Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:35:35 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Anyone have a 14.5" barrel with mid gas?

CMMG

Anyone have input on a 14.5 with mid gas?

I just ordered the 14.5 middy with permanent phantom and gov't profile 1/7.  Depending on how long it takes them to fill orders I will let you know.  They immediately shipped all the accessories and crap I ordered with it (I ordered early Monday morning and they shipped it the same day!).  They haven't billed me for the upper yet.  I guess they wait on that 'til they ship it.  We'll see.  

I want to hear about it too, man. I am really torn about whether to get a 16" mid or a 14.5" and unfortunately I don't have the cash for both. Let us know......
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:00:21 PM EDT
[#2]
ok guys, wanted to thank all of you for your suggestions on what midlength to buy. After much debate, I have decided to go with a 14.5" mid from CMMG. Sounds like people really like CMMG, and the people I have talked to really like their 14.5" midlengths. Be posting pics when I get it........
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:24:02 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've narrowed down my choice to either Bravo Company's middie govt. profile or Sabre Defence's govt. profile middie.

In true ARFCOM fashion however, I may have to get both!

wish I could bro, but being a college student sucks for money. I need to pick one and stick with it. I've been interested in RRA for awhile because people universally seem to like them. I haven't,however, heard almost anything about their mids. The Elite CAR A4 looks really nice.....and I like the pricetag. I would suck it up and spend $100 more bucks if I was convinced it was worth it....

I just bought a Sabre Defence upper & love it. The fit & finish is top drawer. Dark black teflon finish on the upper. Other advantages over RRA: gov't profile barrel (lighter), chrome lined (standard), chrome moly vanadium steel (same as 50 cal M2), real M4 ramps (not dremeled), 1/7 twist barrel (load flexibility). That's alot of upgrades for roughly $100 price difference. Definitely worth every penny.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:25:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
But then Colt, Bushie, Armalite, etc. all have "mass produced" barrels. So I'm assuming there's nothing really wrong with the RRA Wilson barrels (yes, I know they're 4140, it's ok).

I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth it to spend the extra $100 or so on a CMMG or Sabre defense.....

I woul dgo with the RRA you can get a good price on one from legal transfers, they have good feedback to. I plan on ordering ine from there as soon as possible, except with quad rail handguard.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:38:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
ok guys, wanted to thank all of you for your suggestions on what midlength to buy. After much debate, I have decided to go with a 14.5" mid from CMMG. Sounds like people really like CMMG, and the people I have talked to really like their 14.5" midlengths. Be posting pics when I get it........

Good decision.  You can't go wrong with CMMG.  They've gained alot experience, and are produceing a top notch product.  Good luck, and post range reports and pics.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:25:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm a big fan of the mid-length, so I've owned a few...

Armalite - Nice because they are a medium-light profile from the get-go and chrome lined, and for a very reasonable price.

RRA - The HBAR (that's FULL HBAR, as in .920 all the way to the gas block!) is ridiculous in a chrome moly barrel.  I owned two of them.  One from ADCO with the additional $50 government profile job, and one from Pete in NH that I sent to KKF for a "turn and flute".  I was much happier with the balance of them after the weight loss.  Trust me, that thing is FAT.  It weighs more than a comparable Bushmaster HBAR because there is no step-down before the gas block like most companies.  Once I had them profiled, I was very satisfied with them.  But back then, I had NO other options, so spending $289 was the only way to get a mid-length.   There are less expensive options for sure.

CMMG - I replaced my last RRA mid-length barrel with a 14.5" mid from CMMG.  I put it together myself, and just got it back from www.ar15barrels.com having the flash suppressor permanently attached.  The balance is AWESOME, and it feels lighter than my 16" Bushmaster superlight.  It's not, but the balance makes it feel that way.  With a DD 9.0 and standard FSB on it, it really looks like an SBR since there's only 2.5" of barrel out past the front sight.

I also just put together a build using a Denny's guns Recon barrel, and that thing is a LASER!

I have no experience with Sabre or Bravo Company, but I wouldn't hesitate to give them a shot if I were in the market for another mid-length.  

No offense to RRA, because I like and use their uppers and lowers and parts, but I think their HBAR+ barrels (stainless excluded) are a weak spot for them.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 10:04:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm a big fan of the mid-length, so I've owned a few...

Armalite - Nice because they are a medium-light profile from the get-go and chrome lined, and for a very reasonable price.

RRA - The HBAR (that's FULL HBAR, as in .920 all the way to the gas block!) is ridiculous in a chrome moly barrel.  I owned two of them.  One from ADCO with the additional $50 government profile job, and one from Pete in NH that I sent to KKF for a "turn and flute".  I was much happier with the balance of them after the weight loss.  Trust me, that thing is FAT.  It weighs more than a comparable Bushmaster HBAR because there is no step-down before the gas block like most companies.  Once I had them profiled, I was very satisfied with them.  But back then, I had NO other options, so spending $289 was the only way to get a mid-length.   There are less expensive options for sure.

CMMG - I replaced my last RRA mid-length barrel with a 14.5" mid from CMMG.  I put it together myself, and just got it back from www.ar15barrels.com having the flash suppressor permanently attached.  The balance is AWESOME, and it feels lighter than my 16" Bushmaster superlight.  It's not, but the balance makes it feel that way.  With a DD 9.0 and standard FSB on it, it really looks like an SBR since there's only 2.5" of barrel out past the front sight.

I also just put together a build using a Denny's guns Recon barrel, and that thing is a LASER!

I have no experience with Sabre or Bravo Company, but I wouldn't hesitate to give them a shot if I were in the market for another mid-length.  

No offense to RRA, because I like and use their uppers and lowers and parts, but I think their HBAR+ barrels (stainless excluded) are a weak spot for them.  

Armnalites area  medium-light profiel?  Since when?  As far as I always knew they were heavy like the RRA barrels(?)
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 11:44:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Armnalites area  medium-light profiel?  Since when?  As far as I always knew they were heavy like the RRA barrels(?)

I had two back about 3 or 4 years ago.  They were profiled similarly to their AR10 barrels.  The area under the handguards was contoured lightly, as in smaller diameter than the step behind the gas block.  Armalite CALLS them HBAR, and they're not government profile by any means, but still not anywhere near the HBAR that other companies offer either.  I don't know what they are now.

Nobody I've seen (except Wilson, duh) has the uber-HBAR like Rock River.  At least bushmaster steps theirs down about half way to the gas block to around .850-ish or so.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top