depending on if it works or not.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:34:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

By Stickman:

Unless they are working with you... how is it your problem otherwise?  And honestly, is a military rifle or a LE rifle more important than one depended on to defend a home?

Best thing I was ever told with regards to tools... "Go expensive, and it hurts once... .go cheap, and it hurts every time you use it."  

did you read my post?
and yes I agree pay once intead of every time, but as far as defending your home with you AR...well then go ahead if you want to... but Im not going to clear my house with my M4!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:36:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Sometimes even LE/Military are too broke to get the top of the line stuff.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:45:51 PM EDT
[#24]
WTF do you care?  Not everybody spends every last waking moment and every dime they can scrape together buying toys for their AR-15.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:47:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:48:20 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

By Stickman:

did you read my post?
and yes I agree pay once intead of every time, but as far as defending your home with you AR...well then go ahead if you want to... but Im not going to clear my house with my M4!

Yes, I read your post.  Different strokes for different folks I guess

With the ballistics studie's that I've read (Such as the one from Gunsite) and my own personal experience shooting mocked up walls, I'm inclined to use an M4 type carbine due to the construction of my home, and the surrounding area.

Of course, IF I had a nice, expensive home, I may be less inclined to poke holes in it at all... just hole up in a safe room and let the BG take what he wants rather than bleed all over nice furniture and carpeting...
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:49:58 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

By Stickman:

yes, because other peoples lives, not just your own are dependant on it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:52:36 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

yes, because other peoples lives, not just your own are dependant on it.

There is not one life on this planet worth more than another. There sure as hell is not a LEO / Military life worth MORE than a Citizens...  If you think that's the case, give me your number... I'll send the bad guys your way next time they try to break into my place

ETA:  and In Before the LEO/ .mil apologists... my point is every person who decides that shall live has equal right to do so!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:08:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Who the fuck cares who/what else is at the range with you.  The only thing that matters is you, the weapon and the target.  I don't go to the range for socialization sessions.  If you want to come over and talk your are just as likely to get a big cup of shut the fuck up from me.  

If someone asks, I'll tell them what's what and let them decide based on their needs, disposable income and informed opinions.  I'm not a team member so I don't buy that level of gear, don't have a need for it and I don't offer opinions on it either.  If you feel qualified to talk about it, you'd better be qualified to back it up.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#30]
If someone asks for help b/c they are having problems with an obvious hunk of crap piece of gear, I'll try to point them in the right direction (that doesn't necessarily mean saying that the most expensive, popular widget is the only choice - there are lots of good things available that work well in many price ranges - and bipods still stabilize a rifle better than your hand even if the barrel is not free-floated).  Otherwise, I'd keep my cake-hole shut.  

I have been the guy who people were telling that I need X piece of gear or Y sighting system.  Then almost invariably I find they can't shoot worth a piss or their tactics suck (usually both).  I have also seen people come out to the range and smoke my ass like a cheap cigar when I was feeling superior about my super-duper commie killing system, and I thanked God I didn't shoot my trap off and make an idiot out of myself.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:47:07 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm still trying to figure out if the original post was a joke or not.  I couldn't care less what Gucci trinkets the [fat-ass/alien hunter/Red Dawn dreamer] has on his poser-gun.  As far as people next to me at the range, I care far more about them keeping their muzzle pointed downrange and their weapon left action open when we check targets.  A couple months ago some douchbag armchair-SEAL swung his chambered/safety off SOCOM-16 M1A at me while reaching for his Diet-Coke.  Another time, a guy got pissed at me for asking him to unchamber  the round in his AR prior to us walking down-range, when there were children around the benches!  Those are my primary concerns with respect to other shooters, not the expensive trash mounted on their rifles.  

Now, if somebody is having functional problems, and the solution is obvious, I wouldn't hesitate to say, "Hey, those USA mags are a likely source of your problem, try this."  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:54:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Protocol 101.  I was taught never to criticize a man's firearm.  This is akin to criticizing his choice of a wife.

Friends come and go, but enemies accumulate.

Sam
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:22:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Personally, I'd rather have a high quality rifle with just carry handle irons, than a gee whiz gizmofied rifle made of questionable parts and loaded down with "tactical parts" you bought at Wal-Mart.

Which is exactly what I did -- for my first AR, I got myself a top notch A2.  For more than a year now I've been assembling my carbine, and as soon as I get my rear irons I'll be set.  It took a hell of a long time, mostly due to cost, but it's worth it.

What I can't understand are the guys who say they'll never afford an Aimpoint, but who own 2 M4geries with knockoff "tactical" junk, 5 handguns, a few hunting firearms and who spend $200 a month on beer and cigs.

I do not, however, talk shit about their rifle at the range.  Let the poor guy enjoy his toys.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:26:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Mute.  Some guys can't afford the exspensive stuff, some guys don't need the gadgets.  I don't care as long as they enjoy their rigs.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:30:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Do you point out when your friend drives a crappy car? No.

Now if they were bragging about it or something, maybe then...
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:31:43 PM EDT
[#36]
On the civilian side no, what someone what to do with his weapon his businesses.  However when it comes to military rifles than hell yes.  

If someone draws his issue weapon and adds something that won't work he should be told what he should get and why.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:32:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Never miss a good chance to shut the hell up.

whoops.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:35:11 PM EDT
[#38]
I carry a 20" colt with i/s, I don't care for the carbine w/ a ton of shit on it, but I don't make fun of the guys who do
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:37:10 PM EDT
[#39]
how about this...

all my rifles have old A1 triangular handguards...

they all have A1 sight system. some have the aperature replaced with the A2

most of my rifles, don't have a forward assist or shell deflector...

no lights, lasers, fancy optics, and the stuff I do have although mostly build from new parts, are basically anchient...

but I usually outshoot most the other AR guru's at the range. (except when I take olympic ammo)
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:38:50 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Never miss a good chance to shut the hell up.

those are true words to live by
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:36:18 PM EDT
[#41]
To each their own.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:02:07 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I carry a 20" colt with i/s, I don't care for the carbine w/ a ton of shit on it, but I don't make fun of the guys who do

+ a billion (mine is a bushie)

I lie and tell'em its cool as shit looking and my bare rifle is shitty and naked
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:08:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Mute, Peolpe do as they can afford.
No need to be overly critical.

myit
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:18:08 PM EDT
[#44]
"or older items than are far inferior to currently produced equipment"

I guess you'd really look down on a plain jane M16A1; no red dots, VFG's, flat tops, or free floated stuff.

" What I mean is pointing out stuff that just won't work, like:
Having a bipod on a non free-float barrel
Having a high-power scope mounted on top of a carry handle with no cheekpiece on the stock
Having Airsoft stuff on a real rifle"

So your elbows are more stable than a bipod?
That's funny, whenever I put the crosshairs where I want the bullet to hit, it hits.
Hmm, this $14 VFG seems to hold up pretty well even though the rifles been thrown around and stepped on many times.

Since this stuff is all "crap", when are you going to send me a check for $600 so I can get stuff that "will work"?

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:21:49 PM EDT
[#45]
And,....... how does this ruffle your feathers?
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:59:20 PM EDT
[#46]
I am very, very sorry I started this topic.

It seems that some people on this board do not even bother to read the topic starter before they jump in with their assumptions about what the subject was...much easier to just jump in and shoot your mouth off.

Re-read the topic starter. Takes less than 20 seconds. Here I'll help you:

NOWHERE in there did I suggest you make the guy with the lower strata gear feel poor, stupid, or inferior. I did not suggest you insult him or his gear. I was asking if you have in the past ever encountered such an individual, and what YOUR reaction was. But you would know this if, again, you had in fact read the topic starter.

Yesterday a member who built a "SPR" like rifle proudly submitted a picture of his rifle, and the "board bitches" (not MY words) started in right away...

I was accused here of being a "troll"...here is a snippet of a quote from that SPR thread:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Too bad someone defaced the serial number making the firearm illegal.

The serial number is not modified or removed in any way. He put a piece of electrical tape over it so it would't show up in the pics. Its no more hidden than if the rifle were in its case.

I  have dealt with this guy before - He reminds me of "little johnny" take a good look and get the whole story before opening up...

but as other report - this is the internet - assclowns love to troll stage one is shitting on someones post, stage two is starting with personal attacks...

thanks for the good comments and observations guys

I mount the bipod that way as I find it quicker to pull the legs out then back - - I usually tie a piece of 550 cord between the legs with a loop for this purpose.

Agreed it not the "SPR" but rather my "spr" - - I don't like the Ops style brake as far as function as a brake.

And yes - raise the scope covers and the JPoint would be blocked - - tell you what though, that is the first (AND LAST) time the JPoint will be mounted on thatt rifle

Note the passge (highlighted in Blue by me).

Note the definition of a "troll". This does not fit me, but instead belongs to several responders...who accuse ME of being a "troll"!

Ah! The IRONY!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:02:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:20:24 PM EDT
[#48]

"DagNasty, that is a nice rifle, but if you intend to use it for self defense, there are several things I have learned about this subject that you might like to know:"

"Sure. Edumacate me, Wes"

"Illumination is very important for a home defence rifle. That was smart. But, the Duct Tape holding the flash-light on the rifle is not a very good way of going about attaching such an item. There are several models of mounts that are made to do this and are reasonably priced, and would hold the light much more securely."

"I see what you mean."

"The light itself is overly large for what you are using it for. Several companies make lights especially for this purpose; they come in different models and you can pick one that will fit your needs. I can help you decide which one you need."

"Cool."

"Since you will be using this rifle for close-in shooting, the A2 sights are probably not what would work best...a better choice would be an A1 upper, or better yet a flat-top, which would allow you to mount various optical sights if you want to later. Uppers are easy to switch out"

"I did not know that."

"The ten-inch barrel produces a lot of blast and flash, the ballistics are not very good, and a 16" one would allow you to shoot at longer distances. I know a good gunsmith that can change your barrel for you".

"How much would he charge?"

"The solid buttstock is quite strong, but some people find it to be too long. Telestocks are easy to install and there are sevel kinds to choose from. Look at these ones here; which one do you like?"

"The VLTOR looks cool."

"You dumb fucking bastard."
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:25:48 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
img229.imageshack.us/img229/9917/arfngcrap1ez.png

"DagNasty, that is a nice rifle, but if you intend to use it for self defense, there are several things I have learned about this subject that you might like to know:"

"Illumination is very important for a home defence rifle. That was smart. But, the Duct Tape holding the flash-light on the rifle is not a very good way of going about attaching such an item. There are several models of mounts that are made to do this and are reasonably priced, and would hold the light much more securely."

"The light itself is overly large for what you are using it for. Several companies make lights especially for this purpose; they come in different models and you can pick one that will fit your needs. I can help you decide which one you need."

"Since you will be using this rifle for close-in shooting, the A2 sights are probably not what would work best...a better choice would be an A1 upper, or better yet a flat-top, which would allow you to mount various optical sights if you want to later. Uppers are easy to switch out"

"The ten-inch barrel produces a lot of blast and flash, the ballistics are not very good, and a 16" one would allow you to shoot at longer distances. I know a good gunsmith that can change your barrel for you".

"The solid buttstock is quite strong, but some people find it to be too long. Telestocks are easy to install and there are sevel kinds to choose from. Look at these ones here; which one do you like?"

"You dumb fucking bastard."

Please tell me where in my post did I say that was my rifle?

Edit:

I don't know where to begin with you but then, I'd be taking you seriously.

Shall we go off to the pit?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:36:44 PM EDT
[#50]
The last hypothetical statement was irony.

I thought you were having fun.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top