User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 6:33:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Tonight I got in from the range, removed all my optics an gadgets, then headed to the bath tub with a couple or old tooth brushes and some dish soap.  After my rifle was spotless, I hit everything with a hair dryer till it was too hot to hold.  Then I drenched it with CLP.  After letting it sit for a few minutes, I wiped away the excess.  Never tried this before, but it was really easy, and my rifle looks beautiful.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 6:45:04 PM EDT
[#2]
You took a bath with your rifle?

Link Posted: 2/26/2011 12:25:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Air compressor.

Clean bore with with MPRO-7 gun cleaner and MPRO-7 copper remover. Spray firearm with WD-40, scrub, use air compressor to blast away dirty solvent, wipe off any remaining WD-40 with a towel, apply lube.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 3:33:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I have used nothing but Hoppes #9 and  Breakfree LP for years. I switched to Weapon Shield a couple years back, but stuck with Hoppes# for a cleaner.  I needed to order more cleaning supplies so I did some research a couple days ago. In the end I order $130 worth of Mil- Comm products. Everything I read about them was very positive. The MC25 cleaner takes care of carbon and grease but it doesn't  remove copper fouling. However I found out they are releasing a new product on April 1st called MC50. This will take care of any copper fouling. I will be ordering a 16oz bottle as soon as it is released.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 6:47:14 PM EDT
[#5]
CLP, the G.I. cleaning kit, and most importantly......my finger!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 6:51:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Always take a bath with the one you love, dosen't everyone?
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 7:40:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lead poisoning is fun

Don't submerge your rifle.

You can't get all of the water out of every single space...so you WILL get rust.

Bad plan...
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 2:53:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, I have to agree here. I can't see how submerging your rifle to clean it is a great idea.

Link Posted: 2/28/2011 4:26:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Air compressor.

Clean bore with with MPRO-7 gun cleaner and MPRO-7 copper remover. Spray firearm with WD-40, scrub, use air compressor to blast away dirty solvent, wipe off any remaining WD-40 with a towel, apply lube.

+1 MPro 7 gun cleaner and +1 MPro 7 copper remover.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 5:01:17 PM EDT
[#10]
MPro7, cotton tip applicators (for cleaning tight spots), Quib's soaking solution (odorless mineral spirits and CLP -  for cleaning bolts, small parts), gun/parts cleaning brush, and Tipton carbon fiber cleaning rods.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 5:08:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Mpro7

FTMFW
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 6:58:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
MPro7, cotton tip applicators (for cleaning tight spots), Quib's soaking solution (odorless mineral spirits and CLP -  for cleaning bolts, small parts), gun/parts cleaning brush, and Tipton carbon fiber cleaning rods.

Q tips by far have worked perfectly for me. Tight spaces are no match for them.

Pipe cleaners I have learned work well for tight spots that are too deep for the Q tip to reach.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 6:58:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Paper towels or a rag for wiping off the majority of the crud. Boresnake for the barrel (a rod for a deep cleaning). Mpro7 or CLP for lube.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 11:00:20 PM EDT
[#14]
A good source for nice cleaning brushes, small sponges for oil, and nice pointed-tip qtips is the makeup area in a nice department store.  I have my wife get a decent selection when she goes to buy makeup.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 2:13:49 PM EDT
[#15]
simple green and hot water. Leaves the rifle nice and dry... and uber clean
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 3:50:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lead poisoning is fun

You can't get all of the water out of every single space...so you WILL get rust.

Don't submerge your rifle.

Bad plan...

See my post on pg.2.WD 40 can get places where water can't,therefore displacing all water.Most any thing that can trap water is made of alum. or plastic but the WD gets it out of there too.I've never had a rust issue.It all depends how anal you are on how you clean your guns. Don't think that these guns stay clean and dry during training or combat/field use.They see worse conditions than a bath tub.

Link Posted: 3/5/2011 5:50:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Shaving cream and hot water. I haven't done that one in awhile though it gets into places when it expands. But other than that just most of the stuff i do has been listed.
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 9:17:00 PM EDT
[#18]
This is my secret weapon. This scraper I made myself.

Link Posted: 3/6/2011 9:35:13 PM EDT
[#19]
This filled with a mixture of OMS and CLP for soaking my BCGs.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:12:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Chamber brush with a long handle, Upper reciver brush & bolt carrier carbon scraper.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top